The Wakeful Brain Complaint Thread

Comments

• MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675
    edited July 2012

does anyone remember the name of the Sting song?
    he's singing with someone who isn't singing in english. i cantz find it.
    it sounds new age-ee
    found it :lol:
    Desert Rose" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C3lWwBslWqg

Post edited by Mistara on
  • RezcaRezca Posts: 3,389
    edited December 1969

I found my shanghai beef :D
    It was crammed into a corner of the freezer and I didn't see it. Cooked it and am eating it now :3
    It's very good. So good in fact I'm a bit surprised my dragons haven't come to life and stolen it from me yet ^_^

dragonhiplz.gif
    50 x 50 - 8K
  • ps1borgps1borg Posts: 12,776
    edited December 1969

Siigraph must be on soon, the usual immanent upgrade cycle has begun :)

edited July 2012

ps1borg said:

I don't think we'll be expecting Cinema 14 until sometime this November or perhaps September.

Post edited by Rezca on
    edited December 1969

Happy not to be in the games business

edited December 1969

Rezca said:
    ps1borg said:

I don't think we'll be expecting Cinema 14 until sometime this November or perhaps September.

Not so much upgrades but rumours of upgrades this time of year ;)

edited December 1969

Rezca said:
    I found my shanghai beef :D
    It was crammed into a corner of the freezer and I didn't see it. Cooked it and am eating it now :3
    It's very good. So good in fact I'm a bit surprised my dragons haven't come to life and stolen it from me yet ^_^

Cookie Monster is off the hook again :)

• SkirikiSkiriki Posts: 4,975
    edited December 1969

Argh. 25% sale in one of the 3D stores. *headscratch*

edited July 2012

ps1borg said:
    Rezca said:
    ps1borg said:

Not so much upgrades but rumours of upgrades this time of year ;)

There was a thread about that on the C4DCafe as well. ^_^
    Really I'm not too spazzed out about it myself, but am curious to see what R14 will bring.
    11 -> Rendering
    12 -> Dynamics
    13 -> Rigging & Character Animation
    14 -> ?????
    The only thing that was confirmed to be in 14 was tighter intergration with Nuke (Or was it Fusion?) similar to the very close bond it has with Adobe After Effects.
    I'm hoping for some modeling - especially stuff to help with organics like dragons and stuffs. Or perhaps some terrain or scattering stuff that would give Vue something to worry about ^_^
    After all, if Cinema had what Vue has - even if slightly less powerful - Vue would lose a lot of interest for me since MAXON's stability and ease of use puts Vue to shame on so many levels. Not all my interest, but a lot of it.

Post edited by Rezca on
  • Sfariah DSfariah D Posts: 25,679
    edited December 1969

I cannot sleep.

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,560
    edited December 1969

...heard a story on the news Friday morning that taking a short afternoon nap is actually beneficial to one's productivity. While other nations embrace this, here if you are caught dozing after lunch, it usually results in a reprimand and goes down on your record as being lazy and inattentive.

This nation is worked too bloody hard for it's own good. At my day job, we have lost several people yet there has been no hiring of people to take their places. Consequently the company's entire workload has to be borne by those still there. This is why I am having to manage the accounts of two departments now, why y co manager for my primary client is having to cover other bases, and why orders that require special handling (like imprinting and shrink wrapping jobs) no longer not ship the same day they are received.

It is a totally penny wise and pound foolish approach and only going to result in extreme burnout for those of us who are left.

Now I have no issue with putting in and "honest day's work for an honest day's pay", but lately what has been happening where I work is bordering on the extreme. For example, a month ago they adopted very restrictive vacation policies based on what each department does. Because I am now responsible for two different departments with different schedules, by the rules I basically can no longer take any time off. Evne though I've been working for the same firm for over seventeen years I only can accrue a maximum of 3 weeks of paid vacation.

in some other countries (save for maybe Japan) by now I would have five to six weeks holiday, if not a two month sabbatical (with pay)

Meh, we need to take better care of our workforce here and stop needlessly stressing them out like we do.

edited December 1969

There is a kitten sleeping on me. I should be sleeping too

edited December 1969

...same here.

...nitey nite all.

smiley-sleep018.gif
    45 x 30 - 7K
  • frank0314frank0314 Posts: 13,329
    edited December 1969

Kyoto Kid said:
    ...heard a story on the news Friday morning that taking a short afternoon nap is actually beneficial to one's productivity. While other nations embrace this, here if you are caught dozing after lunch, it usually results in a reprimand and goes down on your record as being lazy and inattentive.

This nation is worked too bloody hard for it's own good. At my day job, we have lost several people yet there has been no hiring of people to take their places. Consequently the company's entire workload has to be borne by those still there. This is why I am having to manage the accounts of two departments now, why y co manager for my primary client is having to cover other bases, and why orders that require special handling (like imprinting and shrink wrapping jobs) no longer not ship the same day they are received.

It is a totally penny wise and pound foolish approach and only going to result in extreme burnout for those of us who are left.

