Mec4D again! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EQcD590XhiY&feature=plcp
  • 3dcal3dcal Posts: 178
    edited August 2012

Great animation and rendering. :)

Post edited by 3dcal on
  • RoygeeRoygee Posts: 2,247
    edited December 1969

Really great effects

Probably not for crystals, but for light patterns from water, Caustics Generator is brilliant. Free version at http://www.dualheights.se/caustics/

• JoeMamma2000JoeMamma2000 Posts: 2,615
    edited December 1969

Roygee said:
    Probably not for crystals, but for light patterns from water, Caustics Generator is brilliant. Free version at http://www.dualheights.se/caustics/

AAAIIIIEEEEEEEEE !!!!!! You guys and your software solutions for everything !!!!

• Sphinx MagooSphinx Magoo Posts: 572
    edited December 1969

megacal said:
    you could hand draw a simple caustics pattern that you can use as a Gel for a light. And it will give you some wonderful results.

Or just search the internet for “caustics” and you can find all kinds of images that you can borrow from to make a really nice light Gel.

Great effect, JoeMamma 2000! ;-)

I haven't tried Caustics or Light Gels before, but definitely will try your method on an ice cube. Thanks for the tip. :)

Hi SmallFy,

re: your final render......what shader do you have on the ice? Sorry, the crystals don't look anything like ice (?),
    regardless of caustics.

Would love to be able to do this in Carrara some day. (C4D/AR3) :)

Oh, I know it doesn't look anything like ice. Especially after the renders that bombed because I got nil pointer and memory allocation errors. I put a bug report in, but, man, after seeing what could have been... After all the hassles I had, I was glad to just be able to get this render out.

%-P

edited December 1969

Hi SmallFry,

I had Sky Light enabled, Indirect Light enabled and set up for Ambient Occlusion only, a couple of Anything Glows lights, and Caustics. All this on a WinXP PC that’s about 5 years old. It’s a scene filled with ice slides, a Stonemason building set, about 6 LoRez figures, 2 Mike3 figures with clothing, and a partridge in a pear tree.

Well, that 'splains it! It was the %$#&! partridge! :lol:

I hope you had use of another computer during the render(?)......if not, Do Not Pass Go! Go directly to Frys, Best Buy or NewEgg and
    get the cheapest computer if necessary to be your render box.....it will no doubt be way better than any 5yr old.
    You will live longer due to less stress, have your cake and eat it, too. :cheese:

I have a 5yr old HP6226 laptop that still works great, and was the cheapest I could find at the time ($700) to replace a $1900 computer
    that was being worked on in the shop.

I'm amazed at how much computer you can buy today for $350! ......they're almost disposable....people pay more for smart phones!

Life is too short for 4day renders, imho. :-P

• RoygeeRoygee Posts: 2,247
    edited August 2012

All this talk about caustics made me thirsty - so did a Joe Mamma-inspired practical test an poured a rather large whiskey on the rocks to check for caustics - nope, nothing. From the glass, yes, from the ice, no. Lots of reflection and refraction, but no caustics. Had a couple more to be sure - my wife says it was six, but who's counting.

Came up with this

Have a drink, Superman, it'll do you good!

whiskey.jpg
    640 x 480 - 30K
    Post edited by Roygee on
  • MalusMalus Posts: 370
    edited August 2012

What about the plugins for carrara how hard will they be to transfer over? Do I have to track down my codes again to transfer them to the new version? I'm not talking about this version I'm talking about a version that isn't beta, the complete version if you will. Norton said carrara 8.5 exe isn't safe and it removed it (WTF). Well I can't install the new version my antivirus wont allow it. What are you trying to pull here.

Post edited by Malus on
  • WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,667
    edited December 1969

your antivirus is giving false positives
    no-one trying to pull anything :roll:

edited August 2012

It's never done it before. I'm giving it another shot. I have notice that it doesn't show the file size that may be the cause of it or not. It just shows how much I have downloaded. It doesn't show how much out of a certain amount.

Post edited by Malus on
    edited August 2012

This is what it says. What the heck am I supposed to do I can't get it to stop is there anyway for the programmers to make it trust worthy.

Untrustworth.jpg
    438 x 55 - 12K
    Post edited by Malus on
    edited August 2012

64 bit nor 32 bit is any good the anti virus kicks it out and utterly destroys it completely with no way to recover it.

Post edited by Malus on
  • ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

You will find it in your quarantined files. This is an annoying Norton characteristic, it quarantimes any file that it doesn't recognise.

You simply need to restore it from out of your quarantine folder.

edited December 1969

Cant figure it out. I went and found the quarantine folder but no matter what I do I can't get in. I try to figure out how do it from norton, but that doesn't work either.

edited December 1969

Reaper,
    Maybe time to switch to another anti-virus?
    Never had any problems with AVG, or NOD32 with downloads/installs, slow downs, or other annoyances......no viruses as far as I know.

