8.1 to 8.5 Upgrade price (when released)

BubbaRichardBubbaRichard Posts: 0
edited December 1969 in Carrara Discussion

I'm trying to decide if I should buy 8.1 and it would be a much easier decision if I knew there was going to be a bigger discount going from 8.1 to 8.5 than 7 to 8.5. I need the landscaping tools and bryce doesn't work on my mac. Any idea of how long to 8.5? or something to help here.

Thanks,
Bubba

Comments

• tsaristtsarist Posts: 1,606
    edited December 1969

Bubba

Hello. No one knows how much the new 8.5 Upgrade will cost.
    The product itself is still in Beta and needs a good deal more work before it gets released.
    So, I wouldn't rush it.

That said, Daz said the upgrade will be a "modest Price", which could be anything, depending on how one defines modest.
    There has also been speculation (not substantiated by Daz) that they may skip over 8.5 and release C9 and really stick us with a big price tag.

• JoeMamma2000JoeMamma2000 Posts: 2,615
    edited December 1969

tsarist said:
    ...they may skip over 8.5 and release C9 and really stick us with a big price tag.

Yeah, that would suck. IMO they should give us C9 for free. Heck, look at Blender, it's free. I don't see why DAZ can't do the same. And they're giving away all their other software for free.

• Michael CMichael C Posts: 76
    edited December 1969

tsarist said:
    Bubba

That said, Daz said the upgrade will be a "modest Price", which could be anything, depending on how one defines modest.
    There has also been speculation (not substantiated by Daz) that they may skip over 8.5 and release C9 and really stick us with a big price tag.

I know 8.5 has lots of new stuff, but as I've stated before, the 8.5 betas include fixes to serious bugs in in C8. If they charge for 8.5 then need to put the fixes in C8 for free.

• 3drendero3drendero Posts: 2,017
    edited December 1969

One Guess is 50 dollars since C8 is listed at 150 and C8.5 beta is listed at 200.
    But there is no beta for thé Pro version, so that Price listing May be a Place holder.

I upgraded from C7 pro to C8 pro for 140 dollars, that would be thé worst Case scenario.

Like all Daz prices, 50% off Can be found often during sales, if there is no rush.
    In my Case, 70 dollars tops, 25 at best.

• Jim_1831252Jim_1831252 Posts: 728
    edited December 1969

tsarist said:
    ...they may skip over 8.5 and release C9 and really stick us with a big price tag.

Yeah, that would suck. IMO they should give us C9 for free. Heck, look at Blender, it's free. I don't see why DAZ can't do the same. And they're giving away all their other software for free.

Err... isn't Blender made largely by volunteers?

I would love to see a nice solid 8.5, or a 9 (as long as it isn't just a 8.5 dressed as a 9), and wouldn't mind paying a "modest" upgrade price. Though I would be somewhat cautious about jumping right in. I have found Daz's products to be quite buggy, especially Hexagon 2.5 which I love the absolute crap out of. I just hope that Carrara remains one of the more solid products in their arsenal. I like that I can just install it and it doesn't crash, and it doesn't have too many outrageous quirks. I wish they would/could give it a bit more love though. How many guys are working on it, couldn't be many?

• CarltonMartinCarltonMartin Posts: 147
    edited December 1969

tsarist said:

{giggle}

• ManStanManStan Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Michael C said:
    tsarist said:
    Bubba

I know 8.5 has lots of new stuff, but as I've stated before, the 8.5 betas include fixes to serious bugs in in C8. If they charge for 8.5 then need to put the fixes in C8 for free.

The only thing new in C8.5 is genesis compatibility. Every thing else is tweaks and bug fixes. So yes, DAZ will charging you to be able to use genesis.

Any one still here that remembers C6.5, and what happened there?

• Michael CMichael C Posts: 76
    edited December 1969

ManStan said:
    Michael C said:
    tsarist said:
    Bubba

The only thing new in C8.5 is genesis compatibility. Every thing else is tweaks and bug fixes. So yes, DAZ will charging you to be able to use genesis.

And by extension, charging me to be able to fully use the product I already paid for... I don't care at all about genesis. My comment stands.

• ManStanManStan Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Carrara 6.5 was canceled because carraraests refuse to pay for bug fixes. As such we didn't get the update. Meaning no free retro update.
    Whether you use genesis or not, it will be part of the update, and they only way to get the bug fixes and tweaks.

• TigrestripeTigrestripe Posts: 65
    edited December 1969

ManStan said:
    Carrara 6.5 was canceled because carraraests refuse to pay for bug fixes. As such we didn't get the update. Meaning no free retro update.
    Whether you use genesis or not, it will be part of the update, and they only way to get the bug fixes and tweaks.

Yeah, I remember that. I believe they also had a poll out to see what price people would be willing to pay for it. $50 wasn't it?