Well, here goes nothing.

TyonnTyonn Posts: 0
edited December 1969 in Bryce Discussion

This is my very first render using Bryce, and Hexagon for the Sub & Boat. I was just curious if anyone has any tips to make it look just a bit better. I was promised by and Admin that you guys don't bite, so go easy on me, I'm still a rookie lol. Any helpful tips would be highly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Sub5.jpg
800 x 500 - 93K

Comments

• mermaid010mermaid010 Posts: 4,996
    edited December 1969

I'm a rookie too, and impressed by your first render.

• HoroHoro Posts: 10,117
    edited December 1969

This is my very first render using Bryce, and Hexagon for the Sub & Boat. I was just curious if anyone has any tips to make it look just a bit better. I was promised by and Admin that you guys don't bite, so go easy on me, I'm still a rookie lol. Any helpful tips would be highly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

No, we don't bite. If this is your first Bryce render, you did well. The models look great at this size. The foam about the sub looks very good.

The sky can be improved. This is the default sky, use a custom sky and set the colour more naturally, blueish-grey instead of pinkish. Unless you went for an overcast day, elaborate a bit on the clouds. The haze line can be dissolved. This is not straight forward. Increase the cumulus cloud height. If you don't use them, switch them on, move the cloud height up, then switch the cumulus clouds off again.

If you used gamma correction for rendering, switch it off. In all, except a very few cases, it spoils the render. Set the Sky Dome colour to black. It is a radial at the zenith that doesn't cast shadows. Increase the sun's intensity instead. Also, set shadow intensity to max, or at least nearly so. Do not use Ambience on the materials and if you must, use it very carefully. It tends to make the parts in the shadow appear flat. If the shadows are too dark, use a radial light and switch off shadow casting to brighten things up a bit.

I think that's enough for a start. Keep going, you made a good debut already.

• TyonnTyonn Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Horo said:

Thanks in advance.

No, we don't bite. If this is your first Bryce render, you did well. The models look great at this size. The foam about the sub looks very good.

The sky can be improved. This is the default sky, use a custom sky and set the colour more naturally, blueish-grey instead of pinkish. Unless you went for an overcast day, elaborate a bit on the clouds. The haze line can be dissolved. This is not straight forward. Increase the cumulus cloud height. If you don't use them, switch them on, move the cloud height up, then switch the cumulus clouds off again.

If you used gamma correction for rendering, switch it off. In all, except a very few cases, it spoils the render. Set the Sky Dome colour to black. It is a radial at the zenith that doesn't cast shadows. Increase the sun's intensity instead. Also, set shadow intensity to max, or at least nearly so. Do not use Ambience on the materials and if you must, use it very carefully. It tends to make the parts in the shadow appear flat. If the shadows are too dark, use a radial light and switch off shadow casting to brighten things up a bit.

I think that's enough for a start. Keep going, you made a good debut already.

Thanks guys.

Horo, the foam I did in Gimp. I appreciate the tips on giving it a new look. I've only had these programs for about a week now so I'm still figuring them out. As soon as I find all this stuff you mentioned, I'll fix it to your specs and see how it comes out.I'm looking forward to the new look of it. I really do appreciate the help.

edited December 1969

I'm a rookie too, and impressed by your first render.

Thank you mermaid!

• LordHardDrivenLordHardDriven Posts: 937
    edited December 1969

Fine job for a rookie whose only been playing with Bryce and Hexagon for a week or so. You seem to be a fast learner to accomplish that much in a week. That being the case I highly recommend the Bryce Tutorials thread in this forum it's loaded with useful tutorials on how to do all sorts of amazing things with Bryce. Especially the ones by Horo Wernli here whose already responded to you and David Brennin who will likely be responding to you soon if he hasn't already done so by the time I finish my own response to you. I say especially them because most of the others predate Bryce 7 and while they are still very relevent I feel like David's and Horo's are even more so since they're based on Bryce 7.1 Pro. They also have a site dedicated to Bryce tutorials where one can find their tutorials as well as most of the older tutorials. One or both of them should have it promoted in their signature with a banner but in case they've changed that the tutorial site is http://www.bryce-tutorials.info/

edited December 1969

Fine job for a rookie whose only been playing with Bryce and Hexagon for a week or so. You seem to be a fast learner to accomplish that much in a week. That being the case I highly recommend the Bryce Tutorials thread in this forum it's loaded with useful tutorials on how to do all sorts of amazing things with Bryce. Especially the ones by Horo Wernli here whose already responded to you and David Brennin who will likely be responding to you soon if he hasn't already done so by the time I finish my own response to you. I say especially them because most of the others predate Bryce 7 and while they are still very relevent I feel like David's and Horo's are even more so since they're based on Bryce 7.1 Pro. They also have a site dedicated to Bryce tutorials where one can find their tutorials as well as most of the older tutorials. One or both of them should have it promoted in their signature with a banner but in case they've changed that the tutorial site is http://www.bryce-tutorials.info/

Hello LordHardDrivin,

Thanks for the comment, I appreciate it. I'm gonna go check out the tutorials and see what kind of cool things I'm missing. I have a very vivid immagination and I'm looking forward to learning these programs and putting my thoughts into a render. Thanks again and thank you for the link to the tutorials.

• LordHardDrivenLordHardDriven Posts: 937
    edited September 2012

Hello LordHardDrivin,

Thanks for the comment, I appreciate it. I'm gonna go check out the tutorials and see what kind of cool things I'm missing. I have a very vivid immagination and I'm looking forward to learning these programs and putting my thoughts into a render. Thanks again and thank you for the link to the tutorials.

No problem, I hope they're of some interest/use to you. Oh and welcome to the Bryce Community.

Post edited by LordHardDriven on
    edited December 1969

Thank you, I'm glad to be here. Those tutorials will help me out alot with what I'm looking for. .

• tdrdtdrd Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Stick with Bryce Bill. I am new to it also and have found it very helpful asking questions to the group.
    You will find it very theraputic and also frustrating from time to time, but persevere as I am sure you will succeed as long as you have the drive and the inspiration.
    I am impressed with your first render, and I admire you for creating something with Hexagon... another Daz tool I have not yet wandered into because I have been too busy learning Bryce, but I will venture into that product at a later date.
    Welcome to the community.

Terry