My ShareCG Freebies will be available until OCT 31

edited December 1969 in Freebies

ShareCG is making changes...and I will not be subscribing to the new site.

I have an issue with not being able to access a site that will be generating revenue with my content.

So on Nov 1st I will be deleting my content on ShareCG-As of now I do not have a new place to put it so it is up in the air as to whether it will be available again.

Get it now or forever hold your peace (maybe) ;)

http://www.sharecg.com/pf/full_uploads.php?pf_user_name=Moonfly

Comments

• robkelkrobkelk Posts: 3,259
    edited December 1969

While I'm sad to see them go (and very sad to see one of the very few Kururu freebies disappear), I respect your principled stand.

Have you considered making your freebies available on Renderosity? I have no idea what hoops you'd have to jump through to make that happen, but if you do, at least they'd be up somewhere.

• edited December 1969

I am looking into that now......with the upload limit, the zip requirement, the approval limit, etc etc.....It would require me to change EVERY file format-edit down a few hundred texture sizes and spend about 2 months uploading a file a day.

So basically I will add them there at my convenience, but I just really cant promise that all or most will ever make it up.

I hate to be that person whose freebies go poof because I know how it is when you cant find that freebie.....and the owner of ShareCG has the right to do whatever he wants with his site. But he seems to be uninterested in having any consideration for the people who are GENERATING the traffic to his site-to the point where we cant even get a reply to answer any questions about our concerns.

I do check my inbin here periodically-I will do my best to make any of my freebies available on Rendo by request. I will put the Kururu stuff at the top of the priority for now.

• robkelkrobkelk Posts: 3,259
    edited October 2012

Thank you, Moonfly. I'm happy that your work won't be disappearing altogether...

Oh! I just had another thought - there are more than a few 3D artists who make their free items available on DeivantArt. Again, I don't know what sort of hoops you'd have to jump through to use that site as a distribution point.

Post edited by robkelk on
  • edited December 1969

I forgot about Deviant Art. lol

I think a small number of my freebies are available there-I havent logged in to my account there in AGES-I will have to go take a look :)

• mCasualmCasual Posts: 4,601
    edited December 1969

Moonfly12 said:
    ShareCG is making changes...and I will not be subscribing to the new site.

I have an issue with not being able to access a site that will be generating revenue with my content.

So on Nov 1st I will be deleting my content on ShareCG-As of now I do not have a new place to put it so it is up in the air as to whether it will be available again.

Get it now or forever hold your peace (maybe) ;)

http://www.sharecg.com/pf/full_uploads.php?pf_user_name=Moonfly

it worked pretty well for me using a free google-site, ( https://sites.google.com/site/mcasualsdazscripts2/home ) when i filled up the first 100 megs site, i simply created a new one on the same account, i'm not sure what the limits are, maybe 10 Gig total

they accept .rar and .zip and even uncompressed files

• edited December 1969

I think I am just going to go with Rendo-since it is where most people go.

I am just going to add stuff as I have the chance

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    edited December 1969

Where in ANYTHING that has been decided about what changes are being made was the decision to STOP free access?

Before you go off...try reading what Dave Heller is saying, not all the comments.

And another thing...think about this.

Which would you rather have?

Basic free services that include advertising and an option to subscribe and opt out of that...or nothing at all?

A totally ad supported site, the size of ShareCG is NOT viable, in the long run. Minimally, Dave is paying $1500/month for hosting services (probably 3x that). The amount of 'click throughs' that needs to be generated to support that level (considering each 'click is about 1/10 of a cent...) is enormous.

And where is that different than anywhere else?

DeviantArt is a 'free'/paid subscription model.

GoogleSites are supported by Google and are a 'loss leader'...in so much as they generate a very small portion of Google's income.

Rendo is mostly supported by the store...

And 'free' hosting is supported by ads and/or subscription to remove them.

Finally, ISP provided hosting is supported out of your monthly ISP bill and is usually very limited, mostly in storage and bandwidth. (And you don't want to be caught going over on the bandwidth...as most ISPs will charge you for that).

Even 'paid' hosting is 'generating revenue' from your site/stuff...because they charge an amount that will pay their bills AND generate a little profit.

• Alisa Uh-LisaAlisa Uh-Lisa Posts: 1,308
    edited December 1969

Wait - I thought that subscribing was an OPTION. You can also choose to keep things just as they are now and NOT subscribe. Am I incorrect?

• edited December 1969

I did not go off. And as I said-It's Dave's site and he can do with it as he pleases.

This economy SUCKS and I cant pay for my medicine-never mind pay for a subscription.

And really-my stuff is free. I intended it to be free-it is not quality enough to charge for in my opinion-and even if it was-I still made it to be free.

