Octane Render for Carrara (OR4C) Public Beta now released..

Comments

• JonstarkJonstark Posts: 2,738
    edited December 1969

dustrider said:
    Here is another one, this is probably my favorite of the images I have done with Octane so far. The main light is Octane Sunlight coming through the windows, with some very low intensity mesh lights using the room model sconces (to help clear up the image because of the low lighting level). This is just a crop of the full image. you can see the full image here (warning - nudity http://www.renderosity.com/mod/gallery/index.php?image_id=2558952). Sorry for the nudity, but I really think it adds a lot to the mood of the image.

It hits my mood just fine!

Seriously, very very nice render Dustrider. I really really want to play with this plugin.

I used to think the lead guitarist for a band I was in was a little nuts, because he had so many many different guitars. It seemed logical to me that all you would need is one quality electric guitar and one acoustic, that ought to cover it. But he was forever buying more guitars. More electrics with different body designs, more acoustics, twelve strings, six strings, etc. And he used to think I was nuts for wondering why he kept getting more, as he swore each one had it's on special virtues.

I guess the shoe is on the other foot now, and I guess I'm starting to understand the madness. After all, by my own logic all you need is one really good biased and one really good unbiased render engine, right? That should cover all bases. Yet I'm about to take the plunge and pick up my 3rd unbiased render engine. And counting Studio, Poser, Carrara and the biased engines that are included with Thea I've also got tons of biased renderers to choose from too.

My wallet won't forgive me any time soon if I buy Octane... but if I don't get it, I fear my heart will never forgive me... :)

• DustRiderDustRider Posts: 2,691
    edited December 1969

Jonstark said:
    Dang it, too soon, too soon!! :) I know that's a weird complaint, but I had in my mind's eye that this would still be about 6 months out, and was mentally preparing to save up the scratch to get it. I do have $500, but I'm not sure I can claim I have $500 to spare, and certainly I haven't mentally worked myself up to be ready to spend on this yet... arrgh, I'm torn...

Seems like I always choose wrong. Back when I first learned about unbiased rendering, I couldn't bear the thought of waiting 400 hours to render in Lux, and didn't have a computer that could render with Octane, so I went with Thea (I think it was around $400+ that I ended up shelling out). I *love* Thea, it's an amazing renderer, and the latest version of it is blazing fast with it's GPU + CPU combined renderer... but there's no Carrara plugin for it, and who knows if there ever will be?

After picking up Luxus for Carrara, and could compare 2 different unbiased render engines to each other and get a feel for how it would intersect my workflow. I prefer Thea over Lux, as I'm able to get much better results (probably a function of the fact I'm now very well versed with Thea's materials, and haven't delved too deeply into Lux) and Thea renders much faster of course, BUT I can say that one point Luxus has going for it is that it is much much easier to get my Carrara scene into Lux to render (really it's a matter of setting up a library of shaders for Luxus materials in Carrara, applying them, and then with a click of a button I'm rendering in Lux). My only workflow for Thea is to export my scene as a .obj from carrara, import into Thea, then take the time to edit all my shaders. I do have a substantial library of good Thea shaders already ready to go, so this isn't as time consuming as it sounds, but it's still a pain.

So now Octane... which on the face of it would solve both problems, no more exporting/importing to get it into an unbiased renderer, and the render speed is fast and as far as I can tell the render quality is superb. Plus I now have a laptop that can run Octane, which is something I didn't have before (only 2G but still from my experiments in Thea 2G is plenty to do the type of scenes I tend to do).

But $500... I was ready to spend this, for sure... eventually... just not sure if I can spend it more immediately. I'll probably work some OT over the next 2 weeks so I have the extra money to pick this up though, I can't wait to play :)

Thea is quite impressive, but I think you will be pleasantly surprised by how much faster your workflow will be with OR4C. The Version 2 enhancements of Octane addressed some critical areas where Octane was lacking, and once Otoy implements the ability to use system RAM in addition to GPU RAM, Octane will be a great all round unbiased render engine. I'm sure you will probably miss the ability to do faster biased rendering, but Octane does have the Direct Lighting kernal which uses a bit of ambient occlusion to speed up render times.

