3D Model Master Training - Is it worth it?

1235»

Comments

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,099
    edited December 1969

Jay_NOLA said:
    For Carrara modeling the old book the Carrara 5 Pro Handbook by Mike de la Flor was a huge help for me to learn how to model. It has several modeling projects in it. Two of the modeling projects in it are for Hexagon too. It doesn't cover some other things about Carrara that I would have like it too., but for basic modeling it was top notch.

Lighting is going to be what you want to learn first before moving into modeling. I highly recommend you get a copy Digital Lighting and Rendering (2nd Edition) , by Jeremy Birn it will save you a lot of headaches and teach you all about 3D lighting and what you want to know to get good lighting regardless of what program you use. This is the single best instructional I've seen on lighting and is a must have item.

He also has some stuff on his website that is helpful to a beginner to 3D too.

http://www.3drender.com

Found it - way back on the first page of this thread!
    Carrara 5 Pro Handbook by Mike de la Flo and Digital Lighting and Rendering (2nd Edition) , by Jeremy Birn
    Thanks Jay!
    I'm off to Amazon!
  • PhilWPhilW Posts: 5,139
    edited December 1969

Szark said:
    PhilW said:
    Szark said:
    Not far at all as the crow flys. Home of the St Ledger and in short walking distance of the racetrack itself.

Ah, sunny Donnie! If you like your music, you should look up the Classic Rock Society and the gigs they put on near Rotherham - well worth a trip!

Sorry Phil darn notifications. Thanks for that but I don't get out much these days though I wish I did. :)Don't you think it would be a blast, hanging out with Phil Wilkes?!!!

I do it all the time! Maybe it wouldn't be as much fun as you'd think? Or maybe it would...

edited December 1969

Tee hee hee...
    Check it out - and you can still get a New copy through Amazon!

Carrara_1_Bible_cover.jpg
    300 x 300 - 26K
  • GarstorGarstor Posts: 1,411
    edited December 1969

Tee hee hee... Check it out - and you can still get a New copy through Amazon!

Rumour has it that version 2 is nearly ready! %-P

Honestly - I recently thought that Carrara 8 deserved its own book...I let myself briefly fantasize that it would be group-written by many of the fine folks here in the forums.

edited December 1969

PhilW said:
    Don't you think it would be a blast, hanging out with Phil Wilkes?!!!

I do it all the time! Maybe it wouldn't be as much fun as you'd think? Or maybe it would...

:lol: I'm betting it would be a blast of ray-tracing mayhem if too many of us gathered into one location on the planet. We're spread out around the earth for a reason -- the universe couldn't handle the imbalance otherwise!

• tsaristtsarist Posts: 1,606
    edited December 1969

Garstor said:
    Tee hee hee... Check it out - and you can still get a New copy through Amazon!

Rumour has it that version 2 is nearly ready! %-P

Honestly - I recently thought that Carrara 8 deserved its own book...I let myself briefly fantasize that it would be group-written by many of the fine folks here in the forums.
    A Proper book would be nice to have.
    I had always hoped they'd make one. Now, I'm just grateful for a pdf.

edited December 1969

Garstor said:
    PhilW said:
    Don't you think it would be a blast, hanging out with Phil Wilkes?!!!

:lol: I'm betting it would be a blast of ray-tracing mayhem if too many of us gathered into one location on the planet. We're spread out around the earth for a reason -- the universe couldn't handle the imbalance otherwise!I don't know - I think I'd prefer a living room with a fireplace (with a nice fire in it), an endless pot of tea with snacks, just sitting around comfortably telling stories and laughing. We have our forums for the whole Carrara render-off thing! ;)
    I think you're right about the imbalance thing. We don't want too many rays being traced too close together all at once like that.
    Okay, so... lots of tea and snacks. Then just meet at Pete's house?
    I've never left the United States of America, and I'm a bit scared to do so. But I'd try for a union like this. If only none of it had anything to do with funds. Damn what I would do for a more Utopian way of living!

edited December 1969

tsarist said:

