Show Us Your Bryce Renders!

Comments

• LordHardDrivenLordHardDriven Posts: 937
    edited December 1969

tornado said:
    Thank you for your nice comments everyone !
    Jamahoney, I agree about the light colors : my render was actually more contrasted but when I turned it into a jpeg with gimp, in order to post it on this forum, the image somehow became half transparent and it lost some of its contrast.
    Mermaid, I also love your beach scenes, there is a great atmosphere here... David Brinnen's tutorials are definitely very useful, aren't they?

It's best to avoid jpegs when possible as the compression they use can take away from the picture you're trying to save. Unfortunately the forum software doesn't recognize .bmp and so creates the need to convest to I believe either .jpg, .png or .tiff. Either .png or .tiff would be better choices to convert to over .jpg.

• tornadotornado Posts: 7
    edited December 1969

tornado said:
    Thank you for your nice comments everyone !
    Jamahoney, I agree about the light colors : my render was actually more contrasted but when I turned it into a jpeg with gimp, in order to post it on this forum, the image somehow became half transparent and it lost some of its contrast.
    Mermaid, I also love your beach scenes, there is a great atmosphere here... David Brinnen's tutorials are definitely very useful, aren't they?

It's best to avoid jpegs when possible as the compression they use can take away from the picture you're trying to save. Unfortunately the forum software doesn't recognize .bmp and so creates the need to convest to I believe either .jpg, .png or .tiff. Either .png or .tiff would be better choices to convert to over .jpg.

Thanks! I will remember to use png then, next time.

• greymouser69greymouser69 Posts: 499
    edited December 1969

Having a bit of fun playing around with David & Horo's Deep Space HDRI pack 2 that I picked up during the sale. Model is one I downloaded from the internet and archived on cd back in 2000, not sure if this exact model is still available now. (white star v3.6) Converted from lwo to obj via poseray because that was easier to track down the missing texture files than doing it all in bryce hehe. This WIP image uses the lowest resolution HDRI file but I will be doing a MUCH higher res final render with the highest resolution HDRI for my DA page.

This was also a preliminary test of my home brewed render farm using bryce lightning, 2x core 2 duo 2.4Ghz & 1 core i5 2.6Ghz all running win 7 x64 but I discovered the core i5 can't handle high priority rendering for more than about 30 seconds before it just powers off right in the middle of it. :(

WhiteStar-SpaceHDRI10000.png
    654 x 850 - 693K
  • Dan WhitesideDan Whiteside Posts: 497
    edited December 1969

David - that's a great one of Vicky Godzilla!. Got a good laugh out of it.

Here's my latest, a homage to low budget horror films.

There's one soft shadow spot on the girl but the other 8 lights on the lower level are gradient ranged fill lights which to me creates a nice soft diffuse light.The building has an open front so I could use Sky IBL. About 2 and 1/2 hour render (w/ True Ambience @64 RPP) on 4 cores of a MacPro. Full size version can be found here:
    http://www.renderosity.com/mod/gallery/media/folder_238/file_2370752.jpg

Credits:
    Genesis female w/ V4 GW5 texture maps - DAZ
    Hampton Hair - 3DCelebrity
    Serendipity outfit - Debra Ross
    Strigol Genesis character (the creature) - HAL1
    Alchemy Chasm stage prop - DAZ

Keep up the great work everyone!

whos_there_800.jpg
    800 x 800 - 233K
  • HoroHoro Posts: 10,111
    edited December 1969

@tlantis said:
    The reason why operation deepscan ( 1987 ) at Loch Ness Failed ..........

Great joke. Love it.

This render is inspired by a fantastic work from Horo...Showing a awesome night scene of a lake

Studying his render forced me to use the sky lab very accurate ( i never did this before I used always the color pickers in sky & Fog mode and hovered over the pictograms to set the range )

Thnx Horo, for showing me the picture....

kind Regards...

It is a great honour to have inspired you to this great volcana scene. You are right. The Sky Lab and also the Light Lab are very important. Visual art is about light.

edited December 1969

YAY I found my bryce 4 cd's thanks to horo motivating me to go searching, but that isn't all I found! Stumbled across an old cd I burned back in 2000 with some 3d meshes including a folder of bryce .obp's and guess who wandered over to my bryce 7.1 install and made himself at home as soon as I popped in the cd? EEK he's even infected my forum avatar pic now, guess he can even scare away a predator lol.

