A New Hope

Comments

• JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

OPPS!! I forgot you were not one of us Yanks. :cheese:

• BlumBlumShubBlumBlumShub Posts: 1,108
    edited December 1969

I was looking on the Autodesk website today, and I am a li'l confused!

Why would one company have at least 3 products that seem to do the same thing. Maya, Softimage and 3D Max... Why?

• bighbigh Posts: 8,147
    edited December 1969

I was looking on the Autodesk website today, and I am a li'l confused!

Why would one company have at least 3 products that seem to do the same thing. Maya, Softimage and 3D Max... Why?

check the price
    some people like the interface of the program they learn on
    money

• Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Posts: 376
    edited December 1969

It's all about workflow. All of those programs used to be owned by different companies before Autodesk bought them out one after the other. So as not to upset the apple cart too much I suppose they kept them different products as each has a quite unique workflow and toolset and people got used to them over the years.

edited December 1969

That makes sense. I remember Maya being by Alias Wavefront, but I'd forgotten that!

I am struggling to think in 3D when using modellers. I'm so used to drawing on Photoshop I'm thinking "Why can't I just..." and then I come up with several reasons, but no solutions to achieve the desired effect. But that's fine, I'm enjoying the trying! And I will succeed.

edited December 1969

That makes sense. I remember Maya being by Alias Wavefront, but I'd forgotten that!

I am struggling to think in 3D when using modellers. I'm so used to drawing on Photoshop I'm thinking "Why can't I just..." and then I come up with several reasons, but no solutions to achieve the desired effect. But that's fine, I'm enjoying the trying! And I will succeed.

never ;-)

edited December 1969

bigh said:

never ;-)
    Humph :(

• atticanneatticanne Posts: 3,009
    edited December 1969

Meh, it seems some things never change. I leave you Muppets all to yourself for a few months and you're all still here. I don't know if that says something about my life or yours! Lol.

As for why I'm blatantly ignoring all of you, I'm not. Just some major crap happening at work and after that got resolved (we still don't know where 250K went to but the insurance will pay) I was sent to the middle of nowhere and I'm still here because they fired the branch manager here and now I'm it until further notice. I'm stuck with my laptop and get this - No broadband wireless signal at the hotel! I hate my life. Lol.

Atl least there's signal at the office but yeah, not much time to do fun things during office hours. I don't know when my life will be back to normal or how often I'll manage to pop in but I haven't forgotten you guys (and gals).

Squeeeeeee!!! It's Harry, at long last. Your life is certainly always full of adventure. Fantastic to hear from you again. You've been missed. Hope things calm down just a bit so you can pop in more often.

edited December 1969

The did-good part s the part that matters. His memory is obviously still alive around here,c because wherever I go, someone is like ":Oh look, it's Enrico's boy1" And I get excited to talk about him. lol

Just see for yourself how cool he was:
    http://tribstar.com/obituaries_archive_url/x1155712284/Enrico-Aquino-Garcia-Jr

Your dad was definitely someone to be proud of.

edited December 1969

someone small enough to fit through the cat door has broken into my house the last two nights,
    tonight while I was at work, last night while I was sleeping and heard it break the cat flap.
    was not one of my babies as all three were on my bed.
    must be scary mean or they would chase it.

After my neighbors had a raccoon come through their flap, I always shut my down when I go to bed or leave the house. I would rather pick up dog poop than deal with a raccoon (or possum).

edited December 1969

I've been trying out my trial version of Carrara and it's very trying. There are only 3 or 4 days left of the trial period. No matter how hard I try I can't locate the content. Possibly the trial version of C8 didn't come with any and since C8.5Beta evidently uses the C8 content, I can't tell if I want Carrara or not. I've picked up a few freebies, such as shaders, but have no idea where they go. C:/Program Files? F:/Users...../My Library?

Help...

