daz studio 3 and also daz studio 4 within the same content dir

Hi are there known issues with having both daz studio 3 and daz studio pro in the same content directory (my documents) ?

I have noticed some very strange behaviour with my daz pro and I think there may be issues of conflict.

1. (.obj models) with pivot points centered to the model are set to scene orgin in daz studio pro.

The only way I have been able to resolve this was to load the model into daz 3 save the scene and open this same scene but using daz studio pro.

Though this gives its own issues with the file within daz studio pro but i can work with the model.

I wish to keep both applications do you have any advice ?

Comments

• cridgitcridgit Posts: 1,757
    edited May 2022

Redacted

Post edited by cridgit on
  • edited December 1969

When i try to load a .obj model into daz 3 or daz 4 the model piviot point is incorrectly placed.

The image on the left shows the incorrect location.

These are the steps I have to take.

1. load the obj file into daz 4 or three the pivot point is currently wrong.

2. send the model to hex were the piviot point is correctly placed.

3 close daz, then send the object via the bridge to daz.

This action opens daz with the model seen in the image on the right.

Now with the pivot pont correctly placed.

I am using blender as my model software.

I did a test with just the cube and had no issue, quite possible the issue lies within my current model files only.

I have a beta build of blender and did use this when working on the model, bummer or what.

I have the entire model saved as a hex file and will try using it to create new .obj files and see if this helps

Altough just thinking i could just send the files to daz, sorry im a bit slow today.

I will of course let you know.

bug_report.png
    585 x 239 - 86K
    edited May 2022

Redacted

• edited December 1969

sorry for the late reply.

Thankyou for the link to the files.

Thanks to your kind help I now have my completed model ready.

Here you can view a short .swf movie of the model : https://www.box.com/s/4987525cd7ff829a2095

I used morphs to help with the chevron moving, but forgot to show the inner ring moving sorry :(

Each chevron has a morph "engaged" with a slider to move the chevron.

The inner ring can be rotated with rotate inner ring dial.

The model is in the following sections:

outer ring plinths :

light housing units:

main outer ring:

inner ring glyphs:

chevrons 1-9.

The model is parented to the outer ring plinths.

You can move, rotate or scale the entire model but the controls are hidden and locked for the various other pieces of the model.

I now need help on how to create the runtime files for the model so I can share the model with all of you.

As this is my first ever model, I am unsure of how to create the runtime so that others can load the model.

I would appricate help, thankyou

• Art_JunkieArt_Junkie Posts: 0
    edited August 2012

All of my content for Daz 2,3,&4, as well as Poser 2012 share the same Directory "F:\DAZ3D\Content". I haven't had any problems. Been using it that way since I started out with Daz 2.3 several years ago.

Post edited by Art_Junkie on
  • edited December 1969

My issue was resolved with the very kind help form cridgit, it was just the orgin point of my inner ring that needed to re set to the centre.

However I wish to check something.

My poser main program files c: program files (86)->smith micro->poser 8

has a runtime->libraries without a materials foder

However I had poser before i got daz so I have a poser content folder c: my documents->poser 8 content->runtime-libraries.

Has a materials folder.

Is this correct ??

I have been researching on how to save a daz studio scene complete with all the nessary items so others may load the file.

Save the scene into a new folder, this action if this is the first time saving the scene will create the data files.

lib->doc->daz3d->studio->my library->data-4_0_2, as I am using daz studio 4 edition.

note its a very good idea to name your .obj files in a unique way, makes it a lot easier to find them.

I need to also incude the textures used for the files.

But, i would like to again check.

Do I need to put the textures used into a set place ?

Idealy i am trying to set up a runtime so others can load the model with the scene and all nesssary files.

If someone would be kind enough to help many thanks

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,809
    edited December 1969

As long as the textures are in a mapped directory (My Library or poser 8 content) when you apply them, and you place them in the zips in the folders they occupy in the content directory, then they should be fine. If they aren't in a mapped directory then the saved files will use the full path to the files, and they won't work on other machines. This is true for both Poser and DAZ Studio.

• DWGDWG Posts: 770
    edited December 1969

Standard for textures would be runtime/textures/.

While the .OBJ would normally go in runtime/geometries/

I wouldn't recommend saving it as a scene for redistribution, the standard for this kind of thing would be to save it as a Poser character - select it and then file/export and select Poser CR2 file. That would then make it accessible to Poser users as well as Studio (Poser CR2 files are also much simpler to edit the file locations in - open the file in a text editor, look for all of the .OBJ or .JPG references and change them to point to the appropriate folders in textures and geometries). As Richard says, the file addressing should be relative, i.e. start with runtime, rather than an absolute address starting with the drive and everything between there and runtime. Relative file addresses will work on anyone's computer, absolute ones will only work on your computer.

I'd advise looking at the zips of some freebies and also inside one or two CR2 or PP2 files in runtime/libraries/character or /props to get a feeling for how freebies are usually packaged and texture and obj files addressed

Alternatively you can use file/save as/DSF Character file, but that will then only be usable by Studio users.

• edited December 1969

DWG said:

Standard for textures would be runtime/textures/.

