DAZ Install Manager (DIM) 1.1.0.28, Now Available! [Updated]

Comments

• KeryaKerya Posts: 10,943
    edited December 1969

namffuak said:

If anyone knows some way of "tidying up" the DIM files/manifests to make startup faster, please do share.

At the risk of being pilloried - make sure they're all on SSD. :-) These are, after all, the kind of high-read/low write activity files SSD was designed for.

Uhm ... the manifest files are overwritten each time you start DIM, to get DIM to know which date is the most recent it looked at them.
    With thousands of files that is not exactly low write activity in my eyes ...

• SpitSpit Posts: 2,342
    edited June 2014

Has anyone gotten the PC items and can't download? DIM is giving me 'failed'. I'd normally just wait and try later, but I changed something in my firewall and don't know if I caused the problem.

Update: Nevermind. Two just came down. I'm sure the others will follow shortly.

Post edited by Spit on
  • DAZ_SpookyDAZ_Spooky Posts: 3,100
    edited December 1969

Try going to Windows\SysWOW64 and renaming nvinit.dll to nvinit.off and see if that solves the problem.
    Generally the nVinit issue was on systems with an nVidia card and an Intel HD Chip.

Specifying which video card to use with Install Manager also clears it. (Note that newer Intel Processors have the Intel Video chip built in.)

• KaribouKaribou Posts: 1,325
    edited June 2014

Try going to Windows\SysWOW64 and renaming nvinit.dll to nvinit.off and see if that solves the problem.
    Generally the nVinit issue was on systems with an nVidia card and an Intel HD Chip.

Specifying which video card to use with Install Manager also clears it. (Note that newer Intel Processors have the Intel Video chip built in.)
    That's me. Ivybridge i7 with NVIDIA GTX 660. How do you set which video card to use with Install Manager? Have no idea how to do that!

Post edited by Karibou on
  • BTLProdBTLProd Posts: 114
    edited December 1969

That's me. Ivybridge i7 with NVIDIA GTX 660. How do you set which video card to use with Install Manager? Have no idea how to do that!nVidia Control Panel->Manage 3D settings on the Program Settings Tab. Find Install Manager and specify which card to use. (Note for Install Manager the Intel chip is enough.)
    edited December 1969

That's me. Ivybridge i7 with NVIDIA GTX 660. How do you set which video card to use with Install Manager? Have no idea how to do that!nVidia Control Panel->Manage 3D settings on the Program Settings Tab. Find Install Manager and specify which card to use. (Note for Install Manager the Intel chip is enough.)
    Excellent!! Thanks!
  • fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565
    edited December 1969

namffuak said:

If anyone knows some way of "tidying up" the DIM files/manifests to make startup faster, please do share.

At the risk of being pilloried - make sure they're all on SSD. :-) These are, after all, the kind of high-read/low write activity files SSD was designed for.

LOL. Yup. I'd pillory you if you weren't just words on a monitor!! (I think I currently have 88GB of downloads plus over a TB of runtimes and art files combined. Something tells me an SSD might be a bit cost-prohibitive!!) I might be able to afford it if I mortgaged the house...!

Not the downloads folder and runtimes, just the manifestfiles folder. Mine is 62.5 MB for 4159 installed items.

edited December 1969

Kerya said:
    namffuak said:

Uhm ... the manifest files are overwritten each time you start DIM, to get DIM to know which date is the most recent it looked at them.

Again, that's the downloads folder. The manifestfiles folder is only written to when you install an item.

edited December 1969

namffuak said:

LOL. Yup. I'd pillory you if you weren't just words on a monitor!! (I think I currently have 88GB of downloads plus over a TB of runtimes and art files combined. Something tells me an SSD might be a bit cost-prohibitive!!) I might be able to afford it if I mortgaged the house...!

Not the downloads folder and runtimes, just the manifestfiles folder. Mine is 62.5 MB for 4159 installed items.

You know, THAT I never considered. And it might make a significant difference in startup time.

• KeryaKerya Posts: 10,943
    edited December 1969

Kerya said:
    namffuak said:

Again, that's the downloads folder. The manifestfiles folder is only written to when you install an item.

Thank you for the clarification!

• robertjonsonrobertjonson Posts: 1
    edited December 1969

DAZ 3D is pleased to announce the next public version of DAZ Install Manager - version 1.1.0.21!

What is new in this version?

The 1.1.0.21 version is a maintenance release and makes improvements to or fixes issues discovered since the 1.1.0.15 General Release. More detail on specific fixes/changes/improvements can be found in the Change Log, which can be viewed online within the Documentation Center portion of our site. All new downloads of DAZ Install Manager will be of this version.

