List Your Carrara Issues Here

IamArtistXIamArtistX Posts: 119
edited October 2014 in Carrara Discussion

I have read here and other forums how people are having issues with C8.5, what issue(s) have you had/still having with it?

My reason behind this thread is to try and get Daz to notice us, although Carrara users may be a small group, we all still buy things that are not Carrara specific, and there have been a few things released by Daz lately that do not work in Carrara. We have paid for it it, so I do not see it as asking too much to have a fully working version.

My issues

When using either Genesis or Genesis 2, I will often get non informative error boxes pop up, the dreaded "An error has occurred while "insert reason here" "

When using Genesis or Genesis 2 characters/clothing Carrara will crash to the desktop and I lose work, no warning, just straight to desktop.

I get an error when opening earlier versions of .car files from C8 or C8.1, again the error is NOT informative - "An error has occurred while opening/saving"

There were others but they dont seem to happen as much at this time, and before people say Genesis 2 ins't supported and we have to wait for an updated version of Carrara, I know this, but how long do we have to wait, its not like Daz are the most forthcoming of companies in regards to information.

As I say this isn't a thread to bash Daz, I just think it's about time they took notice of their paying customers, the worse thing they did was remove the bug tracker, to me this is their way of hiding of which apps are not being worked on.

There are things I would like to buy, but without knowing they are supported and work, I am not going to take the chance, as I don't see the point in buying things, finding out they don't work and then having to go through support to get my money back.

I honestly do not think it is too much to ask that Daz communicate with us

Edit: okay seeing as some people seem to be confused, and seem to think that this is only for C8.5, IT IS FOR ANY CARRARA VERSION, just because I started off with saying 8.5 has issues I thought people would have understood by the title of the thread where it says CARRARA ISSUES

Post edited by Chohole on

Comments

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,193
    edited July 2014

I would love to see a bit more communication to us (the Carrara User Community) from DAZ 3D as well.

To add my initial two cents (USD) to this:

Genesis 1 & 2, Triax, and DS product compatibility with 8.5 -
    I have been much slower on my purchases toward Genesis 2 (M & F) than I would be if we either received a Carrara 8.5 Update, or even just some communication lending word to the fact that such a thing is under progress.

In the same light, it has even slowed my workflow of Genesis and Genesis 2 almost entirely, which greatly affects my decision to make further Triax related purchases. One method I've used to counter this is to be sure that what I am buying works for Poser, not just DAZ Studio. Many of my friends have actually been purchasing more than ever from Renderosity and Runtime DNA, because of the fact that so many of the current releases here are for Genesis/Genesis 2.

Now the above was only mentioned to help to illustrate to DAZ 3D the importance of the points that IamArtistX was saying in regards to updates/communication.

As many of you know, I am a huge fan and supporter of DAZ 3D. This is not simply because I am a published artist here, but more that my being such a fan is why I am published here.

So I am not trying to bash DAZ 3D, even though I cannot help but to agree with those whom feel that the utter silence we get in this forum regarding updates and continued development of Carrara border-lining on shear rudeness from the developer.

Other Issues -
    Aside from the above mentioned and aside from 'requests' for future features, I must say that I am really pleased with Carrara 8.5 Pro.

My biggest beef towards Carrara right now is only the fact that I'm not getting enough time to spend with it right now.
    Man, if only I could get a few days, or even hours, to just lock myself in my study with my Carrara Pro machine running, and myself clicking away in my workflow. I have so many things on the work bench right now. Some are near completion, some are in the initial stages of development, and the rest falls somewhere in between. But to even have the time to sit back and work out a cool render would do me fine right now!

So once I get myself busy in Carrara again, maybe I'll have some more to add to this. But with the top part of this post mentioned, I'm working mostly with Generation 4 figures and 'Made-for Poser' content to reduce headaches, and it works beautifully as always, but with the added benefits afforded with the new 8.5 fixes and enhancements. I do enjoy working with Genesis (1 & 2), and find the whole system of conforming items with them to be a stroke of genius. So if we would get an update for Carrara that brings us more up-to-speed with Genesis and Genesis 2 related issues, I would definitely be purchasing more from the latest product lines!

Post edited by Dartanbeck on
  • ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited July 2014

WE have removed several posts from this thread in order to allow it to go back to it's original purpose.

Post edited by Chohole on
  • evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,040
    edited July 2014

chohole said:
    WE have removed several posts from this thread in order to allow it to go back to it's original purpose.

Edited.

