Lookout! here comes Genesis, now we can do it in six minutes!

2»

Comments

• SpyroRueSpyroRue Posts: 5,020
    edited December 1969

Ivy said:

Thank you. . I excited and scared both at the same time. this is a diploma course as well.
    I'm excited with the possibility of what i can do with autodesk in animation and to help me in my job as a front end great designer. there is so many applications that people use autodesk for..
    I'm scared because this is expensive course and most of the students are half my age.

I may be hitting you up for help seeming you hve already gone throught it :)

Well off to work everyone have a great Wednesday.

Lol! I'm happy for you! And wish the best of luck :) In tems of the course, depending on where you are, our courses may have some differences as I'm in Australia. However feel free to PM me if your stuck with something and I'll look into it for you :cheese:

You too, Have fun at work!

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,561
    edited December 1969

Khory said:
    Actually I find PP2010 to be more stable than 3.1.2.32

Which is great for you. But I've never had any version of poser that was stable on any of my computers.
    ...interesting, once I updated Flash, P8 and 2010 seem to run just fine on my old XP2 bit system.

...and being able to render in background with the Queue Manager is a lifesaver for an older machine.

Can't use the latest Standalone 3Delight because it requires the scene to be set up in 4.5 (which doesn't really work too well as my system barely meets 4.0/4.5's minimum OGL requirement). Using an older version of Studio (like 3.1.2.32) to set up the scene results in TDLMake errors which leave me with a nice render of a scene with no textures. This is why I have been trying to set scenes up in 3A for rendering in 4.

• ChristenChristen Posts: 240
    edited December 1969

I've never been able to get any version of DS to run smoothly (if at all) on any computer I've had. Not bashing or criticizing, but I have tried, and DS just will not cooperate with me.

• KhoryKhory Posts: 3,854
    edited December 1969

The real point is of course that even if a program does not run properly for you, or even small portion of potential users does not mean that it simply does not work or that it is bad software. I would bet based on forum posts and so on that about the same number of people can't run poser well as can't run studio well. And it is almost always true that only one software is flawed for them.

edited September 2012

DWG said:
    Kyoto Kid said:
    ...when I purchased Poser Pro 2010, I received a complete working application that functioned nicely right out of the box. All of the various tools and "rooms" worked the way they were supposed to. The same with PSP X3 and Photoshop Elements.

And the same with Studio 4.5.

I'm just mentioning that I feel I've found something that works better for me for the time being. So I guess I'll have to be content to 'limp along" with the "imperfect" Gen4 figures (along with Aiko3 and the original Sadie, Sam and Mavka). I see it as tradeoff for more stability and less aggravation.

Which would be fine, except you seem to be criticizing Studio for problems you think you'll find, rather than the situation the vast majority of users are encountering.

@Kyoto Kid - I don't mean to butt in on this subject, But I have been working on daz 4.5 since its release... I have had no problems with it what so ever, in-fact it's been more reliable for me than previous versions. I would suggest rather than critsize the software (Which is still free btw) without having tried it out yourself. Likewise, I do not criticise poser 'because' I don't use it.

Please no one think I'm taking sides in some debate, It's just my opinion. :)
    ...however the vast majority of users are on 64 bit systems with dedicated graphics and more available memory, which makes working with the application a lot easier than I have been dealing with. I tried creating a scene with Genesis and 3DU's Jasmin, a simple backdrop and my 4 point light setup. Oh it rendered fine, but moving props or changing camera positions was excruciating. It was as if I had four Vickies all with heavily transmapped hair set in the full Urban Sprawl2 set with twenty separate light sources. This is why I thought about setting a scene up in 3A and rendering it in 4. When I tried this, I ran into a whole new set of issues involving shaders and MATs being screwed up when the scene was opened in 4.0.

OK, so we all know that 4.0 has some serious issues that were addressed with the 4.5 release. However, my other question is, would such a supposedly "robust" application run any better on my system? Considering that memory management hasn't been Studio's strong suit, for several versions since 1.8, why would I expect that things to be any different? Yes, when one has 8, 12, 16, or 24 G to throw around, it may not present itself as an issue. When you only have 2, it becomes a lot more critical. This is what makes me wonder why they even offer a 32 bit version of the application anymore.

I recently rendered a scene in PP2010 that used raytraced shadows and AO with my Steph4 Leela and a Stonemason set, something sure to crash Studio3A (possibly even 2.3.3) on my system. The scene rendered without a hitch in background mode in about eight minutes.

Now if I could just get around the shader/MAT issues I mentioned above, maybe I would find setting scenes up in 3A and rendering in 4.0/4.5 might work great, but having spent now about four days wrestling with this (using a fairly simple scene) and still not having a viable render to show for the effort is to say the least, just a bit discouraging.

