Modelling for different Genesis base characters?

WinthrodWinthrod Posts: 66
edited December 1969 in Technical Help (nuts n bolts)

I'm working a hat for Genesis. I used the Genesis base figure to model it. I brought the obj hat in to DAZ and fitted it to the Genesis base figure and saved it as a figure/prop asset as a follower/wardrobe/headwear.

If I load the hat to a Genesis basic male, or female, character it works just fine. If I try loading it to an M5 or M5 Heroic it will try to fit to the head but the autofit seems to have obvious problems - the brim and around the head gets some bad deformations in it that really mess it up. I tried upping the Autosmooth but that didn't work.

Anybody have any ideas of how to fix this? I guess what I'm asking is if it would be best to make models for each of the different characters? Or is there a better way to save the hat so that it fits multiple figures better?

Additionally, is there any interest in a set of fedoras of different styles?

Comments

• WinthrodWinthrod Posts: 66
    edited December 1969

Sorry, this is in the wrong forum. :(

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565
    edited December 1969

Moved to Nuts & Bolts

• JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Winthrod said:
    Additionally, is there any interest in a set of fedoras of different styles?
    I have zero to offer on the the how too. But YES!! I would love some nice Fedoras for my men. All of them if you can...
    edited December 1969

Well Jaderail, what I have in mind is two sets of three fedoras. Then some top hats, then some straw hats, a set of military hats (caubeen, beret, etc.), then maybe some cowboy hats. :cheese:

edited December 1969

Would clothing made for the Genesis basic male figure fit well on M5, or M5 Heroic? Or would one need to mod the clothing to fit the individual genesis characters?

The reason I'm asking is because I'm working on a hat for Genesis. I used the Genesis base figure to model it. I brought the .obj hat in to DAZ and fitted it to the Genesis base figure and saved it as a figure/prop asset as a follower/wardrobe/headwear.

If I load the hat to a Genesis basic male, or female, character it works just fine. If I try loading it to an M5 or M5 Heroic it will try to fit to the head but the autofit seems to have obvious problems - the brim and around the head gets some bad deformations in it that really mess it up. I tried upping the Autosmooth but that didn't work. Even just adding the hat to Aiko 5 it starts to deform. Additionally, I set up the hat with a scale morph and bumping that up only made the hat bigger - with the deformations.

Anybody have any ideas of how to fix this? I guess what I'm asking is if it would be best to make models for each of the different characters? Or is there a better way to save the hat so that it fits multiple figures better?

Additionally, is there any interest in a set of fedoras of different styles? I know Jaderail would like some. :cheese:

• JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Well hurry up, I'm waiting... LOL. Cool looking forward to seeing your work.

• Herald of FireHerald of Fire Posts: 3,504
    edited December 1969

For different figures you'll want individual morphs for each figure you want compatibility with. The main reason is because figure morphs tend to reshape the head quite drastically, so you will rarely ever get a one-size-fits-all solution for dealing with it. Slosh's Spex is one example of a face item which has multiple custom morphs to deal with the changes made by additional morphs.

This is true for everything, not simply headwear. If you want the best look, having a custom morph is the best way to go about it. Incidentally, if you do have a morph for individual figures, it's easy to rig it so that it is automatically dialled whenever the parent figure has those morphs applied.

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,849
    edited December 1969

Merged duplicate threads - if you post in the wrong place please ask the mods to move the thread rather than starting a new thread.

edited December 1969

Thanks @HeraldofFire! I thought that might be the case.

Now, when I create morphs for the various characters do I hide those morphs and will Studio know which one to use depending on the morphs applied to the character? Do I need to use the same name as the morph? In looking at the DA_Festive_Hat it seems to know and fit to the various characters - how does it do that? There does not seem to be any 'fit to' morphs for the DA_Festive_Hat.

Also, for @Jaderail I've included a couple of wip pictures for anticipation. :coolsmile:

f2-test-01.png
    500 x 500 - 451K
    f1-test-01.png
    500 x 500 - 364K
  • jestmartjestmart Posts: 4,449
    edited December 1969

I would think it would be better to just make the hats props and parent them to the head.

edited December 1969

@jestmart that is a definite possibility. I just like the idea of automating the process. :)