Post edited by evilproducer on
    edited December 1969

chohole said:
    Good idea.
    And without further fueling any of that, I truly hope that all of that cools down and returns to the love, fun, and ambition that we've all been sharing around here lately. I love this whole community... everyone.
  • TangoAlphaTangoAlpha Posts: 4,584
    edited December 1969

The thing that bugs me most is "an error occurred while saving this file" On a big scene, it can take 10, 15 minutes or even longer to save the .car file, especially if you put a genesis or two in it. Then after 15 minutes it throws up an error. It's completely uninformative - it tells you nothing about what went wrong. So all you can do is try again and blindly hope that the next time, it works. And 15 minutes later...

I have said "words." Words that are only understood by an Englishman or Joss Whedon.

It would be nice if DS textures/shaders worked out of the box, but that's more of an inconvenience. The lack of support for Poser weight mapping is definitely a pain when it comes to 3rd party figures (Dawn for instance) And as for G2 not working properly... if Daz wants my money, they can fix it, but it's not like there's a shortage of other figures...

• IamArtistXIamArtistX Posts: 119
    edited December 1969

Ah yes, forgot about Dawn and her weight mapping, I remember you posting about it at hivewire now :)

As to Genesis, as I stated above due to the issues they have given me, I am still using Generation 4 models

• DustRiderDustRider Posts: 2,691
    edited December 1969

Good idea IamArtistX!
    Chohole, I also like the idea of making this a sticky thread. That would keep it from getting lost. I can see several advantages to having it here, visibility to DAZ being the most important.

Only a couple of things come to mind right now.
    The first one isn't really a bug, but it sure can bug the heck out of anyone using Carrara. Could we please make "smapling" the default filtering for texture maps, or at least make this a user configurable option? IMHO the now default Fast Mip Map (it used to be sampling) degrades the render results too much. As a result, most textures on imported content (DS or Poser) this needs to be changed by the user to enable the texture maps to perform as designed.

Second, again, not a bug, rather more of an incomplete feature set. We need to be able to use Genesis, and Genesis 2 content as well in Carrara as it can be used in DS. Currently, things like the smoothing modifier and the push modifier are not available in Carrara. This makes using these figures much more problematic in Carrara.

A third issue - could we please get the shading list "window" in the materials room to stop re-setting to the top of the list every time a shader is selected. This is an extremely counter productive behavior when trying to edit the materials for objects with multiple material zones (i.e. some of StoneMasons scenes, V4, Genesis, Gs, etc.).

These are the things on the top of my list right now, and also some items that I think make Carrara a less desirable "upgrade" for DS and Poser users.

• BackDoor3DBackDoor3D Posts: 160
    edited December 1969

My biggest whinge at the moment has to do with the DAZ CMS, which allows Carrara 8.5 to see all of the installed DAZ Studio Smart Content.

Well, it appears that we have been forgotten once again.........

I upgraded to the latest version of DAZ Studio Pro 4.6.3.52 and installed the PostgreSQL (PG) CMS. I did this primarily because of the flaky behaviour of the Valentina DB and the CMS service crashing, corrupting DB's etc.

In my naiviety didn't realise that installing the PG DB and uninstalling the Valentina DB/CMS would actually render Smart Content in Carrara not only useless but null and void as it does not even show up! Carrara initiates the DAZ Content Management Service on startup, looking for the Valentina DB and of course there is no data for it to find. Nor does it recognise the new PostgreSQL running (if it is indeed running, as it only does if DAZ and/or DIM are running, unlike the old versions using Valentina where the service ran all the time)......

Hope that make sense.....god knows I'm confused!!!

It is by no means a show stopper as I am able to see all of the installed content through Carrara's Content Pane........

But really, why?? Seriously folks, did know one at DAZ think this through for all users of their software, not just DAZ Studio users....???

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,794
    edited July 2014

rigging and weightpainting my own stuff is a task I am forced to do in C8.1 as C8.5 has the triax form and the animated pose of the figure does not stick when weightpainting in tbe vertex modeller, it reverts to default pose as you use the brush making selecting spiked vertex and wrongly assigned vertices impossible
    if one could have the option of the simple weightpainting window found in C8.1 & below as well as the new triax it would make life much easier.
    In fact it is often easier to rig in Daz studio for me now and I often do but not everyone wants to.

Post edited by WendyLuvsCatz on
  • mrposermrposer Posts: 1,127
    edited December 1969

Thanks to the great tutorial videos from Phil I think I finally know how I always lose my production frame and even better how to reset to it.
    I use the 2D zoom and translate alot while working on a scene.... now I know that they are not part of the production camera movements you are looking thru and the production frame does not move with them.

Still I would like an option to make all cameras to become WYSIWYG even when using the 2D buttons.

• HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,922
    edited July 2014

chohole said:

Gee, I wish you would let me read them before you remove them ;)

Me, I don't have any trouble with Carrara 8.5 because though I bought it, I still use 8.1 something.

Loading up Carrara 8.5 was like going to your favourite supermarket and finding out they stuck the salami where the bread used to be, put the ice-cream with the pizzas and coated all the aisles with polyunsaturated margarine.

The only trouble I have with 8.1 something is when I put a new vertex mesh in the vertex room, bang the plus sign a lot to get more polys, and then forget to click away from the mesh before I go back to the assembly room, then 100 percent of the time Carrara 8.1 something crashes.

As far as Carrara 9, I only hope and pray that the people who design it are people who actually use it on a day to day basis for practical things like making images and animations.

Post edited by Headwax on
  • That Other PersonaThat Other Persona Posts: 381
    edited December 1969

Render nodes need fixing for Mac OS 10.9; I have no idea about 10.10. Submitted this way, way, way back in October...

There is also an NLA bug I submitted... occurs when following one of Mark Bremmer's tutorials (which was done pre-10.9).

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,073
    edited September 2014

I agree with several others that this thread should be a sticky, or we should revive one of the previous incarnations and make it a sticky. I am trying to remember some of the issues I have posted previously.

One general issue, not necessarily a bug, is that Carrara should be able to export a DUF file that can be read by Daz Studio as long as Carrara's special functions are not used.

Here are two problems that I have had that do not appear to be general problems. Instead, they seem to affect only some of us.

In 8.5, I get an error when using the "convert to" modeler function. I don't get that error using 8.1.

In 8.5, the surface replication function does not honor exclusion zones painted black using Carrara's 3D paint tool unless the map is first opened and saved using a 3rd party paint program. I don't have this problem with 8.1.

Edit: I submitted this. Request #177199

Post edited by Diomede on
  • TangoAlphaTangoAlpha Posts: 4,584
    edited December 1969

UV mapping needs fixing - submitted this way back when. It's a right pain having to do a full unwrap just for a simple cylinder! Oh and while we're at it, can we have an Atlas map? And a proper knife tool in the vertex modeller? And symmetry that works with more tools?

edited December 1969

Try closing the Volumetric Clouds molding room, and Carrara locks up. I know it's a 'known' issue, but I would love to see that get fixed!

As for the "Fast Mip-Map" default texture mapping filter, perhaps the mapping filter default could be a selection option in preferences or have a "Set as Default" button added next to the field in the Texture Room would help to alleviate the issue, since some of us prefer the new mip-mapping over sampling?

• That Other PersonaThat Other Persona Posts: 381
    edited December 1969

I know it's a 'known' issue, but I would love to see that get fixed!

There are several "known issues". It would be great to see all of them get fixed!

At the moment, it would be great to see some kind of progress, or to at least hear that efforts are being made.

• 3DAGE3DAGE Posts: 3,311
    edited December 1969

Mr Poser :)

Try using the "Directors Camera" instead of the main camera,.
    the directors camera isn't animated, and doesn't have a production frame. so it can't go wrong. :)

You can use the Directors camera, to move around the scene, adjust the position of objects,. and find interesting shots of your scene.
    You can save these "camera positions", and set any camera to any of the saved positions at any time.

The Multi-view options are also very helpful when you#re working on a complex scene, since you can see the Top / Left / Front and any Camera view,. all at the same time,. and work in any view.

Hope it helps.

edited December 1969

OK, This thread has now been turned into a Sticky thread, and DAZ_Jared is aware of it.

• argus1000argus1000 Posts: 701
    edited December 1969

I as I don't see the point in buying things, finding out they don't work and then having to go through support to get my money back.

They don't even give you your money back anymore. They used to refund in my PayPal account. Now they just give me a credit towards further purchases.
    edited December 1969

You can ask for the money to be returned to whatever you used to buy it. So if you paid using Paypal you can request a refund to PayPal. If you paid with Store credit, then the refund will be to store credit.

Please note this thread is mean to be sticking to topic, ie listing bugs etc in C 8.5. Any posts that are deemed to be off topic may be removed.

• MadbatMadbat Posts: 382
    edited December 1969

How much will we be charged for any fixes that get done? I'm assuming nothing further will get done with C 8.5 and we'll be buying the fixes in C9.

edited December 1969

Well, we "might" get some fixes in C9, but to be honest for me to buy C9 it has to be something super special and near every bug fixed, We got stiffed on C8.5, I won't be caught out again

edited December 1969

Well, we "might" get some fixes in C9, but to be honest for me to buy C9 it has to be something super special and near every bug fixed, We got stiffed on C8.5, I won't be caught out again

Yep, I am less than pleased with C 8.5. I'll wait till C9 goes dirt cheap before I buy it. I paid for DS 4x pro, only to have them give it away a few months later. I'm not getting caught like that again.