A Proper book would be nice to have.
    I had always hoped they'd make one. Now, I'm just grateful for a pdf.
    I'm with you on that, tsarist. I like the C7 manual so much that I have lavishly printed its entire contents and hard-bound it. Normally, when I bind a printed pdf book, it's a tedious endeavor of punching numerous holes and slicing piles of paper by hand and creating a durable hard cover which gets wrapped with a colorful glossy print and hinged to the rest of the book with cloth. But this baby, with it's 853 pages, was just to enormous. So I just punched for a three ring binder and bought the nicest one I could find. I'm glad I did, too - because it's held up well over the years. I still refer to it often.

After looking over the above mentioned books, I decided against getting them, as PhilW has already taught me enough in those areas - in addition to having this nice Tome, the Carrara 7 User Guide. Not sure where to find that anymore. Carrara 8 ships with the Carrara 6 manual.

I think Phil should just take the manual and use it as a guide for a new TV show that is available at Daz3d. Each episode covers a new range of Carrara's many capabilities and features. He's need to add all of the stuff that currently lists TBD in the description, as well as the new version 8 (8.5 and 9) additions, which could actually be set as separate episodes. Then he could just make update episodes as Carrara changes in the future. I could really see Phil Wilkes as a Carrara TV host. He's certainly qualified but also has the talent to entertain as he teaches, which is a true gift.

edited December 1969

Phil W,
    As for that final episode of Advanced Carrara Techniques, where you tell us about who you are and what you've been doing since the beginning of Personal Computer time, I just love it. The images and the flow... the presentation. It just makes me hungry for more. Now that I've put your teachings to practice over and over again (have I mentioned that Carrara is where I live?) I watch the series for no reason other than to watch your show. It's the best and I want more.
    I don't ever want to spoil it for anyone, which is why I'll never show people what I've learned from your series. But that last, short tidbit about your experience with 3d certainly explains why you are truly the man for the job. The only way to have that much fun and excellence in this field is through the drive and passion that you have. And you like Carrara so much that you really know how to convey how to get the most out of it.
    It's the best and I want more.

edited December 1969

I've never left the United States of America, and I'm a bit scared to do so. But I'd try for a union like this. If only none of it had anything to do with funds. Damn what I would do for a more Utopian way of living!

:bug: Dude...there is a planet beyond the borders of this country. :)

If I have you geo-located correctly, you've got less than day's drive around either side of Lake Michigan to get into Canada. They are friendly there - I promise! No biting! :)

I'm aiming for a "big vacation" this year to Europe -- not sure where yet...leaning toward a river boat cruise down the Danube River.

edited December 1969

Carrara 8 ships with the Carrara 6 manual.

Maybe that will be the February announcement? "We finally got the manual up-to-date!"

I could really see Phil Wilkes as a Carrara TV host. He's certainly qualified but also has the talent to entertain as he teaches, which is a true gift.

That's not a far stretch for my imagination either. ;)

edited December 1969

Oh, you guys, you'll make me blush! But thank you anyway, it is truly appreciated to get such positive feedback. And I know that the UK is a lot smaller than the US, but everyone should try to travel a little and go to other countries. I've been lucky enough to travel to various places in Europe, North America and the Far East and it's a real education every time. Who knows, one day I may even go to Carrara! (It's in Italy...)

edited December 1969

PhilW said:
    Oh, you guys, you'll make me blush! But thank you anyway, it is truly appreciated to get such positive feedback.

I know that I would not have gotten so much out of Carrara without your training to guide and inspire.

PhilW said:
    And I know that the UK is a lot smaller than the US, but everyone should try to travel a little and go to other countries. I've been lucky enough to travel to various places in Europe, North America and the Far East and it's a real education every time.

I haven't traveled nearly as much as I would like to. Besides the Big Three where I've lived (Australia, Canada, USA), I've only been to the Dominican Republic. I definitely need to get my passport decorated a bit more.

Who knows, one day I may even go to Carrara! (It's in Italy...)

