Is there a way to Zero materials?

RKane_1RKane_1 Posts: 3,037
edited December 1969 in The Commons

There is a way to zero shape and pose but is there a simple one-button solution for removing all textures, materials, shaders, etc from a model?

Comments

• Joe CotterJoe Cotter Posts: 3,259
    edited December 1969

It would seem you could make a zeroed out shader that you could apply, though I haven't tried it yet myself.

• Zev0Zev0 Posts: 7,045
    edited September 2012

Load blank genesis, click save as depreciated - material preset. You now have a blank material canvas. Works well to remove any texture loaded on a figure. If depreciated doesn't work save as a normal material preset. So far I have not had any issues with depreciated.

Post edited by Zev0 on
  • MEC4DMEC4D Posts: 5,249
    edited December 1969

Load empty genesis without materials and save as MATERIAL PRESET in the same folder as genesis so next time just with 1 click you will erase all materials , it will works also for any other figures and not just genesis ..
    I wish there was a button to reset the materials in the Surface tab , before there was something like apply standard blank shader but now I can't find it anymore

RKane_1 said:
    There is a way to zero shape and pose but is there a simple one-button solution for removing all textures, materials, shaders, etc from a model?
  • macleanmaclean Posts: 2,438
    edited December 1969

Actually, you should zero a single material surface, then save it as a Shader Preset. You then select all materials on any figure or prop and apply it.

If you save a Material Preset, it will only apply to materials with the same names as the model you saved. A Shader Preset can be applied to any selected material(s).

mac

• RKane_1RKane_1 Posts: 3,037
    edited December 1969

Thank you, everyone!

Maclean?

Would you be so kind as to walk me through that step by step?

I am sorry, I am QUITE new to shaders and want to make sure to get it right.

Thanks so much for your help! :)

• macleanmaclean Posts: 2,438
    edited December 1969

A Shader Preset is simply a single material, as opposed to a Materials Preset which is multiple materials. Shader Presets can be applied to any selected material(s), regardless of name, whereas a Material Preset will only apply to materials with the same name(s).

So, for example, if you save a Materials Preset for a human figure, it will only work on another figure with those materials. That's why I said saving a Shader Preset is better. You can apply it to any materials at all, no matter what names they have, and it will work on human figures, buildings, props, etc.

To save a preset
    1. Select any prop or figure.
    2. Select any material on it (in the Surfaces pane).
    3. Set up the material the way you want it (white or whatever)
    4. Go to the Save menu (in the content pane) and choose Shader Preset, then name it.

To apply a preset
    1. Select a prop or figure.
    2. Select the material(s) you want to affect. (To select more than one material, hold down CTRL and click their names)
    3. Apply the Shader Preset you saved

Note that you can also choose to save a Custom Preset in the dialog. That means you could (for example), only choose to affect the Diffuse Color by making it white, but leave all the other settings unchanged. That would leave things like Bump maps in place. To do that, just choose Custom, expand the channels and only check the ones you want to affect.

mac

• RKane_1RKane_1 Posts: 3,037
    edited December 1969

maclean? You rock. Over and out. :)