Show Us Your Bryce Renders! Part 7

Comments

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

Haven't been doing much render wise lately. I keep starting things and then leaving them part completed.

Did finally get back to this one. but not 100% happy with it

The Water Mill

hidden_among_the_trees.jpg
    1200 x 900 - 637K
  • JamahoneyJamahoney Posts: 1,791
    edited December 1969

Tim...oh yeah, love it...can't wait to see how you finally finish it.

David...keeping a keen eye on your planetary/galaxy works.

Horo...the new set looks superb.

Chohole...yeah, I too have so many unfinished works...referring back to each opens up new areas of creativity, so I guess they don't go entirely to waste in the end.

Jay

• Dave SavageDave Savage Posts: 2,433
    edited December 1969

Thanks for the comments on my prelim work on the animaton.
    I've done a bit more and edited the original bit a bit better.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hAqsQl-HSfA

Great planets David. Yes, It's always anoyed me that the Bryce sun makes the transition from light to dark too sharply on spheres and it's a good tip to use lights other than the sun.

More great renders from everyone else too and thanks Rashad for your tips, they are always a great help.

edited December 1969

It's all about rock and roll, baby...R O C K...&...R O L L :coolsmile:

Jay

RockRoll.jpg
    1493 x 743 - 904K
    edited December 1969

Wow Jay... That's a lot of people for a render! :-)

Looks great... especially the lighting and poses of the audience.

• mermaid010mermaid010 Posts: 4,997
    edited August 2014

Beautiful, great renders from everyone, and interesting discussions and tips, which always help.

David - Love the space scenes you and Horo are doing, .hope to see a video tutorial soon.

Jay- the rock n roll is really rolling, awesome work.

Post edited by mermaid010 on
  • David BrinnenDavid Brinnen Posts: 3,136
    edited August 2014

Impressive Jay, you don't see many crowd scenes in Bryce! And it is a well composed shot too. Looks believable. Must have taken quite a while to pose all those figures.

Thank you Dave and Mermaid. Yeah, once the "research" is done, I plan to make some videos about manipulating these vortexes in the materials. It's not entirely easy.

Something I cooked up this morning (the inevitable putting off of chores phase of the day).

Edit: Oh Pam, I was going to compliment your watermill render, again for its painterly qualities and suggest that the mill was blending somewhat into the trees and that some "space" was needed to separate it from the background. Maybe a little haze might work to give the image a bit more depth?

Black_hole5_inside.jpg
    850 x 850 - 119K
    Black_hole5.jpg
    850 x 850 - 132K
    Post edited by David Brinnen on
    edited December 1969

Cheers, Savage...there are a lot of bald guys in it - must be the new hairlesss style...heh he ;)

Mermaid, yeah, thanks, too.

David, a lot of changing around alright... put this guy here, that guy there. Surpisingly, this work took just 6 minutes to render at normal settings, but was expecting it to be longer - what with all that sweat and perspiration around ;-P

Jay

• HoroHoro Posts: 10,119
    edited December 1969

@Pam - very nice mill house render.

@Jay - thank you. Rock & Roll is a cool idea and nicely done.

@Dave - new video looks cool.

@David - black holes?

• CTippettsCTippetts Posts: 162
    edited December 1969

@David Brinnen - [insert image of jaw dropping here]

• srieschsriesch Posts: 4,241
    edited December 1969

@chohole, I'm thinking perhaps the water pouring on the wheel should be more broken up and splashy, perhaps? I googled a bit, but couldn't find any decent reference photos to illustrate what I'm trying to say. I'm not a waterwheel expert, but I'm thinking the water wouldn't be a continuous, smooth unbroken stream but would be hitting the paddles or buckets or whatever they are called and spraying droplets everywhere, sort of like an actual short waterfall, perhaps with a lot more whiteness and turbulence. But I could be wrong.

@David, that second-to-last galaxy totally looked like I was looking through a spiraling tunnel of fog for a moment, interesting effect. Those were some interesting planets a few pages back as well.

@Jamahoney, good crowd scene.

• GussNemoGussNemo Posts: 1,855
    edited December 1969

@Sandy: Newest scene is nice, though a bit small for these old eyes to see a lot of detail.

@Horo: Another great stacked terrain scene. Is it me or do the foreground rocks(?) on the right seem a bit glassy? Still, wonderful work.

@Pam: Love the water mill, nice atmosphere.

@Dave: Additions to the animation are great.

@Jay: What, no music? Great piece of work. Now all you need are lighters waving in the air.

@David: Latest to are very close to those scene in the opening credits of Dr Who. Second one looks like what's shown when something in a movie travels through a worm hole.