Yes I have the original obp of him as released by the creator! I'm sure several of you can name him, and for bonus points how about the man who introduced us to him back in the good old 20th century? I hope the forum does the auto resize thing properly now... :D

This guy looks a bit sad. Give him a nice world, not just a flat plane. He's bored ;)

Great work on the space scene. Thank you for using the Deep Space HDRI 2. It is very nice to see that it was put to very good use.

edited December 1969

tornado said:
    Hello !
    I'm new on this forum (but not so new to bryce). Here's my latest render : a little harbor. Any comments are welcome. (And, by the way, please excuse me if I make grammar mistakes, since english isn't my native language)

Very nice picture but I do agree with LordHardDriven that it looks a bit washed out. This is fine if you intended it to look that way. If you think it could do with a bit more contrast, check that you have not Gamma Correction enabled. It is an easy way to "equalize" a scene but most of the time, it spoils the artwork. Also Ambience for the materials tends to remove saturation. Then there is the Shadow Intensity in the Sky Lab - if set low, the shadows get quite bright. Finally, Sky Dome is a radial light in the zenith that casts no shadows. Most of the time, the results are better if it is set to black.

This advice is only if you would like to have more contrast. If you intended it the way it is, it is good. You did a great job on the breaking waves on the rocks and also the cloud. It seems to be interfering with the houses. The lights in the houses are spot on.

edited December 1969

@mermaid010 - good work on the light rays.

@dan whiteside - Dan, that's a great render. I've used the Al-Khima some time ago. And I put trolls in the alcoves. Yours look much friendlier than mine. Very cool camera position and angle.

• AtlantisAtlantis Posts: 133
    edited September 2012

a City that never sleeps....

about 25 terrains
    20 of them used to create the city scape turned on these terrains AA off, to get a more crispy light effect
    In front of buildings i added a terrain with city light maps II, to get some kind of boulevard effect, with all the funny and colorful light's
    Volcano smoke a flattened lattice made 50% transparent

I know it's again a dark image..lol , but the city scape is the main thing in this render, so not much detail on terrain needed..

Welll .. enjoy :)

Untitled07.jpg
    1200 x 575 - 79K
    Post edited by Atlantis on
  • Dave SavageDave Savage Posts: 2,433
    edited December 1969

Just a quick update on the Custom Gretsch...

This is how it's looking at the moment. I've had to redraw the strap nuts and the control knob because they were all part of the same mesh (couldn't ungroup them) and I needed to to delete the three knobs to replace them with the skull knobs (which are the Soto Expressive Skull, exported from Poser) and re-textured in Bryce).

It's been a royal pain in the backside because every time I tweak the graphics applied to the guitar, I have to import it into the older version of Bryce (because of the picture import bug in the newest version), then apply it to a cube, then save the document and open it into the newest Bryce and save the cube into the object library, then close the document and open the guitar model document, load the cube from the library into the document to apply to the guitar mesh parts that need it... what a phaff!!!

Still having fun with it though and the main pic in this was a 7 hour render... but it is quite big.

Gretsch-Savage-Altb.jpg
    1683 x 1255 - 463K
  • GussNemoGussNemo Posts: 1,855
    edited December 1969

@tlantis: Those two images are marvelous. Love how the water in the first image draws the views eye the volcano. In the last image dark works perfectly. The sun has just set or is rising and the city is still moving on. Love it.

Tornado: I can almost smell the sea air. One thing you might look at is the demarcation between the dinghies and the sea wall. Going by pictures of similar places that wall should be more distinct at the top. Otherwise, that image would look quite good on the cover of Sailor's Are Us, or on By The Sea, By The Beautiful Sea.

Mermaid: I like how the sky in the first image gives the impression of night time. While the second of a foggy time. But what really catches my eve is the TA-Hue image.. Lovely. I'm a sucker for those type images.

Greymouser: That space ship reminds me of the models they used on Babylon 5, when it was on TV years ago. I think it's a really striking image.

Dan: Are you sure the goon standing in the arch isn't in shock from seeing a beautiful woman. The walk she's standing seems to disappear just down at her right foot. It seems to meld with the walk lower down. But I still thinks it great.

Dave: That guitar is like David's dragon, it keeps getting better each time.

• mermaid010mermaid010 Posts: 4,988
    edited December 1969

Thanks to everyone for the nice feedback on my images.

Chohole – Thanks for the link for the bridge, downloading it now.

