Better way to reinstall content?

Serene NightSerene Night Posts: 17,559
edited December 1969 in The Commons

I find myself with the unenviable task of having to reinstall my daz studio. Is there a better way to install all my content without having to agree and click 1000 + times on the agreement to get my stuff installed in the proper directories?

Comments

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565
    edited December 1969

Do you have a backup of your content folders?

Much older content is now available in .zips, although the Install Manager DAZ 3D is developing isn't available yet.

For the most recent bitrock installers (the ones with filenames that say 1.0, 1.1, etc.) someone developed a batch file for installing multiple items with command-line parameters -- don't recall who it was, but I have a batch file I adapted from it that I've been using.

• Serene NightSerene Night Posts: 17,559
    edited December 1969

Do you have a backup of your content folders?

Much older content is now available in .zips, although the Install Manager DAZ 3D is developing isn't available yet.

For the most recent bitrock installers (the ones with filenames that say 1.0, 1.1, etc.) someone developed a batch file for installing multiple items with command-line parameters -- don't recall who it was, but I have a batch file I adapted from it that I've been using.

I backed up my runtime, but daz didn't recognize a lot of the stuff I'd bought in the store for some reason. It recognized the third party stuff, so I decdied to reinstall.

I have all the individual installers as well and have been painfully reinstalling them, but each installer requires three or four clicks and its a pita.

If you can remember the name of the installer I'd love to try it.

edited December 1969

DS4 should be able to see your content. Where is your content folder, and what is your operating system? Can you go to Edit>Preferences>Directories>Content Directory Manager, expand both the "DS Formats" and "Poser Formats" sections, and post a screenshot?

edited July 2012

I am running the 4.5 beta on windows 7. The beta worked fine until this am when it stopped letting me enter certain menus because it thought I was in search, even though I was not, there was no way to circumvent this, as it was some sort of weird stored preference. I reset it to factory default, and uninstalled the beta, but it was saved or something, because the problem occured and I could not get into some of my menus. It was odd.

I had backed up the runtime before upgrading to the new beta. I tried just installing the Daz 4 and putting my stuff in runtime, but it only recognized the early stuff none of the stuff like genesis.These items were simply missing.

Here is a screenshot of how it is currently setup. Of course it works now- it is a clean install. But when I put my stuff in before I could only see colder content.

I wish there were an easier way to handle reinstalls of product. I'm afraid to do anything but install through installers since, the dropping the stuff back in the folders was not effective last time.

screen.jpg
    504 x 707 - 119K
    Post edited by Serene Night on
  • JohnDelaquioxJohnDelaquiox Posts: 1,184
    edited December 1969

Its good to back up the entire content folder

edited December 1969

When you say backup the 'entire content folder' you mean the whole daz-3d foler with stuff inside?

edited December 1969

Yeah, most importantly of all is the Data folder without that none of your scenes will load

• Zev0Zev0 Posts: 7,045
    edited July 2012

What I do is have my Daz library on a seperate drive or a folder out of Daz. Then whenever I re-install I tell Daz to create the new library on the root. Then I delete it and when I load Daz I point it to my actual library which is saved somewhere else. So with each re-install it never gets overwriten or deleted and my library stays exactly how it was since the last install.

Post edited by Zev0 on
  • terwillterwill Posts: 1
    edited December 1969

Just want to remind, Studio 4 installs to "My Library". A back up from this point will get both Genesis and cr.2 files. Older versions of DS install to "Content".
    (I want to install content by themes. I hope this works when I want to switch content packages. :cheese: )

edited December 1969

terwill said:
    Just want to remind, Studio 4 installs to "My Library". A back up from this point will get both Genesis and cr.2 files. Older versions of DS install to "Content".
    (I want to install content by themes. I hope this works when I want to switch content packages. :cheese: )

Remember that these are the default locations, but you can call them anything you want, and you can put both DS3 and DS4 content in the same location.

edited December 1969

Yeah I have all my stuff in one content folder already on another drive and a backup of that drive at my home computer

• JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

I wish some power user would write a simple to understand tutorial on the Category feature of DS4Pro and DS4.5. If users understood how easy it is to set up and backup for later installs and even PC moves all this installing to different Folders and such would drop off by about 60%. I have moved my DS3 categories and content to Two new PC's without even needing anything but a standard content install for new content. DS4Pro and Ds4.5 can do the same. So much easier than multiple content folders and such.

edited December 1969

You still have to reinstall what ever plugins you use for each install of each version of studio

I have studio 2.3, 3.1 advanced and ds4 pro all using the same content folder each with its own set of plugins

They are still some great plugins that never got an update like the Bryce shaders.

• JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

You still have to reinstall what ever plugins you use for each install of each version of studio I have studio 2.3, 3.1 advanced and ds4 pro all using the same content folder each with its own set of plugins
    They are still some great plugins that never got an update like the Bryce shaders.
    That Sounds just like my set up almost. I have a DS3 content folder that gets all things not Genesis or DS4 only and a DS4 My Libary folder that holds all things Genesis and DS4 only. My DS2.3 and DS3A both read the DS three content and DS4 reads ALL my content DS2 upto DS4. All my catagories work in DS3A and DS4Pro.
    edited December 1969

Yeah that sounds really complicated

In studio 2.3 and 3 I only have one location folder while in ds4 I have one for poser or ds2 ds3 content and just one for ds4 content

I am also using dark side in studio 4 I can't work with out it