WIP THREAD for September NEW USERS CONTEST

1234568»

Comments

• evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,040
    edited December 1969

Looks nice so far. I suggest some shadows for those spot lights that are highlighting your characters.

• Scott LivingstonScott Livingston Posts: 4,331
    edited December 1969

AE: I agree with the others...looks good in general, but play with the lighting (lighting changes might be able to fix the issue that ZamuelNow identified, too).

edited December 1969

Here's my WIP. Lots of work to do, still, especially with posing and lighting, and I'm not too confident that I'll be able to finish on time. Probably bit off more than I can chew, given how late in the month I started. But aside from the deadline issue, I'm happy with how it's coming along so far. :)

Thought I'd post it here, since I know there's not much time left to request and receive feedback...normally I wouldn't post until I was somewhat further along. Lighting and composition-related feedback requested...probably too early for pose and prop-related feedback, I guess.

kyoto2a.jpg
    800 x 640 - 332K
    edited December 1969

Working on the poses...chopsticks are tricky!

kyoto2b.jpg
    800 x 640 - 337K
  • ZamuelNowZamuelNow Posts: 753
    edited December 1969

Might want to make the weapons a little more visible on the characters in the foreground. They're a little too hidden right now.

edited December 1969

Thank you...that makes sense. I think your entry turned out really well, by the way.

• ZamuelNowZamuelNow Posts: 753
    edited December 1969

Thanks. I couldn't decide between gaudy or grimdark for the color scheme and wound up actually doing something sane and reasonable instead. I hope they do choose to do a second annual kit bashing contest because it's pretty fun to do.

With your's, it was pretty awesome once I realized they were ready but it took a bit to notice them. In fact, the contest theme was the main reason I managed to spot them. Shadows look a little flat but I'm assuming that's because it's unfinished.

edited September 2012

Progress...I should have something worth entering by the deadline, although I can't promise it'll have great lighting...

My main source of inspiration is probably pretty clear by now, I suppose. Thanks again for the feedback, ZamuelNow. The image below doesn't reflect any changes to position of the weapons, but you'll probably see that happen in the next update.

kyoto2c.jpg
    800 x 640 - 318K
    Post edited by Scott Livingston on
  • ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

Some impressive images coming along here

Now DON'T forget everyone LAST DAY FOR ENTRIES IS TODAY

• bartman23bartman23 Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Ooooh - I'm not gonna make it :)

As a noob i don't have enough material yet so instead of opening DAZ I'm constantly wandering through the Sale - omg

Ah well - I'll participate in the next one lol

• SasjeSasje Posts: 835
    edited December 1969

bartman23 said:

As a noob i don't have enough material yet so instead of opening DAZ I'm constantly wandering through the Sale - omg

Hi bart, there will be more contests.

And it’s fun to do and there are great teachers here on the wip, you will learn a lot :-)

edited September 2012

bartman23 said:

If you look at last month's contest, there were several images using nothing (or not much) more than the DAZ Studio included content: http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/5085/ But yes, the sale is pretty awesome right now, so if you can afford to take advantage, go for it!

Hope to see you next month! :)

I'm rendering what will likely be my final entry now...hopefully it finishes on time...

Update:
    Render time so far: 2h 48m
    Time remaining before deadline: 1h 45m
    Render Progress: 29%

From these numbers, it's not looking good. But a full hour of that render time was devoted to the shadow maps...and the lower half of the image should render more quickly...so we'll see...

Update 2: (with apologies to John Lennon)
    Oh, I'm just sitting here watching the render line go down.
    It's really moving much too slow...
    No longer think I'm gonna have enough time
    I may have to let it go...

Render Progress: 34%...I'm assuming the contest ends at midnight DAZ time, but even if that's not the case, this may not be ready tonight. The version I already posted to the contest thread is fine though, I guess. Should have started sooner, or at least gone with a higher shading rate. I'll post the finished piece in this thread if it doesn't make it into the contest.

Post edited by Scott Livingston on
    edited December 1969

Here's the final raw render, followed by the final postworked version (I made some minor--I thought--lighting changes prior to the final render, and one was not an improvement, so I fixed it in post by pasting in a small section of the previous render).

kyoto3d.jpg
    800 x 640 - 358K
    kyoto3c.jpg
    800 x 640 - 350K
    edited December 1969

OK, now go and post it in the contest thread quickly, before that is declared closed. We have been a bit lenient on the time, ude to Website problems.

edited December 1969

Thanks, chohole! I've edited my entry post.

edited December 1969

I already posted my (official) entry in the corrsponding thread, just posting here the render only plus the post work version.

Instead of real props I decided to use the bull as a prop...

hit_n_run_cc.jpg
    1832 x 1021 - 466K
    hit_n_run.jpg
    1832 x 1021 - 381K
  • SasjeSasje Posts: 835
    edited December 1969

bartman23 said:
    I already posted my (official) entry in the corrsponding thread, just posting here the render only plus the post work version.

Instead of real props I decided to use the bull as a prop...

Grappig/funny :lol: I like it, I like the color in the second one.
    good job
    edited December 1969

Dank je / Thank you Sas :)

I made it in time - timezone and delay of closing helps. This is the first render that I post, ever.

Sooo - I don't know if its suited for younger audience (!?) - if not feel free to disregard my entry :)

edited December 1969

Well now this is all finished up, and the winners posted in the COntest thread.

But don't fear, more fun to come.

Join us in October's contest

http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/8946/ WIP Thread
    http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/8947/ Contest Thread