How can I make this Checker Cab Poser model work right in Studio?

JoeQuickJoeQuick Posts: 1,698
edited October 2012 in The Commons

I picked up a Poser Car, hoping to use it in Studio, and I'm running into an odd problem with the doors. With both of the ones up front, I've got some poly's that won't move with the rest of the door. They work right in Poser, but not in studio. I would have thought it'd have been a falloff zone issue (from my limited experience modeling clothes), but the doors don't have falloff zones.

Taxi.jpg
1365 x 772 - 269K
Post edited by JoeQuick on

Comments

• Midnight_storiesMidnight_stories Posts: 4,112
    edited December 1969

Make sure the poser file is not reading a PMD morph file !

• JoeQuickJoeQuick Posts: 1,698
    edited December 1969

Make sure the poser file is not reading a PMD morph file !

There's no pmd morphs so far as I can see. It all seems to be a very straight forward rig, doors are meant to rotate on an axis, windows slide up and down. only problem is that the front doors are leaving some polygons behind when they open, forming an ugly triangle that connects them back to the main vehicle.

If this were happening on some clothing I'd made, I'd just adjust the falloff zones, but there don't seem to be any falloff zones on this rig, so I don't know why any poly's are being left behind when the doors open. but then again, my rigging knowledge is still very limited.

• DzFireDzFire Posts: 1,473
    edited December 1969

In the Parameters tab, check that the is off. Should be about the last item at the bottom of the Parameters tab

edited December 1969

DzFire said:
    In the Parameters tab, check that the is off. Should be about the last item at the bottom of the Parameters tab

Bend is off.

Trying to get the doors to open in Studio, I tried exporting out the car with it's doors opened from Poser and then loading it as a morph target. After doing so, I get the same weird triangles of polygons, just shooting out from the door and away from the car, rather than connecting the door back to the car. Out of curiosity (wondering if they were shooting out equally far from the car as they were towards it) I then loaded the same morph target with reverse deformations on. It almost solved the problem. Now I just have a single narrow strand of polygons connecting the door back to the car, rather than the large triangular mass.

Loading the exported car with it's doors open into Studio does work. The car shows up with an open door and no strange polygons shooting out anywhere.

Thinking, heck, I'll just open it up in zBrush and make my own door opening morph, or at least a jcm to fix the problem (even though that sounds silly for something as simple as opening a door), I found that the car had n-gons.

Could the n-gons be the root of the problem?

• DzFireDzFire Posts: 1,473
    edited December 1969

It very well may be. If you have UV Mapper Pro or the free download, you can fix all the problems by going to the Tools tab. Select and run Concave, Degenerate, and Collinear (all three) then save.

This should fix it (fingers crossed)

edited December 1969

I ran it through those uv mapper pro functions and it's still goofy. I can just open the door in poser, export it, and import it in to studio. I just need it as a background element anyway. Thank you for the advice, though.

• BejaymacBejaymac Posts: 1,838
    edited December 1969

DS4 treats all Poser figures as if it was a single skin mesh ie it welds it, so check the vertices on the door to see if they are to close to the vertices in the upright, as they could have been welded together.

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    edited December 1969

Bejaymac said:
    DS4 treats all Poser figures as if it was a single skin mesh ie it welds it, so check the vertices on the door to see if they are to close to the vertices in the upright, as they could have been welded together.

Does it do that for files that use external geometry or just those that include the geometry in the cr2/pp2?

edited December 1969

Bejaymac said:

Thank you. This proved to be the solution. It wasn't the rigging, it wasn't the n-gon's, it wasn't the thousands of duplicate unwelded vertices. Once I moved a handful of door vertices away from the main body of the car, the doors now open and close without any strangeness.

edited December 1969

Joequick said:
    Bejaymac said:

Thank you. This proved to be the solution. It wasn't the rigging, it wasn't the n-gon's, it wasn't the thousands of duplicate unwelded vertices. Once I moved a handful of door vertices away from the main body of the car, the doors now open and close without any strangeness.

Well, crap...I guess that means being even more meticulous on mesh construction. There's tons of 'sloppy' meshes out there, that worked in previous versions of the software that probably should be cleaned up...

Of course, modelling just for DS and working only in DS formats may be a bit more forgiving.

Joe, were the vertices in question actually 'touching' or were they just 'near'? Were they close enough that at 'default' settings, the average modelling app would have counted them as dups or welded them?

edited December 1969

mjc1016 said:
    Joequick said:
    Bejaymac said:

Well, crap...I guess that means being even more meticulous on mesh construction. There's tons of 'sloppy' meshes out there, that worked in previous versions of the software that probably should be cleaned up...

Of course, modelling just for DS and working only in DS formats may be a bit more forgiving.

Joe, were the vertices in question actually 'touching' or were they just 'near'? Were they close enough that at 'default' settings, the average modelling app would have counted them as dups or welded them?

I didn't actually look at them. zBrush is my only modeler, and it won't open the cab without converting the n-gons and losing the material groups. (when DZFire's suggestions didn't solve the problem, I just restored the default cab mesh). So what I did to move the polygons was open the doors by "5" in Poser, export out that obj and replace the default one with it. Then load the .cr2 in Studio and changed the parameters for the doors so that they loaded with "-5" as their default state and then resaved the .cr2

edited December 1969

Well, that would move them...but no way of telling how far from their original position they had to be to actually work. I guess one could go and try narrowing it down by trying a smaller increment...or doing the 'by half until it doesn't work' method.

It's looking like tolerances are just tighter on everything in DS4.5.

• BejaymacBejaymac Posts: 1,838
    edited December 1969

As long as the vertices aren't sitting on top of each other you should be alright, you just need to remember that DS4 will convert any Poser figure you import into a fully welded ungrouped single skin mesh (just like Genesis), which is why we had so much trouble with Binary morphs done for a hard split grouped mesh in 4.0.