Yeah, it's quite an investment, but IMVHO the interactive nature of OR4C viewport and the way it speeds up the general work flow makes it well worth the investment. Hope you can round up the needed cash soon!

edited December 1969

Jonstark said:
    dustrider said:
    Here is another one, this is probably my favorite of the images I have done with Octane so far. The main light is Octane Sunlight coming through the windows, with some very low intensity mesh lights using the room model sconces (to help clear up the image because of the low lighting level). This is just a crop of the full image. you can see the full image here (warning - nudity http://www.renderosity.com/mod/gallery/index.php?image_id=2558952). Sorry for the nudity, but I really think it adds a lot to the mood of the image.

It hits my mood just fine!

Seriously, very very nice render Dustrider. I really really want to play with this plugin.

I used to think the lead guitarist for a band I was in was a little nuts, because he had so many many different guitars. It seemed logical to me that all you would need is one quality electric guitar and one acoustic, that ought to cover it. But he was forever buying more guitars. More electrics with different body designs, more acoustics, twelve strings, six strings, etc. And he used to think I was nuts for wondering why he kept getting more, as he swore each one had it's on special virtues.

I guess the shoe is on the other foot now, and I guess I'm starting to understand the madness. After all, by my own logic all you need is one really good biased and one really good unbiased render engine, right? That should cover all bases. Yet I'm about to take the plunge and pick up my 3rd unbiased render engine. And counting Studio, Poser, Carrara and the biased engines that are included with Thea I've also got tons of biased renderers to choose from too.

My wallet won't forgive me any time soon if I buy Octane... but if I don't get it, I fear my heart will never forgive me... :)
    I'm still kicking myself for NOT looking a bit more seriously at Octane when it was in beta and you could pick up the stand alone for 99 € :ohh: Ahhh ..... 20/20 hind site!

• swordkensiaswordkensia Posts: 348
    edited December 1969

Very excited by this. I plan to build a new system specifically for Octane and Carrara..

One question I have of the Beta testers.., Does the plugin allow you to use the Carrara batch rendering function, so that I could setup five of six different images and just leave it to render them out in Octane.??

Cheers,

S.K.

• PhilWPhilW Posts: 5,139
    edited December 1969

swordkensia - no the batch renderer is not supported. I don't know if this will be an option for the future.

Anyway, here is another of the images I did during testing. I hope I can just about get away with this without any nudity flags...

V4-FirstPoseFinal.jpg
    1200 x 900 - 259K
    edited December 1969

Thank you Phil,

Batch rendering would be really useful.

Really blown away by the renders you guys are posting..,I think I may chuck a 780 gtx into one of my existing systems are start getting to grips with this asap.!!

Cheers,

S.K.

• Orion_UkOrion_Uk Posts: 0
    edited August 2014

Orion - I’m not sure if it’s talent or just a combination of dumb luck and a really awesome render engine

Wish I had your luck!

My rabbits foot & four leaf clover just don t cut it these days!

But your right about one thing, its great to have this awesome render engine as up :P

Post edited by Orion_Uk on
  • rk66rk66 Posts: 433
    edited December 1969

Hi,

@Orion Uk:
    Thanks.

@Sighman:
    This is a good news.

Thanks.

rk.

edited December 1969

Here are a couple more from me. These were a couple of the very early images that I did with Octane Render for Carrara. I was just loading in various sets to see what would work, here Howie Farkes' Country Lane and Stonemason's Urban Future. The textures came in a bit wrong for the Country Lane set, but it gave this nice wet feel to the scene. And like a kid with a new toy, I was playing with the built-in post effects for glare!

