Any tips to encourage confidence in Daz Studio (or Poser or ZBrush or . . . . . . )

Sfariah DSfariah D Posts: 25,702
edited December 1969 in The Commons

I want to make more art than what I currently make but I seem to not have enough confidence in my work. I get afraid that I cannot do a render like how I imagine in my head. Does anyone have any ideas to bring up confidence level so that I can one day be a great artist that I want to be?

Also does anyone else here have issues with being afraid to do art because it might not be good? What do you do to overcome it so you can do your art work?

I am hoping this will turn into a discussion thread.

Comments

• riftwitchriftwitch Posts: 1,404
    edited December 1969

I've only just started in this new-fangled 3d art stuff this year, but as a life-long musician, I can tell you that you can't get good at what you're doing by shying away from doing it.

The best thing is to work on your renders as much as you have time for. When you run into a roadblock, ask the folks here; they seem to be more than willing to help. I've learned a LOT in the last few months.

Don't be too critical of your own work, but be willing to accept constructive criticism from others. You may find that sometimes you're your own worst critic.

In a nutshell, don't stop. Keep on rendering.

• Sfariah DSfariah D Posts: 25,702
    edited December 1969

Thanks!

I think I am having problems with controlling the mouse. That is making doing computer art a bit harder to do.

• Knight22179Knight22179 Posts: 1,195
    edited December 1969

For me, a real confidence breaker is when I post art and NO ONE comments on it. They may look at it, but no one makes a comment. I "used" to get this very frequently. Even if I asked and practically begged for constructive critisism, none was given. For me, that was a real confidence breaker and because of that, I nearly gave up posting my work anywhere because I felt that no one gave a crap about my work.

I mean, how can an artist better themselves if no one is willing to even say anything "in a nice way" on how you can improve?

But then I went to DeviantArt. I thought, "Why not?" So I began posting work there.

I'm VERY glad I did! Now, when people look at my work I will know if they like it or not. They favorite my work a lot. They may not comment very much, but they put my work in their favorites list. I always get notifications on that. I do get comments too, which is always nice.

So, DA has been a real confidence booster, at least for me. I still don't get the constructive critisism I want, though. So, I try and get my hands on any useful tutorials and help me improve.

1. So...Tutorials! Search for any that your interested in. Learn them, memorize them, use them.

2. If you don't already, get a DA account and start posting your work. Join some groups that appeal to you and post your work there so you get better exposure, get more favorites and more comments.

3. If your going for ultra-realism, get the Reality plug-in for Daz Studio. That's an absolute must.

4. If your not into ultra-realism, get a tablet PC and learn how to use that. Learn how to paint using your favorite 2D program and turn your art into fantastic pieces people can gawk at all day.

You don't have to do any of the above suggestions. They are just that...suggestions. I do highly recommend you at least get a DA account though. For me, it's a confidence booster. It may not be for everyone, so go out there and see what can be your confidence booster. :)

Good luck! :)

• Sfariah DSfariah D Posts: 25,702
    edited December 1969

I just added my first image to my DA account. http://missbadwolf.deviantart.com/art/Bearded-Lady-331452290

• ArchWorksArchWorks Posts: 43
    edited December 1969

1. Always strive for change, do not stick to your current render habits because we are so used to our own renders we think its good enough.

2. try experimenting with every type of art styles, it will help a lot and will change your way of thinking things

3. observe other peoples work constantly. I usually observe people at DA who I admire and try to analyze their piece on how its made and try replicating their piece and incorporate their style into mine.

4. look at your old renders and point out the flaws and which parts you don't like and try to recreate that render better.

5. what I hate about Poser figures is their expressions, because it is very creepy and dull looking, try hand dialing you're own expressions, but expressions work different in real life and does not really translate well in Poser because the figures will look really creepy with a "realistic expression"

6. doing pin ups? don't make them smile too much or put too much expression into their faces it kills the picture lol.

I hope these helps and sorry for bad grammar >_<</p>

• FSMCDesignsFSMCDesigns Posts: 12,563
    edited December 1969

My advice, don't rely on others for validation, look at other artists work and decide/learn for yourself. While comments and (constructive) criticism can be a great thing, it can also do the opposite when you don't get any or get bad comments. What moves one person may not move the next.. I find that getting some monetary reward for your work helps in boosting confidence, after all, getting paid for your work is a great form of validation.

