Making a cone with a blunt end

phospheratuphospheratu Posts: 0
edited August 2012 in New Users

Hello. I am new here, but not new to 3d modeling. I used to use Raydream 3D back in the 90s.
I am now somewhat visually impaired, and find it very difficult to read through lots of text, so forgive me if my question has already been answered.
I just installed Hexagon, and would like to make a lighthouse.
My first intended step is to create a blunt ended cone, or a tapering cylinder. But I can't figure out how to scale just the top of the cylinder, or chop the top off a cone. Any help is greatly appreciated.
Thank you :)

p.s. I have tried to use the tutorials, but I just get the following message:
"Sorry, we are unable to retrieve the document for viewing or you don't have permission to view the document.
You can also try to download the original document by clicking here."
If I attempt to download the original doc, I get a page that says the document could not be found.

Post edited by phospheratu on

Comments

• Miss BMiss B Posts: 3,071
    edited August 2012

Hi phospheratu, welcome to the DAZ 3D forums. :-)

I spend more time in Blender than I do in Hex, but I just tried it and it's not too hard.

Basically, you would select the cylindar on the Primitives tab above your workspace, click in the center of your stage and drag until it's the width you want, click and then drag up to the height you want, and then click the Validate button on the Properties palette on the top right side.

Then you would select "Points" selection icon in the second set of icons across the top (on the left), and then right-click (I use a pen and tablet but I assume it works the same with a mouse), and drag from top left down to right but NOT the bottom set of points. I suppose you could select the bottom set of points too, but from what I remember about lighthouses, I don't think the bottom, where you walk inside, is really tapered, but then I could be wrong.

With the points selected, click on the Utilities Tab above your staging area, and select the 7th icon from the left (it looks like a pyramid) and then select, again, the pyramid from the drop-down menu. This is the "Taper" tool. Then use your up arrow twice to position your view so that you can see part of the inside of the cylindar (see image attached), and hover your cursor near the center of this area, click and slowly taper it to whatever size you would like. Then click on the Validate button again on the Properties palette and you're on your way. ;-)

TaperedCylindarInHexagon.jpg
    442 x 567 - 68K
    Post edited by Miss B on
  • jamesbirkbeckjamesbirkbeck Posts: 1
    edited December 1969

Thank you, Miss B. I will try that.