Rendered image is crisp, rendered video frame is blurry

2»

Comments

• Steve KSteve K Posts: 3,189
    edited December 1969

FWIW, my experience with Quicktime codecs is that the 48 Hour Film Project folks pretty much insist on a self-contained Quicktime file using the DV/DVC Pro codec. I do render full frame, then in the video editor I compress to whatever is needed. I give the 48HFP folks what they want, even though my standard Quicktime player shows it at half resolution (I don't have the Pro version). Its still good enough to check for glitches, and the 48HFP folks using Final Cut Pro can make it look good on a big theater screen.

Then I make another version, typically Windows Media Video, that looks very good with high settings, and works fine to upload to YouTube, email (maybe somewhat lower settings), etc.

Again, just FWIW, I'm just the animator ...

• evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,040
    edited September 2012

I believe you can also upload a .mov file using the DVC codec to Youtube, but the file size will be large.

Post edited by evilproducer on
  • Steve KSteve K Posts: 3,189
    edited December 1969

I believe you can also upload a .mov file using the DVC codec to Youtube, but the file size will be large.

I think the "large" part is correct. The 48 Hour Film Project movies are about 5 minutes long, and as I mentioned they pretty much require Quicktime using the DV/DVC Pro codec. They also warn participants that if the file is less than 1 GB, there is probably a mistake. And in fact my ~100MB entry one year had a lot of glitches on the theater screen (looked OK on my computer). The contest requires a physical dropoff of the file, typically on a flash drive, so its no problem.

But for email/upload/etc I prefer Windows Media Video - WAY smaller files and they look fine to me on a computer. Dunno about the theater screen ...