Bye Bye Daz3d

Comments

• mjordy59mjordy59 Posts: 66
    edited September 2012

Thanks, Dazbfurner for the news. I a new user of Daz and just downloaded and successfully installed the 4.5 version but some of the "smart content material seem to be missing(blank symbol)instead of content thumb pic. where can I download the basic starting Genesis cloth materials and props?
    On the other hand I use Daz as a pipeline to Iclone 5 Pro models for my Machinima movies: http://www.youtube.com/maurojo1

I convert Daz models to Iclone 5 Pro(a game engine) but the Daz high poly count keeps my movies slow. I know about the Daz decimator plugin,but find it too expensive for my free youtube movies.
    Is there any low poly Daz models in the future? That would be ideal.

Post edited by mjordy59 on
    edited September 2012

I forgot to add in my previous post that the new work window on 4.5 has a double view window,how can I set it up for one main view only?

Post edited by mjordy59 on
  • PendraiaPendraia Posts: 3,591
    edited December 1969

Maury1 said:
    I forgot to add in my previous post that the new work window on 4.5 has a double view window,how can I set it up for one main view only?
    Go to windows\viewport and select the one style you want...
  • RCDescheneRCDeschene Posts: 2,798
    edited December 1969

Maury1 said:
    Thanks, Dazbfurner for the news. I a new user of Daz and just downloaded and successfully installed the 4.5 version but some of the "smart content material seem to be missing(blank symbol)instead of content thumb pic. where can I download the basic starting Genesis cloth materials and props?

Yeah, WHY is that?
  • TaozTaoz Posts: 9,707
    edited December 1969

ManStan said:
    Why would you have to move up to windows 8? I know people that still use XP.

I don't know about today but last year XP was still the most dominant OS among Windows users.

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

Taozen said:
    ManStan said:

I don't know about today but last year XP was still the most dominant OS among Windows users.

To the extent that, even though MS said they were discontinuing support for XP, we are still getting updates regularly (if not quite as regularly as before.)

• KeryaKerya Posts: 10,943
    edited December 1969

chohole said:
    Yes Wolffie, you are getting warmer, red hot in fact. Yes indeed. before Poser Pros came along, before Daz had forums, he frequented Rendo, and I have heard rumours that he still does, but in the main I only use the Bryce forum there, so can't conform the rumours.

I think he now and then frequents a forum with fairies too ... :)

edited December 1969

chohole said:
    Taozen said:
    ManStan said:

To the extent that, even though MS said they were discontinuing support for XP, we are still getting updates regularly (if not quite as regularly as before.)

For Service Pack 3 (SP3) it runs till 8. April 2014

• Zev0Zev0 Posts: 7,038
    edited December 1969

I did not know that xp is still getting support. Otherwise I would have kept it on my other machine. I only upgraded because they said support has stopped. Bastards:) I'm not complaining. Win7 is so much better:)

• LeatherGryphonLeatherGryphon Posts: 11,123
    edited September 2012

Kerya said:
    chohole said:
    Taozen said:
    ManStan said:

For Service Pack 3 (SP3) it runs till 8. April 2014

Yes, you can still get service pack updates to bring you to ServicePack3 level* and you still get automatic security updates but I believe Microsoft is not writing any new functionality improvements to XP, or any new apps for XP.

The question is, what will happen after 8 April 2014? I suspect that security updates will cease. They will also probably not bother to make XP specific fixes or improvements to Microsoft Office or other Microsoft apps. However, remember that XP was the first Microsoft operating system that needed "Activation". Will Microsoft also stop providing "Activation" authority for people who have an XP installation CD and actually want to install or re-install it on a machine?

I continued to use Windows98 for years after it was officially "dead" simply because all I need to do was find a valid license key (whether it was on on an unopened installation CD or on one of those Win98 booklets crumpled up in the bottom of a junk box or was simply found scribbled on a piece of paper). The "death" of XP will be a different animal because of "Activation". Can and will Microsoft actually pull the plug? Enquiring users want to know!

