skydome

Edward_552019Edward_552019 Posts: 122
edited December 1969 in Hexagon Discussion

Wondering if anyone has made a skydome for Studio in Hex? I've made a hemisphere, flipped the normals and then UV mapped a sky to it, only all I get is a grey hemisphere when I send it to Studio. Any ideas what I'm missing?

thanks.

Ed

Comments

• RoygeeRoygee Posts: 2,247
    edited December 1969

Studio doesn't automatically read the textures - you need to load it through the surfaces tab in the diffuse channel.

Here's a quickie I did to illustrate.

skydome.jpg
    800 x 510 - 128K
  • Edward_552019Edward_552019 Posts: 122
    edited December 1969

Thank you! Man, I was pulling my hair out (now I'm bald :) ) trying to figure this one out. Many thanks.

Ed

• Sal UKSal UK Posts: 432
    edited December 1969

Also a great way to make HDRI Skys for it is use Bryce 7 Pro with this http://www.daz3d.com/shop/bryce-7-pro-spherical-mapper you can export the render as HDRI images and use it for lighting in your scene in studio.

Just a thought to expand on what your trying to do.. :)

Steve.

edited December 1969

Happy to have helped.

Didn't know Studio could use HDRI - where do you import them?

• Edward_552019Edward_552019 Posts: 122
    edited December 1969

HDRI? No idea. I added a shader domain and it also worked as desired. I constantly amaze myself at how the most simple and obvious datum continues to confuse me!

Maybe its my old age?

Ed

• Sal UKSal UK Posts: 432
    edited December 1969

Roygee said:
    Happy to have helped.

Didn't know Studio could use HDRI - where do you import them?

Hi Roygee
    There is a converter in studio that converts your hdri into a tif so its readable by DS, here is a Screenshot for you.. :)

Steve.

hdr_tif.jpg
    377 x 731 - 113K
    edited December 1969

Thanks, Sal - please forgive my ignorance - I only ever use DS for the CCT, but I guess I must start learning to use it for renders. I found the HDR converter - don't know how, just clicked away and there it was. Anyway, I clicked on that and it asked for an HDR file, which I located - I have hundreds of them.

It went through some process, but the render was blank. I then looked into my HDR folder and found it had converted to tiff - now how do I get that into Studio to use in a render?