Help with Jepe's Platesz - another issue

Sid_1500574Sid_1500574 Posts: 30
edited July 2012 in The Commons

Hi

Sorry, was having trouble finding the morphs but ok now.

edit - another problem now, see below.

Thanks

Post edited by Sid_1500574 on

Comments

• anikadanikad Posts: 1,919
    edited December 1969

How is the product? I was thinking of buying. Thanks.

• Sid_1500574Sid_1500574 Posts: 30
    edited July 2012

I haven't had chance to play around enough to really comment yet. I'm a big fan of Jepe's effects, and this is of the usual high quality - if you don't have anything like it already, you won't be disappointed.

Having said that, the thumbnails could be a lot better. I looked at the textures in the advert and thought they looked excellent (picture 3 onwards) but the thumbnails make it difficult to see what texture you are loading.

I was also a bit disappointed that the morphs didn't include an option for making a beam type shape.

So for now I will reserve judgement on how this compares to, say, Jepes throwz, which I use a lot.

Post edited by Sid_1500574 on
  • anikadanikad Posts: 1,919
    edited December 1969

Thanks for the info. I don't have any of Jepe's effects yet. So I think I will pick this one up.

edited December 1969

An issue I have found with this is that the props don't rotate around the Y axis, the y axis rotate is the same as the x axis rotate - this is really bugging me. Does anyone know why it would be doing this?

• jepegraphicsjepegraphics Posts: 863
    edited December 1969

I agree, rotating the PlateZ is sth. that needs getting used to. If you want to have the rotating point in the middle, create a new "Null" object (Menu "Create" --> new Null...), place it in the middle of the PlateZ prop and then drag the PlateZ object under this Null object in the scene tab), Then you can rotate the Null and the Platez object will follow.

Btw, making the thumbnail previews for my effects are always a challenge, unfortunately the thumb size is limited to 91 px in DS, picturing the whole prop in such a tiny picture always results in loosing details and seeing less what prop it is. I decided to have a quarter pictured with the center point in the right upper corner or the PlateZ now - any other sugestions?

Another tip, you can add a deformer to the PlateZ prop and can bring it in any shape you can want or need. I'm really open and thankful for any suggestions for shapes that could be useful for such kind of props - at least for my next pack! :)

An issue I have found with this is that the props don't rotate around the Y axis, the y axis rotate is the same as the x axis rotate - this is really bugging me. Does anyone know why it would be doing this?
    edited December 1969

Thanks for the response Jepe.

I tried your tip with the null and it works, just a bit perplexed as to why this is needed though when earlier sets don't require the workaround.

I understand the thumbnail problem, it might be helpful to have some sort of description or name on the thumbs, if nothing else it makes it easier to remember favourites than just numbers.

Regarding deformers, I don't know how complex the shapes can be, but one that is roughly person shaped would be useful for doing force field/glow type effects.

I would really love it if you created a set based around power beams and blasts, lasers, gunfire etc.

Keep up the good work!

edited December 1969

Thanks for the response Jepe.

I tried your tip with the null and it works, just a bit perplexed as to why this is needed though when earlier sets don't require the workaround.

Earlier sets don't have HQ (morphable) props.

I understand the thumbnail problem, it might be helpful to have some sort of description or name on the thumbs, if nothing else it makes it easier to remember favourites than just numbers.

Hmmm, I always thought that remembering numbers would be easier and quicker. To be honest, I'm a creative guy, but I doubt that I can find creative and fitting names for 250 different props (only in this set). That's a bit too much to ask, I'm sorry.

Regarding deformers, I don't know how complex the shapes can be, but one that is roughly person shaped would be useful for doing force field/glow type effects.

Sounds interesting, I always wanted to include some "beaming, aura or glow" effects with my sets, but figures can have so many poses with limbs here and there, so what is roughly person shaped? Maybe a combo pack with figure poses would appropriate? I will think of it for sure but I don't know if anybody would want that.

I would really love it if you created a set based around power beams and blasts, lasers, gunfire etc.
    Keep up the good work!

I already have made such a set a long while ago, it was not a good seller unfortunately. But I can include some props of that kind with one of my next sets for sure! :) But as 2 dimensional props they are limited to be always parallel (90°) to the camera, no diagonal shooting for instance. :)

And thanks for your nice words, I really appreciate it.

• WakakanadaWakakanada Posts: 207
    edited December 1969

Thanks for the thread. I was considering buying my first product of this kind. After reading this thread, and seeing Jepes' helpful input, I am going to take the plunge. By the way Jepes, i LOVED that video you had the student put together. The animated backgrounds were amazing...too bad I can't afford the program you used...oh well, I'm sure I'll stumble across another way to animate backgrounds on a budget.

By the way, talking of synchronicity: I have been humming the theme song to "To Sir with Love" for the last week for some reason, then noticed the name of the threadstarter...cool.

edited December 1969

Thank you, Ebajoy. It's really nice to get a little feedback for my video. At least I know that someone's really watching it! :) If I had more time I would continue making more animations of that kind, but doing animations in DS is a challenge, even with Animate2. And it takes a long time to render a sequence that is only seconds long.

And again, in general, I really appreciate feedback, suggestions and requests, working with those kind of Special Effects is really easy with only a small count of rules to follow. ( I already spoke about the 90° rule, sometimes lighting can cause that a prop is too light, then you have to dim down the ambience a bit and so on)

If there are any questions or problems, I'm sure we can find a solution. :)

• SkirikiSkiriki Posts: 4,975
    edited December 1969

I would like an easy way to turn the sheet into a cone.