Seamless Looping Fire

StorytellerStoryteller Posts: 80
edited December 1969 in Carrara Discussion

Trying to make seamless fire. Just setting the last frame to the same as the first is giving me a 'yo-yo' effect

any pointers, I only need about 12-24 frames here. I want to get the technique down for other things

Comments

• tsaristtsarist Posts: 1,606
    edited December 1969

Lord Midnight

I'm not at my computer, but if I remember correctly, set the first frame at a high number and set the last frame at a low number.

That should get you a non yo-yo flame.

Best of luck!

• StorytellerStoryteller Posts: 80
    edited December 1969

well, you can see what I came up with on my own here

http://manastar.net/WebPlayer.html

Ill try that next time, its 'ok' for now, but I do think it could use some work

• GSSEVGSSEV Posts: 32
    edited December 1969

Hi,
    I created a set of HD animated looping textures with alpha maps. I have them here with free samples that include a good fire effect.

http://www.3dtreehouse.com/FXtextures.html

you could use this to render at the resolution you need.
    Cheers

Graeme

• StorytellerStoryteller Posts: 80
    edited December 1969

can you describe the process you used to create them?

• GSSEVGSSEV Posts: 32
    edited December 1969

Hi,
    I used a 2d particle effects program called Timeline FX which has some great effects. It can output PNG sequences at any resolition with their alpha maps. I then used Carrara to texture a plane with the animated sequence with alpha maps. This plane can be used in any 3d scene. I used a high resolution output of 2k so the effects can be used in HD work.
    I also subdivided the plane on some effects and inseted a simple bone structure so I could animate the effects shape in Carrara.
    If you download the sample and go in to the texture editor you'll see how it is made up.

Using animated textures is a lot faster than using Carraras particles as some shots don't need the full 3D particle effect.

Hope this helps

Graeme

• ManStanManStan Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

I have a selection of looped gif animations of fire and smoke. Carrara doesn't have a clue what a looped gif is.
    Unless that has changed in C8.5.

I had planed to make several generic looped gifs for TVs, comp screens, control panels.

• JoeMamma2000JoeMamma2000 Posts: 2,615
    edited December 1969

Keep in mind you can always get out your video camera (or cellphone) and videotape a real flame and project that onto a plane or whatever. You can also find tons of videos online of fire you can use if it's not for commercial use.

Nothin' like the real thing.... :)

• evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,040
    edited December 1969

gssev said:
    Hi,
    I used a 2d particle effects program called Timeline FX which has some great effects. It can output PNG sequences at any resolition with their alpha maps. I then used Carrara to texture a plane with the animated sequence with alpha maps. This plane can be used in any 3d scene. I used a high resolution output of 2k so the effects can be used in HD work.
    I also subdivided the plane on some effects and inseted a simple bone structure so I could animate the effects shape in Carrara.
    If you download the sample and go in to the texture editor you'll see how it is made up.

Using animated textures is a lot faster than using Carraras particles as some shots don't need the full 3D particle effect.

Hope this helps

Graeme

The nice thing about Carrara is that if you have a png, Photoshop file, etc. with a transparency, you can use it directly without having to set up a separate alpha channel in the shader.

• SockrateaseSockratease Posts: 813
    edited September 2012

I'd try a simple 2 or 3 keyframed fire with an oscillating tweener.

Should work, but I haven't tested...

Post edited by Sockratease on