Getting an understanding for using pins/seams with mapping.

13»

Comments

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,073

Here is a quick update to the umap fo the legs.  Trade-off.  I did a decent job of resizing the vertical length of the thighs, but inadvertently caused the seams to come forward.

rr01 revised uvmap.JPG
    1819 x 952 - 212K
    rr0 test render.jpg
    480 x 640 - 23K

Using this guy in the challenge

Don Coyote Rirst render.jpg
    1640 x 1230 - 826K
  • Just starting to playing with the uv editor trying to get a feel for unwrapping different objects. I tried following this little animated gif for unwrapping a cylinder in 3DCoat. Seems straight foward but after I create my seems and unfold it in Carrara I'm left with overlapping vertices and I have no idea how to fix that. I know each program uses different math for uv mapping but 3DCoat puts a space between each region/island (not sure what to call them) where as Carrara doesn't seem to. So how do I fix the overlapping vertices.

ccuw.png
    1920 x 1043 - 412K
  • mschackmschack Posts: 337

I think they share the same boundary but aren't actually overlapping.  Would be best to select each section (double click on a line segment) and move them around and resize them yourself (Shift-resize to keep proportions)

• 3DAGE3DAGE Posts: 3,311

Brother grim,. Once you've unwrapped an object,. you can reposition each of the UV Islands and resize to suit an image / texture map

double click an edge of an island to select the complete island ,. then move it where you want ,.and /or,.. rescale as needed

Mschack is correct the highlighted vertices are boundary points. not an overlap.

hope it helps

Here is another thread devoted to UVs, seams, pins, and unwrapping.  It has multiple examples.  Might find it useful.

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/52283/uvmapping-editor-seam-pin-cut-stitch/p1

Also, please note that if you use the projection mapping for cylinders or globes, there can be one column of polygons misapplied by the projection mapping.  The following thread details how to identify and some ways to address.

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/38770/cylindrical-uv-stretched-seam-bug-wip-star-altar

Greetings, 3DAGE.  Hope you are well.  Great to see you posting.

• Zach WilsonZach Wilson Posts: 92
    edited March 2021

Double click. Thanks mschack & 3DAGE that did the trick.

cuvc.png
    1602 x 1038 - 281K
    Post edited by Zach Wilson on
  • Persona Non GrataPersona Non Grata Posts: 1,365
    edited March 2021

You can use pins (the green dots) as well as judicious seams to get a fairly neat result...

Post edited by Persona Non Grata on
  • 3DAGE3DAGE Posts: 3,311

Thanks Diomede :)

keeping out of the way is becoming a part of my new normal ..

Hope everyone is good.

Andy.

• 3DAGE said:

Keeping out of the way is becoming a part of my new normal ..

Hope everyone is good.

Andy.

You are missed - no need to 'keep out of the way' and your contributions are valuable!