Announcing The Platinum Club Plus [Beta] Program

Comments

• SuperdogSuperdog Posts: 765
    edited December 1969

You're forgetting the 30% intro discount that would apply to the new PC releases.

But yes, prices are (slightly) increased. 1.99 isn't viable, and this is an attempt at easing that. Giving with one hand and taking with another was used earlier.. which I guess is kinda true..but it's better than just taking with both hands ;)

I'm not sure I understand that. To my knowledge DAZ has always offered PC items at $1.99 at least for the last two years since I joined. So why now is this uneconomical? Since I've been a member the sales have become increasingly more complex, more frequent and with more restrictions. This reminds me of those marketing campaigns where you're offered "free" or discounted products only to find you have to follow complicated rules or pay hidden charges to take advantage of them. If PC is made too complicated then members will get disillusioned and leave. When improving a service the usual aim is to streamline rather than complicate.

• Daz Jack TomalinDaz Jack Tomalin Posts: 13,120
    edited December 1969

Barubary said:
    while I'm not really convinced, the changes do sound at least interesting.

Don' think I'm gonna join the beta, though.

If a beta is like sailing to an unexplored land, then a DAZ beta must be like sailing to an unexplored land in boat that's held together with duct tape and string. And on fire.

It's easy to have a dig at DAZ, given the history.. but I think we need to be allowed to try things like this. I don't want to be part of something where we're too frightened to change, adapt and ultimately try to make things better...and by better, I also mean more sustainable and viable for everyone involved.

• AdemnusAdemnus Posts: 744
    edited December 1969

You're forgetting the 30% intro discount that would apply to the new PC releases.

But yes, prices are (slightly) increased. 1.99 isn't viable, and this is an attempt at easing that. Giving with one hand and taking with another was used earlier.. which I guess is kinda true..but it's better than just taking with both hands ;)

I'm not seeing it.

I already get discounts on new releases. In fact, all I see is that now with the new PC+ my prices on PC items goes *up*. It looks like I'll be doing PC+ just to keep what I already get and lose the bigger discount on PC items.

I'd be very careful with this guys. I feel like it's just going to upset the apple cart.

I need to see something significant in the plus column, and I don't see it right now.

I totally understand you want to make more money, that's what businesses do. I know I'm going to sound bad but if you upped the standards of quality (because some items lately have been pretty low Q) and ditch the unending sea of skimp wear, naughty schoolgirl outfits and highly specialized genres your catalog doesnt support and instead go back to basics like DAZ was long ago where versatility was king you might find sales would rise. I spend about a grand every year in the march madness sales -except this year I spent about 200 bucks because there was so little of value to me. Anyway, that's my 2 cents, and if you want more elaborate feedback I'd be happy to oblige.

But this PC+ smacks of more money/ less benefit and, as I say, unless something significant shows in the plus column, I just dont see the need.

edited December 1969

Superdog said:

I'm not sure I understand that. To my knowledge DAZ has always offered PC items at $1.99 at least for the last two years since I joined. So why now is this uneconomical? Since I've been a member the sales have become increasingly more complex, more frequent and with more restrictions. This reminds me of those marketing campaigns where you're offered "free" or discounted products only to find you have to follow complicated rules or pay hidden charges to take advantage of them. If PC is made too complicated then members will get disillusioned and leave. When improving a service the usual aim is to streamline rather than complicate.

DAZ has offered items for 1.99 since the inception of the PC over 10 years ago. I'm not saying it's suddenly uneconomical - it's been an issue for a long time, and becoming moreso as time goes on.

The issue with things like this, which can be perceived as big changes is the timing has to right, and there are a lot of things we've had to plan, discuss, consider etc. It's been on the table for months - so isn't something we've done lightly.

Personally, I think changing to a % *is* streamlining it. We move from a fix cost to something that is flexible and opens up a lot more avenues in terms of what content we could potentially acquire. We then move more inline with the main store, and the marketing opportunities it opens up (things like intro discounts, which we've never had before).

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

I have always been amazed that the PC club is the same price now as it was when I first joined in 2002. I also have been amazed that the people who run the PC have been able to continue running it at those same prices and break even, let alone make any money from it.