* Note: upgrading an XP, XP-SP1, or XP-SP2 to XP-SP3 can be problematic. You sometimes need to manually download an improved InternetExplorer and/or a newer WindowsUpdate app. in order to get enough smarts to get the automatic updater to work.

Post edited by LeatherGryphon on
    edited December 1969

Thanks everyone for the replies. The "fix-all" remedy was a re-installation of Daz 4.5 and the basic content pack. Next time I get a similar problem,I'll know!

• shanteshante Posts: 206
    edited December 1969

Haven't been in the forums since BC (Before the Change)....LOL and I gotta say looks good so far. I wish now you guys would fix some of the other stuff works but enough of that here.
    Soooo glad to "read between the lines" about DAZ continued work providing Poser content especially the Genesis figure gigs and system which I think is freaking brilliant and something that should have been implemented when the first and second generation MilFigures came out....better late then never guys yay!

I hope that the items you are currently selling at sale prices (which are great including this incredible figure), will be made available again when ready for those of us not using D/S now and therefore not buying this and other Genesis figures.

Look forward to seeing how this is going to work for all of us.

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,501
    edited September 2012

Taozen said:
    ManStan said:

[...raises hand]

...and I'm still running Office2K. Works fine for me. On the other hand Office 2010 (which I am forced to deal with at the day job) sucks small (maybe even medium) planetoids.

...have 7premium 64 for the new workstation but still feel more "at home" with XP. If I could find a legit version of XP Pro64 I'd get it.

Post edited by kyoto kid on
  • KraschAndBurnKraschAndBurn Posts: 6
    edited December 1969

I think if you will stick with us over the next couple of months, you will be very pleasantly surprised with the direction we are going with Genesis. I can't give any details, but you Poser users will be in heaven. Stay tuned to the DAZ 3D Channel.

Might there be any news of progress available. It's been about a month and the silence is so far deafening...

The prospect itself is quite exciting. Even to hear it's still active in progress would be news.

• shanteshante Posts: 206
    edited December 1969

Krasch said:
    I think if you will stick with us over the next couple of months, you will be very pleasantly surprised with the direction we are going with Genesis. I can't give any details, but you Poser users will be in heaven. Stay tuned to the DAZ 3D Channel.

Might there be any news of progress available. It's been about a month and the silence is so far deafening...

The prospect itself is quite exciting. Even to hear it's still active in progress would be news.

As much as I would love this compatibility to take place as a Poser Only User, DAZ has a lot of site fixes and store fixes and messaging fixes for the user to be worrying about poser compatibility for their Genesis products.
    As much as I love the idea of being compatible with this great technology I prefer a better experience at least to the level it was BC (Before the Change).

• MattymanxMattymanx Posts: 6,860
    edited December 1969

shante said:
    Krasch said:

As much as I would love this compatibility to take place as a Poser Only User, DAZ has a lot of site fixes and store fixes and messaging fixes for the user to be worrying about poser compatibility for their Genesis products.
    As much as I love the idea of being compatible with this great technology I prefer a better experience at least to the level it was BC (Before the Change).

Different departments work on different things. So while the web team works on the site, the DS development team can work on DS.

• KraschAndBurnKraschAndBurn Posts: 6
    edited December 1969

Mattymanx said:
    shante said:
    Krasch said:

Different departments work on different things. So while the web team works on the site, the DS development team can work on DS.

Not only that, but since the schism has definitely hurt both platforms in terms of sales, without healing that schism, what is the point of a site and store fixes? That's putting the cart before the horse to some extent.

• JasmineSkunkJasmineSkunk Posts: 1,862
    edited December 1969

Well, I have no idea what direction anyone is going...lol...

....but ...

I've decided to wear my life jacket and fasten my seat belt.... this is sure to be an adventure, I think.

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,501
    edited December 1969

...and some of us are looking to board the launch back to the harbour.

