LUXUS for Carrara question

Comments

• JoepingletonJoepingleton Posts: 746
    edited December 1969

dustrider said:
    joeping said:
    Thanks for the tips and feedback.
    Here is a revised car image with the the reflection and shininess upped a bit. I like it better, but feel I am still missing something.

This may help with perfecting your car paint shaders
    http://www.luxrender.net/wiki/LuxRender_Materials_CarPaint

Thanks for the link, I saw the car paint option but didn't understand it so I went with metal. Now I need to reconsider that shader :)

• evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,040
    edited December 1969

SLoTH_XVX said:
    I am just getting back to rendering after several years off...mostly due to a poor computer that was falling way behind the times and would not allow me to create as I wanted to...but also due other parts of life taking priority. I investing in a reasonable system and am revisiting some of my old Cararra scenes and cooking them through Luxus. WOW, what a difference, a difference in finished renders on the good side...but also a difference in cook time too. So far I will take the slower cook time for the results.

This is my first re-look at a scene of mine. The first image is the one cooked (and tweaked) with Luxus and the second is the original straight through Carrara.

Very nice work. I will say, that I prefer the second image to the first one, strange as that may seem. ;-)

• IamArtistXIamArtistX Posts: 119
    edited June 2014

joeping said:
    After seeing some of the images in this thread I was going to try and make something, but after the issues I have had with Carrara and some of the Genesis figures and clothing, crashing Carrara to the desktop, I am not as inspired as I once was, maybe I should stick to V4/M4 for characters in future

Out of curiosity, what problems have you had with Genesis in Carrara? I have only been using Genesis with Carrara. I haven't tried Genesis 2 yet.

Haven't really tried the Gen 5 stuff, not that I use characters in my images, normally I just do scenes, although I did just finish something with V4 in it, only used her as I knew it would work, no need to sacrifice any animals or visit to the local witch doctor to get it to work :P

Post edited by IamArtistX on
    edited December 1969

Is there any way to do a sky in LUXUS?

• IamArtistXIamArtistX Posts: 119
    edited December 1969

if you select sky/sun2, you will get a blue sky, but i havent figured out how to do clouds in it yet

edited June 2014

Thanks for the tip on creating a sky. I couldn't figure out how to make any clouds so I tried something different.

This is another experiment with Carrara 8.5 Pro using "Neglected for A Bright Loft" from Bluebird 3D and LUXUS for Carrara to render. This time I played with the Luxus for Carrara Resource Pack to create a dust cloud.

Click here to view the stereoscopic 3D version at 3dLive

loft07b_lux.jpg
    960 x 540 - 109K
    Post edited by Joepingleton on
    edited June 2014

This is another experiment with Carrara 8.5 Pro using LUXUS for Carrara to render. This time I played with adding a Daz Skeleton and Daz Anatomy to a genesis figure. Then I placed a mesh light behind the figure to see how it handled sub surface scattering.

subsurface01_LUX.jpg
    540 x 619 - 65K
  • AquilaAquila Posts: 19
    edited December 1969

Looks great, could you tell me the settings you used for the SSS cheers

edited December 1969

Thanks
    The skin settings are the values from Jonstark’s great thread [ http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/29998/ ].

edited December 1969

Thanks buddy but did you use the volume to create the SSS?

edited December 1969

I didn't use any volume, my absorption color for the skin was his revised color R-0 G-4 B-9. That seems to give the best results. I am just going by his settings and experiments. =)

I even used his skin settings on the internal organs. I was a little disappointing that we couldn't see them under the skin, just the skeleton shows. But you really don't see them in real life, so that is to be expected.

edited December 1969

Ahh gotcha... I've used volumes but get undesirable effects in other areas like eye lashes, which I cant seem to get around??

edited December 1969

That interesting because I got some really weird results on the head, so I cropped it off.

edited December 1969

Heres an example. Quick dirty render but you get the idea. (volume only added to the 'Torso')

luxout.jpg
    565 x 800 - 129K
    edited June 2014

Very cool stuff. How are you adding the volume?

This is another experiment with Carrara 8.5 Pro using LUXUS for Carrara to render. This time I played more with adding a Daz Skeleton to two genesis figures and a mesh light behind the figures to see how they handled sub surface scattering.

subsurface02_LUX.jpg
    960 x 540 - 124K
  • DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,224
    edited December 1969

Cool experiment!
    I was just commenting in another thread, how much functionality is added to Carrara when adding a single DCG plugin. Shader Ops 2's Light Mangler has some fun benefits for Subsurface Scattering that I've been wanting to play with, but just haven't yet. Here's a cool little tutorial that shows a simple setup for that, which is such a small part of what Shader Ops 2 adds. I wonder if I had a few clones, if that would actually save me some time, or if I'd spend too much time argiung with myself... I certainly need to find more C time!

edited December 1969

Very cool shader, it seems like there is always something more to play with.