I stopped using Norton at least 15yrs ago as it was invasive and slowed my computer.....but that was then, and can't say it would
    be the same today. But tagging C8 as a threat is a major pita.:grrr:

Roygee,

liked your caustics test method mate, but I'd be seeing stars by #3. :-P

But a glass of Penfolds Tawny helps steady the hand and clear the mind.....good for the heart, too. :cheese:

Had to have a go at caustics and did this Dark Crystal. I had to bump the intensity to 500, and photons to 70k to get enough caustics. Just an experiment.

"All good fun" -bwtr

;-)

edited December 1969

Mcafee was worst, but norton hasn't ever done this before. I'm not changing anytime soon I guess I wait norton out then try a different one. Besides there isn't much of a difference between 8 and 8.5 for now.

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

I changed to Avast, after being reccomended to it by several people. It has the advantage that you can download the free version and use that, if you like it then you will get an option to upgrade to the paid for version.

• Kodiak3dKodiak3d Posts: 223
    edited August 2012

DUF problem...

I loaded everything from "Sacrament" (http://www.daz3d.com/shop/sacrament) into DAZ Studio 4.5, saved the scene as a .duf, then tried to open it in the current C8.5 beta. I just get the dreaded "An error occurred while executing Open." Any ideas?

P.S.
    Also tried creating a new Scene and using Import. I still get the same error, but all the items show up in the scene list but they aren't really there (invisible).

(If you're wondering why I bothered opening Sacrament in Studio at all it's because the preload doesn't work in Carrara.)

Post edited by Kodiak3d on
    edited August 2012

yeah, I preloaded sacrament in Poser and opened the pz3 in Carrara for that reason.
    Jack does not use Carrara.
    I did at the time of it's release when I bought it suggest an optional full scene for that reason but he was uninterested.
    oddly the Dream house loads correctly.
    (including all the furniture, yes I have a fully furnished 1Gig .car file that takes 10min to load)
    importing it as an obj might be the only other way.

Post edited by WendyLuvsCatz on
  • DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,099
    edited December 1969

So, if I remember correctly, if I'm getting "Error: File Cannot be Found" errors, I need to refresh and re download for Genesis items? Is there a list anywhere for this or is it all "hit and miss"?

Also, I was under the impression that materials were now to show up (and work) in C8.5
    If it's not, am I to reset/redownload everything? Do I need the latest DS if I'm NOT using Smart Content?

• 0oseven0oseven Posts: 626
    edited December 1969

chohole said:
    I changed to Avast, after being reccomended to it by several people. It has the advantage that you can download the free version and use that, if you like it then you will get an option to upgrade to the paid for version.

Avast very hard to uninstall and they keep sending emails despite my unsubscribing 3 times.

Now switched to Commodo ( again ) as I had used it a long time ago - free and very happy with it.

• MiloMilo Posts: 511
    edited December 1969

I use the Comodo Firewall / Defense shield.. I dropped the AV part and went back to AVG Free for that. Comodo needs to get the Itunes thing figured out though LOL

• MiloMilo Posts: 511
    edited December 1969

Here is a silly question. How do I get a basic Genesis figure in the Beta? I can't seem to find where to create one.

edited December 1969

you need to have Daz studio 4 installed and it in your smart content first.
    Then it will be in your Carrara smart content too.

edited December 1969

My Serial CDZCPRO-085-0031100-RLS-001-EBTQFSA

Stopped working today 01/Sept/2012

Is there going to be a new serial or perhaps another build ?

• StezzaStezza Posts: 7,751
    edited December 1969

so has mine.. it was supposed to last till the 15th September according to first post!

• de3ande3an Posts: 915
    edited August 2012

The previous serial number (CDZCPRO-085-0000026-BLW-001-EBTOLPQ ) was set to expire August 31st.

Since it is still August 31st here, my Carrara 8.5 is still working. But I suppose tomorrow when I plug in the newer serial number (CDZCPRO-085-0031100-RLS-001-EBTQFSA ) it will fail too.

And since DAZ always arranges for serial numbers to expire just before the weekends, I suppose we'll all have to wait until Monday before the issue is fixed.
    >:(

Edit: Oops, I forgot, Monday is Labor Day, so we wait until Tuesday.

Post edited by de3an on
    edited December 1969

Sorry Folks - False Alarm.

CDZCPRO-085-0031100-RLS-001-EBTQFSA is still working preumably until 15th Sept.\\

I realised I had the previous serial for activation which did expire 30th August. This confusion probably because I have been installing/uninstalling differwnt versions both 32 and 64 bit ( all because I couldnt get certain things to work )

Using 5.5 build 149 because latest has serios flaws.

Apologies if I panicked you

edited December 1969

funny, I had to put in the latest serial yesterday too!
    I had already on the latest build which I replaced with the previous one, just thought it must have used the serial previously associated with it so re-entered it without much thought on the matter!

This discussion has been closed.