Modeling Objects in Carrara - Q&A - Come One and All

Comments

• otodomusotodomus Posts: 332

Thank you very much for the sequence Diomede, I have followed it and I could get a good result, not the want I wanted before but of course that modelling in the spline room has its advantages, its quicker than vertex modeller and as 3DAge said it saves memory.

Will follow that video John, thanks much for sending it, still learning friends.

edited March 2017

This is the best result I could get, it shows a nice bevel but the letter does not look bold rounded as I wanted, I have played with all the parameters and couldn't get that, however it looks good.

Rock'n Roll Logo A-09.png
    400 x 373 - 124K
    Post edited by otodomus on
  • DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,078
    edited March 2017

Glad it helped a little, even if it wasn't quite the result you wanted. 

Post edited by Diomede on
    Diomede said:

Glad it helped a little, even if it wasn't quite the result you wanted. 

Yes of course that you helped me very much I have never tried the Spline modeller room before, for this particular case probably is not the best option but I am sure it will be other many ones that will work.

Much appreciated.

Otto

• StezzaStezza Posts: 7,801
    edited March 2017

had fun yesterday and today modelling these two... for a render or three 

rockynbullwinkle.jpg
    869 x 703 - 92K
    Post edited by Stezza on
  • wgdjohnwgdjohn Posts: 2,634

Kewl R&B Stezza.

• TabascoJackTabascoJack Posts: 865

Moose & Squirrel!

• VyusurVyusur Posts: 2,235

Cuties!

edited March 2017

Crazy John's Objects - Letters:  An experiment to be sure that I could get what I wanted.

This is a rather crude capital "B".  My main objective was to see whether I could pull off how to make it using the methods imagined... I'd not even call it a WIP yet but the answer is Yes I can...yaaahooo!

Pic one:  I first created a low poly circle... then used Dynamic Extrusion in order to have an inner and outer circle... then emptied the center, single poly. Wanting to use Duplicate with Symmetry to aid in it's design... I moved the circle along the a X axis so that it , the top vertice, was atop the green Y axis line, or rather in it's location.  When duplicated this gave me another circle which had a vertice at the green line... then selecting both polymeshes moved them to 0,0,0 so they could be worked on easily.  Then I proceeded to find out what I needed to move or scale and what I could leave in place. Ok... I'll admit there were lots of Undo's of course.  The right side of the upper B is 1/2 of my original circle unchanged... it wasn't looking good and getting late so I put if off until tonight.

Hey it's a wonder what a night's sleep will do to help rest my tiny brain... In short I Scaled it in a lot of places on the left side and also Moved some lines to give it better shape.  Note that the left side is also the left side of the original circle shape... kewl.  Where my misshapen circle joined I did Weld 6 vertices, two at a time, so I'd only have 3... now it is a single polymesh... how cool is that.

Pic 2:  Now to Add Thickness... I did this twice in order to get the center division, lines, which I Looped and Creased.  Great it worked out as I had hoped!  Hey... all quads... I deserve a pat on the back. :)   Now I can go back and start all over and concentrate on a better design... I see a few spots that need touching up to look better.

Pic 3:  Shown with Smoothing at 4... level 3 still showed roughness... edges joining at angles.

LetterB_template.png
    1366 x 768 - 183K
    LetterB_wThickness.png
    1366 x 768 - 288K
    Letter_crazy_B_test.png
    640 x 480 - 310K
    Post edited by wgdjohn on

Well that's quite nice! That roundness is something that I am afraid it couldn't be afford by any other way than vertex modelling, well done still doing those excersises.

edited March 2017

These pieces were modelled from scratch in the vertex room by using the quad modelling, is not much but anyways...

3D Cone and Other Parts.png
    496 x 585 - 112K
    edited March 2017

Good looking orange cone... edges look good, IMO, realistic enough.  Did you design the glass shader for the clear sphere or use a preset?  I've been wanting to find a DAZ logo like you have... did you draw from scratch or grab it somewhere?  I'd like a fairly good size one for reference... have an idea for an anim.

On the plate in back... is the DAZ 3D a transparent .png on top of a proceedural or a green texture or what?  Is anything UVmapped/UnWrapped?