While the .OBJ would normally go in runtime/geometries/

I wouldn't recommend saving it as a scene for redistribution, the standard for this kind of thing would be to save it as a Poser character - select it and then file/export and select Poser CR2 file. That would then make it accessible to Poser users as well as Studio (Poser CR2 files are also much simpler to edit the file locations in - open the file in a text editor, look for all of the .OBJ or .JPG references and change them to point to the appropriate folders in textures and geometries). As Richard says, the file addressing should be relative, i.e. start with runtime, rather than an absolute address starting with the drive and everything between there and runtime. Relative file addresses will work on anyone's computer, absolute ones will only work on your computer.

I'd advise looking at the zips of some freebies and also inside one or two CR2 or PP2 files in runtime/libraries/character or /props to get a feeling for how freebies are usually packaged and texture and obj files addressed

Alternatively you can use file/save as/DSF Character file, but that will then only be usable by Studio users.

Thankyou I have been looking at the file/export and select Poser CR2 file, but the video shows genesis.

I assume the process would be the same for my model ?

I spotted a easy error on my part i saved the normals when i exported the .obj files.

I plan on re-saving the .obj files correctly and re setup all the morphs and with the model in the viewport hit file/export and select Poser CR2 file.

following alone with the video but using my own screen name->project file->project name.

altough at this point my model is not currently a daz studio prop / figure have I to do this first ??

Sorry for the newbee questions and thanks for the help

• DWGDWG Posts: 770
    edited December 1969

Thankyou I have been looking at the file/export and select Poser CR2 file, but the video shows genesis.

The process is:
    select your rigged item,
    select file/export,
    tell it where to save the file and what to call it
    accept the default options.
    Try it and see, you're creating a separate file and have your original saved scene, so if there's a problem you haven't lost anything.

altough at this point my model is not currently a daz studio prop / figure have I to do this first ??

I'm not an expert on that side of things, but if it's in the scene with working morphs then I would presume Studio already thinks it is a figure even if you haven't actually saved it as one. You shouldn't need to do anything other than save it, the only issue might be if it was using some of the Studio-only features such as weight-mapping, in which case you might have to forget about saving in Poser format and save it as a DAZ Studio DSF Character File instead.

• edited December 1969

DWG said:

The process is:
    select your rigged item,
    select file/export,
    tell it where to save the file and what to call it
    accept the default options.
    Try it and see, you're creating a separate file and have your original saved scene, so if there's a problem you haven't lost anything.

I'm not an expert on that side of things, but if it's in the scene with working morphs then I would presume Studio already thinks it is a figure even if you haven't actually saved it as one. You shouldn't need to do anything other than save it, the only issue might be if it was using some of the Studio-only features such as weight-mapping, in which case you might have to forget about saving in Poser format and save it as a DAZ Studio DSF Character File instead.

In the utube it shows the user clicking on the genesis folder as part of the operations.

As I do not have a folder setup I have nothing to point to.

The model is a prop as it is parented together to make up the entire model.

Wiil the export as .pz2 work for multiple items ?

I have asked on another forum for help with how to create a zip file for daz studio 4 only.

I have daz studio on another computer without the model and wish to test I have done everything correctly.

If you can help with the information please do

edited May 2022

Redacted

• edited December 1969

cridgit said:

I now need help on how to create the runtime files for the model so I can share the model with all of you.

If you want to share with both DAZ Studio and Poser users, use the following folder structure:

Runtime/geometries///OBJ
    Runtime/textures///JPG
    Runtime/libraries/character///CR2 + PNG
    Runtime/libraries/props///PP2 + PNG
    Runtime/libraries/pose///PZ2 + PNG
    Runtime/libraries/materials///MC6 + PNG

That should cover most of the files you may need to share. Possibly you have only characters and no props, or no poses. If you have any others (e.g. cameras, lights, hair etc.) let me know and I'll tell you what folders to use.

You can include DAZ Studio .DSA files in all of the above "libraries" subfolders, then Poser users will see the Poser files and DAZ Studio users will see the DSA files. If you have both Poser and DSA files in the same subfolder, they can share the PNG thumbnails.

That's all you need to share. If you want to go the extra step and create metadata for your DAZ Studio 4 users, check the Metadata Toolkit link in my sig.

Thank you for your kind help and I need it.

I am having trouble getting my model to show within the content lib.

I created a new folder "my screen name" runtime folder--> lib--textures.

lib-->props-->"my screen name"--> what do I put in here ? I tried the daz studio scene and a saved .dsa file, I have the 91x91 png image in here.

But nothing is showing..

textures-->"my screen name"--> jpg images.

I was able to use the smart content to add the model to the Categories-->Scences and Props-->Envionments.

Goal: To use the export function export as .cr2 for the entire model and I am watching the utbe for instructions but they already have the Genesis figure within the daz studio content lib.

This seems to be an important step, hence my attempt to include my model into the content lib.

I am almost at the point of giving up :(

Please,please someone help me...........

• edited December 1969

Issue resolved:

The export as .cr2 will only work for a figure and not a prop.

I finaly got my model into the content lib of daz studio next setup the model in poser.

Many thanks Cridit for your patientience and help

CLOSED