Tornado – I totally agree with you David’s video tutorials are awesome, and the cool think about YouTube one can watch the videos on the new mobile phones or ipads.

Lovely renders by Greymouser, Dan, Atlantis and Dave.

edited December 1969

Ok, this is what my render really looked like. I don't know why it turned out to be partly transparent when I opened it with gimp. Anyway, I agree with everyone, I prefer the more contrasted version .

village_bord_de_mer.png
    1434 x 695 - 2M
    edited December 1969

@tlantis said:
    a City that never sleeps....

about 25 terrains
    20 of them used to create the city scape turned on these terrains AA off, to get a more crispy light effect
    In front of buildings i added a terrain with city light maps II, to get some kind of boulevard effect, with all the funny and colorful light's
    Volcano smoke a flattened lattice made 50% transparent

I know it's again a dark image..lol , but the city scape is the main thing in this render, so not much detail on terrain needed..

Welll .. enjoy :)

Looks like the Copacabana in Rio. Very well done - and quite elaborate with all those terrains.

edited December 1969

Just a quick update on the Custom Gretsch...

This is how it's looking at the moment. I've had to redraw the strap nuts and the control knob because they were all part of the same mesh (couldn't ungroup them) and I needed to to delete the three knobs to replace them with the skull knobs (which are the Soto Expressive Skull, exported from Poser) and re-textured in Bryce).

It's been a royal pain in the backside because every time I tweak the graphics applied to the guitar, I have to import it into the older version of Bryce (because of the picture import bug in the newest version), then apply it to a cube, then save the document and open it into the newest Bryce and save the cube into the object library, then close the document and open the guitar model document, load the cube from the library into the document to apply to the guitar mesh parts that need it... what a phaff!!!

Still having fun with it though and the main pic in this was a 7 hour render... but it is quite big.

Excellently presented. The modelling and material work is impeccable. I like the buttons ...

edited December 1969

tornado said:
    Ok, this is what my render really looked like. I don't know why it turned out to be partly transparent when I opened it with gimp. Anyway, I agree with everyone, I prefer the more contrasted version .

I like it much better this way. Yeah, strange things happen sometimes.

edited December 1969

tornado said:

Well I hate to nitpick because I like the picture and yet I keep finding things to say aren't right but now that it's not washed out it looks like there is a problem with the clouds. Going from left to right the clouds look like they are and should be part of the horizon sort of but when you get to the town which is more to the right side the clouds look more like smoke from a fire coming from the town. Now it could be you were going for an MC Escher kind of look where something starts as one thing on one side of a picture but becomes something else by the time you get to the other side? Somehow though I don't think that was your goal here though?

edited December 1969

tornado: For a magazine cover I like the first image. But for better detail I like the original. There is a better demarcation between the boats and sea wall. Something that catches my attention is the light at the beginning of the wharf and on the street in front of the dinghies. This light doesn't seem to fit the surroundings, it's as though I should be seeing a street lamp somewhere. Still, it is a lovely render.

edited December 1969

LordHardDriven, I see what you're talking about, about the clouds... I hadn't seen this before, but it's true that the clouds near the town don't look very realistic. However, I don't know how I could change this, especially since I want to keep the overall shape of the clouds. The problem of volumetric clouds is that you don't have much control over details like these. Do you have any suggestions, anyone?

edited December 1969

tornado: if you haven't been to this site it may help with your clouds. Go to the site, scroll down until you find those by David Brinnen, and look for the ones concerning volumetric clouds. There are three.

• bighbigh Posts: 8,147
    edited December 1969

tornado said:
    LordHardDriven, I see what you're talking about, about the clouds... I hadn't seen this before, but it's true that the clouds near the town don't look very realistic. However, I don't know how I could change this, especially since I want to keep the overall shape of the clouds. The problem of volumetric clouds is that you don't have much control over details like these. Do you have any suggestions, anyone?

I like the first one
    if you listen to all thats gets said you will go nuts
    have fun
    keep trucking

edited December 1969

tornado said:

Alas I don't know much about working with volume clouds so my advice would be pretty much the same as GussNemo's. Alternatively to his suggestion you can also buy the mentoring DVD which also covers Volume Clouds among other things and perhaps in a bit more detail. If you go that route today is a good time as it's back to 50% off for that DVD and that sale may be just for today or for the weekend at best and then it'll be back to full price.

edited December 1969

bigh said:
    tornado said:

I like the first one
    have fun
    keep trucking

Perhaps, then again if you listen you can also learn things, if one listens with an open mind of course.

edited December 1969

tornado said:

The easiest way to fix the clouds would be to simply raise the volumetric slab to a higher altitude.
    Of course, the clouds may well be mapped in word space meaning that the shape will alter, but you can allow the cloud pattern to lift too by altering the coordinates in the material's Transformation Tools.

