Look at my Hair: official thread [Commercial] RELEASED!

Comments

• JOdelJOdel Posts: 6,242
    edited December 2012

I thought it came out very well myself. Admittedly, smacking a render with the Oil Painting filter in SnapArt in Photoshop goes a *long* way toward improving the look of old models with painted-on fur, but not all of one's projects are really eligible for "artifying".

I think I can deal with this. It will take a certain amount of twiddling, but the results are good enough from blundering about not knowing what I'm doing, to keep me trying.

Post edited by JOdel on
    edited December 1969

Mind you, I think I'm going to have to see what rendering it with a lower density of hair on the model with the ambient lightened and opacity lowered will do. 1,500,000 folicles is probably overkill. And the shorter hairs should probably be the denser number rather than the longer.

• Alessandro MastronardiAlessandro Mastronardi Posts: 2,593
    edited December 2012

carrie58 said:
    Oh!! Oh!! I is sooooo happy !! Here's my first try with LAMH I am in love!! So AA are ya married? heeeeheeeh sorry couldn't help myself this is great!!

Hi carrie, yes I do have a g/f but who knows in the future ? LOL
    Seriously, thanks I'm glad you are having fun with my new toy. Allow me to give a suggestion about lighting when rendering tiny bits of geometry as hair/fur.
    As you can see some parts of the fur are not matching the underlying model shading (I highlighted those areas in the attached image).
    Common practice to get a smooth shading between fur and the underlying model, is to set the model shading to "Matte", use very low Specular Intensity, and add a light that has an Occlusion component, such as the UE2. That will give a better render result.

index.png
    615 x 534 - 359K
    Post edited by Alessandro Mastronardi on
    edited December 1969

JOdel said:
    Like I say, I don't know whether I'll ever be able to render a scene with anything but the cat in it, but I can render a long-haired cat. It probably took something like 4-5 hours, but I went to bed after 3 and just left the computer chewing on it.

I exported it with 1,000,000 folicles, and could still see the model inside it. So I exported another with 500,000 and let the model wear them both. Then got a bright idea (which may not be bright at all, but seems to have worked) of selecting the original figure, going into the surfaces tab, selecting the "fur" matt zone, and changing the ambient color practically to white, and lowering the opacity to about 75%.

Question: why is there an inner ear zone for the hair? I turned it off on both exports, but is it a blend zone at just the edge and should be left on?

Beautiful render Jodel! As I wrote to carrie58, to make the model less noticeable, or you use a very high hair count, maybe raising a bit hair width so that fur will actually cover the whole body, or you might want to try, if you already didn't, to use a light with an ambient occlusion component such as the UE2, that should mitigate the transition between fur and underlying body model. Also, in my renders I usually set the model shading to "Matte" and turn down Specular Intensity, so that the underlying surface won't be too shiny and visible through the hair.
    Anyway, as I said, very nice render.
    How about trying something else than a cat? :)

• Mari-AnneMari-Anne Posts: 363
    edited December 1969

I'm sure it's right there in front of me, but how the heck do you open the Group Materials Setup Window?"

edited December 1969

Mari-Anne said:
    I'm sure it's right there in front of me, but how the heck do you open the Group Materials Setup Window?"

Take a look at manual pages 15-16...

• Mari-AnneMari-Anne Posts: 363
    edited December 1969

Take a look at manual pages 15-16...[/quote

Blushing profusely...I was staring at page 16 and somehow managed to overlook pg 15:red:

edited December 2012

Simple punk-like style created for Genesis. You can grab it here: http://www.furrythings.com/presets_depot/Genesis-Punk.zip

Will make a better one, with denser hair and side razor short hair soon...

Genesis_punk.jpg
    728 x 921 - 258K
    Post edited by Alessandro Mastronardi on
  • RarethRareth Posts: 1,458
    edited December 1969

Simple punk-like style created for Genesis. You can grab it here: http://www.furrythings.com/presets_depot/Genesis-Punk.zip

Will make a better one, with denser hair and side razor short hair soon...

That is awesome looking

edited December 1969

A better example of punk still with short razor hair...

punk_full_3.jpg
    790 x 1016 - 362K
  • nightkinnightkin Posts: 194
    edited December 2012

HELP!
    I just bought LAMH and tried several times to install it - but it does not appear to have installed, and i cant find any menu to create a new hair object. i dont know what is wrong - i looked in my directory, and the dll file is in the plug in folder - but nothing is coming up. any suggestions.?

in the list of plugins it says failed to upload - that the files are not valid DAZ studio files. i am using daz 4 - is that the right program?

Post edited by nightkin on
    edited December 1969

ah - i think i found the problem. i think it only works on daz 4.5 - mine is daz 4.0. i guess i need to upgrade my studio

edited December 1969

still not having much luck. i've installed v4.5 of studio, and i now have the plugin - but when i try to run it, studio crashes. maybe i need a better computer or something.

• Kendall SearsKendall Sears Posts: 2,995
    edited December 1969

nightkin said:
    still not having much luck. i've installed v4.5 of studio, and i now have the plugin - but when i try to run it, studio crashes. maybe i need a better computer or something.

Hi Nightkin,
    Contact me via email: krsears (at) trdc.biz and I will help you get LAMH running.

