Old Stuff In New Daz

artsclusiveartsclusive Posts: 14
edited December 1969 in New Users

Recently redownloaded a bunch of old material from my downloads. Like new they are simply in a content directory with a daz file called manifest??? How do I install these items into my existing runtime for use in DS4?

Cheers!

Comments

• JasmineSkunkJasmineSkunk Posts: 1,872
    edited August 2012

Hi thebigjay! :)

I'm sorry, I'm trying to understand what you're saying so I can try to help, but I'm confused. Are you saying that you reset your downloads and what you downloaded is called "manifest"? Or Are you asking something else? I have never encountered anything like that...but then again, I haven't reset a download in awhile... but I will try to help if I can

Post edited by JasmineSkunk on
  • JimmyC_2009JimmyC_2009 Posts: 8,891
    edited December 1969

thebigjay said:
    Recently redownloaded a bunch of old material from my downloads. Like new they are simply in a content directory with a daz file called manifest??? How do I install these items into my existing runtime for use in DS4?

Cheers!

If you are talking about a ZIP file, ignore the file called manifest, it is just a list of what the zip contains. The folder called Content is where the files are, and the new name for Content in DS4P is My Library. Drag the Content folder onto your desktop, and reanme it to My Library. The drop it into the folder which 'holds' your My Library folder, and the two folders should merge (assuming you are on a PC).

If that is not what you mean, post again.

• artsclusiveartsclusive Posts: 14
    edited December 1969

FOr instance, in my Victoria 2 Light Textures download it's a zip file within the zip file is a "Content" folder and a file called Manifest.dsx, how do I install these items into DS4?

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565
    edited December 1969

Yes, as Jimmy says, the files that are UNDER Content need to go UNDER My Library. The manifest is for the Install Manager, which isn't available yet.

• WandererWanderer Posts: 957
    edited December 1969

I have got to respond to this. I know exactly what he's talking about. I re-downloaded a bunch of files the other day and they are no longer easy to install. You open the downloaded zip file and find a manifest file and a content folder. I tried merging the content folder with My Library as the suggestion above indicated and it doesn't work for me. Some files even appear to have the same name. This is simply unacceptable.

• Herald of FireHerald of Fire Posts: 3,504
    edited December 1969

If you're directly copying the 'content' folder out then of course it won't work. You need to find the Runtime folder in the zip file. This is the important one which needs to merge with the existing Runtime folder in your Daz content folder (Called My Library by default). There is also a data folder which, again, needs to merge with the data folder in the content folder. It should be a pretty straightforward process for anyone accustomed to dealing with ZIP files, especially nowadays where Windows can browse ZIP files as if they were normal directories.

If you're still having difficulties, post a screencap of the ZIP layout and we can help further from there.

• JimmyC_2009JimmyC_2009 Posts: 8,891
    edited January 2013

Drag the Content folder onto your desktop, and rename it to My Library. Then drop it into the folder which ‘holds’ your My Library folder, and the two folders should merge (assuming you are on a PC).

. I tried merging the content folder with My Library as the suggestion above indicated and it doesn’t work for me. Some files even appear to have the same name. This is simply unacceptable

I did not say to merge the Content folder into the My Library folder. What you need to do is merge the 'contents' of the Content folder with the 'contents' of the My Library folder.

Method 1
    To accomplish that, put the Content folder into a temporary folder (or drag it onto the Desktop), rename it to 'My Library', then drop it into the folder which 'HOLDS' the My Library folder, in the default setup that is a folder called Studio (NOT the My Library folder itself)

Method 2
    Go inside the Content folder in the ZIP program, copy ALL of the contents, then go inside the My Library folder, now paste all the contents in there. They will then merge, assuming that you are using a PC and NOT a Mac.

As explained earlier, in DS3, the default content folder was called 'Content'. In DS4 and DS4.5, the default folder is called 'My Library'. If you just drop the Content folder inside the My Library folder, then you, have in effect, a NESTED folder, which will not work.

To recap. With a ZIP file what you need to do, is to merge the contents of the folder called Content, with the contents of the Folder called My Library.

As Mike says, when we get the new Install Manager, ZIP files will be installed for you into the correct place, but for the moment, we need to do it manually.

It is a bit of a workaround for the moment, especailly for new users, but if you have any doubts about installing content of any kind, please ask in this forum. We are here to help.

Post edited by JimmyC_2009 on
  • ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

Incidently, with the multi purpose zip files you do also get a PDF for download, which does explain how to deal with these.

• Joe CotterJoe Cotter Posts: 3,259
    edited December 1969

It may be confusing for some at first, but it's actually pretty straightforward once one gets the hang of it.

• kitakoredazkitakoredaz Posts: 3,526
    edited January 2013

yes about old Zip files which downloaded from daz shop,
    it seems simple once you understand "daz contents directory".
    you may hum a tune when you install zip,, after experience some install.

just think "Contents" folda means "my library" folda.
    if you set name of your daz contents directory as "MYdazlibary"

"Contents" folda means "MYdazlibrary"

so you need to copy and paste every files in Contents folda to your "my library" etc.
    as they were.

Jimmy way is same as I do often.

drag the "Contents" to desktop etc,, then change name to "My library" then drug on to the directory
    where your "My library" folda can be seen.

anyone need not "mylibrary" folda, under "mylibrary". or two my library folda in same directory,
    so if I mistake to drug to mylibrary in mylibrary,, or mistake naming (now I did so edit ^^b)
    I udenrstand easy,, it must be wrong ^^;

but About zip which you get another shop or share CG etc,
    you need to check where is "runtime" or not.,.with read me of the bendor.
    on this case,, I check each file,,, never hums,

Post edited by kitakoredaz on