Easy way to measure you figure height

Zev0Zev0 Posts: 7,044
edited September 2012 in The Commons

Simply rotate Genesis on the X rotation to -90degrees to place it lying on the Floor. Switch camera to top. The floor grid is measured at 1Mx1M per square. Now you can see exactly how tall your figure is.

measure.jpg
960 x 882 - 84K
Post edited by Zev0 on

Comments

• michaeltoomichaeltoo Posts: 219
    edited December 1969

Zev0 said:
    Simply rotate Genesis on the X rotation to -90degrees to place it lying on the Floor. Switch camera to top. The floor grid is measured at 1Mx1M per square. Now you can see exactly how tall your figure is.

That's a really handy tip, thanks Zev0! :-)

• GoneGone Posts: 833
    edited December 1969

It's been noted many times that DS uses centimeters for scaling so you can simply load a plane primitive, "Y" translate to the top of the figure and read the height in centimeters.

• murgatroyd314murgatroyd314 Posts: 1,436
    edited December 1969

I usually use this.

• macleanmaclean Posts: 2,438
    edited December 1969

Or use a 100cm cube primitive, then change the YScale (easier than a plane because it loads on the floor at zero). Yscale of 170% = 1.70cm

mac

• Zev0Zev0 Posts: 7,044
    edited September 2012

I have most of those measurement tools, but I have become lazy so thats why I do it this way lol. Plus its quicker.

Post edited by Zev0 on
  • AscaniaAscania Posts: 1,838
    edited December 1969

maclean said:
    Or use a 100cm cube primitive, then change the YScale (easier than a plane because it loads on the floor at zero). Yscale of 170% = 1.70cm

mac

Mac, the plane loads on the floor at zero too. You just drag it up and read off its Y-Position instead of messing with the scale to get the right height. And because DS shows the number right there in the viewport when you do the dragging you don't even need to roll out the Parameters tab.

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    edited December 1969

Zev0 said:
    I have most of those measurement tools, but I have become lazy so thats why I do it this way lol. Plus its quicker.

It is, if you don't have to convert meters to feet...

There was a script, by DeltaX15, Size of... that was wonderful to use. It gives all three dimensions.

It works in 4.5, but the download link for it is at 4shared...which now requires a login.

Here's DeltaX15's page...

http://www.4shared.com/dir/722776/10801f63/DS_Scripts.html

• SnowSultanSnowSultan Posts: 3,505
    edited December 1969

Thanks for the link to that chart Knight22179, that is really useful!

• Knight22179Knight22179 Posts: 1,195
    edited December 1969

Your very welcome, SnowSultan. ;)

• michaeltoomichaeltoo Posts: 219
    edited December 1969

So many different ways to choose from, thanks guys!

• SpyroRueSpyroRue Posts: 5,020
    edited December 1969

This thread is really good... I very much like the plane idea... Sounds very accurate. I'm very big on scaling my characters... Height to me is like the facial features. Thanks for all the different methods! :cheese:

• jestmartjestmart Posts: 4,449
    edited December 1969

You know you can type a math formula into the number boxes. Want a character 5 feet 10 inches tall, type ((5*12)+10)*2.54{the number of centimeters in an inch} and you will get 177.8

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,560
    edited December 1969

...KPL Original came out with a handy height guide prop.

KPL Height Guide

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,655
    edited December 1969

Kyoto Kid said:
    ...KPL Original came out with a handy height guide prop.

KPL Height Guide

It's unlikely to be accurate for both DS and Poser, using the real world units inside Poser, as those assign different values to the basic OBJ/Poser unit.

edited September 2012

...actually in S3A it is quite accurate for it measures the base V4 (with feet flat on the ground) correctly. She comes out at 5'11" and Steph4 at 5'2".

When I used it in Poser Pro2010 I got the same results.

Post edited by kyoto kid on
  • Knight22179Knight22179 Posts: 1,195
    edited September 2012

Well, if that's accurate, SO DOWNLOADED! :coolsmile:

Thanks Kyoto Kid. :)

Post edited by Knight22179 on
  • macleanmaclean Posts: 2,438
    edited December 1969

Ascania said:
    maclean said:

mac

Mac, the plane loads on the floor at zero too. You just drag it up and read off its Y-Position instead of messing with the scale to get the right height. And because DS shows the number right there in the viewport when you do the dragging you don't even need to roll out the Parameters tab.

Hey, that's good. I never thought of that.

mac

edited September 2012

Well, if that's accurate, SO DOWNLOADED! :coolsmile:

Thanks Kyoto Kid. :)

...be sure that it loads at 100%

I really don't care to deal with formulas or complex charts.

...all I want to do is create pretty (and sometimes silly) pictures.

Post edited by kyoto kid on
  • Moebius87Moebius87 Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Cool topic and really cool tools... but that's just height.

