Smart Content went Dumb? (or I did)

DavemanDaveman Posts: 51

Some of my Smart Content is not showing, but others are.
Odd thing happened - While trying to down todays DAZ Freebie via the Managment Installer, my computer kinda froze so I had to do a hard reboot.
I open the installer and wow! ALL the products I have were showing in the Download Bin! Then the Installer began sorting them into the "Install Bin" and then finally sorted them to the "Installed Bin". The only thing left in the download bin was the freebie which I had not downloaded. I downloaded it and installed.
Two minutes later - my AVG antivirus software popped up telling me I had an infection identified as "MalSign.InstallC.586". I let it clean it. After that - I opened DAZ (the newest version) and Stephanie 6, and some props (various this and that) and materials that are smart content werent showing. I searched in the Right Hand panel for Stephanie 6 - and could merge her that way. BUT I have non of the options showing.

Was the MalSign.InstallC.586 file a false positive and required? Thats the only thing I can think of. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance

Im using Windows 7 in this instance.
If I posted in the wrong Forum arena let me know.

Post edited by Daveman on

Comments

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565
    edited December 1969

I have heard that some people found installing the Stephanie 6 metadata caused other G2F figures to stop showing in Smart Content. Try going to Content Library > options menu (rectangle with 4 lines in the upper corner) > Content DB Maintenance > Re-Import Metadata and re-import everything EXCEPT Stephanie 6. If everything else is working, you're fine. If other things aren't working, then the crash may have corrupted your database. If you have custom categories, Export User Data, then reset your database and re-import metadata.

• DavemanDaveman Posts: 51
    edited December 1969

I have heard that some people found installing the Stephanie 6 metadata caused other G2F figures to stop showing in Smart Content. Try going to Content Library > options menu (rectangle with 4 lines in the upper corner) > Content DB Maintenance > Re-Import Metadata and re-import everything EXCEPT Stephanie 6. If everything else is working, you're fine. If other things aren't working, then the crash may have corrupted your database. If you have custom categories, Export User Data, then reset your database and re-import metadata.

Thanks -I reimported the Metadata like you said without Stephanie 6 - with no change. I'm still pretty much at a newb level, so I havent done any custom anything. I just let the installer do all the brainy stuff for me. :-) But sadly there's no change after reimporting the metadata. As for the Install Manager - it seems to be running, I open it - it shows me all i have installed, with nothing out of the ordinary.

Anyway many of my most recent downloads are kaputz. Victoria 6 doesnt show in smart content. I can search for her but cant access the material options for that model either.

edited December 1969

I'd say your database is corrupt. Do you have any custom categories, or just the Smart Content that comes with products?

edited April 2014

I only use the originlal smart content that comes with the products.

Post edited by Daveman on
    edited December 1969

1) Close DS and uninstall CMS.
    2) Delete all the database files.The default location is in ProgramData, but I would search your entire hard drive with "Hidden and System Files" visible for "ContentDB.ind", in case you have more than one set of databases. Delete all the files in that folder.
    3) Reinstall CMS by running the installer in C:\Program Files (x86)\DAZ 3D\DAZ3DIM1\cms (if you have DIM installed) or by reinstalling DS.
    4) Start DS and re-import metadata.

edited December 1969

I closely followed your instructions with the exception of locating the file "ContentDB.ind"
    I searched for it and had it set to look for hidden files (or at least i see the file extensions anyway).., it didnt show after I uninstalled CMS. I reinstalled DAZ Studio and re-imported the Metadata - and I'm right back where I started from.
    Can I start pulling my hair out now? LoL.

I even went to back to the AVG antivirus vault and okayed the file it removed thinking maybe it was a false positive. It didnt change anything. The suspect file was after all in the DAZ Management folders, but restoring it had no effect either for better or worse.

• JimmyC_2009JimmyC_2009 Posts: 8,891
    edited December 1969

If you did not delete all the database files, nothing will have changed. That is the really important part.

You MUST find the five DB files, and get rid of them. Mine are in C:\Program Files\DAZ 3D\Content Management Service\databases, and they are called ContentDB.blb ContentDB.dat ContentDB.ind ContentDB.vdb and master.vdb

Once these are gone, they will be recreated the next time you run DAZ Studio, and you can then reimport your Metadata.

edited December 1969

Thank you both Fixmypcmike and JimmyC.
    I finally - finally - got it registered in my brain
    and as best I can tell, its working now. I deeply
    appreciate your help and patience.

edited December 1969

Mike's instructions are really good, and I have put them into Evernote for future use. Databases have a habit of corrupting from time to time. Glad you got it sorted.

• JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Mike's instructions are really good, and I have put them into Evernote for future use. Databases have a habit of corrupting from time to time. Glad you got it sorted.
    LOL!! You know Databases? I suggest that you read up on the new Change log then.
    edited December 1969

Hopefully PostgreSQL will work better if adopted, but they can all corrupt at times. Maybe not with such monotonous regularity as the present one :) Thanks for the info.