I'm another of those who set aside a work to experiment on something else. In my case, volumetric clouds. I was experimenting with spheres, and found that more than just a few, less than 10, and the clouds don't look right. They almost resemble cauliflower heads. So I gave David's Volumetric Clouds part 1 another go, several really, and while it's not ingrained in my fingers yet, I came up with the following images. I've seen some banding in some of the images, which I'm not sure how to fix, but that's what experimenting is for. Two of the following images have a material I applied to the ground plane, I got tired of seeing a plain ground. It's just the blue and white check recolored and resized.

One or two of these three were colored by using the components in channels A & B. The other was done using the methods David showed in the video. As usual, all comments and suggestions are gladly welcomed. Especially for this work.

volumetric_clouds_16.png
    1080 x 810 - 818K
    volumetric_clouds_13.png
    1080 x 810 - 788K
    volumetric_clouds_9.png
    1080 x 810 - 712K
    edited December 1969

GussNemo said:
    I've seen some banding in some of the images, which I'm not sure how to fix, but that's what experimenting is for.

They look quite nice. Banding - just increase Quality. Volumetrics in Bryce (and many other 3D programs) are actually stacked planes and with a low quality setting, they are visible as bands.
    edited August 2014

Jay: Most of the gigs I go to nowadays have a large proportion of bald people anyway... must be my age and the kind of music I like that is enjoyed by older people. :cheese: :cheese: :cheese:

Guss: Doing well on the clouds. The first one is coloured best to my eye and a nice texture. The others look way too light on the underside and a bit solid but they do show you have managed to get texture on the underside of the clouds, which if I remember correctly was one of the aims of that tutorial.

The banding is caused by the volumetric material being built up in slices. Two ways to minimise it are:
    1. In the Mat Lab Volumetric settings move the speed/quality slider towards the left to increase the amount of slices used to make up material (this will have a massive effect on increasing render times depending how far to the left you move it)
    2. Try to change the angle you look at the material or object from so you're not look directly up the slices but at them.

Hope this helps :)

Meanwhile, I've started making the finished book that will be animated for my latest project.
    The animation will have the key turning and the hinge falling down so that the book opens magically on it's own.
    I still have to make the inside page that will be revealed when the book is open and also make sure the components are grouped correctly with the origin points altered correctly so that it will work, but I plan on doing that over the next few days.

FancyBook2.jpg
    960 x 540 - 304K
    Post edited by Dave Savage on
    edited December 1969

@Dave - the book looks awesome. Now I'm eager to know what is inside.

As a break from some experimenting, I had a bit of fun with the C-Island from the new set. Obviously, the two ladies also enjoy a stroll in the evening.

IsleC-Hiking.jpg
    1200 x 743 - 153K
    edited December 1969

@GussNemo - I agree with TheSavage ... the first image looks much more natural than the other two. I do see the banding you're talking about, but I also see that even worse in the other two.Had I not had them all side by side to compare, I would have called any of them beautiful.

@TheSavage64 - They say you can't judge a book by its cover, but I'm waiting to read yours.

@chohole - I'm amazed at how your afterwork on the edges of your mill image really give it a nice painting effect. I'm going to steal that idea.

@Horo - That very much reminds me of Edinburgh. Like there should be a castle integrated into that cliff, or at least part of a golf course in the valley. The realism is astounding. Had you posted it outside of this forum saying, "This is a photograph I took on my trip to Edinburgh.", I would have believed you. Um ... "two ladies"? Not sure what that means.

edited August 2014

CTippetts said:

@chohole - I'm amazed at how your afterwork on the edges of your mill image really give it a nice painting effect. I'm going to steal that idea.

I am no purist, I often use postwork. In this case I have a photo filter applied over the raw render (heck if photographers can use them, why shouldn't we) and then the edge is done using one of Filter Forge's effects, in this case it is from a free pack they give away to show you how great Filter Forge is. Pack 3, (if you have Photoshop.)

The photo filters I use are from this set http://www.optikvervelabs.com/

@chohole, I'm thinking perhaps the water pouring on the wheel should be more broken up and splashy, perhaps? I googled a bit, but couldn't find any decent reference photos to illustrate what I'm trying to say. I'm not a waterwheel expert, but I'm thinking the water wouldn't be a continuous, smooth unbroken stream but would be hitting the paddles or buckets or whatever they are called and spraying droplets everywhere, sort of like an actual short waterfall, perhaps with a lot more whiteness and turbulence. But I could be wrong.

I know, but not an easy effect to get and keep the poly count down as much as possible. You do get a heavier stream of water when it is an overshot mill, as this one is, (the most effective watermill type, if you can find a place to build one into the base of a small waterfall.)

Edit: Oh Pam, I was going to compliment your watermill render, again for its painterly qualities and suggest that the mill was blending somewhat into the trees and that some "space" was needed to separate it from the background. Maybe a little haze might work to give the image a bit more depth?

I do have haze at around 25 but it is dark haze, so not showing so much as a lighter haze would.

