Historical Poser (and DAZ) stuff

WandWWandW Posts: 2,771
edited February 2016 in Poser Discussion

I happened to visit John Hoagland's site, where he has reviews of Vicky 2 and Mike 2, and reviews of Poser 5 (a comedy of errors!), Poser 6 and Poser 7, among other things. smiley

http://www.cocs.com/poser/

For purposes of Equal Time, here is an announcement for DAZ Studio 1.0...

http://web.archive.org/web/20031205002752/http://www.daz3d.com/pages/dp/development/studio-announce.html

Post edited by WandW on

Comments

• HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,921

• KeryaKerya Posts: 10,943

Thank you! That is fun (and I did begin my Poser journey with P5 *grin* and DS with 1.something)

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited February 2016

I was an Early Adopter for P5.   The first and only time I did the Early Adopter thing. "A Comedy of Errors"  indeed.  A lot of the supposedly early arrival copies for British users got delayed between Ireland and England.  We decided the Leprechauns hijacked them. I remember doing a silly render of a leprechaun delivering mine to the front door when It did finally arrive

Post edited by Chohole on
  • macleanmaclean Posts: 2,438
    Chohole said:

I was an Early Adopter for P5.   The first and only time I did the Early Adopter thing.

Me too. After P5, I waited until I'd seen results before I paid up.

To be fair though, from P6 on, everything went fairly smoothly with Poser. The P5 debacle was a one-off event.

mac

and if you are going to have a one off event,  why not make it a real doozy

Well, to be fair - at SR4 it worked quite well ...

even when people had hacked their software to get rid of the store room *grin* I just searched that thread: http://forum.runtimedna.com/showthread.php?7056-***-Poser-5-Service-Release-4-NOW-Available!-***

Reminds me how people are now hacking DS to get rid of Connect. LOL!

What goes around ...

I had a better idea, I uninstalled, put it back in the box and put the box in the waste bin (for a render, not for real, I do still have the discs)

• WandWWandW Posts: 2,771

My first was Studio 1.8, followed soon after by Poser 7.

Poser 7 got broken recently by an update to Windows 7, but it works agin in Windows 10...

My poser 8 is still working

• nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 17,890
    edited February 2016

I still have me Poser 4 CDs and the stickers that have the license keys on them. Managed to loose about 5 years or so of online purchased content though. How's that for hoarding?

Post edited by nonesuch00 on
  • mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001

Poser 5 is why I waited for a while before jumping into all this...'comedy of errors'? 

Yeah...you could say that.

• WonderlandWonderland Posts: 6,695

I started with Poser 3 LOL.

Well I did actually play a bit with Poser 1.  Found it one a Mag cover floppy disc.Poser has changed a bit since then

• WandWWandW Posts: 2,771

Meshworks posted this link over at RDNA ; March Madness 2006 style... laugh

http://web.archive.org/web/20060404113442/http://www.daz3d.com/index.php

• nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 17,890

I still have some of those products.

• AineAine Posts: 34

lol, looking back is always fun!

I started back with Poser 4 ( and whatever the addon pack was ) Trying to rig figures I could build and use, ( export ) back into Carrara. Jumping a ton of hoops just to be able to build figures which could be re-posed and re-used. I believe I was late jumping into Poser 5, so I guess all the really strangeness had been worked out by then? It wasn't untill Poser 7 and 8 before I would just render in Poser rather than Carrara. Not that Carrara couldn't do what I wanted ( and a bit more ), but getting those texture settings reset on everything before you can set the scene was just too long to do ( Once in Poser, then once in Carrara ). No small deal when you love creating full landscapes for images!

Yea, yea, I know.... buy content then you don't have to make it. but.... where's the fun in that?  ( 'k, one of the odd ones I be )

Poser has been a blessing over the years, both for my need to create models and art, as well as the love of a chase for those... "How can I work around this" moments :)

Oh and just found a Poser 2, and Poser 1 disk a couple of days ago. My other half wouldn't let me put in the "trash pile" .... His software, which he whisked off to hide somewhere. Mine is all in a box... yep, I guess we pretty much horde those too.

• KitsumoKitsumo Posts: 1,210

Was 5 really that bad?  I started with Poser 5 (the content paradise freebie) so I guess I didn't know any better.  I thought it was pretty awesome.

Poser 5 was really bad in it's first incarnation. The P5 Freebie was SR4 - much better!

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    Kitsumo said:

Was 5 really that bad?  I started with Poser 5 (the content paradise freebie) so I guess I didn't know any better.  I thought it was pretty awesome.

Yes...

As Kerya said, it got better overtime, with many updates/fixes.

• RedfernRedfern Posts: 1,574

Alas, 5 was the release that made users seriously doubt the future of Poser and scared D*Z into developing its own render suite.

Sincerely,

Bill

• McGrandpaMcGrandpa Posts: 464
    edited July 2016

Kerya said:

Well, to be fair - at SR4 it worked quite well ...

even when people had hacked their software to get rid of the store room *grin* I just searched that thread: http://forum.runtimedna.com/showthread.php?7056-***-Poser-5-Service-Release-4-NOW-Available!-***

Reminds me how people are now hacking DS to get rid of Connect. LOL!

What goes around ...

I can't believe that old stuff is still around!  LOL!   Can't blame the DS users for hacking the program.   Here's one DAZ will love;  I will gladly run (see attached screencap) but wont even install 4.9.   I have an even older version on a 3.5" floppy, but no floppy drive in any computer now!  Ha!

McG.

DS 0978.jpg
    618 x 468 - 58K
    Post edited by McGrandpa on
  • McGrandpaMcGrandpa Posts: 464

That was 2004?  I'd just stumbled into DAZ3D, downloaded an early pre 1.0 beta of DS and was busy figuring out how NOT to use it and some of the free content.  Kept me busy for a while!  At least I was keeping out of trouble yeah?!  Ha!   Still it took me a while to finally tumble the fact that Figure is something a Character is applied TO.  one does not buy the character without first having the Figure.  That's how I ended up buying TY2, Aiko3 and v3. (Oooh!  THESE items are a LOT cheaper than THIS item!  Shiny!)  Live and learn.  :o)

McG.