SunsetsMontage.jpg
    800 x 900 - 197K
  • EleleElele Posts: 1,097
    edited December 1969

Are there some screenshots from the actual plugin (viewports, tabs, ...)?
    And some more Howie please :D, do they take long to render?

edited December 1969

You can see plenty of screenshots of the interface elements here:
    http://render.otoy.com/manuals/Carrara/

To be honest, many Howie scenes will struggle to load in Octane. Carrara handles trees very efficiently, each leaf that is replicated on a tree refers to a single master object, so it only gets held in memory once and is called upon as needed to render the whole tree. Likewise when a tree (or other object) is included in a replicator or surface replicator, the object itself is only held once and each instance simply refers back to that object description. All very efficient!

However Octane does not (currently) handle nested instancing, so Sighman had to make a decision on how to handle replicated trees - see this page of the manual:
    http://render.otoy.com/manuals/Carrara/?page_id=494

As Howie scenes tend not only to include a lot of trees and other vegetation, but also quite a number of different tree types, they will consequently struggle to load into Octane - for now at least.

• laverdet_943f1f7da1laverdet_943f1f7da1 Posts: 252
    edited December 1969

hello!!! and, help!!! I just buy the package octane- octane carrara plug in... no problem to install octane, and activate it trough the web...then I have play the set up of the plug in, but no way: after opening a new scene,, it doesn't appear in carrara-edit... I miss something??? thank you for help!

edited August 2014

hhmm,

plz check your install paths! what version of Carrara are you running?

You might find your plugin has installed to the wrong location!

Look in your program files folders (32bit & 64 bit?)

Maybe something like you have Carrara 8.1 but it installed (and created a now folder/structure) for 8.5 ?

edited December 1969

celmar - you could check if it was installed to the right place - you should have in your Programs folder Carrara8.5/Extensions/OctaneRender/octane.dll (and a number of other files in the OctaneRender folder).

edited August 2014

SNAP PhilW ;)

Once we know what version and build of Carrara Celmar is running and OS (32/64 bit) we can help move the files to the right location/reinstall if that's the issue :)

edited December 1969

Thank you for your fast answers!!! and no, I have nothing in "extensions"... I use Windows 8-64 bit, I have C8,5 and C 8, but I should prefer to stay Inside carrara8, in fact... I have often problems when installing softwares, as I have a ssd hard disk "C", with "programs files", and a traditional hard disk, with a program files Inside, too... because the ssd is not so big... for example, now, octane is installed and activated on the second disk, not on the "C"... Daz 3d is on the "C" disk... so, I have given the path of the Cdisk to the set up of the plug in, but it seems to write "nothing" in "extensions"...

edited December 1969

If you have multiple versions of Carrara installed, check if it was installed to the Extensions folder of one of the others, and copy across if so. I don't think that you need to have the Octane standalone installed to a similar place so that shouldn't be an issue.

edited August 2014

Elele said:
    Are there some screenshots from the actual plugin (viewports, tabs, ...)?
    And some more Howie please :D, do they take long to render?

The question of how shaders and shader editing for Octane works in Carrara came up on the Otoy Carrara forum, so I thought this might also help answer your question a bit as well (and ofr those who have the DS Plugin and are wondering about OC4C).

Just a bit on how the Carrara plugin deals with materials.

The Carrara plugin (OC4C) does not have the Node Graph Editor (NGE) like the DS plugin. All of the material/shader work with the Carrara plugin is done in the Carrara Materials Room, rather than in an "external" plugin interface like OC4DS. So you may be a bit limited, but not too much. You can still create some very complex materials using the "Mix" material. The Mix material can be used in any of the main material channels/settings to add more complexity or control to a given category.

The attached image shows a basic SSS setup using a mix of Octane Glossy and Octane Diffuse (the Carrara Material is the top material that is retained for use in the Carrara internal rendrer). You can use the mix material for any of the channels under the main material (i.e. Glossy or Diffuse) to create even more complex materials. For example you could use the mix material in the Specular channel of the Glossy material if you wanted a mixture of two texture maps, or maybe use a mixture of a texture map and a dirt shader.

You also have the option of exporting the entire scene (with materials intact) to Octane stand alone if there is a must have node based material that you simply can't recreate in the Carrara shader tree. Unfortunately though, the way you work with Octane materials with OC4C is quite different compared to the DS plugin. But if your are familiar with the Carrara Shader Room, it is quite simple.

