Question about Rons Brushes

RiggswolfeRiggswolfe Posts: 899
edited October 2012 in The Commons

I have quite a few of them after the PA sale. I've been trying to use them in the latest version of Gimp but it seems to freeze. I've included a picture below. (Note I renamed a few brushes that had names that started with ! and @ in an attempt to see if the naming scheme was an issue for Gimp) Putting them into their own subfolders didn't help either.

So, my question is as follows. Do these brushes work fine with say Photoshop Elements? I see I can get version 10 for $60 off of Amazon. Is there a plugin I need for Gimp? It says it does .abr brushes natively in the latest version but I can't get it to work without crashing/freezing.

rons_brushes.jpg
672 x 755 - 74K
Post edited by Riggswolfe on

Comments

• SzarkSzark Posts: 10,634
    edited December 1969

I have a handful of Ron's brushes and all work in PSE6. I can get some to work in GIMP but boy is it hard work and takes some time to load.

• Proxima ShiningProxima Shining Posts: 969
    edited December 1969

Ron´s brushes work in Gimp but you cannot put all of them in the Brushes folder, or Gimp freezes whilst loading. Try only 2-4 brushes. It works for me, although it is a nuisance. If you want to use other brushes, you must delete the previous ones from Brushes folder before putting the new ones there. Gimp cannot handle so many of them at once, they are too big I guess.

• RiggswolfeRiggswolfe Posts: 899
    edited December 1969

That is probably the issue. Too many at once. So basically I need to know what brushes I want to use. Is Photoshop better about this and more 'friendly' than Gimp towards brushes?

• jmperjmper Posts: 257
    edited December 1969

That is probably the issue. Too many at once. So basically I need to know what brushes I want to use. Is Photoshop better about this and more 'friendly' than Gimp towards brushes?

Yup, I use PS and can load numerous full batches of Ron's brushes. No hang or slowdown.

edited December 1969

Do you put them each in their own sub folders or do you just lump em all in the brush folder? I'd think sub folders would help with organization. *eyes that copy of Elements on Amazon*

edited October 2012

Do you put them each in their own sub folders or do you just lump em all in the brush folder? I'd think sub folders would help with organization. *eyes that copy of Elements on Amazon*

I keep them in sub folders...i have a lot of brushes so for example, I would have a smoke/fog folder with any brush sets that fit the bill.

Post edited by jmper on
    edited December 1969

For my low powered computer PSE is better on this side. I have no issue loading any brushes. Even though I learnt to only load one set of Ron's brushes at a time in GIMP it can still freeze. It all depends on the brushes for me.

edited December 1969

Keep this link handy if you get an older PS edition:
    http://www.texturemate.com/content/abrmate-tutorial-convert-newer-adobe-photoshop-cs-brush-ps7-format-use-any-photoshop-version

The brushes will work but you will need to convert them.

edited December 1969

jmper said:

I keep them in sub folders...i have a lot of brushes so for example, I would have a smoke/fox folder with any brush sets that fit the bill.I do then same. No point in clogging up things that don't need to be clogged up. :)

• PennamePenname Posts: 343
    edited December 1969

I use Elements 9 exclusively and all Ron's brushes work fine. I have a huge quantity of brushes and although I can't always see them all in the drop-down list, I can load any of them. Some are in sub-folders and some are not; it all works. Just FYI. I'm a fan of Elements because of its low price and usually pick up the next to last version on sale. I guess it depends on which features are most important to you, and your budget allocations.

• ShaneWSmithShaneWSmith Posts: 636
    edited December 1969

There's an ABR preview program that will export to PNG. I am able to use these brushes in Paint Shop Pro 7. This might be a viable alternative to those of you experiencing crashes.

I'm not at home right now, so can't recall the name of this little program, but it's free and only about 80kb.

edited December 1969

There's an ABR preview program that will export to PNG. I am able to use these brushes in Paint Shop Pro 7. This might be a viable alternative to those of you experiencing crashes.

I'm not at home right now, so can't recall the name of this little program, but it's free and only about 80kb.

Could it be the one I linked to, above?

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565
    edited December 1969

abrviewer: http://sourceforge.net/projects/abrviewer/

• ShaneWSmithShaneWSmith Posts: 636
    edited December 1969

abrviewer: http://sourceforge.net/projects/abrviewer/

I just came back on to link to that site.

That's the one. Thanks!

edited October 2012

I got Photoshop Elements 10. I followed advice in this thread to do a bit of editing of a photo by only sticking 2 or 3 brushes in the gimp brush folder at a time. It actually worked but it was annoying because if I had an idea to try something else I had to save the render jpg. Close Gimp. Swap out brushes. Reload gimp. Reload the jpg and continue my work.

The best part is Elements 10 only cost me $40 because I had some Amazon rewards from a credit card I have. Ironically the credit card I used during the PA sale!

Post edited by Riggswolfe on
  • kloolessklooless Posts: 115
    edited December 1969

I use GIMP and find GURM works extremely well for organizing and using my brushes. The only thing I can't do with it is use sub-folders under a general category. I usually make a general category, like smoke and put all my smoke brushes in that category. When I want to use smoke brushes, I run the GURM filter and load up the smoke brushes. The only brushes that load automatically each time I open GIMP are the basic brushes that come with it. You can get GURM here: http://registry.gimp.org/node/13473