Post edited by Chohole on
    edited December 1969

CTippetts said:
    Um ... "two ladies"? Not sure what that means.

Check the lower right, there is Victoria 3 and Aiko 3 walking on the path. Thank you for your kind words.
  • Tim82Tim82 Posts: 858
    edited December 1969

@Horo- that's a beautiful scene :) ...also great renders from everyone else also :)

edited December 1969

Cheers, Horo, Savage and Sean.

Ah yes, Guss...lighters waving...heh he...the bouncers would have 'em out on their ears if they saw such things ;) Love the top cloud one, and that's a good tip on the banding - didn't know it.

Jay

edited December 1969

Had another go at this. Now I am calling it done, as it is quite a long render each time.

Hidden_among_the_trees_2.jpg
    1240 x 940 - 716K
  • Peter FulfordPeter Fulford Posts: 1,325
    edited December 1969

Great to see David and Horo tackling space again. Watching with keen interest and enjoying the outcomes.

David wrote:
    “There is something curious about lighting planets. If you look at actual images you see mostly a gentle transition where the shadow is cast, but in Bryce with the default sun the line is always harsh.”

Aha, the line is always harsh when there is bump (be it a planet, a football or a tomato). Not sure if this is a bug or just a literal implementation of the maths describing the (bumpy) surface. If there is no bump then the “terminator” (the transition between light and dark areas) will be naturally gradual.

I struggled with this for ages (years ago, back in Bryce3/4 days) and pretty much gave up on bumpy planets. The simplest fix I came up with is to create a second, slightly larger sphere around the planet with a black material with altitude and blend transparency (sort of opposite to putting a planet in the sky). If the black area covers exactly half the sphere, and the blend is made quite sharp, you can manipulate the second sphere so the blend zone coincides with the terminator on the planet. Obviously this technique can only work when the dark side of the planet is completely unlit.

I hope the attached images illustrate the result.

It works nicely around volume atmospheres, too. Incidentally, a high quality volumetric with full shading will solve the lighting weirdnesses.

Another method that can help reduce a harsh (bump) terminator line is to enable soft shadows in the regular renderer. If the bump height is in single figures and the bump has fairly high frequency, then the “extra suns” can smooth things out.

sphere_bump_nice.jpg
    850 x 850 - 123K
    sphere_bump_grim.jpg
    850 x 850 - 125K
    edited December 1969

Heh, well looking on my plasma screen I can see I didn't hide the line as successfully as it looked on my computer monitor. Still better, though. Need to alter the position and reduce the blend zone further.

edited December 1969

Procedural planets and nebulae.

moore-cluster4.jpg
    1120 x 768 - 112K
    Stellar-Nursery9.jpg
    1120 x 768 - 163K
    planet893a7-st3.jpg
    992 x 706 - 135K
    edited December 1969

@chohole - Yes. The water is better splashy that way. I also like the run off behind the mill, and the Maple across the stream. The open door gives it feeling of welcome.

_PJF_ - The second, um, moon is far better than the first. Far better. Don't be so hard on yourself. Those other space scenes; did you use Hubble?

edited December 1969

@Pam - the mill turned out really nice. Never mind render time when you get such a nice artwork as result.

@Peter - great space scenes. Interesting observation about bump spoiling the transition. Thanks for sharing. I wonder whether bump is really important since elevations are so small compared to the diameter of the body. Well, if it works it does make it look more dramatic.

edited December 1969

Thanks all.

I am glad I finally finished that one. In a way it is my tribute image for Jaderail, as he was encouraging me on that one, and helped me find the Watermill model as well. I think that is why I was putting off finishing it. Sort of lost my mojo. Still haven't got used to not having him around to chat to, he was a great friend.

Is added to my Gallery now.

• FishtalesFishtales Posts: 6,043
    edited December 1969

GussNemo said:

@Sandy: Newest scene is nice, though a bit small for these old eyes to see a lot of detail.

The one with the hills and loch?

That was only the beginning :-)

I have been working on it over the past few days and will put it up on the DAZ forum later rather than keep putting DAZ renders in here as it is the Bryce forum. I don't want to get banned :-)

edited August 2014

Thanks for that helpful fix, _PJF_ re: planetary bumpiness/shadow transition at the terminator. Will keep it as a reference for future spacey works.

Nice one, chohole - way better than the first attempt. Auhh, to live in such a mill. In my youth there was an old mill (it produced shovels and the like) nearby, and it was just paradise for friends and I - fishing, swimming, exploration...etc. Unlike yours, the water was below the level of the wheel's centre, so it rotated backwards, which then produced the hammer for shaping the shovels.

Jay

Post edited by Jamahoney on
  • FishtalesFishtales Posts: 6,043
    edited December 1969

@GussNemo

The final render is on this thread.

http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/45192/

This discussion has been closed.