I think I may have some really old versions of those dcg plug ins. I remember playing with Cognito, Anything grooves and Anything Grows back in carrara 5. Those versions probably won't work with carrara 8.5. Or my version of vector style 1, I used to use that a lot.

edited June 2014

joeping said:
    Very cool stuff. How are you adding the volume?

This is another experiment with Carrara 8.5 Pro using LUXUS for Carrara to render. This time I played more with adding a Daz Skeleton to two genesis figures and a mesh light behind the figures to see how they handled sub surface scattering.

Volume is by adding a 'Lux Homogenous' volume to the 'interior' of the shader (image attached) but like the previous image shows I get problems with the eye lashes.

Great image btw, Have you tried adding a colour to the 'Transmission' channel to give a more red sss effect?

Untitled-2.jpg
    854 x 899 - 115K
    Post edited by Aquila on
  • wetcircuitwetcircuit Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

joeping said:

I think I may have some really old versions of those dcg plug ins. I remember playing with Cognito, Anything grooves and Anything Grows back in carrara 5. Those versions probably won't work with carrara 8.5. Or my version of vector style 1, I used to use that a lot.

If you have the license# you can update them for free.

Dart, playing with Light Mangler is so NOT what I am suppose to be doing today... Thanks! :D

Screen_Shot_2014-06-27_at_11.03_.08_AM_.png
    638 x 477 - 135K
    edited December 1969

Thanks for the info Aquila77, I'll have to give it a try. I might have removed too much red when I color corrected :)

Very cool Image Holly.
    I'll have to see if I can find the serial numbers (I am starting to think it may have been Carrara 4 or older, since I skipped from that version to 8.5)

edited December 1969

Has anyone got LUXUS for Carrara to work with SmallLuxGPU? SLG works great with Reality 2 in DAZ Studio, but I can't seem to get it to work with Carrara.

I tried setting the renderer to "slg" and pointing it to the folder I used in Reality 2. But I get the error messgae " Error: 14] Static loading of renderer 'slg' failed."
    Am I missing something?

edited December 1969

I've used it before by just changing to 'slg' in the renderer, but the SLGRenderer only supports Matte, Mirror, Glass, Glass2, Metal, MatteTranslucent, Null, Mix, Glossy2, Metal2 and RoughGlass materials

edited December 1969

Thanks for the tip, It must be the textures causing the error. I'll need to make some more experiments to try it out.

This is another experiment with Carrara 8.5 Pro using LUXUS for Carrara to render. This time I played with DarioFish - HFS Shapes for Genesis and his skin texture converted to glossy translucent LUX shaders. I also ised the surface replicator to make a bunch more of them.
    Thanks for looking.

subsurface03_LUX.jpg
    540 x 800 - 186K
    edited December 1969

joeping said:

If you have the license# you can update them for free.

Dart, playing with Light Mangler is so NOT what I am suppose to be doing today... Thanks! :D

Sorry, Holly!
    But Look what your misbehaving has achieved! :)

edited December 1969

joeping said:
    Thanks for the tip, It must be the textures causing the error. I'll need to make some more experiments to try it out.

This is another experiment with Carrara 8.5 Pro using LUXUS for Carrara to render. This time I played with DarioFish - HFS Shapes for Genesis and his skin texture converted to glossy translucent LUX shaders. I also ised the surface replicator to make a bunch more of them.
    Thanks for looking.

Very cool render!
    edited June 2014

Thanks Dartanbeck

This is another experiment with Carrara 8.5 Pro using Opus Magnum and LUXUS for Carrara to render. This time I played with the mirror LUXUS shader to get a wider view of the scene.

subsurface04_LUX.jpg
    540 x 960 - 187K
    edited December 1969

joeping said:
    Thanks Dartanbeck

This is another experiment with Carrara 8.5 Pro using Opus Magnum and LUXUS for Carrara to render. This time I played with the mirror LUXUS shader to get a wider view of the scene.

Neat perspective, but the SSS on the hand is bit much I think.

edited December 1969

joeping said:
    Thanks Dartanbeck

Very, Very Cool Render, my friend! Very, Very cool!
    edited December 1969

Thanks Evilproducer and Dartanbeck,
    Sometimes you stumble on an interesting perspective by just playing around.

The hand bugs the heck out of me. I used a figure from my other experiments with all the same settings and yet it appears very different in this render. None of the texture shows up and the sss looks very different. I guess it's the lighting that causes this, as I let this render over night (much longer than my other experiments). More experiments are needed.

edited December 1969

joeping said:
    Thanks Evilproducer and Dartanbeck,
    Sometimes you stumble on an interesting perspective by just playing around.

The hand bugs the heck out of me. I used a figure from my other experiments with all the same settings and yet it appears very different in this render. None of the texture shows up and the sss looks very different. I guess it's the lighting that causes this, as I let this render over night (much longer than my other experiments). More experiments are needed.

It's good to know that even with these fancy non-biased renderers, it's still more complicated than just a, "Make Art" button. ;-) Not that that is what you do Joe. I mean it still requires forethought, planning and learning on many different levels.