Regarding my Crazy looking "B".  I knew that it was a rather rough design from memory... so I went through Fonts and looked at examples for Sans Serif chars. In most cases the top part is only slightly smaller than the lower part... most are equal, very clean looking... in some circumstances I'm not that far off except for the center bar which divides the top from the bottom... mine is too wide where an actual font has an equal sized center bar as the outer sides... Sometimes for special chars the top is much smaller than the bottom.  Note that when designing italic and tilted chars/objects the bottom of the character is flat with no tilt... only anything above it tilts... except of course for special design fonts.

• TangoAlphaTangoAlpha Posts: 4,584

My handwritten 'B's always look pregnant . . .

LOL... perhaps it was too much ale.

Crazy John's Objects: Letter "B" new and improved.

Smoothing is only at level 2 instead of 4 as in previous "crude" B.

Letter_B_03c.png
    640 x 480 - 413K
    wgdjohn said:

Are you smoothing at level 4? I am only doing it at level 3 no matter how complex the model be that seems to be enough to have the correct roundness, in addition major 3D software do the smoothing at level 3, have you ever tried to set up that of a limit?

wgdjohn said:

Good looking orange cone... edges look good, IMO, realistic enough.  Did you design the glass shader for the clear sphere or use a preset?  I've been wanting to find a DAZ logo like you have... did you draw from scratch or grab it somewhere?  I'd like a fairly good size one for reference... have an idea for an anim.

wgdjohn said:

On the plate in back... is the DAZ 3D a transparent .png on top of a proceedural or a green texture or what?  Is anything UVmapped/UnWrapped?

Hi, wel the cone wass modelled using an 8 side cylinder, and using the extract around tool gives you those nice looking edges.

The cear crystal is the default with some adjustments, but the key is in to duplicate the geometry of the sphere or add thickness, that was a tip MarkBremmer gave me some months ago here: http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/55199/rendering-a-light-bulb-in-carrara

I have redrawn the DAZ logo, if you need it please tell me and I can send it to you!

The Texture on plate was by adding the DAZ logo to a metal texture in PS (Adobe Photo Shop) but you can do a similar job by using the Channel Mixer, I am not so educated to do that but its possible.

edited March 2017
    otodomus said:
    wgdjohn said:

Are you smoothing at level 4? I am only doing it at level 3 no matter how complex the model be that seems to be enough to have the correct roundness, in addition major 3D software do the smoothing at level 3, have you ever tried to set up that of a limit?

No not level 4.  Smoothing is at 2 which I find to be enough in most cases.  Level 3 changes it very little, un poco.

See the VM room closeup pic... I have found a few errors which can happen with Extract Along and Extract Around. I could fix the N-gons easily but I'd rather re-disign my template to see if I can avoid the problem.

otodomus said:
    wgdjohn said:

wgdjohn said:

Hi, wel the cone wass modelled using an 8 side cylinder, and using the extract around tool gives you those nice looking edges.

The cear crystal is the default with some adjustments, but the key is in to duplicate the geometry of the sphere or add thickness, that was a tip MarkBremmer gave me some months ago here: http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/55199/rendering-a-light-bulb-in-carrara

I have redrawn the DAZ logo, if you need it please tell me and I can send it to you!

The Texture on plate was by adding the DAZ logo to a metal texture in PS (Adobe Photo Shop) but you can do a similar job by using the Channel Mixer, I am not so educated to do that but its possible.

Thanks for the details.  I would have never guessed you used a cylinder.  I would, and probably will, start with a 2D square or 3D cube at the base and make the rest using Dynamic Extrusion.

That link has some excellent information both for Glass objects and TangoAlpha's bottle with water.  I've added the link to page 1 with the other useful links.

Thanks for the logo offer ... I grabbed an image from Google pics and will make one myself... I enjoy the practice. :)

B_tris_NGons.png
    1366 x 768 - 322K
    wgdjohn said:
    otodomus said:
    wgdjohn said:

No not level 4.  Smoothing is at 2 which I find to be enough in most cases.  Level 3 changes it very little, un poco.

See the VM room closeup pic... I have found a few errors which can happen with Extract Along and Extract Around. I could fix the N-gons easily but I'd rather re-disign my template to see if I can avoid the problem.