• bad4ubad4u Posts: 684
    edited August 2014

Post edited by bad4u on
  • scorpioscorpio Posts: 8,312
    edited December 1969

I do understand you need to increase prices, I'd support that but this - no as sgreco1970 says we actually seem to be losing out you aren't really offering as a benefit, as you say Jack its flexible and that means prices can be increased at any time, the store runs almost constant sales for everyone - what makes the PC special a couple of coupons that have various confusing restrictions.
    What the PC was about for me was access to low priced (fixed), if I needed an item the first place I looked was the PC - that won't be the case because it probable won't be a price I can afford on a whim.
    I had no intention of renewing my Prime at renderosity, now I will have to reconsider.

edited December 1969

bad4u said:
    1. Maybe I'm wrong, but this does NOT look like DAZ plans an optional PC+ membership, more a replacement in the long run, even if it's optional NOW. That would be a NO-GO for me then.

2. If you want to install a PC+ membership, then why not give us a real PLUS ? Keep the current PC membership as it is and add a more expensive one for "power users" with additional features like 30% on DO AND PA catalogs. Shouldn't be that hard with Magento to find a way to implement, but keep rules simple please.

3. DAZ took all the fun out of buying with all these stupid and unneccessary complicated sales and additional rules, especially buy this and that and at least another one and some more and you will get another discount on a new yet unreleased item that we will not even show you before and maybe you get something more that we won't tell now and whatever and new PC+ rules are prefectly in that line. All that made me reduce my regular spendings from few hundred $ during large sales to a few bucks for non-sale but otherwise discounted items during those crap going on -> not even ONE punch during last sale. Give the fun back, make it easy again, keep it simple. Want someone to visit daily AND buy new items on release ? Think about simple rules like 50% the first day, 40% second day, 30% rest of intro discount time or something like that. It could be that easy.

Meanwhile I'm spending lots of my money elsewhere.

Plain and simple, the PC needs to change. How we get there is anyones guess, and this is a first go (a best guess if you may).

I think adding in tiered membership could actually cause confusion among members (like people asking why don't I get this benefit, that benefit) but that said, it could be an option if it was clearly defined... :)

• DaikatanaDaikatana Posts: 827
    edited December 1969

Speaking as a hobbyist, the Platinum Club + as it is currently presented is NOT a viable option for me. Under the current platinum club plan, I have a VERY good incentive to log in every day and when I do, I very often spend a where from $2-$8 on impulse buys. I also buy non Platinum Club items when something comes out that I want. BUT a much larger proportion of what I spend comes from those $1.99 and $2.99 items. They are priced low enough that I can justify the impulse buy. If the Platinum Club + plan that is being presented goes into effect, I won't be making those impulse buys ANYWHERE nearly as often . This means that DAZ will actually be getting LESS money from me. Not exactly a positive outcome for either myself as a hobbyist or DAZ as a company now is it?

Seriously, do not implement this plan. It's just going to result in the loss of revenues and send otherwise loyal customers away.

edited December 1969

I do understand you need to increase prices, I'd support that but this - no as sgreco1970 says we actually seem to be losing out you aren't really offering as a benefit, as you say Jack its flexible and that means prices can be increased at any time, the store runs almost constant sales for everyone - what makes the PC special a couple of coupons that have various confusing restrictions.
    What the PC was about for me was access to low priced (fixed), if I needed an item the first place I looked was the PC - that won't be the case because it probable won't be a price I can afford on a whim.
    I had no intention of renewing my Prime at renderosity, now I will have to reconsider.

Well no matter what, the PC will *always* have the lowest priced content in the store. Ok, it might not be historically as low as 1.99 (more around $3.50).. but the cost of procuring content has gone up.. it's not simply about DAZ wanting to make more money.

• Cliff BowmanCliff Bowman Posts: 1,677
    edited December 1969

Well no matter what, the PC will *always* have the lowest priced content in the store. Ok, it might not be historically as low as 1.99 (more around $3.50).. but the cost of procuring content has gone up..

The cost of almost EVERYTHING has gone up! I remember when the Platinum Club first started... and getting some of those products for $1.99 seemed crazy.

That the PC is still trying to offer items at $1.99 some ten years later boggles the mind. Well, it boggles MY mind (but my mind might be more boggleable than most).

Cheers,

Cliff

edited December 1969

Well no matter what, the PC will *always* have the lowest priced content in the store. Ok, it might not be historically as low as 1.99 (more around $3.50).. but the cost of procuring content has gone up..

The cost of almost EVERYTHING has gone up! I remember when the Platinum Club first started... and getting some of those products for $1.99 seemed crazy.

That the PC is still trying to offer items at $1.99 some ten years later boggles the mind. Well, it boggles MY mind (but my mind might be more boggleable than most).

Cheers,

Cliff

Exactly, let alone the fact that we actually dropped the sign-up fee too..!

edited December 1969

I'm not seeing it.