If you are looking to improve your skills, study techniques, lighting, composition, photography, etc. All these play big parts in a great image. Dig deeper into your tools and know what all they can do and not just the plug and play aspect.

• RKane_1RKane_1 Posts: 3,037
    edited December 1969

I want to make more art than what I currently make but I seem to not have enough confidence in my work. I get afraid that I cannot do a render like how I imagine in my head.

As an illustrator it has been my experience that things NEVER turn out how you planned. Art is a controlled descent for most. You aim at the target on the ground and try to steer your chute in that direction, If you don't land where you want, usually you are close to it and the end product will have merits either as a happy accident (serendipity) or as a lesson in how NOT to do what you intended to do. You have to accept no one is perfect out of the gate. It is a fallacy to hold yourself to impossible standards.

Does anyone have any ideas to bring up confidence level so that I can one day be a great artist that I want to be?

Find the worst work and analyze what you would do differently. If your answer is nothing, look again. You can do better because you recognized the poor work in the first place. How can you avoid doing the same. How can you do better?

Do SOMETHING everyday, even if its preparation for another piece you won't put together for a while. Do it everyday at as close to same time as possible. That is sacred time. Have a beginning and an ending and tell others you are NOT to be disturbed during this time. Even and hour or two over the course of a month can yield great results.

Remember when looking at others work that you find superior. DON'T be discouraged. Be encouraged. To be that good will require tenacity and persistence. You will get there. Not tomorrow, but one day and the path there is keeping at it. Use those better than you as inspiration. Analyze what you believe the steps they took to get to the end product were. If you are ever unsure, ask them. If they are not available, ask around. Be absolutely relentless in your pursuit of knowledge. Learning the steps to take is important but not as important in taking a few missteps if no path is clear. It's just art. There are no landmines.

Enjoy something silly. Taking yourself too seriously is POISON to art. Watch Monty Python. Wear a silly hat. Be fearless in your ludicrousness and good things will come of it.

Also does anyone else here have issues with being afraid to do art because it might not be good? What do you do to overcome it so you can do your art work?

You DO it. Everyday, without fail. If you have someone you are scared to show it to, then don't. It's yours. Poison people always will minimize what you do. Seek and cultivate supportive environments to show your work in. Have a critique buddy. Find someone whose work you admire and the ask them to periodically analyze what you are doing if the public eye is too much for you. Outside educated input from a supportive person or network of people is crucial to making sure you don't keep making the same mistakes and to ensure you have a different point of view on issues with the work.

I am hoping this will turn into a discussion thread.

Works for me. I have hosted creativity workshops but most of my stuff is not 3d.... yet. *smile*

• Knight22179Knight22179 Posts: 1,195
    edited December 1969

Arch_Clan said:
    6. doing pin ups? don't make them smile too much or put too much expression into their faces it kills the picture lol.

Interesting. Back on Animotions, when I used to post art there, people kept saying to put more emotion my characters in my pin-ups.

• Kendall SearsKendall Sears Posts: 2,995
    edited October 2012

#1 rule. Take the word "Art" out of your vocabulary. The word has been socialized into a meaning that implies things that it shouldn't. If you are trying to create "art" you'll put too much pressure on yourself.

Create what you create. It doesn't need to happen in one session, one day, one week, or one year. It need not ever get "done", so long as you are happy with where it is going.

#2 rule. Forget about the adjective "good". There is no such thing as "good" art. One person's masterpiece is another person's fishwrap.

Others don't define good, you do. If you are happy with what you create, who cares what others think? If you want "pointers" ask for pointers, but keep to *your* vision.

#3 rule. What you end up with will not be what you started to create.

Your vision will change as the project matures -- make sure that it is YOUR vision. The tendency is to morph your art to resemble what others have done, what others recommend, what others think would look "good." This is especially the case where you ask for "pointers." A technical pointer can lead you astray. Stay true to yourself, even if it doesn't look like it at the moment.

#4 rule. And the most important: HAVE FUN WITH IT.

Does this mean that "fun" doesn't include frustration? Not necessarily. Sometimes the fun is defeating the challenge, sometimes it's not.

And finally, some personal advice: When dealing with software, you're destined to run into something that your software of choice can't do. Don't be afraid to expand your toolset to include software that can. Even if you only need a single feature of that other software, use it. Sometimes one will become too focused on the procedure and lose the view of the goal.

Kendall

Post edited by Kendall Sears on