Yes, I have not really been "taken in" by Genesis as I am not in the position to spend the hundreds it will take to make it as useful as the Gen3/4 and Toon figures I already have, as well as invalidate the clothing/content creation tools I spent hard earned money on. Sometimes one has to protect one's investment rather than just toss it all in the dustbin for the next new shiny thing.

Unfortunately, software isn't like a car, you just can't trade the old one in on a new model.

• Coon RaCoon Ra Posts: 200
    edited December 1969

Full price for Poser versions or upgrades for previous buyers (whatever you're going to do with genesis addons)?

Poser SR3 to be compatible with Genesis? C'mon, how would they add support of a still nonexistent format? Even DS4 and DS4.5 are incompatible.

• estheresther Posts: 608
    edited December 1969

bookmark. Waiting to hear any news about poser heaven.
    Love esther

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 95,997
    edited December 1969

Coon Ra said:

Full price for Poser versions or upgrades for previous buyers (whatever you're going to do with genesis addons)?

Poser SR3 to be compatible with Genesis? C'mon, how would they add support of a still nonexistent format? Even DS4 and DS4.5 are incompatible.

The DSON specification has now been published, though you are right that 4.5 is the first version of DS to use it.

• SpyroRueSpyroRue Posts: 5,020
    edited December 1969

This threads still going... I think it needs a new title :P

• ManStanManStan Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Spyro said:
    This threads still going... I think it needs a new title :P

How about "DAZ, or why I gave up on CG art".

• WitchStormWitchStorm Posts: 186
    edited December 1969

Mattymanx said:
    Isikol said:
    What on earth did you just said my good Admin? :O !????!

I wish I was at liberty to say more, but you will have to read into my post above. Sorry many more details will be coming...

Could it be???

It has to be.

What else could it be?

The Millennium Cow at last!!!

YAY!

Millenium Cube version 5!

I still have the first one. And I still haven't figured out what to do with it. 8-/

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

Mattymanx said:
    Isikol said:

I wish I was at liberty to say more, but you will have to read into my post above. Sorry many more details will be coming...

Could it be???

It has to be.

What else could it be?

YAY!

I still have the first one. And I still haven't figured out what to do with it. 8-/

THere were rumours that is was going to be the Unflatable Millennium cube, but the were having trouble with the morph pack

edited September 2012

chohole said:
    Mattymanx said:
    Isikol said:

Could it be???

It has to be.

What else could it be?

YAY!

THere were rumours that is was going to be the Unflatable Millennium cube, but the were having trouble with the morph pack

There are videos on Youtube with "Genesis Cube" in the title.
    :lol:

Post edited by Kerya on
  • MattymanxMattymanx Posts: 6,860
    edited September 2012

ssgbryan said:
    DAZ is looking for a new customer base - one that doesn't have large, bloated runtimes of content. Poser users aren't just going to dump all of our Gen 4 content to use genesis - even if they move to DS4, because of autofit, all of the Gen 4 content can easily be worn by genesis.

Poser users are going to buy a lot less than new users, therefore, they are not as important to DAZ. It is Econ 101.

I have to personally disagree. Yes, they are looking for nwe customers, that is true for every company but for the excisting customers and their content, DAZ never whould have made the autofit feature if they wanted everyone to put away their previous content for previous generations. As for purchasing, we all should be good stewards of our money. At the same time though, if you see value in something, you will be willing to invest in it. I still buy A3 clothes cause I still use her and still see potential for the figure. Gen4, I never really accepted until I started seeing much more potential in M4 over M3. The only acception before that was whether or not I felt something could be fit to A3. Still speaking from a personal view point, I see much greater potential still in Genesis over the previous generations and feel it is what the Gen4 should have been. And because I see Genesis that way, I am willing to invest in content for Genesis that I see use for.

Post edited by Mattymanx on
  • Mustakettu85Mustakettu85 Posts: 2,933
    edited December 1969

Mattymanx said:
    Still speaking from a personal view point, I see much greater potential still in Genesis over the previous generations and feel it is what the Gen4 should have been.

This.