Carrara 9...DAZ, I'm begging you.

Comments

• evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,040
    edited December 1969

I agree! Andy, those are mighty fine models you've built!

• HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,919
    edited December 1969

3DAGE said:
    I prefer the Carrara modeller to Hex,.

I really dislike the "validate", validate, validate, every time you do something, ...it's counter intuitive,

I did this in Carrara's modeller, about a week ago.

nice work 3dage

• tsaristtsarist Posts: 1,606
    edited December 1969

I have never used Hexagon (I own a copy of it though).

I almost never use the modelling room in Carrara.
    It seemed so complicated.

I was able to make a few very simple items. I was also able to alter existing models slightly (but that only works sometimes, haven't figured out why).

I agree with the other posters, DON'T change our render engine.
    It would be nice to have Reality Render as a choice.

• 3DAGE3DAGE Posts: 3,311
    edited December 1969

Thanks guy's :)

The ship is based (loosely) on the one in the film "Oblivion" with little tom cruise.
    so I cant take credit for the design,. but it's an interesting concept, since it's all engine and very little wing.
    but I'm glad you like my version of it.

Darkwynde :)
    it's made as one vertex model right now,. but it's made of several different parts, the body started life as a rectangle with some extrusion, and the engines are circles made into hemispheres, or sphere's split in half, to make the front and back, which allows you to UV map them easily.

the hardest part was figuring out the best way to make the the cockpit dome.
    it's basically a sphere on it's side, with bit's cut off

tsarist :)

have you tried the Luxus plugin which Spherical labs created (in just a few days)
    It also uses the LuxRender engine,. ...the same as Reality for DS.

Apparently the Reality plugin for carrara would not have been a viable business proposition,.. so the idea was abandoned
    because of the work involved in creating it,. and the small quantity customers who would purchase it.

It's nice to have the option of an alternative render plugin, but it's not a replacement for Carrara's render engine.
    I also agree that we don't need a new render engine in carrara it's fast and great quality.

bug_ship_4.jpg
    1020 x 740 - 91K
    edited December 1969

3DAGE said:

have you tried the Luxus plugin which Spherical labs created (in just a few days)

No. I saw information about it over in the Cafe, but didn't pay it much heed (been busy lately).
    I just went and looked at it.
    It unfortunately is only Win64 right now. Maybe they will make a 32 bit later.

Apparently the Reality plugin for carrara would not have been a viable business proposition,.. so the idea was abandoned
    because of the work involved in creating it,. and the small quantity customers who would purchase it.

I have never understood that. I remember when we had that thread back at the old forums. It ran a ton of pages and the guy kept saying "not enough people" and I kept thinking, that we had just about everyone in the forums saying yes. Even people who don't normally post. I didn't see any dissenters. I really don't know what the developer expected. That was one of the few times everyone in the forums said YES to anything. Usually there is not that much agreement.

• Kevin SandersonKevin Sanderson Posts: 1,643
    edited December 1969

tsarist said:
    3DAGE said:

No. I saw information about it over in the Cafe, but didn't pay it much heed (been busy lately).

I have never understood that. I remember when we had that thread back at the old forums. It ran a ton of pages and the guy kept saying "not enough people" and I kept thinking, that we had just about everyone in the forums saying yes. Even people who don't normally post. I didn't see any dissenters. I really don't know what the developer expected. That was one of the few times everyone in the forums said YES to anything. Usually there is not that much agreement.

If I recall correctly, Paolo had a certain number in mind and we didn't come close. He needs a big number to justify his time as the plugin is all he does at the moment. Also, when you consider the sale price most folks buy at and DAZ's cut, he has to think about that to keep food on the table. It's his business and he does provide a ton of support from what I've seen here and over at Rendo. Seems like he's always online helping some customer. I'm more impressed with Octane and Arion at the moment, though, than LuxRender. Octane's speed is very fast and the extra features Arion has are very nice along with its speed. Just depends what you want to do. Carrara is very fast for most things except GI and I hear the new version of 3Delight in DAZ Studio 4.6 is much faster.

edited December 1969

If I recall correctly, Paolo had a certain number in mind and we didn't come close. He needs a big number to justify his time as the plugin is all he does at the moment.

I was just saying that I don't know how Paolo could expect more people than everyone that posts in the forums.

Also, when you consider the sale price most folks buy at and DAZ's cut, he has to think about that to keep food on the table. It's his business and he does provide a ton of support from what I've seen here and over at Rendo. Seems like he's always online helping some customer.