I already get discounts on new releases. In fact, all I see is that now with the new PC+ my prices on PC items goes *up*. It looks like I'll be doing PC+ just to keep what I already get and lose the bigger discount on PC items.

I'd be very careful with this guys. I feel like it's just going to upset the apple cart.

I need to see something significant in the plus column, and I don't see it right now.

I totally understand you want to make more money, that's what businesses do. I know I'm going to sound bad but if you upped the standards of quality (because some items lately have been pretty low Q) and ditch the unending sea of skimp wear, naughty schoolgirl outfits and highly specialized genres your catalog doesnt support and instead go back to basics like DAZ was long ago where versatility was king you might find sales would rise. I spend about a grand every year in the march madness sales -except this year I spent about 200 bucks because there was so little of value to me. Anyway, that's my 2 cents, and if you want more elaborate feedback I'd be happy to oblige.

But this PC+ smacks of more money/ less benefit and, as I say, unless something significant shows in the plus column, I just dont see the need.

The effect on sales of the kind of products DAZ offers is a very good point. Maybe skimp wear sells like hot cakes but I rarely ever buy clothes for Vicky because many seem completely bizarre. When trying to create realistic scenes that kind of clothing doesn't help. Then there's the lack of regular clothing (as opposed to costumes) for Mike.

I wanted to buy 80's crimped hair but there's no product like that available yet there are endless permutations of very similar hair styles available. There must be dozens of "basements", "houses" and "living rooms" but how about a recording studio, concert hall or cinema? Endless perfectly youthful but artificial looking Vickys but very few older female (or male) characters. Don't get me wrong, DAZ has some great models and PA's but the trend is to release similar or overlapping products. In such a saturated market there needs to be something different to stimulate interest.

Perhaps DAZ needs to look towards making its models much more compatible with other software to generate more customers? If DAZ worked with OTOY to integrate the Octane Render plugin at a lower cost then maybe more people would be attracted to the faster, better quality renders this would offer. Integrating an ecosystem plugin to generate environments like VUE might attract more customers. Better animation features and controls would also raise its profile. Releasing new figure generations is one strategy to increase sales but if the software associated with this hasn't developed very much since the last generation then that doesn't help.

edited June 2014

Superdog said:
    If DAZ worked with OTOY to integrate the Octane Render plugin at a lower cost then maybe more people would be attracted to the faster, better quality renders this would offer.

Like https://render.otoy.com/shop/DAZ_Studio_plugin.php ?

Post edited by Daz Jack Tomalin on
  • Sfariah DSfariah D Posts: 25,689
    edited December 1969

Hmmmm interesting idea. So no way to opt out once opt in. Let me get this straightcoupon can be used on pc items but what about the pa items, that part is confusing me.

• TimbalesTimbales Posts: 2,248
    edited December 1969

I've read through it and I understand the pros and cons of the PC+ concept.

I do have a concern, though. I'm a paid PC member through August of 2015 (because I took advantage of offers and have been a Daz user for a very long time.) I'm concerned that after the Beta, changes will be made that will either raise the price of my membership or will no longer have value. I have a lot of Daz stuff and sometimes it can be a struggle to find something that's eligible for my PC voucher as it is.

I'll think about this some more and maybe check out the Beta. Doesn't seem like there is anything to lose at this point.

edited December 1969

Hmmmm interesting idea. So no way to opt out once opt in. Let me get this straightcoupon can be used on pc items but what about the pa items, that part is confusing me.

There are two coupons, one for DAZ originals, inc back-catalogue PC items. The second coupon is for a purchase of $18 or more on any item by any artist (excludes new releases, gift card, and memberships).

edited December 1969

TimG said:
    I've read through it and I understand the pros and cons of the PC+ concept.

I do have a concern, though. I'm a paid PC member through August of 2015 (because I took advantage of offers and have been a Daz user for a very long time.) I'm concerned that after the Beta, changes will be made that will either raise the price of my membership or will no longer have value. I have a lot of Daz stuff and sometimes it can be a struggle to find something that's eligible for my PC voucher as it is.

I'll think about this some more and maybe check out the Beta. Doesn't seem like there is anything to lose at this point.

