BRYCE RENDER CHALLENGE ►►►Late Summer Edition◄◄◄ Theme is ­ἶἶἶἶἶἶἶἶἶἶ TREES ἶἶἶἶἶἶἶἶἶἶ

Comments

• srieschsriesch Posts: 4,241
    edited December 1969

Alas, I'm not going to be able to get an entry in this time. We should do this theme again sometime! There are some really inspiring renders in this thread so far.

StuartB4 said:
    I'm sure there were trees here last time I looked.
    It's not an entry, just a bit of fun.
    I can't get any trees to look how I want them to.

Funny render!
    If you had a bunch of specific issues, you could try starting a new thread with them, maybe we can help you step through some of them. There are probably lots of little tricks and tips people have, like using trees as branches to make a more complex tree, making sure to make the leaves slightly transparent for a more realistic look, patching rough spots with primitives, etc. Your choice of starting point may also make a difference; for example are you having trouble with the Bryce tree lab, or are you importing a tree from Xfrog or DAZ Studio, are you trying to model one from scratch, etc.
  • Miss BMiss B Posts: 3,071
    edited December 1969

chohole said:
    Entering Lothlorien

Apart from the centre tree these are all Bryce trees. (about 30 of them)

2 versions, not sure which I prefer

They're both wonderful renders Pam, but I think I have to agree with Horo that the first (golden) render is nicer. It gives the atmosphere a very ethereal feel to it.
  • TemairTemair Posts: 89
    edited December 1969

Thank you Horo
    And there are some gorgeous renders here

• JamahoneyJamahoney Posts: 1,791
    edited July 2014

Cheers, Horo

Stuart...put up a parking lot (Joni Mitchell YouTube link).

Jay

Post edited by Jamahoney on
  • Rashad CarterRashad Carter Posts: 1,799
    edited December 1969

This challenge is going really well so far! Keep up the excellent work everyone. I'm really hoping I get a chance to toss something into the ring.

One thing I will ask is how are you guys going about creating your trees? I have been thinking about starting a thread about tree modeling. Not just Bryce trees, but other applications as well.

As much as I love Bryce, it's trees are not often accurate enough to be competitive with other applications. One app in particular, NG Plant seems like it might be on par with X-Frog while being completely Open Source.

As I stated, NG Plant is Freeware and it is created by members of the Blender Community.

NG Plant is incredibly easy to use, extremely flexible because the most powerful tools are presented in clever ways. As much as I love the tree generator in Carrara....NG Plant might actually be better and is overall much simpler to use.

If anyone is interested in a thread about NG Plant please let me know.

Maybe I'll upload some of my NG Plant musings for this thread to demonstrate what it can do. I'm just currently still stuck in my palm trees mode and a simple palm tree might not be very compelling for the challenge. We shall see.

• srieschsriesch Posts: 4,241
    edited December 1969

One thing I will ask is how are you guys going about creating your trees?

I actually stockpiled a bunch of separate tree models quite a while back as I didn't feel Bryce trees were typically very good for close-ups without a lot of effort to hide sharp angles and other things, although with some creativity it can still be done. It was just easier to buy a premade tree that looks like a real tree right off the bat.
  • mtnmenmtnmen Posts: 444
    edited December 1969

Greets Rashad
    I would be very interested in a tree making tutorial.. I too, find the Bryce trees... well you said it... not accurate. For this challenge in particular, the tree lab is lacking... not that I have any great knowledge or abilities in making trees or software for it... but I do know a Giant Sequoia looks like (for my second entry ) and the Bryce Giant Sequoia is really something quite different... Perhaps this is an area that the developers could work on...
    I downloaded the NG Plant program and for the life of me I don't have any idea of how to use it... I didn't see any help/user guide that came with the download. I look forward to your tutorials.
    Steve

• HoroHoro Posts: 10,116
    edited July 2014

Bryce trees are not as bad as we think. This is because the tree shapes selected do not update the parameters. Just load the BTOs and you find much better and more natural looking trees. That's why I made this document http://www.horo.ch/docs/mine/pdf/BTO-Trees.pdf available.

I also have ngPlant but haven't had the time to investigate it in detail. At first glance, it appears to be less obvious to use than Arbaro but I'm looking forward to be proved wrong. Hopefully, the foliage are meshes and don't need transparency to cut out the form from 2D-faces.

Post edited by Horo on
    edited December 1969

Okay Horo...
    You are so right about the BTO trees and the flaw in the Tree Lab requiring the ALT key... I had downloaded your pdf and like I have done in so many cases... I skipped over the text to get to the pretty pictures...
    I just loaded a Giant Sequoia BTO for a test... and it's really pretty good... Some tweaking here and there and one can probably get what one wants... Thank you for (in my case) a kick in the pants to actually READ your pdf and not just look at the pictures..
    Steve

• mermaid010mermaid010 Posts: 4,996
    edited December 1969

Beautiful entries from everyone.

My Second entry "Altered Perspective – Larger than life."

alteredperspective.jpg
    400 x 599 - 59K
  • StuartBStuartB Posts: 596
    edited December 1969

@Sean Riesch.

Thanks for the advice and offer of help.
    I don't really use trees in my renders. I have used the Tree lab before but
    couldn't get a realistic enough looking tree, realistic for me that is.