I'm not knocking Paolo. He seems like a good person.

I'm more impressed with Octane and Arion at the moment, though, than LuxRender. Octane's speed is very fast and the extra features Arion has are very nice along with its speed. Just depends what you want to do. Carrara is very fast for most things except GI and I hear the new version of 3Delight in DAZ Studio 4.6 is much faster.

Can Carrara use Octane or Arion?

edited May 2013

Octane and Arion can import an OBJ file (you can export a Carrara scene as an OBJ file with textures - you will of course have to tweak those);. Arion requires Vista or Win 7 at this time.

Post edited by Kevin Sanderson on
    edited December 1969

I'm also not knocking Paolo personally,. just the concept that it wasn't viable.

If you have a product selling in the largest available market section, and you look at the numbers in a smaller market section then you'll always come out with lower numbers,. but strategically, it still makes business sense to create that product for the smaller market anyway, since doing that,. makes you the ONLY provider of that product for that market.

Example: a soft drinks manufacturer may make several different beverages under several different brand names, although those brands don't sell the same volume as their main brand,. but it still makes sense to keep those other brands in production, and on the shelf, even if it's just to lessen competition within that market

Working on another version of your main product shouldn't effect the sales of, and income generated by your main product.

Whether the developer is answering customer questions, or actively developing another version,. the time taken to do so is bringing in the same revenue.

• bighbigh Posts: 8,147
    edited December 1969

when he looked at how many people - and then the hours he was going to put in
    - not worth it - and I agree with him

edited December 1969

Kevin :)

I'm with you on Octane,. and thanks for the info on Arion, ...looks interesting,... I'll check out the demo version later.

I've got the Octane for Poser plugin,. and i can export OBJ's from carrara into that if needed,. but I still like the manual method of exporting the OBJ and loading into Octane,. I like building / adjusting the shaders in octane

it would be nice if there was a way to export replicator distribution as CSV from Carrara and use that in octane, or use an image based distribution in Octane,.. or a Plugin for Carrara 2 Octane. :)

edited December 1969

if you want X profit per seat, and the market is smaller, you increase the price per seat.

The currently available market will change as people move to, or from, other software,. and if those users are currently using your plugin product ,. then they'd be more likely to buy your plugin again,.. to get the same tool in their new software.

edited December 1969

bigh said:
    when he looked at how many people - and then the hours he was going to put in
    - not worth it - and I agree with him

I guess we will have to agree to disagree.
    The entire forum signed in and said they wanted it and there was never enough people.
    I really don't know how many more people were expected.

Maybe Daz should have bought it off him and made it part of the product rather than a plug in.

Oh well, spilled milk now.

• SphericLabsSphericLabs Posts: 598
    edited December 1969

tsarist said:

Please give this Win32 build a try.
    -> http://sphericlabs.com/carrara/Win32/Luxus.zip

• Jay_NOLAJay_NOLA Posts: 1,145
    edited December 1969

Some screen shots of an Octane Carrara plugin were posted awhile back on the old forum, but no other info was posted.

On the Octane forums work on a Carrara plugin was in the works way back in 2011.

Several people on the Octane forums have expressed an interest in one being released.

• DustRiderDustRider Posts: 2,691
    edited December 1969

Keep in mind that the Lux developers are focusing more on GPU rendering now (hybrid GPU rendering in the dev versions of 1.3 is working quite good now). The hybrid renderer, though not nearly as fast as Octane, is definitely faster than CPU only, and doesn't have the limitations that a GPU only implementation has.

edited December 1969

tsarist said:

Please give this Win32 build a try.
    -> http://sphericlabs.com/carrara/Win32/Luxus.zip

Hello.
    I tried to download, but the link seems to lead nowhere. Could you please repost?

edited December 1969

Hi Tsarist :)

That link, and that "beta" version may have expired now, since it's officially released,.

The 32bit version and the 64bit,.. worked fine for me,.. on Win 7 pro 64bit.

• ScottRobertsScottRoberts Posts: 6
    edited December 1969

So, maybe I missed it but I'm guessing Carrara is dead now? No new development, last talk of anything was in 2012, we're in mid 2013 now and new versions of other software. Did Daz announce they killed it and want users to go to DS4 or is this just a slow death?

Personally, my studio bit the bullet and went to Cinema 4D with Interposer. WAY faster rendering and doesn't crash which is what I expected and didn't get from Carrara 8.anything. But I still check in from time to time because I really liked it despite its faults, I thought it had real potential, now it seems its been permanently backburnered.

