DAZ Studio 4 and i7 processors?

edited December 1969 in Daz Studio Discussion

Does DAZ Studio 4 support the advanced features on the Intel i7 processor, such as hyper-threading and the on board GPU?

I'm considering getting a new rendering machine and don't know whether it's worth going for the i5 or the i7.

Obviously, it won't be worth paying extra for an i7 if I cannot take advantage of its features.

Comments

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,219
    edited August 2012

Yes, DS will see all cores, including the virtual cores from Hyperthreading, on an i7 - I got quite a kick seeing eight CPU boxes filled up in task manager on my first render on this machine. On-board GPU will be sued if that's what the system sues, though Intel graphics tend not to offer good OpenGL support so that may be an issue - in geernal you are better off with a real video card from ATI or nVidia.

Post edited by Richard Haseltine on
  • edited December 1969

Yes, DS will see all cores, including the virtual cores from Hyperthreading, on an i7 - I got quite a kick seeing eight CPU boxes filled up in task manager on my first render on this machine. On-board GPU will be sued if that's what the system sues, though Intel graphics tend not to offer good OpenGL support so that may be an issue - in geernal you are better off with a real video card from ATI or nVidia.

I intend to get a discrete graphics card too, it was just whether or not you could use both the on board GPU and the card as well?

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,219
    edited December 1969

I don't know about using both GPUs - I assume you are thinking of things like LuxRender that can use the GPU to speed calculations?