Oh yes, that always happens to me, it occurs when the edges are closer, so I always fix them manually.

edited March 2017

This is the model of cone, in the left the non smoothed mesh and in the right the smoothed, it was modelled really fast starting with the octagon cylinder:

Cone Sample.jpg
    550 x 400 - 204K
    edited March 2017

Crazy John's Objects: Letter "B" All Quads.

After Adding Thickness this time I also Tessalated the object once before using Extract Around.  It paid off since it now has all Quads... no need to tidy up afterwards.  Another bonus is that it no Creasing is used.

Pic 1:  Shows the problem area encountered last time which used to have Tris and N-Gons.

Pic 2: Is rendered with Smoothing at Level 1 on both "B's".

Pic 3: The "B" at far left and far right have Smoothing at Level 2.  The "B" in center, yellow/greenish colour, has Smoothing at Level 3... since I could notice very slightly where the lines joined on the curved part.  Level 4 added no additional Smoothing that I, my poor eyes, could notice.

The polygon count is now at 1972 which I can cut down quite a bit.

Modeling is Funnnn!

B_All_Quads_fromStarToEnd.png
    1366 x 768 - 290K
    Letter_B_10_Smoothing1.png
    640 x 480 - 356K
    Letter_B_10_Smoothing2.png
    640 x 480 - 348K
    edited March 2017

HI! Oh yes that is modelling method many artists use, converting the basic shape rapidly into a subdivided cage, I have seen that it is a good method depending the object, glad it worked in yours.

I have found an easy way to avoid the triangles on the corners of the letter, once you get the extract around the which in py personal opinion gives the best way to get those nice edges at doing the subdivition, you can select the corners and do a quick bevel on them and what you get is nice quads. Will reply later with the results.

edited March 2017

This is the B I have solved by using the method above described, is still present a big triangle there, but the rounded result is good and it has only 320 polygons non smoothed.

B solving quads-1.png
    450 x 319 - 132K
    edited March 2017

B-letter experiments.

disco_letters.png
    720 x 576 - 236K
    Glowing_letters.png
    1000 x 469 - 355K
    2017-03-29_2229.png
    1177 x 876 - 163K
    2017-03-29_2230.png
    887 x 548 - 55K
    Post edited by Vyusur on
  • StezzaStezza Posts: 7,801

Today's render is brought to you by the letter 'B'

I cheated and used the text tool devil

otodomus said:

HI! Oh yes that is modelling method many artists use, converting the basic shape rapidly into a subdivided cage, I have seen that it is a good method depending the object, glad it worked in yours.

I have found an easy way to avoid the triangles on the corners of the letter, once you get the extract around the which in py personal opinion gives the best way to get those nice edges at doing the subdivition, you can select the corners and do a quick bevel on them and what you get is nice quads. Will reply later with the results.

otodomus said:

This is the B I have solved by using the method above described, is still present a big triangle there, but the rounded result is good and it has only 320 polygons non smoothed.

Otto, Kewl!  I like low poly counts but sometimes get carried away.  Regarding your "big triangle"... fixing it would be rather simple... I would Tessalate it Mid Edge to Mid Edge which should convert it to Quads.  I'd then use Extract Along so that adjoining polys would still be Quads instead of the resulting NGons.  Since your polycount is low it won't create that many more... around 16+-.

If you have another method I'd love to here it.

Vyusur,  Thanks for the cool pics and also for reminding me that I need to practice UV UnWraping.

Stezza,  You may have used the font tool but I suspect you modeled those characters and clothing... more than I am good at yet.

edited March 2017

I decided to go play at UV UnWrapping.  Below are 2 examples of a vertex cube... I think I'm on the right track and that either way will work.

For the first pic I selected the top... then the bottom shown at top and botton.  In the center is the entire side which I scaled a bit larger.

The 2nd pic I did all the sides of the cube... the 2 at top of screen are top then bottom.  The others below move from front, right side, back side then left side.  All of these have been scaled individually... they are close but not precisely the same size... is there a way to scale them all at once?

Please let me know if one or both are entirely wrong.  TIA

UVUnWrap_IsCorrect_Question.png
    1366 x 768 - 150K
    UVUnWrap_IsCorrect_Question2.png
    1366 x 768 - 145K

Yes, you are on the right track. And your letter B is very good looking.