Transparency when exporting

MalusMalus Posts: 370
edited December 1969 in Carrara Discussion

I'm sorry if there is a thread for this, but again the search engine is being a pain. Is there anyway to save images with transparency besides gifs because when I use gifs I get the image that is going to be posted.

evil_eye.gif
640 x 480 - 21K

Comments

• SockrateaseSockratease Posts: 813
    edited December 1969

png, tiff, and psd all support alpha channels.

• evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,040
    edited December 1969

They're all superior to gif which is limited to 256 colors. It's kind of an outmoded file format in my opinion.

• MalusMalus Posts: 370
    edited December 1969

Yeah but the thing is I can't find nothing to do with transparency when it comes to exporting an image except for gif. Maybe I missed something.

edited August 2012

The Alpha check box needs to be checked in the render room. TIFF, Photoshop and png don't need anything else done to them. You do need to make sure that you have a photo editor that displays alpha channels to edit them. Most modern web browsers can handle and display the alphas in pngs.

The picture below is a png with an alpha channel. The forum displays a kind of purple/blue background for the thumbnail, but if you click the image and open it in the new window, it displays as a white background. The original scene settings had a red background, but it became invisible when the alpha box was checked.

Picture_1.png
    249 x 467 - 41K
    Doc2.png
    640 x 480 - 8K
    Post edited by evilproducer on
  • MalusMalus Posts: 370
    edited December 1969

I feel stupid I forgot about the alpha check box lol sorry for the bother thanks. The alpha check box is tiny and out of site which makes it is easy to miss.

edited December 1969

Tiny? Yes, Out of site? No. It's just something you need to get used to using.