Leela_skating_scene.jpg
    600 x 600 - 214K
    Post edited by kyoto kid on
    edited December 1969

Kid - I thought you upgraded, you seemed so excited to start using Genesis and 4.5. FYI, there may be a way around the view port lagging (You'd have to try to know for sure). Go into edit > prefereneces > interface tab... Chances are that your settings for viewport quality are set to high, try lowering these settings and switching off unnecisary features. Also, you may want to close any other aplications you may have open such as iTunes, internet explorer or Photoshop for example, to cut down CPU usage. And the more you have in the scene (Like any 3d software, the higher chances to have lagging).

Hope that helps you :)

edited December 1969

...I have 4.5 but it remains uninstalled. I think the issue rests with m,y system's OGL support. As I mentioned it barely meets the application's minimum requirement. As my system in an older shared graphics chipset, there are no more upgrades/updates for it.

When I do any CG work I have nothing else running nor am I online because I relaise the severe limits I have to work under in 32 bit. I even shut down my security suite (as I am not online).

The scene (attached below) is very simple but lagged horribly in OGL mode.

Dark_Jasmin.jpg
    800 x 800 - 431K
    edited December 1969

Im with ya, I think I mentioned it to you once before, the best comuter for CG is definately desktop over laptop/notebook. Though I prefer Microsoft, many in the art and design industry prefer Mac. Something to work towards ;-P

Btw Its a nice render :)

edited September 2012

...Thanks. Seems that toon characters are about the only ones I can work with in 4 without getting high CPU use warnings.

I must admit I did like the way the Genesis outfit provided with the programme worked with Jasmin. Somewhere in my archives I have that special Genesis content bundle that was offered to PC members a while back.

As to the mechanics, usually it is the rendering that takes forever to complete. The actual render process was surprisingly quick ( I think less than seven minutes including shadow mapping) however this was offset by all the time it took for the viewport to refresh while positioning scene elements, posing, adjusting the camera angles and trying to find where all my content is (I really miss the old Content folder tree in earlier versions. If you set up your own runtimes to fit with your workflow, you didn't need a CMS or "Smart Content' to find anything.

Yeah, it's more work in the beginning, but it pays off in the long run.

I'm not even sure I could build a custom runtime without making 4.5 and the CMS barf.

• JOdelJOdel Posts: 6,250
    edited December 1969

As for the runtime question. I inadvertantly erased my content drive back at the start of the year or thereabouts and had to completely rebuild/reorganize it.

I've got over 50 differently themed runtimes now and am using DS4Pro. I found that I needed to point the content manager at them each twice. Once as a DS content folder and once as a Poser runtime. It makes for a long list of places to go hunting my resources, but I can find everything *much* better than when I had everything sorted into about 10 runtimes and was using DS3A.

For the record, even though I use DS exclusively, I am more likely to use the Poser versions of things, because I fell into that habit back when I had all my DS-specific content in a separate content folder and couldn't find *anything* I was looking for. It's far easier just to have the program switch modes and read the same runtime two different ways.

edited December 1969

...yeah the "Studio" content folder is a mess if you let the installers do what they want. I've had all sorts of useless folders like "Templates", "Data", and even "Readmes" show up in the Content tree. I also hated folders that started with a "!" or 'MAT" (and then there are several permutations MAT[title] MAT_[title] MAT [title] !MAT [title]...etc) at the beginning of the title. Damn hard to find what you wanted.

And don't get me on those who use their vendor rather than the actual content name.

I have a rather nice system now in 3A. I can't imagine how to structure it so the CMS doesn't have a cerebral hemorrhage.

....hearing things like this reinforce my views of Studio 4 requiring one to to be IT tech first, artist second.

• JOdelJOdel Posts: 6,250
    edited December 1969

So far (i.e., the experience of about six months) it's been surprisingly easy.

Mind you, I've never tried to use Smart Content or any of that sort of thing. But if a long list of runtimes is the worst thing I have to deal with, I think I'm getting off lightly. Having to switch between the Poser and Studio lists, is a non issue in some areas, like Shaders, and Genesis content since those are only available in Studio, and the PoserPro 2012 folder is only available in the Poser List. But with over 50 runtimes, I was going to be juggling lists regardless.

edited December 1969

..sounds like that would make my head asplode.

i-a8b1616c1e9f0f4e3d8c180887f766f0-your-head-asplode.jpg
    460 x 460 - 22K
  • IvyIvy Posts: 7,153
    edited September 2012

This story was rendered in Poser 2012. accept for the scene with the dirt falling down the well.
    I did those scenes with daz3a and the nerds rain tool.
    This is the of many stories I have written about the Appalachian Mountains.
    Its kind of cute . the girl that did the voice for this is a a freshman in High School .
    Now I got all the kids wanting to do cartoon voices...lol

Title- Hillbilly tales A farmers Fable.
    Starring Hannah Bennett
    I hope you Enjoy it
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CprfJvwnne8&feature=g-all-c

Post edited by Ivy on
    edited December 1969

..Ivy , that was nicely done.