For those who have used the DS plugin, you can't drag and drop materials into/onto the OCVP (Octane Render View Port) like with the DS plugin. But you can use Carrara's own built in Drag and Drop capabilities to drag the material/shader you want to use from the Carrara shader tab/library onto the object you want to use it on in the Assembly Room viewport (this drag and drop function also works in the Materials room). I should also mention that all the LiveDB materials are also founs in the shaders tab (but the auto generation of created ions for the LiveDB materials isn't nearly as good as the icons/samples available in the DS plugin).

The big plus in how the Octane materials/shaders are handled in OC4C for Carrara users is you get to continue to used the Mtaterial/Shader editor you are already familiar with!

Note: The base starting point for the SSS shaders used in the example below where the DAZ SSS shaders from the LiveDB, and the same shaders shown in the attached Carrara shader tree image.

Octane_Materials_in_Carrara.JPG
    1073 x 808 - 104K
    G2F_V5_Bree_Test.jpg
    864 x 1062 - 148K
    Post edited by DustRider on
  • SighmanSighman Posts: 56
    edited December 1969

celmar said:
    Thank you for your fast answers!!! and no, I have nothing in "extensions"... I use Windows 8-64 bit, I have C8,5 and C 8, but I should prefer to stay Inside carrara8, in fact... I have often problems when installing softwares, as I have a ssd hard disk "C", with "programs files", and a traditional hard disk, with a program files Inside, too... because the ssd is not so big... for example, now, octane is installed and activated on the second disk, not on the "C"... Daz 3d is on the "C" disk... so, I have given the path of the Cdisk to the set up of the plug in, but it seems to write "nothing" in "extensions"...

Hi celmar,

There is a problem with the current installer. It always installs to [Program Files]\DAZ 3D\Carrara8.5 regardless of where you tell it to go. I hope to fix this ASAP but until then you need to find where the files were installed to and move them to where you installed Carrara.

edited December 1969

thank you sighman... I found the octane folder in the c8,5 folder, and copy it to the extensions's C8 folder... so I see the octane commands... unfortunely, it seems impossible to activate the plug in.. I have always "invalid password etc..."... as I do copy and paste, I don't understand where is the problem!!!

edited December 1969

ooops! restarting Carrara, allows to activate the plug...!!!!

edited December 1969

Another of the images I did when I first had access to the beta version of Octane Render for Carrara. This was an exercise in adjusting Octane materials - as you can have a live render window open as you are adjusting material settings, it was almost ridiculously easy to adjust the absorption in the liquid to give the colour and opacity that I wanted. The tray features a thin film effect which gives an iridescent quality, again very easy to play with while seeing the actual render to get the colour and effect you want.

Thanks for looking, I hope you find these useful in seeing what Octane Render for Carrara can do.

Decanter.jpg
    1200 x 900 - 230K
    edited December 1969

I have just purchased and installed the Plugin..

F*!!KIN*** AMAZING....BUY IT.. you will fall in love with Carrara all over again.

As Phil has just commented, adjustuing textures LIVE whilst you are rendering is an amazing feature and a real time saver, better yet it can ALL be done from within Carrara's own Texture room, so you don't have deal with Octane Render's, too me, high confusing material interface.

If you set up Area Lights / emitters, the strength and colour of these too, can be adjusted whilst rendering (similar to LuxRender).

I hope this Plugin gets the support it deserves and enables Sighman to continue developing it taking it from strength to strength.

Peace,

S.K.

• MasterstrokeMasterstroke Posts: 1,800
    edited December 1969

With a GTX 580, Howie scenes seem to load forever. Trying to skip loading crashes my complete system. It is much faster to render his scenes in carrara itself. Bummer :(

edited December 1969

With a GTX 580, Howie scenes seem to load forever. Trying to skip loading crashes my complete system. It is much faster to render his scenes in carrara itself. Bummer :(

I have just had this happen to me as well, I am also using a 580gtx. 3gb..BUT it is not your card but Carrara 8.5

If you load the same Howie scene into Carrara 8.1 it loads quick and you can easily navigate in the viewport. In my case Country Lane Autumn.

