Why are people advertising non-DAZ lighting training in their signatures

barbultbarbult Posts: 23,050
edited December 1969 in The Commons

Why are people advertising non-DAZ lighting training in their signatures? I've seen it in the signature of several people, I think, Do they work for that company? Do they get some kind of kickback for clicks or something? Does DAZ allow that kind of advertising on their forum? I find it kind of off-putting.

Comments

• MattymanxMattymanx Posts: 6,878
    edited December 1969

DAZ does allow for advertising of products and services not found here at DAZ3D. I cannot quote the specifics from the TOS but they do allow for it.

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    edited December 1969

One of the reasons is that many of the PAs don't just sell their work at DAZ, exclusively...plus there's a lot of 'non-competetive' competition. Overall, this is a fairly small community, so all the places that sell content, working together to some degree enlarge the customer base.

• CypherFOXCypherFOX Posts: 3,401
    edited September 2012

Greetings,

barbult said:
    Why are people advertising non-DAZ lighting training in their signatures? I've seen it in the signature of several people, I think, Do they work for that company? Do they get some kind of kickback for clicks or something? Does DAZ allow that kind of advertising on their forum? I find it kind of off-putting.

They get a kickback, but not based on click-throughs, it's just a flat gift cert per month is my understanding. There was an email that went out to (at least some) customers of one product offering a gift cert a month for folks who were helpful, regularly posting forum members.

The idea I believe is not to incentivize useless posting, but if you're already being helpful, and would like to make money in addition, then adding that in your signature would work. I presume there was a vetting, where the people offered their usernames, and the product owner checked out their posting history, so it wouldn't just be 'some guy/girl' spamming to get the gift cert.

I didn't investigate it further myself, as I pretty much knew what was going to be expected. Plus I'm too new to be particularly helpful, or prolific in posting...and, I admit, I'm looking for beta tester folks to try out my own web service, which means my signature is spoken for. :-)

Hope that helps!

-- Morgan

Post edited by CypherFOX on
  • JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited September 2012

The ADD as it's called is one FREE if you get it, and TWO covers lighting in a way that can be used in MANY 3D programs. I read it last year, it helped me very much. The concepts covered are worth knowing.

You can OPT out of the mailings at anytime. You never need to read ONE. The PDF is saved to my HDD for referance. And I said all that without it in my SIG.

Post edited by Jaderail on
  • barbultbarbult Posts: 23,050
    edited December 1969

Thank you all for your explanations. I investigated that product a few months ago when there was a 30 day free trial or something like that. It seemed to have some useful information. I soon opted out, because I didn't like getting the daily email pushing the product and other things. Rather than encourage me to purchase, it chased me away. I guess that is why I reacted as I did to seeing it being pushed again in people's forum signatures. Now I understand why. I DO like to see people advertising their own products and web stores in their signatures, but not someone else's, I guess.

Morgan, I have your Greasemonkey script. It is great!