Now I have no issue with putting in and "honest day's work for an honest day's pay", but lately what has been happening where I work is bordering on the extreme. For example, a month ago they adopted very restrictive vacation policies based on what each department does. Because I am now responsible for two different departments with different schedules, by the rules I basically can no longer take any time off. Evne though I've been working for the same firm for over seventeen years I only can accrue a maximum of 3 weeks of paid vacation.

in some other countries (save for maybe Japan) by now I would have five to six weeks holiday, if not a two month sabbatical (with pay)

Meh, we need to take better care of our workforce here and stop needlessly stressing them out like we do.

That sounds like the factory I was working for for many years. They would layoff people they work the remainder 12 hr days 6 days a week. They were paying out more in overtime then if they would've kept the people they laid off. Never made much business sense and they wonder why they went bankrupt.

edited December 1969

Australia is reasonably laid back about holidays, we get one day off a year in memory of the 40 hour week ;)

• WoolyloachWoolyloach Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Rezca said:
    Just like large raptors drinking is a bad sign:

ROFL! Never a good decision!

• WoolyloachWoolyloach Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

ps1borg said:
    Happy not to be in the games business

Piracy is an eternal issue with games, and the stronger you make the anti-piracy measures, the more they try to brak them AND the more you anger your base audience.

I'm getting back into game development, but only interactive fiction, and it's all going to be free. Pretty much the only safe bet.

To succeed, you need a mostly online component so you can ban pirates, and then sell premium items under your control. That's a decent money naker,.

edited December 1969

yawn, stretch, reach for coffee :)

raining like buckets outside. good day for rendering dragons.
    eastern dragon needs a remap. maybe even furry like Falcor

anybody else staying home all day? :)

• SkirikiSkiriki Posts: 4,975
    edited December 1969

Not me! I went to do some groceries with a friend of mine, and we ended up hitting a buffet, and spent two hours there, thirty minutes of it for eating, the rest for talking, since we were not in a hurry. *burp* I'm completely stuffed still.

• atticanneatticanne Posts: 3,009
    edited December 1969

Rezca said:
    Rezca said:
    Not being able to sleep is a good thing for me at the moment (At Work.). Just had a cup of Blackberry-Pomegranate green tea to help with that just in case.

Ooooh, that tea sounds nice! I wonder if I can find it around here? :coolsmile:

I think I got mine at Safeway. I also grabbed a bunch of other teas. One whose name I forget... Bengal Spices, Raspberry Zinger, Melon & Dragonfruit, Blackberry Pomegranate, and I think one or two others. I like herbal tea.

Oooh those all sound good! I bet Whole Foods will have those if the local grocery store doesn't.

I need to drink more herbal tea, apparently too much caffeine can affect your blood sugar negatively.. feh. Herbal tea to the rescue!

If you're close to Great Hills you might try Randall's, just across the street from HEB.

• atticanneatticanne Posts: 3,009
    edited December 1969

@Skiriki: Love the squirrel tale. Reminds me of Ray Stevens' Mississippi Squirrel Revival.

edited December 1969

Frank0314 said:
    Kyoto Kid said:

That sounds like the factory I was working for for many years. They would layoff people they work the remainder 12 hr days 6 days a week. They were paying out more in overtime then if they would've kept the people they laid off. Never made much business sense and they wonder why they went bankrupt.
    ...yep, pennywise and pound foolish for sure.

Where I work, "hourly" employees (such as myself) are restricted to 40 hours a week as there is a "no overtime" policy in effect. So I have to cram all this extra work that's been dumped on me in a normal eight hour workday (often forgoing lunch even though I clock out for it as well as working on my own time before clocking in or after clocking out for the day). It's been exceptionally brutal on the exempt staff in our production departments who often have to come in on weekends and work long days during the week for no additional pay (sales is of course spared this). I guess I should feel fortunate in a way that I am an hourly employee as it is darn near impossible to get out there on weekends because of lousy Saturday/Sunday transit service in that part of the metro area.

Even so, with my commute, I am away from home almost thirteen hours of each day, which doesn't leave much for personal pursuits such as writing and creating pics anymore. If I'm "lucky", I get maybe five an a half to six hours of what could be termed "restful" sleep a night so by the time the weekend rolls around I am so physically and emotionally (lots of pointless "head games" to deal with) exhausted, I sleep in until almost noon on many a Saturday. So effectively, my weekends are about a day to a day and a half long and Monday morning always seems to arrive way too soon.

I hate feeling tired all the time, and as I am getting on years this is only getting harder and harder to deal with.

edited December 1969

Morning. Purply black and moonless in the cold predawn outside, with a wind coercing tentacled silhouettes from the tree branches bumping on my window :)

edited December 1969

We are now on page 42. The answer to a question.

edited December 1969

...or the question in search of an answer.

edited July 2012

extreme frustrate poser strand hair

double_facepalm.jpg
    635 x 496 - 52K
    Post edited by Mistara on
    edited December 1969

42 skidoo :)

edited July 2012

...unfortunately, the first SkiDoo didn't appear until 59. :)

1959_skidoo.jpg
    606 x 334 - 41K
    Post edited by kyoto kid on
    edited December 1969

...shuffle off to Buffalo

edited December 1969

...skedaddle to Seattle.

This discussion has been closed.