Does anybody have any suggestions or Tricks for using Howie scenes in Carrara 8.5.??

Cheers,

S.K.

edited August 2014

I too have got Country Lane to load and render in OR4C (see my earlier sunset image, and I only have 2GB GPU) but that is about the only one. Have a look at Sighman's documentation on trees to see the problem. You could always try removing or simplifying the trees in other scenes to sort of make them work, but that may remove the detail and complexity which make Howie's scenes unique. If Octane were to implement true nesting of instances then that may change in the future, I seem to remember seeing somewhere that it was on their road map, but probably not imminent.

Post edited by PhilW on
    edited December 1969

PhilW said:
    I too have got Country Lane to load and render in OR4C (see my earlier sunset image, and I only have 2GB GPU) but that is about the only one. Have a look at Sighman's documentation on trees to see the problem. You could always try removing or simplifying the trees in other scenes to sort of make them work, but that may remove the detail and complexity which make Howie's scenes unique. If Octane were to implement true nesting of instances then that may change in the future, I seem to remember seeing somewhere that it was on their road map, but probably not imminent.

Hi Phil,

For me the issue is not that it will not render in Octane, but that once I Load it into Carrara my system bogs down so much that it becomes totally unresponsive. Carrara 8.5

However loading the same scene into 8.1 and I have none of the Interface bog down issues. It is fast and responsive....

So whats the issue in 8.5..??

S.K.
    P.S. I am running an intel i7 3930K @4.3ghz 16gb ram, Win7 64.

• evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,040
    edited December 1969

PhilW said:

Hi Phil,

For me the issue is not that it will not render in Octane, but that once I Load it into Carrara my system bogs down so much that it becomes totally unresponsive. Carrara 8.5

However loading the same scene into 8.1 and I have none of the Interface bog down issues. It is fast and responsive....

S.K.

Just few thoughts that may or may not help. Are you running the 64 bit versions of Carrara? Are the preferences set the same, particularly texture spooling under (I think) Imaging and Scratch Disk? One of the former devs mentioned in a post once, that the 64 bit version should have it very low, but I don't recall the amount. It was somewhat based on the RAM installed. Under the Interactve Renderer, is the display set to OpenGL or software? There was a recent discussion and some users reported better results in the Assembly Room with the software option enabled. Another possibility would be to lower the resolution of displayed texture maps.

I know in some scenes he has his replicators display the mesh of the objects in the replicators. Try turning those to bounding boxes, points or crosses. You could also check the Hide in 3D view option. This will hide the object or replicator in the Assembly Room, but it will still render it.

• MasterstrokeMasterstroke Posts: 1,800
    edited December 1969

It is the same for me in Carrara 8.1. The only benefit is, that it doesn't crash my whole system - only carrara crashes. I am actually contemplating a refund :(

edited December 1969

PhilW said:

Hi Phil,

S.K.

Just few thoughts that may or may not help. Are you running the 64 bit versions of Carrara? Are the preferences set the same, particularly texture spooling under (I think) Imaging and Scratch Disk? One of the former devs mentioned in a post once, that the 64 bit version should have it very low, but I don't recall the amount. It was somewhat based on the RAM installed. Under the Interactve Renderer, is the display set to OpenGL or software? There was a recent discussion and some users reported better results in the Assembly Room with the software option enabled. Another possibility would be to lower the resolution of displayed texture maps.

I know in some scenes he has his replicators display the mesh of the objects in the replicators. Try turning those to bounding boxes, points or crosses. You could also check the Hide in 3D view option. This will hide the object or replicator in the Assembly Room, but it will still render it.

Hi Evilproducer,

Thanks for the tips.

I am running the 64bit version of 8.5.

I will try some of your suggestions, many thanks for those.. :)

However it does not explain why I can load the same scene and navigate without issue in 8.1, but not in 8.5 (exact same interacive render and preference settings).

Sigh..

In anycase I will have a play about.

Cheers for all your help and suggestions.

S.K.