TUTORIAL - Creating a Genesis series Full Body Morph for DAZ Studio Pro 4.10 by RKane_1

Comments

• RKane_1RKane_1 Posts: 3,037
    edited December 1969

She's a beauty. I look forward to picking her up.
    :)

• gypsyangelgypsyangel Posts: 1,010
    edited December 1969

RKane_1 said:
    She's a beauty. I look forward to picking her up.
    :)

Thanks!! :D

• zigraphixzigraphix Posts: 2,787
    edited December 1969

Awesome tutorial! :D

One point -- loading the Property Editor pane takes forever if you have a lot of morphs for Genesis. (Maybe literally forever-- I had to kill my DS and start again.) However, you can put a button for ERC Freeze in your toolbar using Window->Workspace->Customize... and skip that part entirely. :) Then use the gear in the Shaping tab to edit the parameters for your morph. Much faster that way. :)

I'll post a screenshot -- just had a guest arrive and I need to make lunch!

• patience55patience55 Posts: 7,006
    edited December 1969

zigraphix said:
    Awesome tutorial! :D

One point -- loading the Property Editor pane takes forever if you have a lot of morphs for Genesis. (Maybe literally forever-- I had to kill my DS and start again.) However, you can put a button for ERC Freeze in your toolbar using Window->Workspace->Customize... and skip that part entirely. :) Then use the gear in the Shaping tab to edit the parameters for your morph. Much faster that way. :)

I'll post a screenshot -- just had a guest arrive and I need to make lunch!

Thanks for the tip. Yes it can take awhile, think it froze at least twice on me lol ... then vanished, then when I clicked for something else, it reappeared!
  • RAMWolffRAMWolff Posts: 10,146
    edited July 2013

Yea, I try to avoid using the Properties Manager as much as possible.

I brought up the Customize dialog: Window > Work Space > Customize or F3 on the keyboard

Choose Menus tab on the right side. Scroll down to the last entry: ToolSettings Pane Menu and expand that.

Expand the Joint Editor and then the Edit sub section.

On the Left side of the dialog and expand the CCT Property Editor and you will see the ERC Freeze entry there. Just simple drag it across the way to the expanded area on the right and

Apply and then Accept and it's done.

Next time you have need to access your ERC just after you Adjust Rigging to Shape they are now all in one location.

DSCustomize03.jpg
    381 x 289 - 29K
    DSCustomize02.jpg
    625 x 649 - 101K
    DSCustomize.jpg
    414 x 278 - 33K
    Post edited by RAMWolff on
    edited December 1969

Yeah, that menu location is a good place to put it, especially since there's no toolbar icon....

edited December 1969

Ok, I'm having a bit of trouble with the rigging. I've followed the above steps, and everything looks ok until I try to use pose controls like "Right Fingers Grasp" (or manually bend the fingers). The finger bones line up with the mesh ok, but they appear to be rotated around the long axis... which isn't quite the same as the Y axis. :( Do I have to hand tweak each of these bones, or change the rotation order? Or something else? The current rotation order is XYZ. Changing rotation order to XZY gets the bones bending in the right direction, but they won't bend very far-- they have the side-side limits still, I think.

Any suggestions?

hands-rigging-fingers-grasp-75.png
    475 x 611 - 75K
    hands-rigging.png
    474 x 611 - 75K
    edited December 1969

Hmmm, and you did an ERC Freeze afterwards??

I'll need a bit more information to help you. The exact steps would be good!

edited December 1969

Yes, I did an ERC Freeze. I'll post more detail later (I'm at work now). I'm sure I've forgotten something obvious... or maybe I did something especially awful with my morph! :bug:

edited December 1969

Well as long as you saved it all in a Scene .duf file it will keep fine until you get it figured out.

edited December 1969

Here's what I did:

Load Genesis (no morphs) into DS
    Set Subdivision Level to 0 in Paramters
    export obj
    export to obj: scale .410105 (doesn't matter as long as I use the same scale coming back, right?)
    - Use Bone Welds
    - Write UV Coordinates
    - Write Groups - Use Existing Groups
    - Write Surfaces - Write Material Library - No Maps

import obj to Blacksmith3D
    move mesh around
    export to obj

In DS, with Genesis loaded, set to Subdivision level 0
    Launch Morph Loader Pro
    Choose Morph Files... (my modified obj file)
    Name: my name with a hyphen at the beginning (good trick!)
    Property Group: Actor/Female/Stylized
    Create Control Property: Yes (settings at defaults)
    Reverse Deformations: No (because I had no morphs applied when I exported)
    Overwrite Existing: Make Unique - Clean Up Orphans: Yes

In Shaping tab, under Actor/Female/Stylized, I see my morph
    Click Bone tool
    Set morph to 100%... ah, I think I've found the problem.