If the clouds are mapped to object space, the only thing you may have to do is to reduce the frequency slightly to maintain the same relative size of clouds.

edited September 2012

bigh said:

I like the first one
    have fun
    keep trucking

Those who ask a lot of questions seem stupid. Those who never ask questions stay stupid.

Post edited by Horo on
  • SylverdaliSylverdali Posts: 198
    edited December 1969

@tlantis said:
    This render is inspired by a fantastic work from Horo...Showing a awesome night scene of a lake

Studying his render forced me to use the sky lab very accurate ( i never did this before I used always the color pickers in sky & Fog mode and hovered over the pictograms to set the range )

Thnx Horo, for showing me the picture....

kind Regards...

well done @tlantis very realistic
    edited December 1969

chohole said:
    And once again one of my renders has made it into the PC newsletter. That's 3 months in a row I have got a Bryce render onto the PC newsletter

THeme was Homecoming.

Wonderful scene Pam! Surely deserving of it's place in the newsletter (better yet if we had a Bryce gallery!). I hope that new PC arrives soon and you'll perhaps consider letting me set up some new lights on one of your old scenes?

Rashad, thank you! Testing progresses... Only work gets in the way - I think I will be digging holes today (it is harder work in the real world).

Image: Vicky is feeling pensive, curious holes have appeared in the roof, but no workmen have been seen. What does it mean? I like very much great effect and perspective David

edited December 1969

Hello, this is Peter.

I am going to try and post a large image. Before the size was limited to 800 by 800 PIX.

Let us see if it works.

Well this is my first submission on this one, although i have posted many images in the main threads.

This is Bryce-ONLY modelling and render. No Photoshop which is taboo for me and no 3D app to make the models! It is the way i like to do it, but i certainly do not expect others to do the same. This scene employs some of the techniques of my tutorials which are accumulating at an alarming rate.

Well i needed a break from the tutorials and do something creative! This scene still has a long way to go because i need to add hundreds of fine details. This will take much time. But i think it is not too bad to show now. Render time is very slow - about a day. The central forms use instancing so they are no problem but the cactus-like objects in the water are a nightmare [all composed of MBs]. I will need to add many more of them as well as much else.

Kind regards from Australia to you all.

amazing image Kine_magiK love the plants and the render is stunning another from down under
    edited December 1969

I tried to post this a bit earlier but my link to DAZ went into the twilight zone.

I haven't worked often with volumetric clouds. The time I did they looked like marshmallows fresh out of the microwave. So the best advice I give someone is to point them to a tutorial that might help. And it goes for a lot of other things. I can find the information, just not do it. Yet.

I have the main model of my pull toy completed, at least as far as I think it needs to go. The most challenging for me was making a pull rope that look good and fit the model. One came with the lesson file, but it didn't fit the wagon I constructed. That pull rope was meant to go through the end of the wagon, and to make it look right, a cut cylinder would have been needed to make the hole the rope went through. I didn't know how two cut objects would react together, so I opted for what you see in the image.

The blocks were made with cubes and cut spheres. Rattles are spheres for the top, cylinders for the shaft, and toruses for the handle. The wheels are a squashed cylinders for the hub, toruses for the tires and distorted spheres for the hubs. The rope attachment is a distorted torus that was cut with a sphere.

This is the first model I've made, and I don't think it looks too bad. And thanks to Terry's help, the striped blocks look much better.

Wagon_Box_and_Wheels_10_.png
    1240 x 725 - 658K
    edited December 1969

Your model is looking good Guss... well done. :)

I've been taking a break from guitar modelling and decided to get some virtual fresh air in the virtual outdoors.
    I've recycled one of my landscapes because tonight I've managed to create what I think is, to date my best volumetric clouds.

Now here's a question for David; If I want to save these clouds into my library, am I best saving just the material in the materials library, or the slab in the object library? Are there advantages to either way?

Cloudscape-Marsh.jpg
    1000 x 500 - 45K
This discussion has been closed.