One thing I really wish they would implement though, is an autofit, and or smoothing function.
    I imagine one could get around this by using morph transfer in daz, but I have no idea how that works.

edited December 1969

If this is going to turn into just a discussion thread then it will be unstickied again.

It was made sticky on the proviso that it was going to be a thread about things that people found that needed fixing, ie bugs etc.

edited December 1969

Then I'll mention mine again

Autofit and smoothing/collision. Genesis and G2 are barely functional without that.

• Bobeagle77Bobeagle77 Posts: 164
    edited July 2014

Hi this is Bobeagle77, I will tell you in all honesty what my issue is with Carrara Pro 8.5 .Of course this is my rookie opinion. I am new Carrara user and I can see that its pretty powerful( renders are lightning fast and beautiful) but it feels ancient compare to Daz interface look, accessibility. Carrara feels very complicated and clunky. Daz Studios is way easier to pose and I can make animation faster here. Also while playing a animation in Daz Studios it looks really good and you can even move the camera around while the animation is running. I will keep my
    Carrara Pro 8.5 in hopes that Daz makes Carrara Pro 9.0 more like Daz Studios 4.5 but with all the fancy goodies that Carrara has. I promise you that if Daz makes Carrara more user friendly. It will sell like pancake for a price range of $199-$299 range. I want Daz Studios to succeed and be in business for a very long time. I love Daz Studios products and have my own fun making art and animations.

Post edited by Bobeagle77 on
  • mrposermrposer Posts: 1,127
    edited December 1969

Thanks for the info 3DAge... I'll try using that camera

• RuphussRuphuss Posts: 2,631
    edited July 2014

Hi this is Bobeagle77, I will tell you in all honesty what my issue is with Carrara Pro 8.5 .Of course this is my rookie opinion. I am new Carrara user and I can see that its pretty powerful( renders are lightning) but it feels ancient compare to Daz interface look, accessibility. Carrara feels very complicated and clunky. Daz Studios way easier to pose and I can make animation faster here. Also while playing an animation in Daz Studios it looks really good and you can even move the camera around. I will keep my Carrara Pro 8.5 in hopes that Daz makes Carrara Pro 9.0 more like Daz Studios 4.5 but with all the goodies that Carrara has. I promise you that if Daz makes Carrara more user friendly. It will sell like pancake for a price range of $199-$299 range. I want Daz Studios to succeed and be in business for a very long time. I love Daz Studios products and have my own fun making art and animations.

+1

I would like to have the close "x" on the right side of the windows
    if I render to new window it does not fit the rendered szene
    I have always to adjust it even if there's enough space
    when I close a rendered window I do not like to always have a window pop up that asks me if I want to save

Post edited by Ruphuss on
  • evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,040
    edited December 1969

ruphuss said:
    Hi this is Bobeagle77, I will tell you in all honesty what my issue is with Carrara Pro 8.5 .Of course this is my rookie opinion. I am new Carrara user and I can see that its pretty powerful( renders are lightning) but it feels ancient compare to Daz interface look, accessibility. Carrara feels very complicated and clunky. Daz Studios way easier to pose and I can make animation faster here. Also while playing an animation in Daz Studios it looks really good and you can even move the camera around. I will keep my Carrara Pro 8.5 in hopes that Daz makes Carrara Pro 9.0 more like Daz Studios 4.5 but with all the goodies that Carrara has. I promise you that if Daz makes Carrara more user friendly. It will sell like pancake for a price range of $199-$299 range. I want Daz Studios to succeed and be in business for a very long time. I love Daz Studios products and have my own fun making art and animations.

+1

I would like to have the close "x" on the right side of the windows
    if I render to new window it does not fit the rendered szene
    I have always to adjust it even if there's enough space
    when I close a rendered window I do not like to always have a window pop up that asks me if I want to save

I like the window that pops up asking if you want to save. It's a common thing all software asks you, if you close a document that's had changes made to it since the last save. It's designed to protect you from screwing yourself over.

edited December 1969

670 views and only 30 replies? come on people if you want daz to notice the Carrara users then more of you need to post your issues, even if someone else has already posted about the issue you might be having, post anyway, we need more people posting their issues.

Would be nice for someone from daz to let use now what is happening (or not) in regards to Carrrara