Did you know that DAZ figures have "inhuman" proportions? I've been modeling stuff for DAZ figures for years... including environments and props (like furniture). As an architect and an interior designer, I have been doing this much longer in the real world. I've done offices, embassies, homes, condominiums, hospitals, labs and a study for an airport proposal... never got to build one though.

One of the tools we use in customized residential design is a personalized anthropometric chart, which allows us to take the height measurement of our client and then using the "golden triangle" method we are able to work out the incremental measurements that are ergonomically correct for that particular user. These dimensions will range from things like the optimum highest shelf, to door width, to work counter heights, to seat heights, even down to the proper customized stair riser dimension. With the figure drawn beside this chart, it becomes obvious which dimension corresponds to which particular "built-environment" item.

I tried doing this for Victoria 4... and it was most surprising. And more than a little upsetting.

The magic ratio of 1:1.618 doesn't work for this figure... so the proportions are all off. If you set the height at about 1.80m (5' 10.866"), you should be able to get an ideal stair riser of 0.18m (7.087"). That works... so you think that all the other heights apply... so a standard chair height would come in at approximately 0.55m (1' 9.654"), but NO... that doesn't work for this figure. She can be made to sit on that seat height, but her knees stick-up and her thighs aren't perpendicular to the ground. The seat is too low... so you make an adjustment and raise the chair height, but now the standard table height of 0.75m (2' 5.528") might look right, but there's no space for her legs and her knees. Even basic things like a door knob height, which should be at around 1.05m (3' 5.339") is too low for Vicky.

It is really annoying. As you make all these adjustments to fit the figure... at the end of the day it looks off. I guess I am the only one that gets bugged by this, so I have to get over it and move on. I'm not even sure I want to make an attempt at creating an anthropometric chart for the Genesis figures.

Cheers! — Möe

• riftwitchriftwitch Posts: 1,404
    edited December 1969

I've created lots of characters over the years (several hundred), and have detailed notes on all of them, including height. What I've been doing is to add a cube to the scene, with the same height that the character is supposed to be, but before I pose the character, I turn down the opacity on the cube so I can see the character through it, then scale the character to be the same height as the cube. If the character has hair, I turn its opacity off until the figure is scaled to the right height. Then I delete the cube, and I'm good to go. This has been working especially well for me in renders of groups of people.

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,655
    edited December 1969

Moebius87 said:
    Cool topic and really cool tools... but that's just height.

Did you know that DAZ figures have "inhuman" proportions? I've been modeling stuff for DAZ figures for years... including environments and props (like furniture). As an architect and an interior designer, I have been doing this much longer in the real world. I've done offices, embassies, homes, condominiums, hospitals, labs and a study for an airport proposal... never got to build one though.

One of the tools we use in customized residential design is a personalized anthropometric chart, which allows us to take the height measurement of our client and then using the "golden triangle" method we are able to work out the incremental measurements that are ergonomically correct for that particular user. These dimensions will range from things like the optimum highest shelf, to door width, to work counter heights, to seat heights, even down to the proper customized stair riser dimension. With the figure drawn beside this chart, it becomes obvious which dimension corresponds to which particular "built-environment" item.

I tried doing this for Victoria 4... and it was most surprising. And more than a little upsetting.

The magic ratio of 1:1.618 doesn't work for this figure... so the proportions are all off. If you set the height at about 1.80m (5' 10.866"), you should be able to get an ideal stair riser of 0.18m (7.087"). That works... so you think that all the other heights apply... so a standard chair height would come in at approximately 0.55m (1' 9.654"), but NO... that doesn't work for this figure. She can be made to sit on that seat height, but her knees stick-up and her thighs aren't perpendicular to the ground. The seat is too low... so you make an adjustment and raise the chair height, but now the standard table height of 0.75m (2' 5.528") might look right, but there's no space for her legs and her knees. Even basic things like a door knob height, which should be at around 1.05m (3' 5.339") is too low for Vicky.

It is really annoying. As you make all these adjustments to fit the figure... at the end of the day it looks off. I guess I am the only one that gets bugged by this, so I have to get over it and move on. I'm not even sure I want to make an attempt at creating an anthropometric chart for the Genesis figures.

Cheers! — Möe

DavidGB did a series of height charts for the DAZ figures, settings to get a specific real height, and for the most part he had to use the leg length morph to address at least part of the problem you are seeing. So no, you aren't quite alone.

• Great thread, thanks.

• BeeMKayBeeMKay Posts: 6,987

Of course, if you want the luxurary tool, I can recommend this one: https://www.daz3d.com/measure-metrics-for-daz-studio

• InkuboInkubo Posts: 742

You can specify a primitive's height in feet, if you prefer, so I just made a six-foot-tall thin cylinder with six evenly spaced segments and saved it as a preset. Now I just double-click to load a measuring stick into DS whenever I want.