• wetcircuitwetcircuit Posts: 0
    edited May 2013

So, maybe I missed it.

Yep. you did.

Thanks for letting us know, otherwise we might have kept coming here like mindless zombies.

Post edited by wetcircuit on
  • fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,563
    edited December 1969

So, maybe I missed it but I'm guessing Carrara is dead now? No new development, last talk of anything was in 2012, we're in mid 2013 now and new versions of other software. Did Daz announce they killed it and want users to go to DS4 or is this just a slow death?

Personally, my studio bit the bullet and went to Cinema 4D with Interposer. WAY faster rendering and doesn't crash which is what I expected and didn't get from Carrara 8.anything. But I still check in from time to time because I really liked it despite its faults, I thought it had real potential, now it seems its been permanently backburnered.

http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/20690/

edited December 1969

So, maybe I missed it.

Yep. you did.

Thanks for letting us know, otherwise we might have kept coming here like mindless zombies.

LOL

• araneldonaraneldon Posts: 712
    edited May 2013

So, maybe I missed it.

Yep. you did.

'tis not entirely thinkmoremedia's fault though. The news about upcoming releases isn't posted anywhere on this site. Someone only occasionally visiting here might easily miss the fact that Carrara Cafe even exists, and they certainly have no reason to expect official news to be found there.

Edited to replace sexist pronoun.

Post edited by araneldon on
    edited December 1969

I hate to say it, but one post and saying things that could get the natives riled up.... Sounds trollish to me.

• araneldonaraneldon Posts: 712
    edited December 1969

I hate to say it, but one post and saying things that could get the natives riled up.... Sounds trollish to me.

Note the join date. Looks more like someone who doesn't actively participate in (these) forums. There may be a lot of folks like that among DAZ's customers, I don't know.
    edited May 2013

araneldon said:

Note the join date. Looks more like someone who doesn't actively participate in (these) forums. There may be a lot of folks like that among DAZ's customers, I don't know.

That's why I hate to say it, but checking the profile shows a different date. I could just be paranoid. That's why I tried to moderate the tone of my comment.

I saw lots of posts of this nature in some of the Apple specific forums I frequented back when Apple just started making a comeback. There are certain flags that get your attention. Aside from the reasonable sounding tone and the join date, nearly every one of them is in the body of the message.

Post edited by evilproducer on
    edited December 1969

Look at my join date... :-/

Troll is telling us what year it is. 2013... really? Had no idea.

Keep on trollin' Troll. *waves, at driveby Troll*

• ScottRobertsScottRoberts Posts: 6
    edited December 1969

araneldon said:

That's why I hate to say it, but checking the profile shows a different date. I could just be paranoid. That's why I tried to moderate the tone of my comment.

I saw lots of posts of this nature in some of the Apple specific forums I frequented back when Apple just started making a comeback. There are certain flags that get your attention. Aside from the reasonable sounding tone and the join date, nearly every one of them is in the body of the message.

Thanks for the Cafe info, I'll check it out.

I've been around for a long time. Before this new forum and the one before that. I just don't post much (if at all) anymore.
    I have invested more time and money than most in Daz3D since 2003 and Carrara (since it was Render Dream) so I feel I can be critical, if the situation calls for it and I don't mind relative noobs calling me a troll, they'll learn.

edited December 1969

Thanks for the Cafe info, I'll check it out.

I've been around for a long time. Before this new forum and the one before that. I just don't post much (if at all) anymore.
    I have invested more time and money than most in Daz3D since 2003 and Carrara (since it was Render Dream) so I feel I can be critical, if the situation calls for it and I don't mind relative noobs calling me a troll, they'll learn.

Relative noobs, LOL Babe I been with it since RayDream too so no noob to Carrara, and not a noob to forums either. :D

Would love you to stick around and engage in a real discussion, but when people just come here to preach I got a tent in the Texas prarie they can rent. LOL... ;)

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,099
    edited December 1969

I am relatively noob. And even I know how people thought that Carrara was slowly dying since Ray Dream. I like Holly's philosophy, where Carrara isn't dead unless you wipe it from your work flow. But, no... development isn't dead, and there are news posts here and at the cafe telling of more future for Carrara. Not sure if it can make a computer more stable though. Mine certainly hasn't been crashing - though I have been having trouble with the batch queue in this latest build. I better report that.