Any changes will be notified of in advance, and accommodate people with extended membership periods. But really, I wouldn't worry about that just yet, nothing imminent is happening.

edited December 1969

And just to be really clear - if the data at the end of beta means that the PC remains as-is.. then so be it.. however that might have it's own set of consequences. So yea, just have to sit and see how it all plays out :)

• ZelrothZelroth Posts: 910
    edited December 1969

I will admit that at this point I have not read all of the pages, simply don't have time this morning. If I had a fair amount of spending money, I would find the beta a really nice temptation, especially with rawart and stonemason being among the current discounted PAs. But my fundage often isn't flexible enough to allow me to purchase many non PC items, especially if there is a new Big item coming out (such as Dragon 3 or Aiko 6). Right now, I purchase most of the PC items. With this new PC plus plan, I can see the number of PC items I purchase dropping significantly. Before I opt in, I will have to review the past month or two of spending and see just how it would have changed. Right now, the changes are not enticing enough considering what I would be losing. I do agree that we have been getting some really good deals on the PC items, but not having a guaranteed 1.99 price, even on one item, may cause me to really double think many of my purchases.

Like I said, this is basically without reading and researching my previous purchases, and only knowing about this change for 30 minutes.

edited June 2014

Superdog said:
    If DAZ worked with OTOY to integrate the Octane Render plugin at a lower cost then maybe more people would be attracted to the faster, better quality renders this would offer.

I own it and it's great but it's developed by one person and, as far as I'm aware, with no input or support from DAZ. OR is becoming a standard and with v2 it has advanced incredibly unlike DS. Likewise support for and integration with Lightwave and other software is limited at best. If DAZ wants more customers it needs to reach out instead of relying primarily on customers using its relatively closed and rather dated software. I love using DS but that's in spite of its limitations.

Even though DS is free that's not an excuse for it not developing significantly. If necessary charge for new features in the same way that plugins must be bought.

Post edited by Superdog on
    edited December 1969

Superdog said:
    Superdog said:

I own it and it's great but it's developed by one person and, as far as I'm aware, with no input or support from DAZ. OR is becoming a standard and with v2 it has advanced incredibly unlike DS. Likewise support for and integration with Lightwave and other software is limited at best. If DAZ wants more customers it needs to reach out instead of relying primarily on customers using its relatively closed and rather dated software. I love using DS but that's in spite of its limitations.

Even though DS is free that's not an excuse for it not developing significantly. If necessary charge for new features in the same way that plugins must be bought.

While I don't want to get too much into it, given the comments in this thread I would think the reaction to increasing the cost (from free) would be met with a certain amount of 'resistance' :D

• BeeMKayBeeMKay Posts: 6,987
    edited June 2014

So... after thinking about the new PC rules, and reading the discussion so far, here are my thoughts:
    What I like about the new rules:
    * I get an additional $6 voucher to spend on PA-content. Granted, I can't use it on new content, and need a minimum of $18 in my cart, but if I combine it with the fact that the shop of the one or other PA will be on sale every once so often, it's a good thing. Most new itens are above the $18 mark anyway, today.
    * I can use my PC-coupon on PC-discounted items. This means that I get items for free which currently don't qualify for the coupon (and all items who cost a regular price of $20 will go down to $6 with the PC discount of 70% applying. With lower regular prices, I can fit several items into the $6 voucer price.).
    * The idea of the PC club adding a new range of items to the portfolio. :-) With the initial discount being at 79%, this puts even a $50 item in the price range of $10.50.
    * The thought that the PAs will benefit from more income earned by this model. I hope. :-)
    * Still 5 free items per month!

What I don't like about the idea:
    * The fact that I won't have many tempting $1.99 items coming out every week. And the $2.99 will be gone, too. With an new average price for PC-items in the middle $5-range, I will do less impulse-buying, for sure, and it makes other competitor's Club schemes look attractive, too.
    * With the DAZ shop having the tendancy to botch up on the % sales, have to keep my calculator ready even more often to check the price, i.e. if it's some stacking up happening.... :roll:

Overall, I think it's worth that I check it out for the next month, and see how my spending goes. My budget for 3D won't change (rather get smaller than the other way around), so I see if I benefit from the new model as much as I did from the old one, or maybe even more.
    But this is just my own, personal opinion about the topic.

Post edited by BeeMKay on
  • anikadanikad Posts: 1,919
    edited December 1969

If $1.99 is uneconomical then put the prices up. It's not rocket science. On the other hand this new PC Beta thing seems to be. It's far too complicated for me. I would prefer if the PC item was put up. That way I could budget easier. These days I only ever buy PC items when on sale so the coupon would be of limited use to me.

• icprncssicprncss Posts: 3,694
    edited December 1969

Another of the how complicated can we make this so we confuse as many as we can while convincing them to go along with it while we change the rules.