Dave can do what he likes/needs to do.

And so can I.

Chill.

• edited December 1969

Wait - I thought that subscribing was an OPTION. You can also choose to keep things just as they are now and NOT subscribe. Am I incorrect?

That is not how I am understanding it

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    edited December 1969

Since we don’t want to alienate anyone I had a meeting with Engineering to see if we could allow users to opt-in to an ad free experience. We are able to do this, and here’s how the opt-in will work.

If you opt-in to the subscription model your presence on the site (all your pages) will appear with no ads regardless of whether or not the visitor to your pages is logged in to the site. Also, when you are logged in, you will experience an entirely ad free site.
    As a subscriber:
    Your presence on the site will be enhanced with new features as they are released. (The ability to present different types of related media in your View page is the first one you’ll get, as shown in these two examples: http://tinyurl.com/9futa62http://tinyurl.com/9td7x83 . We’re also adding additional reporting functionality that will allow you to know who has downloaded your work. We’ve got many more enhancements that we’re working on and that you will automatically receive.)
    By default you will be included in an upcoming site social network. But, you will be able to uncheck one box and opt-out of this capability at any time.
    You will be authorized to sell your items in an upcoming e-store.

Between now and November 15th the site will remain exactly as it is today. After November 15th you will have the option of doing nothing and continuing to experience the site as it is now, or subscribing and taking advantage of a better experience for you and your visitors.

Those are Dave's words...direct from the email that was waiting in my inbox this morning....the second quote is the most specific statement I've seen...don't subscribe, nothing changes. Simple.

Pay the $10 for the year and get ad free access, a chance to have stuff in the upcoming store and a couple of other features, plus everything you get now. Don't pay, stay at the current level of service. Basically, the same model as DeviantArt uses...

edited December 1969

Well, this should allow you to keep your things where they are, Moonfly, if you are so inclined. Whatever you choose, thanks for sharing them!!

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

I have to admit I read it as Alisa did. I am simply going to leave things as they are. I know I am lucky in already having a "fail safe" in situ, should things go wrong, as Kendall has already said it will not be too much problem to add the files hosted at Share CG to my main site, but I see it as reading that if you don;t change things, then they will stay just as they are.

• TeloxiTeloxi Posts: 21
    edited October 2012

Moonfly. I got an email from David Heller:

"Hi LadySythe .... If you don't mind the ads, and are happy with the site as it is now, then you do not have to become a subscriber. Becoming a subscriber is optional. Just continue to enjoy the site as is.

Enjoy!

David"

It looks like we can keep our free sharecg.com accounts and the subscription is optional. We just keep the ads, which I don't mind at all. I had to have it clarified.

BUT otherwise, you can add your freebies on deviantart.com. It's harder to find that way, but it does work. I've got a few freebies on my gallery on deviant.

Post edited by Teloxi on
  • WilmapWilmap Posts: 2,917
    edited December 1969

I'm not going to subscribe. I shall leave mine as they are at the moment.

I have ad blocker on my browser so I don't see the adverts anyway.

• cridgitcridgit Posts: 1,757
    edited May 2022

Redacted

Post edited by cridgit on
  • jeeperzjeeperz Posts: 1,102
    edited December 1969

I have talked via e-mail with David and he is going to keep the site the same as it is now but offer subscriber to pay $10 a YEAR to use the site ad free if they want to also.

• edited December 1969

Yeah-I just got a reply from Dave. I guess I just misunderstood how it was going to work-so as of now I will be leaving things as they are. :)

edited December 1969

Moonfly12 said:
    Yeah-I just got a reply from Dave. I guess I just misunderstood how it was going to work-so as of now I will be leaving things as they are. :)

Easy enough to have misunderstood! Glad your work will remain so people can continue to enjoy it!

• MattymanxMattymanx Posts: 6,878
    edited December 1969

For alternatives, I suggest DA or Mediafire. DA can show promos but MF can host any file you want and hide stuff too so you can use it to share certain files with only certain people and not have to email everyone.

• SemicharmSemicharm Posts: 373
    edited December 1969

I agree that the first email was rather vague. I wasn't sure if I was going stay either, but I'm glad they cleared that up.

Mattymanx said:
    For alternatives, I suggest DA or Mediafire. DA can show promos but MF can host any file you want and hide stuff too so you can use it to share certain files with only certain people and not have to email everyone.

I wouldn't recommend mediafire. More than once they wiped all of my files without ANY notification! That's just unacceptable. I'm considering DA anyway. It's never good to leave all your eggs in one basket. (Actually, you guys are free to post my freebies anywhere you want. I don't mind.)