Kendall

• Melissa ConwayMelissa Conway Posts: 590
    edited December 1969

Alessandro and Kendall ~ I just wanted to pop in to say THANK YOU for all your hard work. Look at my Hair is wonderful. I've been a lurky-loo from the beginning of this thread, and I snapped LAMH up the instant it became available. Almost two years ago, I bought Carrara specifically because I could make hair in it, but I was never able to get a decent result. All I wanted was to create a character from one of my books, but it seemed impossible short of purchasing ZBrush, which is too expensive. My character doesn't have normal hair - she's got a porcupine grafted to her head (specifically, a North American Porcupine), so bringing her to 'life' has been a huge challenge. I switched to DAZ because I really love Genesis, and now with LAMH (and a little persistence to figure out HOW to create her unique 'hair'), I've finally got my Bryn.

(Thanks again!) :-)

BRYNwithLAMHquills.jpg
    1000 x 1000 - 377K
    edited December 2012

Alessandro and Kendall ~ I just wanted to pop in to say THANK YOU for all your hard work. Look at my Hair is wonderful. I've been a lurky-loo from the beginning of this thread, and I snapped LAMH up the instant it became available. Almost two years ago, I bought Carrara specifically because I could make hair in it, but I was never able to get a decent result. All I wanted was to create a character from one of my books, but it seemed impossible short of purchasing ZBrush, which is too expensive. My character doesn't have normal hair - she's got a porcupine grafted to her head (specifically, a North American Porcupine), so bringing her to 'life' has been a huge challenge. I switched to DAZ because I really love Genesis, and now with LAMH (and a little persistence to figure out HOW to create her unique 'hair'), I've finally got my Bryn.

That is awesome, Melissa! I'm glad that you were able to visualize your character.

Alex and I want to thank you Melissa, and all of you here in the forums, for your support of LAMH. We'd like to let you know how much it means to have created a product that has been as welcomed as LAMH has.

Kendall

Post edited by Kendall Sears on
    edited December 1969

Kendall - i cant email you - i am not allowed access to the email consol.

edited December 1969

nightkin said:
    Kendall - i cant email you - i am not allowed access to the email consol.

Just use your normal email package. My email address is: krsears (at) trdc.biz

Kendall

edited December 1969

well my styling skills still need alot of work...

girlswithguns.jpg
    1024 x 1024 - 151K
    edited December 1969

JOdel said:
    Like I say, I don't know whether I'll ever be able to render a scene with anything but the cat in it, but I can render a long-haired cat. It probably took something like 4-5 hours, but I went to bed after 3 and just left the computer chewing on it.

I exported it with 1,000,000 folicles, and could still see the model inside it. So I exported another with 500,000 and let the model wear them both. Then got a bright idea (which may not be bright at all, but seems to have worked) of selecting the original figure, going into the surfaces tab, selecting the "fur" matt zone, and changing the ambient color practically to white, and lowering the opacity to about 75%.

Question: why is there an inner ear zone for the hair? I turned it off on both exports, but is it a blend zone at just the edge and should be left on?

Beautiful render Jodel! As I wrote to carrie58, to make the model less noticeable, or you use a very high hair count, maybe raising a bit hair width so that fur will actually cover the whole body, or you might want to try, if you already didn't, to use a light with an ambient occlusion component such as the UE2, that should mitigate the transition between fur and underlying body model. Also, in my renders I usually set the model shading to "Matte" and turn down Specular Intensity, so that the underlying surface won't be too shiny and visible through the hair.
    Anyway, as I said, very nice render.
    How about trying something else than a cat? :)

Ah, didn't think to change to matte (duh!) or mess with the specular. The lights were the Jasmin 'toon lights from 3DUniverse. Next time I try something I'll remember that.

edited December 1969

Hi Melissa, thank you very much for sharing your awesome render and I'm glad to hear you enjoy using LAMH and you were able to accomplish the character you wanted for so long time! :)

edited December 1969

Rareth said:
    well my styling skills still need alot of work...

Nice model Rareth, I can tell your styling skills are really looking good. As we'll finally have collision detection, combing will be even much easier and effective.

• commorancycommorancy Posts: 39
    edited December 1969

Character 'Heavy Metal' with Mohawk :) Submitted at Alessandro's request. Thanks for the great hair tool Alessandro.

HeavyMetal1024.jpg
    1024 x 1024 - 178K
    edited December 1969

still working on shaping hair.

hairshape-test2.jpg
    1024 x 1024 - 211K
    edited December 1969

Character 'Heavy Metal' with Mohawk :) Submitted at Alessandro's request. Thanks for the great hair tool Alessandro.

Love it!

edited December 1969

Rareth said:

Nice style Rareth, you're getting very good at it!

edited December 1969

Rareth said:

Nice style Rareth, you're getting very good at it!

I have about 8 presets so far just off this one wip, the hair is gradually being lengthened as I shape it,

• RhaleRhale Posts: 77
    edited December 1969

Can this be installed on more than one machine? I installed on my desktop at home, I am now visiting family and trying to install on my laptop but the plugin won't seem to accept the auth. code.

edited December 1969

Rhale_2 said:
    Can this be installed on more than one machine? I installed on my desktop at home, I am now visiting family and trying to install on my laptop but the plugin won't seem to accept the auth. code.

Hi RHale if you need another activation code, please email me the Serial Number displayed on the 2nd computer and I'll provide you the activation data.
    My email is: My email is info_at_alessandromastronardi.com (replace "_at_" with "@").

edited December 1969

Rhale_2 said:

Hi, just emailed you the data you asked. :)

This discussion has been closed.