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,667
    edited December 1969

I wish you had more than 3 to 4 days, I could help you but not enough time, I have work next 3 days, then a long weekend

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,667
    edited December 1969

I could have even posted you my Carrara 5Pro disc from a magazine
    includes serial, I have no longer got it on any computer and my laptop it was on had vista reinstalled since so serial not in registry
    (still can if you want but using Poser/Daz content in it more complicated, has no Poser content browser, no fur or 3D paint either)
    but the native content would have worked in 8.

edited December 1969

AtticAnne said:
    I've been trying out my trial version of Carrara and it's very trying. There are only 3 or 4 days left of the trial period. No matter how hard I try I can't locate the content. Possibly the trial version of C8 didn't come with any and since C8.5Beta evidently uses the C8 content, I can't tell if I want Carrara or not. I've picked up a few freebies, such as shaders, but have no idea where they go. C:/Program Files? F:/Users...../My Library?

Help...

C8 - my backup file is 485M for stuff .
    did you get this file ?
    if you did it will install where it has to go .

edited December 1969

My computer was earning its salt while I was asleep! She was busy downloading trial versions of 3DS Max and Softimage. I was curious about their interfaces and such.

Softimage reminds me of the old version of Lightwave I used to use, so I guess some of that will be familiar, but 3DS Max just looks like another Maya.

Good news is that I'm getting used to Maya's interface now, and Carole's going to sneak off back to bed in a little while so I'm going to play for a couple of hours solid on it, which is something I haven't really done yet. Yes, I've played in bits and bobs, but not seriously looked for more than half an hour at a time.

I did have some really cool eureka moments last night with it, and it was all stuff that I used to be able to do in moments with Lightwave, but since Lightwave's interface was all words and Maya's is all icons I've been struggling to find things, and of course I don't know the names of every procedure I want to do yet either, so it's one hell of a learning curve. And this is just with modelling, I haven't started with shading, lighting or anything else yet.

In 3DS Max I did manage to model and render a furry cube. I've never even TRIED to use hair/fur on any other application yet so I just used the basic settings and had a giggle. Anyway, back to Maya!

edited December 1969

Thinking in 3D does take some getting used to but it's not rocket science. The secret lies in the topology of your meshes. There is good topology and bad topology and the best way to learn the difference is to sit down and model something. Topology is all about flow. Get some tutorials and look at the samples. Find free meshes and open them up and really look at them. You'll train your eye to see when the flow makes sense and when it's not making sense. Another important factor is making sure you have enough geometry in places that will bend while keeping unavoidable n-gons (more than 4 sides or lines) to areas that won't be bending.

3D modeling takes many months just to master the basics if you're brand new to it but if you have the perseverance and can stick to it it will all make sense in the end.

edited December 1969

My computer was earning its salt while I was asleep! She was busy downloading trial versions of 3DS Max and Softimage. I was curious about their interfaces and such.

Softimage reminds me of the old version of Lightwave I used to use, so I guess some of that will be familiar, but 3DS Max just looks like another Maya.

Good news is that I'm getting used to Maya's interface now, and Carole's going to sneak off back to bed in a little while so I'm going to play for a couple of hours solid on it, which is something I haven't really done yet. Yes, I've played in bits and bobs, but not seriously looked for more than half an hour at a time.

I did have some really cool eureka moments last night with it, and it was all stuff that I used to be able to do in moments with Lightwave, but since Lightwave's interface was all words and Maya's is all icons I've been struggling to find things, and of course I don't know the names of every procedure I want to do yet either, so it's one hell of a learning curve. And this is just with modelling, I haven't started with shading, lighting or anything else yet.

In 3DS Max I did manage to model and render a furry cube. I've never even TRIED to use hair/fur on any other application yet so I just used the basic settings and had a giggle. Anyway, back to Maya!

have old copy of 3DS max - didn't like it - nothing like Maya
    have old copy of Maya - like it - takes a long time to learn - maybe will try to run it again - have bunch of stuff for it - now if I can find it
    tryed lightwave - didn't like it - so no use looking at Softimage

its just so easy to do animation in DS - that its hard to go back to Maya

edited December 1969

Thinking in 3D does take some getting used to but it's not rocket science. The secret lies in the topology of your meshes. There is good topology and bad topology and the best way to learn the difference is to sit down and model something. Topology is all about flow. Get some tutorials and look at the samples. Find free meshes and open them up and really look at them. You'll train your eye to see when the flow makes sense and when it's not making sense. Another important factor is making sure you have enough geometry in places that will bend while keeping unavoidable n-gons (more than 4 sides or lines) to areas that won't be bending.