Lately, there have been the increasing number of promos with the fine print to the effect of "you buy it, you're stuck with it". Now we're back to the PC pricing issue.

Maybe if DAZ hadn't played so many games back when they introduced the value category, I wouldn't be so defensive right now. Maybe instead of all the "try to guess which products will become value products and which will not" nonsense, DAZ had simply come out, stated that as of X date all new PC items would be $2.99 and leave it at that things would have gone better. Yes, there still would have been crying and complaining. There will always be crying and complaining. No matter what is done, someone won't like it.

The PC Plus is of no interest to me. I don't care a whit about coupons (most of which either are useless or have too many strings attached). Whoopee, I might get discounts of PA's stores. Doesn't do me any good if they don't have anything in their store I want.

The whole point of the PC from the beginning was that I could purchase any item in the PC catalog for $1.99 at any time. Meaning if I discovered I needed a prop at 3AM EST, I could log on go to the PC and search to see if they has something suitable. 9 times out of 10 I could find something.

Of course, I'm not naive. This is a beta. DAZ can make all kinds of promises during this brief beta period. But that's no guarantee what you are seeing in the beta will be in the final product. As for PA's, I doubt all PA's will participate. It will be like the promo's. Only certain PA's that show up time after time.

• JohnDelaquioxJohnDelaquiox Posts: 1,184
    edited December 1969

I have barely used my PC membership over the last few months, Now with Rawart, StoneMason and Ant farm. Some Vendors that I buy the most stuff from. I may start using it again.

edited June 2014

Superdog said:
    Superdog said:

While I don't want to get too much into it, given the comments in this thread I would think the reaction to increasing the cost (from free) would be met with a certain amount of 'resistance' :D

Perhaps but maybe not if the focus was on quality not quantity. An ecosystem might stimulate new customers eager for products that could be used with it. Better integration with other software might encourage their customers to buy DAZ models. Features like bullet dynamics might also stimulate a range of new products. Call these features, modules, plugins or what you will but they could help cultivate new customers and enthuse many of us who already use DS.

If DAZ was the first to integrate Octane Render into it's software imagine how that might attract a new generation of customers who appreciate free or cheap (let's face it DS is not "free" once you buy all the extras) software that can produce renders that are almost comparable to high end software.

DAZ is obviously trying to increase revenue but tweaking PC isn't really the answer imo. Maybe in the short term it is but I think the problem has arisen not so much because PC items have been priced too low but because DS hasn't advanced enough to stimulate new areas of growth. I really hope that will be addressed. Unlike other content sites DAZ has DS which it should make the most of by developing it a lot more or teaming up with 3rd party developers who might improve it.

Post edited by Superdog on
    edited December 1969

icprncss said:
    Another of the how complicated can we make this so we confuse as many as we can while convincing them to go along with it while we change the rules.

Lately, there have been the increasing number of promos with the fine print to the effect of "you buy it, you're stuck with it". Now we're back to the PC pricing issue.

Maybe if DAZ hadn't played so many games back when they introduced the value category, I wouldn't be so defensive right now. Maybe instead of all the "try to guess which products will become value products and which will not" nonsense, DAZ had simply come out, stated that as of X date all new PC items would be $2.99 and leave it at that things would have gone better. Yes, there still would have been crying and complaining. There will always be crying and complaining. No matter what is done, someone won't like it.

The PC Plus is of no interest to me. I don't care a whit about coupons (most of which either are useless or have too many strings attached). Whoopee, I might get discounts of PA's stores. Doesn't do me any good if they don't have anything in their store I want.

The whole point of the PC from the beginning was that I could purchase any item in the PC catalog for $1.99 at any time. Meaning if I discovered I needed a prop at 3AM EST, I could log on go to the PC and search to see if they has something suitable. 9 times out of 10 I could find something.

Of course, I'm not naive. This is a beta. DAZ can make all kinds of promises during this brief beta period. But that's no guarantee what you are seeing in the beta will be in the final product. As for PA's, I doubt all PA's will participate. It will be like the promo's. Only certain PA's that show up time after time.

Just upping the price to say 2.99 still doesn't solve the issue of all items being the same price however.

• bighbigh Posts: 8,147
    edited December 1969

so lets see - you want me to pay more
    then the prices go up
    and I have to spend more to use a coupon

to me you would be nuts to do it !

edited December 1969

bigh said:
    so lets see - you want me to pay more
    then the prices go up
    and I have to spend more to use a coupon

to me you would be nuts to do it !

Pay more then the prices go up? No, the membership price remains the same.

This discussion has been closed.