I wish I could do animation but my old system just is unable to handle the render load.

• IvyIvy Posts: 7,153
    edited September 2012

Kyoto Kid said:
    ..Ivy , that was nicely done.

I wish I could do animation but my old system just is unable to handle the render load.

Thank you, I think I may put a few more of my stories to animation.
    I have a more few high school Kids that want to make the character voice...lol
    Hannah was a student in the drama dept that was my first volunteer, she really poured it on thick. it was great,

I hate that for you about having a crappy system.- "Been there done that"

Post edited by Ivy on
    edited December 1969

...her voice worked so well. It is so different and sometimes difficult doing a voice for animation instead of just getting up on the stage.

The good news, in abut a month I should have everything installed on the new workstation (performing a full clean install of everything as well as building custom runtimes). 12GB, 8 Processor threads, and a dedicated GPU with 288 CUDA cores (actually only important in Blender right now). That should cure a few of the ills I've been dealing with.

Though I'm having second thoughts on the OS as I have been hearing lots of tales about WIn7 that almost make me want to get a copy of XPPro64 instead.

• SickleYieldSickleYield Posts: 7,629
    edited December 1969

Really? That's interesting. I've had zero problems with Win7 either on this laptop (with DS4.5) or my main (currently with DS4/PP2012/P8). And I've only got a 6-core. ;) But then, I never tried XP 64.

To address the original poster -

I've embraced Genesis with such enthusiasm because to me, it is in every way better than V4 and M4. The only shortcoming I've seen with the figure itself is the shape of the default hands, which there are products to change. As with those figures, some vendors support with better features than others at any given store. As far as I'm concerned, the only reason not to use it is that you don't want to use Studio (I don't like Poser Pro comparatively, but I do use it, and I can see its appeal from some perspectives). There is no master-of-none issue. If I did prefer Poser that strongly, I would probably have directed my efforts toward producing some better Ryan products. Every single weight-mapped figure with real clothing support so far is female (and by "real clothing support" I mean "mostly lingerie").

Genesis offers a content creator tremendous freedom to play and invent with so much greater ease than the Gen 4's that there is no comparison. There are a couple of limitations with smoothing and collision that were not present with the Gen 4 meshes, such as their difficulties with discreet submeshes and true beveling on base meshes, but these can be circumnavigated. They're not dealbreakers for me.

I haven't rendered much in 4.5 yet. I'm still trying to figure out a way to cheat the installer and double it up with 4.0 on my main. :D

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,800
    edited December 1969

I love Genesis but could never have touched it or DS4 on my laptop, even DS3 gave me huge amounts of grief from the word go but fortunately I found Carrara and soon after Poser7 which were useable.
    until I got my desktop a year ago almost now, DS was just a plugin for Carrara.
    I still only use it as such btw since Genesis is now working quite well in Carrara 8.5beta
    a lot of studios limitations annoy me but it is free now so cannot knock it too much
    I have a love/hate relaionship with studio
    a lot happier with it since I can open most .duf scenes I save in Carrara where I realy want them inc dynamic cloth animations.
    bypassing studio altogether and full Carrara compatibility for Genesis would still be my ideal.

edited September 2012

Really? That's interesting. I've had zero problems with Win7 either on this laptop (with DS4.5) or my main (currently with DS4/PP2012/P8). And I've only got a 6-core. ;) But then, I never tried XP 64.
    ...yeah, I only have two cores.

I've embraced Genesis with such enthusiasm because to me, it is in every way better than V4 and M4. The only shortcoming I've seen with the figure itself is the shape of the default hands, which there are products to change. As with those figures, some vendors support with better features than others at any given store. As far as I'm concerned, the only reason not to use it is that you don't want to use Studio (I don't like Poser Pro comparatively, but I do use it, and I can see its appeal from some perspectives). There is no master-of-none issue. If I did prefer Poser that strongly, I would probably have directed my efforts toward producing some better Ryan products. Every single weight-mapped figure with real clothing support so far is female (and by "real clothing support" I mean "mostly lingerie").
    ...yes that is correct. After what I have seen of 4,0 on my system I have little faith that 4.5 will be any better. Furthermore, as I already have a huge investment in Gen4, Aiko3 and several toon figures, I'm not in the position to drop hundreds more to make Genesis as useful.