3D modeling takes many months just to master the basics if you're brand new to it but if you have the perseverance and can stick to it it will all make sense in the end.

Most of it is about retraining the way I look at things. Obviously when I look at someting in real life I only have the perspective view, and last night one of my eureka moments was the serious abuse of the four-panel view mixed with the perspective view now that I've figured out which button to press to snap to points! Snapping to points is something I used a lot with Lightwave and I couldn't for the life of me find it in Maya, but suddenly I found it right on one of the normal shelves! Bloody typical!

Also I'm finding a few of the regularly used keyboard shortcuts and BAM that's made a massive difference to the speed I can work at.

edited December 1969

I shouldn't have just let Carrara sit there when I should have been playing with it. Totally my fault because I'm a procrastinator. Y'all kept telling me to try Carrarra, but I just piddled around until I decided that 8.5 just may get released during the sale next month.

Thanks for the offer, Wendy. I plan to investigate it more today.

edited December 1969

AtticAnne said:
    I shouldn't have just let Carrara sit there when I should have been playing with it. Totally my fault because I'm a procrastinator. Y'all kept telling me to try Carrarra, but I just piddled around until I decided that 8.5 just may get released during the sale next month.

Thanks for the offer, Wendy. I plan to investigate it more today.

There's a sale next month?

But there's one this month...

OH DEAR GOD!!! I'm never going to have any money!

edited December 1969

Yes, Barry. Next month is October--10th anniversary of the PC. DAZ is determined to seduce us into spending every cent we can beg, borrow, or steal. Each month I tell myself to cut back. Then the bargains show up and I go wild.

edited December 1969

AtticAnne said:
    Yes, Barry. Next month is October--10th anniversary of the PC. DAZ is determined to seduce us into spending every cent we can beg, borrow, or steal. Each month I tell myself to cut back. Then the bargains show up and I go wild.

The problem with me is I'm an easy sell! "Oh that looks pretty, gonna get that!"

Just got several items I don't really need, though I might have to get a refund for some of the ones I'm not entirely keen on.

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited September 2012

WooHoo, and Chohole is now working on a spanking new computer AMD 3Ghz, quadcore 2 HDs 8mb ram and windoze 7

Post edited by Chohole on
    edited December 1969

chohole said:
    WooHoo, and Chohole is now working on a spanking new computer AMD 3Ghz, quadcore 2 HDs 8mb ram and windoze 7

thats great - hope you get a lot of fun out of it

• JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Uh oh! Chohole is up to snuff now. Be careful folks, with all that power behind it the Club will pack a much bigger Wallop!! :cheese:

edited December 1969

chohole said:

Oi! Stop knocking Windows! Microsoft is the best!

P.S. - The above approach is the safest as many people believe Bill Gates is the Anti-Christ and thus it might be a really bad idea to piss him off.

:coolgrin:

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

I am not really knocking Windoze (much) Just seems the newer the version the less they seem to like the user to do and the more MS wants to take control.

Now If I can just work out how to get my Bookmarks back. I did save them in this strange file says its a json file, but now how to I add that to my bookmarks on the new PC. hmmm problems problems

edited September 2012

Oh dear Lawdie, I'm in new territory in Maya, making a forest. It's not modelling, is it?

{EDIT} - EEEEK, where have my trees gone? Apparently, Mentalray doesn't like my trees. Pah, stoopid Mentalray *kicks it*

Post edited by BlumBlumShub on
    edited December 1969

bigh said:
    AtticAnne said:

Help...

did you get this file ?

Nope, don't have this file. I got my C8 trial version from Cnet. It's no longer there, just the beta 8.5.

edited December 1969

AtticAnne said:
    bigh said:
    AtticAnne said:

Help...

did you get this file ?

Nope, don't have this file. I got my C8 trial version from Cnet. It's no longer there, just the beta 8.5.

if you can run the beta 8.5 - you can use DS 4.5 stuff - it will be in smart content .
    I don't know if you can - if you didn't buy C8 .