Highlights are:
    1) Fixed an issue that resulted in not being able to re-establish an active/valid session when connectivity is intermittent
    2) Implemented support for sending 'keep-alive' signals to the server during a [connected] session; helps address intermittent connectivity issues by periodically informing the server that the client believes a given session is still active
    3) Fixed a potential crash during the installation of packages that cause other packages to uninstall
    4) Added support for mapping the application path of the Creative Cloud (CC) version of Photoshop; product packages require individual updates to support installation to a mapped CC path, which will be published over the next few days
    5) Several updates/improvements have been made to the Default Filters

How do I get the latest version?

If you have previously installed the Install Manager application and the computer it is installed on is connected to the internet, you can simply launch the application and log into your account. Once connected, you will be notified that an update has been detected and you will be prompted to "Update" or "Work Offline". Click the "Update" button and the application will take care of the rest.

Optionally, you can locate, download and install the application from the Product Library [once you are logged into your account] by entering "Install Manager" into the text field near the top left of the page and clicking the "Filter" button, or by clicking here for Windows users, or here for Mac users.

If this is your first time downloading and/or installing Install Manager, simply follow this link, click the "download free now" button on the page and then run the downloaded installer.

*Note: If you are on a computer running the Windows operating system, you have an nVidia based graphics card installed along with another non nVidia graphics card (e.g. an Ivy bridge CPU), you have a recent graphics driver installed and you experience a crash during the uninstaller phase of the update... it is recommended that you download the installer from the Product Library (see above) and run it manually.

Is there any documentation?

Yes, documentation is located here. Clicking the "Help" button in the top right corner of the application main window will launch your [default] browser to the same location.

• Lissa_xyzLissa_xyz Posts: 6,116
    edited December 1969

Can also just disable the integrated graphics in the bios settings, then Windows won't even see it and never use it.
  • SimonJMSimonJM Posts: 5,945
    edited December 1969

In a prolonged fit of hope over experience I have over the past few years bought not a few of Ron's brushes. Not a problem thus far, installed them into a 'standalone' folder as I don't have photoshop. Today I saw there was a mass update of the brushes, so downloaded them. Again, not an issue.
    But then I tried to install the updates. And they all fail:

Install Manager cannot find a required path. The package for "Ron's Aging Dirt and Grit" requires that the installed path for "Photoshop CC, CS6, CS5, CS4, CS3, CS2, CS" be defined. Make sure that a path for this application is present on the "Applications" page of the "Settings" dialog, then try again.

This is despite having the "Content Updates Install To" setting of Respective "Installed" Paths.
    I presume this is a recent update to how the tagging works? Why do they HAVE to be installed to a specific application directory structure? Cannot photoshop look in a specified place for them?
  • larrygilmanlarrygilman Posts: 94
    edited June 2014

SimonJM said:
    In a prolonged fit of hope over experience I have over the past few years bought not a few of Ron's brushes. Not a problem thus far, installed them into a 'standalone' folder as I don't have photoshop. Today I saw there was a mass update of the brushes, so downloaded them. Again, not an issue.
    But then I tried to install the updates. And they all fail:
    Install Manager cannot find a required path. The package for "Ron's Aging Dirt and Grit" requires that the installed path for "Photoshop CC, CS6, CS5, CS4, CS3, CS2, CS" be defined. Make sure that a path for this application is present on the "Applications" page of the "Settings" dialog, then try again.

This is despite having the "Content Updates Install To" setting of Respective "Installed" Paths.
    I presume this is a recent update to how the tagging works? Why do they HAVE to be installed to a specific application directory structure? Cannot photoshop look in a specified place for them?

I am havin that exact same problem. I just installed CC for Photoshop and no matter what I rename the Adobe Photoshop CC 2014 to match what DIM is looking for, I always get the same error(s). I installed Photoshop CC on my other desktop a few weeks back there were no problems.

Post edited by larrygilman on
  • frank0314frank0314 Posts: 13,349
    edited December 1969

Do you have DIM pointed to the PS directory folder or a specific folder within the directory. Can you post a screen shot of your Installation and application tabs

edited December 1969

Frank0314 said:
    Do you have DIM pointed to the PS directory folder or a specific folder within the directory. Can you post a screen shot of your Installation and application tabs

I have DIM pointed at C:/Program Files/Adobe/Adobe Photoshop CC 2014
    I have also tried without the 2014.

edited June 2014

I've defined my fake PS folder in two places in DIM. Both in Installation tab and in applications tab (shown below). Within my fake Photoshop directory I put a text file with nothing in it and named it photoshop.exe. Don't know if that's necessary but it certainly doesn't hurt anything.

ApplicationsPSforDIM.JPG
    541 x 407 - 61K
    InstallationPSforDIM.JPG
    550 x 413 - 91K
    Post edited by Spit on
    edited December 1969

Spit said:
    I've defined my fake PS folder in two places in DIM. Both in Installation tab and in applications tab (shown below). Within my fake Photoshop directory I put a text file with nothing in it and named it photoshop.exe. Don't know if that's necessary but it certainly doesn't hurt anything.

