Hair Thru The Hat

AVU4UAVU4U Posts: 67
edited December 1969 in Technical Help (nuts n bolts)

As this render shows M4 hair is sticking through his hat. How do I keep this from happening? I'm working on a Mac Pro 8 core in OSX 10.6.8 with Daz4 4.0.3.47. Any help?

Mixs_Hair_Shows_Through_his_hat.jpg
800 x 450 - 124K

Comments

• scorpioscorpio Posts: 8,312
    edited December 1969

I usually use Dforms, and a bit of post work to cover any little bits that are left.

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,678
    edited December 1969

You can also render just the hat, then layer that over the full render and erase it as needed to only mask out the unwanted hair. Lyrra has a set of magnets to help with fitting hair under hats.

• SzarkSzark Posts: 10,634
    edited December 1969

Add to above it also depends on what the material zones are like as I have had some sucess in taking out the trans maps for certian zones and use 0% Opacity making certain parts of the hair invisible

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited July 2012

Richard mentioned Lyrra's magnet / deformer set. It can be found here http://www.daz3d.com/shop/deformers-plus-hat-head/

Post edited by Chohole on
  • Kendall SearsKendall Sears Posts: 2,995
    edited December 1969

You can also use the "Polygon Group Editor" tool to select the hair polys that are poking thru and make them invisible.

Kendall

• SzarkSzark Posts: 10,634
    edited December 1969

You can also use the "Polygon Group Editor" tool to select the hair polys that are poking thru and make them invisible.

Kendall

Oh yeah I use that and never thought of doing that for hair Kendall. I am going now before I look more stupid....what you say too late. LOL
  • Kendall SearsKendall Sears Posts: 2,995
    edited July 2012

Kendall

I need to make a note here. If using the PGE and you need to save the results, don't use "Polygon Visibility -> Hide Selected" as this will not be retained across DS4 sessions. If you need the "hides" to be persistent then use "Polygon Assignment -> Create Surface from Selected..." to create a new Material Group. Then you can assign all of the other polys to this same group. From the surfaces tab, set the Opacity to 0% and you've now permanently set those polys invisible for that scene.

Kendall

Post edited by Kendall Sears on
  • larsmidnattlarsmidnatt Posts: 4,511
    edited December 1969

Kendall

I need to make a note here. If using the PGE and you need to save the results, don't use "Polygon Visibility -> Hide Selected" as this will not be retained across DS4 sessions. If you need the "hides" to be persistent then use "Polygon Assignment -> Create Surface from Selected..." to create a new Material Group. Then you can assign all of the other polys to this same group. From the surfaces tab, set the Opacity to 0% and you've now permanently set those polys invisible for that scene.

Kendall

Thanks so much for this, I just happened to need this today and it works like a charm. I actually never used the PGE until today but I was able to find it in the menu and follow your steps quickly.

Thanks again.

• Mr Gneiss GuyMr Gneiss Guy Posts: 462
    edited December 2013

Holy cow. I've been doing things not just the hard way, but the stupidly hard way. I guess you can learn something new even when you are an old codger. Thanks, Kendall!

I can't believe I didn't see this originally, it would have saved me so much hair pulling (pun intended).

Post edited by Mr Gneiss Guy on
  • JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Tip: Got a Grass prop? Got Grass through your figures feet? Ta Da. PGE works here also.

• Blackbirdx61Blackbirdx61 Posts: 300
    edited December 1969

Holy necro thread batman,
    Seriously, I found this thread this morning, at its been a great help getting a Top Hat to work well with my Figures Gothic hair,
    but there seems to be no simple way to undo hiding a given polygon once its hidden, say a piece of the hats band next to a piece of the hair poking through.
    Any guidance would be appreciated.

http://www.anar-mura.com/sketchbook/2014/Claudia_v4GothicHairTopHat..jpg