The t-pose has the palms facing downward. For some reason (probably to do with the figure I was originally trying to match) I rotated the forearms so the palms are facing forward.

Blerg.

Ok, I think I know how to fix this....

edited December 1969

Ok, hands are fixed... is there anything I can do about this elbow, apart from applying smoothing?

elbow-problem.jpg
    465 x 600 - 34K
    edited December 1969

Yea, not sure what to suggest for this sort of morph. If you look at the figures layout in what ever program your using to morph the mesh in yo will notice little arrow types of things, mostly those are what I use as guides. Some are for safely indenting areas and some for bulking areas up. The backs of the legs and elbow are very tricky in that way. If you do it just right it will work, if you don't do it just right your going to get funny bends even if the rigging is good.

edited December 1969

PS... just home from work and dinner so I apologize for not getting back to you sooner. Glad you got the rigging snafu fixed! :-)

• BejaymacBejaymac Posts: 1,844
    edited December 1969

You don't need to "open" the Property Editor tab to access it's options, as long as it's docked and you can see the tab then you can right click it to get the menu, which is what I've done in the attached image, and it doesn't just work with the Property editor, it works with all of them.

Right-Click.jpg
    775 x 659 - 174K
  • edited December 1969

Hello, I have question concerning Step 1.

In order to minimize the customization work in Hexagon, is it possible to apply Daz Presets to Genesis before exporting it to Hexagon?

I'm just thinking one could roughly approximate desired changes first in Daz and then fine tune them in Hexagon....

I can get about 90% of my desired changes using Daz presets, but there are several areas that need tweaking and a bit of clean up.

Thanks

edited December 1969

Are you talking about morphs for Genesis or clothing?

• edited December 1969

I'm your typical overwhelmed newbie.....

My primary goal ATM, is to learn more about how to use Daz and Hex....

I'm working on this tutorial primarily as a learning exercise, so I want to learn about making and using FBMs in general...

But, beyond the nuts and bolts of all that, I'm thinking that if I can get a full body morph - exactly to my desired specs - that will serve as the best possible mannequin for making clothes in Hexagon.

So, Genesis now, maybe clothes later.

Thanks

edited December 1969

Ah but Genesis wears any sort of clothing . My advice, after learning the hard way, is to model your clothing to the Genesis default shape and then once you get it rigged using the Transfer Utility you will see that MOST shapes will follow along. If you have a specific shape you like then you can create a follow morph using that shape. If it's all your shape then it's cool and can be shared. If it's a shape that you put together using other folks morphs then you won't be able to distribute the shape.

• edited December 1969

RAMWolff -

Thanks for the quick reply and the information. I understand what you're saying.

It's help information, but I'm no where near making clothing for distribution or sharing.

My focus now is limited to the process of creating an FBM... just for grins.

Thanks

• edited December 1969

Success!

I followed the FBM tutorial using the Genesis 2 Base Female (from Genesis 2 Female Starter Essentials) and made a FBM morph without using any modeling tools.

First, I made a custom character using about two dozen of the body morphs from Zev0's "Shape Shift for Genesis 2 Female and V6".

Then, I exported it as a .OBJ.

Then, started a new scene and loaded Genesis 2 Base Female, then continued to follow the tutorial step by step (importing the .OBJ using Morph Loader Pro to create the morph, etc, etc.).

Since my custom character is about a foot shorter than the Genesis 2 Base Female, I also followed all the steps in the tutorial to adjust the rigging, etc.

Since this process bakes all the applied morphs into a single morph, it is a very handy way to create "checkpoints" as I continue to add more morphs (mainly head) and refine the my custom character.

I'm very thankful for this tutorial - especially the screen shots that helped to clarify the process when I got a little confused by the terminology.

• riccoptriccopt Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

fixme12 said:
    Rkane I created a pdf of this, hope you don't mind. found this better reading as on forum here.

TUTORIAL - Creating a Genesis Full Body Morph for DAZ Studio Pro 4 or 4.5 by RKane_1.pdf
    http://www23.zippyshare.com/v/84343651/file.html

does anyone have the PDF file that was created?
    I would like to have a copy of that, but the above link is not working anymore

"File has expired and does not exist anymore on this server"

• MythmakerMythmaker Posts: 606
    edited November 2013

Thanks a bunch for this very clear and useful tutorial.

