Wrong Loaders....DAZ....this isn't cool...

2»

Comments

• CzexanaCzexana Posts: 167
    edited September 2012

Personally, I don't manually install many installers these days - I use a batch file to install to a specified runtime all the installers that I drop in a folder.

I have several runtimes that I broadly separate installation to - V4, buildings, mech, etc - so I found it easiest just to create a batch file that installs to each runtime, all of them sat in a single folder that I can move the installers into.

For example, I ensure that only my Poser format V4 content installers are in my 'Install' folder with the batch files, then I run a file called 'install-ps-V4.bat' which contains

(Note: I had to chop the following lines to fit - they should be one continuous line in the batch file ...)

for %%f in (*.exe) do %%f --unattendedmodeui minimal --mode unattended --accept_license yes 
    --installdir_content "E:\Runtimes\V4" --create_uninstaller no --create_startmenu_shortcuts no 
    --uninstall_previous no

Likewise for my DS format installers (I keep my DS content in one lump - something I may have to rethink in the future) I run 'install-ds.bat' which contains

for %%f in (*.exe) do %%f --unattendedmodeui minimal --mode unattended --accept_license yes 
    --installdir_content "E:\Program Files\DAZ 3D\DAZStudio4\My Library" --create_uninstaller no 
    --create_startmenu_shortcuts no --uninstall_previous no

Note that the only difference is the 'installdir_content' switch, which in each case points to the folder that contains the 'runtime' folder.

Once the installers have run and installed, I move them to an archive folder to store them.

Other folks have done similar things to this, and these switches only work for the current iteration of the content installers, but this was the simplest way for me to set up for myself. As always, YMMV :coolsmile:

Post edited by Czexana on
  • Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,862
    edited September 2012

My "nonsense" was to MS, not to you. It is not true that installers will only install to DAZ Studio, and he and I have discussed this before. It would help if you'd post a screenshot, or shots, showing what you are getting - all installers allow you, by selecting the Customise option if necessary, to install to any folder and once you have set a destination folder for a given type of installer, other than the very oldest (which have mostly been replaced with zips now in any event) the path will be remembered.

Edit: one problem may be that you don't have a "folder" button next to the box with the current path - that can happen with at least some of the DAZ installers if you are using larger than default fonts. You can either paste the path into the text box, or you can put the cursor in the text box, hit tab once to highlight the invisible browse button, and then hit the space bar to press it. I think that sequence works on all installers.

Post edited by Richard Haseltine on
  • SlimerJSpudSlimerJSpud Posts: 1,453
    edited December 1969

Select the custom path and point the installer to the folder ABOVE the Runtime folder as the target. The installer will create or merge with the Runtime folder under the target dir. This should work regardless of the actual target app. See Jaderail's installation tutorial buried somewhere on these newfangled forums.

• DAZ_ann0314DAZ_ann0314 Posts: 2,815
    edited December 1969

Select the custom path and point the installer to the folder ABOVE the Runtime folder as the target. The installer will create or merge with the Runtime folder under the target dir. This should work regardless of the actual target app. See Jaderail's installation tutorial buried somewhere on these newfangled forums.

What he said :) I don't use DAZ Studio, only Poser and I install to Poser with no problem on these installers. :) Never once had an issue. You just have to select custom installation and then as suggested here click the folder above where your runtime folder is so if your runtime is in C Drive - My Documents - Poser for instance then point to the Poser folder. If your runtime is in C Drive - Program Files - Smith Micro then point to the Smith Micro folder. If its on another drive same thing. Just put to the folder that your Runtime folder is in is all and then hit next and it will install with no problem. If you want to show a screenshot of where your Runtime is that Poser is using, I'll gladly tell you what folder you need to point to so there is less confusion on it :)

The installer on this set was double checked by DAZ3D just to be sure and everything is where it should be for the Poser installation. I could buy it myself though if you like and try and install it just to confirm that though if you would like :)

Another thing you could do is make a folder on your desktop and then do custom installation and point to that folder and install the set there. You will be able to see right off if there is a Runtime folder etc in the installer as there should be. If all the files are there then just copy the entire runtime folder from your desktop and go to the folder your runtime is in (the folder your runtime is contained in) and paste :) Sometimes that is the least confusing way to do it for some people and from time to time when I cant find something or seem to be fighting with an install for whatever reason...it's what I do to check everything is there, see what folders it is in, and have more control over my installation in general :)

• IvyIvy Posts: 7,154
    edited December 1969

What he said :) I don't use DAZ Studio, only Poser and I install to Poser with no problem on these installers. :) Never once had an issue. You just have to select custom installation and then as suggested here click the folder above where your runtime folder is so if your runtime is in C Drive - My Documents - Poser for instance then point to the Poser folder. If your runtime is in C Drive - Program Files - Smith Micro then point to the Smith Micro folder. If its on another drive same thing. Just put to the folder that your Runtime folder is in is all and then hit next and it will install with no problem. If you want to show a screenshot of where your Runtime is that Poser is using, I'll gladly tell you what folder you need to point to so there is less confusion on it :)

The installer on this set was double checked by DAZ3D just to be sure and everything is where it should be for the Poser installation. I could buy it myself though if you like and try and install it just to confirm that though if you would like :)

Another thing you could do is make a folder on your desktop and then do custom installation and point to that folder and install the set there. You will be able to see right off if there is a Runtime folder etc in the installer as there should be. If all the files are there then just copy the entire runtime folder from your desktop and go to the folder your runtime is in (the folder your runtime is contained in) and paste :) Sometimes that is the least confusing way to do it for some people and from time to time when I cant find something or seem to be fighting with an install for whatever reason...it's what I do to check everything is there, see what folders it is in, and have more control over my installation in general :)
    that sounded just what I posted ealrier inn the thread...lol
    good advice Ann

• TaozTaoz Posts: 9,732
    edited December 1969

We have let DAZ know about this, I don't know when a fix will be ready - soon, I would hope. It might be worth trying to reset your order and downloading again, in case it's already been fixed (but try it only once - don't use up your resets in case you need them later).

There don't seem to be any limit to the amount of resets anymore. Or at least not right now, don't know if that will change when they.ve got the store set up correcctly.

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,862
    edited December 1969

Taozen said:
    We have let DAZ know about this, I don't know when a fix will be ready - soon, I would hope. It might be worth trying to reset your order and downloading again, in case it's already been fixed (but try it only once - don't use up your resets in case you need them later).

There don't seem to be any limit to the amount of resets anymore. Or at least not right now, don't know if that will change when they.ve got the store set up correcctly.

Ah, that's good to know - I hadn't tried pushing it in case.

• TJohnTJohn Posts: 11,010
    edited September 2012

Taozen said:

Ah, that's good to know - I hadn't tried pushing it in case.

Perhaps due to the many changes and updates to new and newish products, resets are now unlimited.

Post edited by TJohn on