I thought that didn't work for you??

edited December 1969

Sadsaytr said:
    Spit said:

Could you be thinking of someone else? This works fine. In your content path you tell DIM to download to, I use the 'Photoshop[' one highlighted in the first image.

• SimonJMSimonJM Posts: 5,945
    edited December 1969

As I mentioned I do not have photoshop so have never had anything in DIM referencing it - no need. What I DID do was create an Installation type I named 'Resources' and it was to there that I installed the brushes. That installation configuration is still present. I have now added a dummy application entry for photoshop that points to the same locations as Resources and that allowed be to install the upgraded version of the brushes.

edited December 1969

SimonJM said:
    As I mentioned I do not have photoshop so have never had anything in DIM referencing it - no need. What I DID do was create an Installation type I named 'Resources' and it was to there that I installed the brushes. That installation configuration is still present. I have now added a dummy application entry for photoshop that points to the same locations as Resources and that allowed be to install the upgraded version of the brushes.

Great!!

edited December 1969

Spit said:
    Sadsaytr said:
    Spit said:

Could you be thinking of someone else? This works fine. In your content path you tell DIM to download to, I use the 'Photoshop[' one highlighted in the first image.

Yep, I was thinking of some one else.
    So is your CS 2 a real place?? I am a bit confused, all I really need to do is setup a fake folder and point DIM to it. And later when I use Photoshop, tell it where the brushed and other stuff is?? What is DIM looking for??

DIM_Adobe.png
    960 x 540 - 19K
    edited December 1969

Sadsaytr said:
    Spit said:
    Sadsaytr said:
    Spit said:

Yep, I was thinking of some one else.
    So is your CS 2 a real place?? I am a bit confused, all I really need to do is setup a fake folder and point DIM to it. And later when I use Photoshop, tell it where the brushed and other stuff is?? What is DIM looking for??

No. This is a fake folder. (I have Photoshop but I install brushes here.)

edited July 2014

Before I submit a feature request because I can't find it, is there a way to create our own tags for our items beyond the premade software compatibility tags? I'd love to slap my items with my own tags for things like interior, exterior, shaders, plants, what figure a product is for, etc. Allowing for multiple tags/categories/whatever would be ideal.

Post edited by Lissa_xyz on
  • PhilWPhilW Posts: 5,139
    edited December 1969

I wonder if it would be possible to add an option to select items and then "hide" them or otherwise ignore them so they are not listed. For example, it offers to download both 32bit and 64bit options for programs, I generally only want one of these, but I can't then hide the other option. Similarly, it might offer both PS and DS options, and often I only want to install one of these but can't clear the other from the list. Hence my list is getting clogged up with stuff I don't want to download, and the ability to selectively hide all this would streamline things considerably.

edited December 1969

PhilW said:
    I wonder if it would be possible to add an option to select items and then "hide" them or otherwise ignore them so they are not listed. For example, it offers to download both 32bit and 64bit options for programs, I generally only want one of these, but I can't then hide the other option. Similarly, it might offer both PS and DS options, and often I only want to install one of these but can't clear the other from the list. Hence my list is getting clogged up with stuff I don't want to download, and the ability to selectively hide all this would streamline things considerably.

On the Ready to Download tab click on "Download Filters" and uncheck anything you don't use.

• DAZ_SpookyDAZ_Spooky Posts: 3,100
    edited December 1969

PhilW said:

On the Ready to Download tab click on "Download Filters" and uncheck anything you don't use.Then if anything still shows up that you don't want, you can check all of them and Hide them by right clicking on one and saying Hide all.

• namffuaknamffuak Posts: 4,059
    edited December 1969

PhilW said:

On the Ready to Download tab click on "Download Filters" and uncheck anything you don't use.

Then if anything still shows up that you don't want, you can check all of them and Hide them by right clicking on one and saying Hide all.

But this only seems to work on the 'ready to download' tab, which is inaccessible when working off-line. It would be nice to hide the 32-bit software on my off-line 64-bit system. Sounds like a job for a feature request - 'add right-click -> hide all selected' to the 'ready to install' tab available actions.

I'll drop it in a bit later today.

edited July 2014

How can I filter by multiple methods at the same time? I'm trying to filter by tag>DSON Importer, but then when I also try to filter out by same install location, one overrides the other in the search box.

I want to see only PoserCF in a certain runtime.

Post edited by Lissa_xyz on
    edited December 1969

Vaskania said:
    How can I filter by multiple methods at the same time? I'm trying to filter by tag>DSON Importer, but then when I also try to filter out by same install location, one overrides the other in the search box.

I want to see only PoserCF in a certain runtime.

Here's the documentation on the filter regular expressions: http://docs.daz3d.com/doku.php/public/software/install_manager/referenceguide/interface/filter_field/advanced_filtering

Between that and the default filters you should be able to construct exactly what you need.