Genesis offers a content creator tremendous freedom to play and invent with so much greater ease than the Gen 4's that there is no comparison. There are a couple of limitations with smoothing and collision that were not present with the Gen 4 meshes, such as their difficulties with discreet submeshes and true beveling on base meshes, but these can be circumnavigated. They're not dealbreakers for me.

...I am well aware of this and this is why I am letting my PC membership lapse when it expires. For the very few "non-Genesis" items that are released these days, it isn't worth the 99$ anymore.

I haven't rendered much in 4.5 yet. I'm still trying to figure out a way to cheat the installer and double it up with 4.0 on my main. :D
    ...that cannot work unless you install each on separate HDDs or separate partitions. You can have 4.5, 3.1, 2.3 and 1.8 all installed but any update within an "X.0" release version will overwrite the previous one if it is on the same drive.

I have rendered in 4.0 and yes it is faster, but my system barely meets the minimum OGL requirement so even a simple scene makes the Viewport react like molasses in a Siberian winter when setting a scene up.

edited September 2012

Kyoto Kid said:

Win7 is slightly less of a system hog than Vista, but definitely a huge leap from XP. There wasn't the application support for XP 64 that there is for the two newer 64 bit OS's, but if you're confident of your rendering software I guess I could see that. In Vista's defense, my backup machine is an AMD quad core (which renders roughly as well as an Intel duo) and it handles Vista 64 just fine. I keep Aero turned off just for efficiency (one doesn't notice it after the first few days anyway).

...yes that is correct. After what I have seen of 4,0 on my system I have little faith that 4.5 will be any better. Furthermore, as I already have a huge investment in Gen4, Aiko3 and several toon figures, I'm not in the position to drop hundreds more to make Genesis as useful.

I can sympathize, because I have two good friends who are in the same sort of position. It's why I do offer occasional Gen 4-compatible products still (almost never rigged conformers, though, because they're so annoyingly difficult and time-consuming by comparison).

...I am well aware of this and this is why I am letting my PC membership lapse when it expires. For the very few "non-Genesis" items that are released these days, it isn't worth the 99$ anymore.

No, probably not.

...that cannot work unless you install each on separate HDDs or separate partitions. You can have 4.5, 3.1, 2.3 and 1.8 all installed but any update within an "X.0" release version will overwrite the previous one if it is on the same drive.

I have rendered in 4.0 and yes it is faster, but my system barely meets the minimum OGL requirement so even a simple scene makes the Viewport react like molasses in a Siberian winter when setting a scene up.

Worth a try. I need another 2TB drive soon anyway. Products in development generate huge intermediate Blender and GIMP files like you wouldn't believe. ;)

Post edited by SickleYield on
    edited December 1969

Kyoto Kid said:

Win7 is slightly less of a system hog than Vista, but definitely a huge leap from XP. There wasn't the application support for XP 64 that there is for the two newer 64 bit OS's, but if you're confident of your rendering software I guess I could see that. In Vista's defense, my backup machine is an AMD quad core (which renders roughly as well as an Intel duo) and it handles Vista 64 just fine. I keep Aero turned off just for efficiency (one doesn't notice it after the first few days anyway).

...but I am still working in XP32.
  • vrba79vrba79 Posts: 1,297
    edited September 2012

I was a Poser user from 1997 to 2011, and I think Genesis is the best thing since sliced bread.
    Even more so, now that figures which were traditionally non-Daz stand-alones are being added to the mix.

Post edited by vrba79 on
    edited December 1969

Kyoto Kid said:
    Kyoto Kid said:

I know, but earlier you said you were thinking about XP64 vs. Win7 64 ("But I am thinking about getting XPPro64 instead"), so I was trying to be helpful in comparing the different options available in terms of system load.

edited December 1969

vrba79 said:
    I was a Poser user from 1997 to 2011, and I think Genesis is the best thing since sliced bread.
    Even more so, now that figures which were traditionally non-Daz stand-alones are being added to the mix.

...I was the same with regards to Daz Studio for the last four years until I installed and started working with PP2010 a few months ago.

...yup, sometimes the grass actually is greener on the opposite side.

edited December 1969

Kyoto Kid said:
    Kyoto Kid said:

I know, but earlier you said you were thinking about XP64 vs. Win7 64 ("But I am thinking about getting XPPro64 instead"), so I was trying to be helpful in comparing the different options available in terms of system load.
    ...with XP I don't have to deal with all this administrator set up mumbo jumbo. On my current system I run it with no user login setup as I am the only one on my machine and it works just fine. XP was (is) a fine OS, for many, Vista was a total bust. The workstation build is strictly CG related, no productivity/office software, no permanent Net access/connection, no networking, and no gaming. I want as little in the way of extraneous processes/software on it to divert resources from it's primary purpose.

If I wanted to get all "geeky" about it again, I'd move to Linux.