copy surface settings??

hiker_1hiker_1 Posts: 0
edited December 1969 in Daz Studio Discussion

is there a simple way to copy all the surface settings of an item and paste them to another item??

TIA.

Comments

• MedzinMedzin Posts: 337
    edited December 1969

Just highlight the top line, all will be selected, select the other object same way and paste
    However, the receiving object must have the same shader nodes.
    You cannot paste from, say, HSS shader to standard

• hiker_1hiker_1 Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

well.. it's not a complete object... for example... say you had a shirt with contrasting cuffs... i want to copy the sleeve settings to the cuff....

HSS shader->standard??? you 'bout lost me on that one....

Thanks!

• MedzinMedzin Posts: 337
    edited December 1969

You said at first, "All the surfaces"...

It is just ordinary copy and paste.

Again assuming they have similar nodes.

The example I give of HSS is Human Surface Shader. It has extra nodes for Velvet, Subsurface Scattering, Specular2, and so on.
    The number and type of nodes has to match or the copy will not complete. Simple paste does not create nodes

Image3.jpg
    580 x 383 - 28K
  • hiker_1hiker_1 Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

i think i got it now...

thanks for the pic and all! :)

• GjSGjS Posts: 47
    edited December 1969

Medzin said:
    You said at first, "All the surfaces"...

It is just ordinary copy and paste.

Again assuming they have similar nodes.

The example I give of HSS is Human Surface Shader. It has extra nodes for Velvet, Subsurface Scattering, Specular2, and so on.
    The number and type of nodes has to match or the copy will not complete. Simple paste does not create nodes

I always prefer to use keyboard shortcuts because I absolutely hate having to go into the menu list repeatedly especially when working with multiple objects.

That said;

Q: Please can someone tell me what is the keyboard short cut for copy/paste surface?

((PS: In Bryce I think it's Ctrl+Alt C and/then V whereas this function does not work in DS4))

• BejaymacBejaymac Posts: 1,833
    edited December 1969

Sara16 said:
    Q: Please can someone tell me what is the keyboard short cut for copy/paste surface?

Afaik there isn't one, you can copy/paste parameter settings with Ctrl+C & Ctrl+V just not surfaces.
  • Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 95,997
    edited December 1969

You can, of course, assign a new shortcut in Window>Workspace>Customise (Edit>Customise in older versions of DS), by finding the command in the left-hand column, right-clicking on it and choosing the change short cut option. Of course there aren't many free shortcuts to choose from now.

• GjSGjS Posts: 47
    edited December 1969

Thanks guys!

I'll look in customize and see what I can whip up.