I'm at the stage of using Morph Loader Pro and successfully created a few body and face morph dials that work. I somehow did all that before finding this tut. To be safe, I compare the steps with mine, all coincide, except one:

RKane_1 said:
    Saving your Morph as a Support Asset Morph file

21. Turn your morph to zero before saving. If you do not, every time you load Genesis, it will load with that morph on.

Oops but I turned my custom morph dials to 100% when saving as morph asset. Somehow no issue when loading Genesis - the morph dials are all at 0. Genesis is perfectly normal and at zero state. Odd.

Inconsistency worries me... :bug: Especially this other morph tut also stressed that we must zero morph dial before saving.

Before I created these custom morphs, I did have an incident of base Genesis loading with a turned-up morph: for practice I marked around with the Alien head, created an alien head Figure Asset, then morphed some more, and saved Modified Asset. The next time I load Genesis, it had alien head. I did the most obvious - zero-ed Genesis, saved as figure asset. Deleted the alien assets. Genesis loaded fine and normal ever since.

Maybe therein lies the reason why today my base Genesis loads "normal and zero", even when I didn't zero morph dial before saving custom morph asset?

Post edited by Mythmaker on
  • MikeBlackwellMikeBlackwell Posts: 13
    edited December 1969

Hi
    This thread has been really useful - I'm managing to create morphs in ZBrush, load them back into Genesis in Daz and then save them as support assets which load every time a Genesis figure is loaded.

What I really want to do though, is to save the morph somewhere so that it doesn't load automatically every time Genesis is loaded, but is located somewhere in the content folders, so that you can click on it and load the custom morph into the selected Genesis figure in Daz.
    I've been right the way through the thread and searched others, but I can't find any instructions.
    Could someone tell me if this is possible, and if so, how and where do I save my custom morph?

Thanks

edited December 1969

tela said:
    Hi
    This thread has been really useful - I'm managing to create morphs in ZBrush, load them back into Genesis in Daz and then save them as support assets which load every time a Genesis figure is loaded.

What I really want to do though, is to save the morph somewhere so that it doesn't load automatically every time Genesis is loaded, but is located somewhere in the content folders, so that you can click on it and load the custom morph into the selected Genesis figure in Daz.
    I've been right the way through the thread and searched others, but I can't find any instructions.
    Could someone tell me if this is possible, and if so, how and where do I save my custom morph?

Thanks

Your morphs are saved in a data file under your name. Simply remove it out when you don't want it to load. However it will have been saved to load with any scene file that was created when it was loaded.

If you are meaning that the morph is "applied" to Genesis, it has to be resaved "zeroed", then it won't apply until you make it do so.

It cannot be saved elsewhere on the computer and still work in D/S.

• MikeBlackwellMikeBlackwell Posts: 13
    edited December 1969

tela said:
    Hi

Thanks

Your morphs are saved in a data file under your name. Simply remove it out when you don't want it to load. However it will have been saved to load with any scene file that was created when it was loaded.

If you are meaning that the morph is "applied" to Genesis, it has to be resaved "zeroed", then it won't apply until you make it do so.

It cannot be saved elsewhere on the computer and still work in D/S.

Hi and many thanks for the reply.
    I know about the data folder and I'm okay with creating morphs that go in there and load into Genesis automatically, but yes, I was hoping/expecting that there would be a way to save them so that you can inject them at will, as there is with the older figures.
    It seems like a quite bizarre omission in the design of Daz/Genesis - it must create quite an overhead if you have lots of morphs that load each time Genesis is loaded.

edited December 1969

Yup.

Read somewhere [have no idea how accurate the info is/was] that that was part of why there was a jump then to another figure altogether.

• bohemian3bohemian3 Posts: 1,028
    edited December 1969

Thanks for this tutorial! Really helped me.
    Is there any info out there on how to import high definition morphs for V6 and M6 High Def characters, by chance?

edited December 1969

bohemian3 said:
    Thanks for this tutorial! Really helped me.
    Is there any info out there on how to import high definition morphs for V6 and M6 High Def characters, by chance?

So far as I know, they're sitting on the plugin for those! All our attempts to bridge out the figures result in the base figure traveling. It's a new technology for the HD and it's a gold mine.

Depending upon what the end result is that you're after though; one can create the character with whatever is available in D/S and export out the .obj already posed and everything to just plant somewhere.

• RKane_1RKane_1 Posts: 3,037
    edited December 1969

Updated the main tutorial to reflect changes in the newer version of DAZ and also outright STOLE a tutorial from Sickleyield, mostly in the interest of keeping all the info in one area for myself and others.

Hope this helps.