A New Hope

Comments

• BlumBlumShubBlumBlumShub Posts: 1,108
    edited December 1969

Meh, I'm shopping again. Stupid $1.99 items. Stupid shaders. Pimp My prop just looked so awesome I had to grab it. And all that 1950's stuff. I'm staying away from the weekly PC rendering competition thread from now on. That's what got me started!

Let me know what you think of Pimp my Prop. I looked at the promos and thought the tiling was very small so there was a lot of repetition in the patterns.

The 1950s stuff is great, isn't it? Very flexible too.

• JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Meh, I'm shopping again. Stupid $1.99 items. Stupid shaders. Pimp My prop just looked so awesome I had to grab it. And all that 1950's stuff. I'm staying away from the weekly PC rendering competition thread from now on. That's what got me started!

Let me know what you think of Pimp my Prop. I looked at the promos and thought the tiling was very small so there was a lot of repetition in the patterns.

The 1950s stuff is great, isn't it? Very flexible too.You guys gonna make me look, and I've spent my 3D budget already this month.

Glad to see everyone is doing something. I'm still fiddling with my tutorial. I need to stop trying different PDF editors and just stick with what I have.

• frank0314frank0314 Posts: 13,380
    edited December 1969

I haven't work on anything for the last 3 days, but I guess its time for me to start once I get caught up in the forums today.

• Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Posts: 376
    edited December 1969

@Barry - Pimp My Prop is great. It has different tiling presets so you can choose how big or small tiles are. It won't replace custom build environments but it's very useful if you just want to throw a few things together and make them all look like part of a set. Or if you just want to set up two planes and pretend it's a sidewalk. Lol.

@Jeff - You'll love the 50's stuff and Pimp My Prop. Think Silk Essence or Furify for buildings. Feel the power of the dark side. Mwhahaha. ;)

edited December 1969

@Barry - Pimp My Prop is great. It has different tiling presets so you can choose how big or small tiles are. It won't replace custom build environments but it's very useful if you just want to throw a few things together and make them all look like part of a set. Or if you just want to set up two planes and pretend it's a sidewalk. Lol.

@Jeff - You'll love the 50's stuff and Pimp My Prop. Think Silk Essence or Furify for buildings. Feel the power of the dark side. Mwhahaha. ;)

I did get Pimp My Prop but never looked at the 50's stuff. Those look like some everyday things I could really use. In cart now, what the heck. It's only money.
    edited December 1969

Yeah, I must admit just the fact that it wasn't bits of cotton held together with string for once made me grab it. And give me just plain old pants and shirts any day for male characters. Now I just need some proper john Travolta hair and I can re-create Grease! Lol.

Yeah yeah, I love Grease. Sue me.

edited December 1969

FURRY BUILDINGS!!! YAY!!!

I might have a look at Pimp my Prop. Especially since I've got some props that need pimping!

edited December 1969

It's a poxy Star Wars inspired render, yay.

I don't like it!

Saber_Lights.png
    1920 x 1200 - 3M
  • WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,810
    edited January 2013

bored .................................

Doc8.png
    1920 x 1080 - 1M
    Doc7.png
    1920 x 1080 - 1M
    Doc6.png
    1920 x 1080 - 1M
    Doc4.png
    1920 x 1080 - 1M
    Doc4.png
    1920 x 1080 - 2M
    Post edited by WendyLuvsCatz on
    edited December 1969

oh, I do like your render Barry,
    she is very appropriately dressed for a deep space combat vixen too! %-P

edited December 1969

That's the Guardian set by Mytilus.

I don't even know why I don't like it, I think I just wanted more excitement in the image. I like the guy that's flapping around in the background, he looks suitably worried, but the girl herself looks a bit too relaxed.

edited December 1969

That's the Guardian set by Mytilus.

I don't even know why I don't like it, I think I just wanted more excitement in the image. I like the guy that's flapping around in the background, he looks suitably worried, but the girl herself looks a bit too relaxed.

Her pose is off. Imagine yourself with a big hunk of meat invading your personal space. The usual reflex would be to lean back at least.:cheese:

edited December 1969

she aint backing off!! got that piece o meat by the short and curlies!!

edited December 1969

Actually that was the idea I was looking for but I don't think I pulled it off. I think Harry's right, the pose is off, considering that hunk of meat is about to attack, she doesn't look ready to either defend or counter.

Still, I haven't done all that many renders all in all so I'm happy to at least notice these things :D

edited December 1969

Actually that was the idea I was looking for but I don't think I pulled it off. I think Harry's right, the pose is off, considering that hunk of meat is about to attack, she doesn't look ready to either defend or counter.

Still, I haven't done all that many renders all in all so I'm happy to at least notice these things :D

Ah, but tis an easy thing to rectify mon ami. If it's aggression you want just bend her body forward by a substantial number of degrees. Better yet, let her come face to face with her attacker with her weight resting on her front foot and her back foot enforcing her position. Ugh, now I'm gonna have to go do a quick mock up to explain coz it's not making much sense.

