Moving an object & using Light Gels

lorimorningstarlorimorningstar Posts: 0
edited December 1969 in New Users

I'm using DAZ 4.5 pro with Windows 7/64-bit.

Two things:

1. I purchased Neon Glow Light Gels for DS. Everything seems to have installed correctly. However, no matter what I do, I can't get these lights to work. Using a Pre-made set doesn't work, or inserting individual elements, or moving the lights around the stage. What I get is a black outline of the model. Or, in some instances, I get one element of the glow light, but not the rim, shadow, or shapes, just the base color. Can someone help me figure out how to get the effects as shown on the shop page (http://www.daz3d.com/shop/neon-glow-light-gels-for-ds)? In my scene I have the model in a dress, the stone, a ground plane texture, and a Dream Skies background .jpg.

2. Next, I purchased StoneWare, Organic 1.0: RoundStone. How do I move the stone to fit in the palm of my model's hand? I can move the stone all over the place, except in front of the model to rest in her palm. Also, is it possible to pin the stone in her palm so it moves with the model when changing perspective?

screenshot3.jpg
800 x 431 - 214K

Comments

• JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

For on thing your looking through the Perspective view, you need to switch to Camera to see what will be rendered. I do not have that set but once you load the light it will need moved and aimed at your figure, it more than likely load in the Default center as most lights do.

You Use the Drop down where it says Perspective view to switch views. You can even look through the Light so you can see what it is pointed at. Then switch back to the camera before you render.

To move the stone select it in the Scene Tab or the Viewport and then Center on it in Perspective view. Zoom in and you can fine tune where the stone is. I do that all the time.

Once you have the stone positioned Right click it in the Viewport and select Change Parent. Pick the part you wish it to follow and accept.

I hope this helps.

edited December 1969

I just got these. You MUST set the lights by hand. They need work to look the best in DS4.5.

• lorimorningstarlorimorningstar Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Thank you Jaderall. The stone/parent thing worked great. Unfortunately, I still can't get the lights to work properly! I've tried adding a camera and checking to see that lights are pointing at subject (they were), inserting each element separately, but still doesn't work.

As an example, the screen shots include one with set_03, which only shows the green glow, but nothing else, and set_07, which completely whites-out the floor plane and does nothing else. Each render results in a black shape.

I really would like to get this to work. Anything else you can add would be much appreciated.

light_gels_set07.jpg
    480 x 258 - 89K
    light_gels_set03.jpg
    480 x 258 - 88K
  • JimmyC_2009JimmyC_2009 Posts: 8,891
    edited December 1969

Is there no Readme for the item? There usually is, and it will be stored in Documents\DAZ 3D\Studio\My Library\ReadMe's.

edited August 2012

EDIT: this out: Are you RENDERing after you add the Lights? The Viewport is not the Full Render. Just a example of what it will look like.

Each Render results in a Black Shape? Post a Render and then post your Render settings.
    Could you also include which PC you use and it's OS and bit format (32/64).

Also please use Large (1000x1000) or so images so I can read them.

Post edited by Jaderail on
    edited December 1969

I'm using Windows 7/64-bit.

Actually, set_03 worked okay...go figure (don't ask me how), but set_07 still resulted in a black outline.

By the way, the readme is an html page, but all the links (including the product documentation link) results in this: We are sorry, but the page you are looking for cannot be found. Not very helpful.

Here are the screenshots (larger) of both the render settings and the rendered .jpg for set_03 and set_07.

light_gels_set07.jpg
    1600 x 900 - 676K
    Gabriella_holding_stone3.jpg
    800 x 1035 - 214K
    Gabriella_holding_stone2.jpg
    800 x 1035 - 307K
    light_gels_set03.jpg
    1600 x 900 - 676K
    edited December 1969

I forgot to ask: what's with the red splotch I sometimes get on the rendered image (her head)?

edited December 1969

The red splotch is a render artifact, caused by Transparency in the hair the lighting and the angle of the camera. I get it as well. Just move your render camera a little little bit. Thank you for the info, I was really asking about the Advanced Render settings. I did notice when playing with this set it was designed with a Standing figure in the Default load position. Your pose might have the figure Below the lights focus. I played with a scene close to yours and I needed to test each light to make sure they were Really on the figure. Also your backdrop plane might be blocking some of the lights as well as your floor plane.

edited August 2012

Okay this is what I learned playing with this set.

(1) The presets work 100% in DS3, not so much in DS4.
    (2) You will need to set the lights by hand in DS4.
    (3) The artifacts disappear when you set all lights to Raytraced Shadows in Parameters.

Here is what I did in ten minuets by just playing with the lights. Tip: Many test renders.

Test_Render.png
    800 x 800 - 317K
    Post edited by Jaderail on
    edited December 1969

Wow, yours looks really nice. Thanks for the advice - I'll play around with it and try your suggestions.

Thanks again!

• ShaggeShagge Posts: 74
    edited December 2012

I'm running into a similar issue with the xmas gel bundle. When try to load the light I just get a regular spotlight. I cannot figure out what is going on. Any help you guys could give I would be grateful.

Post edited by Shagge on