Stuart.

edited December 1969

Lots of great entries as usual.
    Here's mine.

Trees.jpg
    577 x 699 - 372K
  • GussNemoGussNemo Posts: 1,855
    edited December 1969

@Pam: I like both images, each for different reasons. The left image looks like an early, foggy, morning. And like others have said, it has a more mystic feeling to it. The right image allows for better detail of the center tree, yet still has that foggy feel to it. If you want the mystic feel, left would be my choice. If more detail of the center tree is your goal, then the right image. I am so glad I don't have to judge these images.

@preciousmetal: That's a very beautiful scene. It makes me want to go find my coat.

@Dave: That is a lovely forest scene. Nice touch adding the deer.

@orbital: You did a very nice job focusing the eye to that center tree by using the circular opening.

@Jay: Such a tree you've got there, and really nice choice of colors.

@Stuart: In your for fun image, it appears the dozer has finished clearing that patch of ground. In your second image, it appears someone it about the rectify the situation in the first image. Love both.

@Rashad: I've tried using arbaro to create a few trees, they ended up as kindling. Most of my trees are either Bryce, now following Horo's information, or Xfrog, after again following Horo's information to fix Xfrog trees. I'll then get out the shears and render them into the shapes I want. I'd be interested in seeing something concerning tree modeling since it's an area I've not really ventured in to.

@mermaid: Neat looking scene. Love how you set the foam(?) around the island.

edited December 1969

@GussNemo -

Stuart: In your for fun image, it appears the dozer has finished clearing that patch of ground. In your second image, it appears someone it about the rectify the situation in the first image. Love both.

Thanks GussNemo, I think I'm gonna need a bigger cart.

• mermaid010mermaid010 Posts: 4,996
    edited July 2014

Guss- Thanks. The island I did a long time ago, using a tutorial when I was learning Bryce 5.5 unfortunately after a few months I gave up on Bryce out of frustration, fortunately I still have now trials and errors and used the island for this challenge. :)

Post edited by mermaid010 on
  • Yellow PenYellow Pen Posts: 918
    edited December 1969

WOW....I wasn't here for a time, many beautiful Scenes you all have made.
    And I love the Ideas you had.... really beautiful.

Good luck to you all :-)

edited December 1969

My second entry: A Drive Through the Giant Redwoods
    The famous drive-through tree, The Wawona Tree, was a Giant Sequoia in Yosemite National Park. It fell over in 1969 under a heavy snowfall.

The redwood trunks I modeled in Hexagon. I was unable to boolean cut the tunnel in Hexagon for some reason... it kept crashing. However in Bryce there was no problem. The characters are Poser's James casual and Simon casual. I was unable to find the authorship of the Mini Cooper convertible. The trees in the forest are made up of 3 XFrog trees and Bryce object preset evergreen.

There sure have been lots of great entries here.. Very exciting to see the different approaches... It's almost as mind expanding as the 60's & 70's.
    Steve

A_Drive_Through_the_Giant_Redwoods.jpg
    960 x 720 - 716K
    edited July 2014

StuartB4 said:
    Lots of great entries as usual.
    Here's mine.

Well now, that's definitely thinking "outside the box". Nicely done Stuart.

A really nice collection of renders from everyone this month. :coolsmile:

Post edited by Miss B on
    edited December 1969

Thanks very much Miss B. :)

• Tim82Tim82 Posts: 858
    edited December 1969

wow...im still seeing some awesome renders nice work to everyone who has posted :)

edited December 1969

@mtnmen: Nice scene.

edited July 2014

@StuartB ... Very clever... both images... The shopping cart full of potted trees looks just like my recent trip to Home Depot.. Fun!
    Thanks GussNemo...
    Steve

Post edited by mtnmen on
    edited December 1969

Thanks very much mtnmen.

edited December 1969

I really like these challenges, people seem to bring out the big guns for these.
    Some really nice renders in terms of quality and imagination.
    I have a few favorites but I'm keeping quite about them. :-)

edited December 1969

StuartB4 said:
    I really like these challenges, people seem to bring out the big guns for these.
    Some really nice renders in terms of quality and imagination.
    I have a few favorites but I'm keeping quite about them. :-)

You'll have to let us know once the winners are announced. :coolsmirk:
  • HoroHoro Posts: 10,116
    edited December 1969

@mermaid010 - that tiny island with the big tree looks very nice.

@StuartB4 - just great, I took it for a photograph at first, the shoping cart with the trees.

@mtnmen - great idea with the Sequoia.

edited December 1969

@Miss B.
    Ok.

@Horo.
    Thanks very much.

edited December 1969

Been on the missing list, but great works since last logged back. Below, final entry...oh, and don't take the title too literally (brrerrr...it was cold, though exhilirating ;) ).

Title: 'Sometimes I run naked in woods'.

Jay

SometimesIRunNakedInWoods.jpg
    1300 x 649 - 1M
    edited December 1969

@Jay: Nice third entry.

edited August 2014

Cheers, Guss...I think the title was more riskier than the image...heh he ;)

Like your own, too - it's good to get the third entry finally in, isn't it - I found this theme the hardest of all. Still, it pushes us into areas of exploration with Bryce - some things learned, some not.

Jay

Post edited by Jamahoney on