Could this be the start of a pilgrimage? I can imagine all these poor Italians wondering WTF happened when a bunch of Carrarists descend upon their village. :)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carrara

Heck, Phil, you just might have made my vacation choice for me! :lol:

• evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,040
    edited December 1969

PhilW said:
    Oh, you guys, you'll make me blush! But thank you anyway, it is truly appreciated to get such positive feedback. And I know that the UK is a lot smaller than the US, but everyone should try to travel a little and go to other countries. I've been lucky enough to travel to various places in Europe, North America and the Far East and it's a real education every time. Who knows, one day I may even go to Carrara! (It's in Italy...)

I may just have to look up some pictures on line! Perhaps some Carrara native content, or Vicky or Aiko might like a virtual vacation!

edited December 1969

Looks like I can add Travel Agent to my CV! Italy is a beautiful place, and although I haven't been to Carrara, I've to Florence which isn't too far away. And I'm lucky enough to be going to Rome next month.

edited December 1969

Garstor said:

Could this be the start of a pilgrimage? I can imagine all these poor Italians wondering WTF happened when a bunch of Carrarists descend upon their village. :)

...And started bitching the travel guide was out of date, or they couldn't get in because the serial number had expired! ;-)

edited December 1969

...And started bitching the travel guide was out of date, or they couldn't get in because the serial number had expired! ;-)

HAHAHAHAHA!!! I darn near fell out of my chair at this! Thanks ep!

edited December 1969

I'd be terribly remiss if I did not note that Carrara is also Down Under!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carrara,_Queensland

edited December 1969

Garstor said:
    I'd be terribly remiss if I did not note that Carrara is also Down Under!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carrara,_Queensland

Well I didn't know that! And great line from EP above!

edited January 2013

Cripeman just put up yet another great tutorial in his thread. He just keeps showing and showing and... I'm thinking that we could eventually compile a decent video manual from his stuff, too. With him showing us the essentials of "what's in Carrara and how does it work" along with Phil Wilkes' TV show on how to use this in the world of 3d art, we could turn all Carrara users into professional artists in their own aspect of where their interests lie.

Evil Producer, in my opinion, should already reap some handsome profits for his renders. He's got a real talent going there.
    Whoa... I just found an old Poster I drew for my band from the 80's (I was still quite young!):
    Dan Beck, the drummer, is me

Kixx_Wikked_Poster.jpg
    900 x 960 - 194K
    Post edited by Dartanbeck on
    edited December 1969

Cripeman just put up yet another great tutorial in his thread. He just keeps showing and showing and... I'm thinking that we could eventually compile a decent video manual from his stuff, too. With him showing us the essentials of "what's in Carrara and how does it work" along with Phil Wilkes' TV show on how to use this in the world of 3d art, we could turn all Carrara users into professional artists in their own aspect of where their interests lie.

Evil Producer, in my opinion, should already reap some handsome profits for his renders. He's got a real talent going there.
    Whoa... I just found an old Poster I drew for my band from the 80's (I was still quite young!):
    Dan Beck, the drummer, is me

Hahaa! That poster is great! In my mind I see you guys as a cross between, That 70's Show, Wayne's World, and Bill and Ted! :lol:

edited January 2013

Yup. That was us - just as you envision.
    As with so many, that band broke up - differing opinions and such - ahhh to be young again.
    Band have come and gone - and I've never gone for more than a month or two without having paying gigs in a stable band. Even in my younger years - I've seen 36 of our United States. I haven't been part of a band in all those states... but I've never been without my drums as a source of free drinks and a hundred bucks and a buttload of fun.
    Kixx Wikked played Pink Floyd, Jimi Hendrix, Living Colour, Van Halen, Extreme, Kansas... all with a touch of what we then called Metal, which appears to have an entirely new meaning these days.

Here's a poster I made in Carrara, using Predatrons Low Res Lorenzo of my current band:
    I'm the guy in the Army shirt and the gut! I have since lost my gut, though lol

Dow-Jones-Web.jpg
    800 x 450 - 77K
    Post edited by Dartanbeck on