Okay, this is sort of what I mean. My insta posing skills are far from good but I hope you get the gist of what I mean. ;)

pose.jpg
    760 x 945 - 73K
    edited December 1969

Ah, but tis an easy thing to rectify mon ami. If it's aggression you want just bend her body forward by a substantial number of degrees. Better yet, let her come face to face with her attacker with her weight resting on her front foot and her back foot enforcing her position. Ugh, now I'm gonna have to go do a quick mock up to explain coz it's not making much sense.

Okay, this is sort of what I mean. My insta posing skills are far from good but I hope you get the gist of what I mean. ;)

Hehe, thanks Harry. Yeah, I thought about correcting the image but I have a policy of "Once it's done, it's done!" so I haven't changed it. I am going to be working on some more renders using hand to hand violence though so that will come in very handy.

My current image will take well over a day to render, possibly two or even three, judging from the speed it's going. It's very stylised and uses some interesting shaders on far too much of the image! Admittedly if I'd realised at the time it was going to take THIS long I'd have not done it this way, but since I woke up this morning and 20% had been done overnight (about 8 hours), I can see how pretty it's looking and really want to leave it alone until it's finished.

I've dropped the processing priority of DS so I can also work on other stuff, including Max, which I'm really enjoying.

edited December 1969

Hmmmm, that render didn't go so well so I cancelled it.

The problem with lots of reflections is, well, they reflect things! Including all the sneaky little bits of scenery I'd turned off to make the thing render a few minutes quicker! So it looked like there were great big holes in my scenery in the reflections! HAHA!

That'll teach me!

Will set up a render tonight instead. One that's not quite as ambitious.

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

Yes reflections can be nasty sneaky little things. I am doing a render with lots of glass and things, and have reflections I didn't want in some of my glass that actually doesn't have reflections enabled, although it does have a lot of specularity. hmmmph.

edited December 1969

chohole said:
    Yes reflections can be nasty sneaky little things. I am doing a render with lots of glass and things, and have reflections I didn't want in some of my glass that actually doesn't have reflections enabled, although it does have a lot of specularity. hmmmph.

I wanted mine to look like it was on a huge expanse of a suspension bridge but I only used one section of the bridge, which was fine in the main image but failed miserably in the reflections.

Oopsie!

• frank0314frank0314 Posts: 13,380
    edited December 1969

Glass and mirrors are always complicated to do.

edited December 1969

Frank0314 said:

This was a whole scene using Age of Armour's new metalised glass shaders. It was a very stylised scene and I was looking forward to seeing how it came out, but it just didn't happen.

Not to worry, back to the drawing board.

edited December 1969

Frank0314 said:

This was a whole scene using Age of Armour's new metalised glass shaders. It was a very stylised scene and I was looking forward to seeing how it came out, but it just didn't happen.

Oh that was quite ambitious of you. I am having trouble with just a bottle and glass and a mirror in the scene using glass. Mind you they are quite a big part of the scene.

edited December 1969

chohole said:
    Frank0314 said:

Oh that was quite ambitious of you. I am having trouble with just a bottle and glass and a mirror in the scene using glass. Mind you they are quite a big part of the scene.
    My original scene was using a very big set, and after over an hour of rendering had just reached 1%, so I figure it could literally take a week, especially since it hadn't even got to the complicated bit at that point!

edited December 1969

Hmmm.... seems the little club is not clubing much anymore. What happened? I know I was gone too, but really? Nada! From anyone, that's very odd for us.

edited December 1969

I am here

edited January 2013

What club was that, I seem to have forgotten, or were you talking about the trusty moderator club ?????????

Post edited by Chohole on
  • jerriecanjerriecan Posts: 470
    edited December 1969

I'm not much for clubbing. :(

Still mourning my lost scene for Stonemason's contest...

edited January 2013

Oh dear, how did you manage to lose it. Try checking down the back of the sofa, it's amazing how many lost items turn up there.

Edited to add, oh dogz, how can we post without smilies working.

• jerriecanjerriecan Posts: 470
    edited December 1969

Thanks for the suggestion. ;) I forgot to save for a couple hours and then D/S crashed. :( Had the scene almost ready, just fine-tuning it, now I get to start all over again.

And I don't have a sofa. ;)

edited January 2013

Ah Yes save often, is the mantra you should keep telling yourself. One thing I do love about Bryce, and I know all my DS friends would love to have it in DS. It has incremental saves built in. So you can save your first try as "Blah Blah 01" then you do a bit of manipulatings and instead of saying just save you say save as, and bingo it saves you "Blah Blah 2" So even if you get too complimacated, as I do often and do a lot of changes, as long as you keep saving in between you never have far to go back. And once you have finished you can always delete all the steps. Or if you are doing it for a tutorial, you have all the steps you have used. It's a very useful feature.