Off to the Retirement Home for TC2?

2»

Comments

• KharmaKharma Posts: 3,214
    edited December 1969

TC2 does not have a converter for A3, even tho it is listed on their website it will take you to a 404 error at DAZ, but as long as I can transfer morphs over to Genesis and G2, I will have the look of the character and can use a newer texture that is similar on that morph correct to have almost the same character? I haven't done any Gen 3 characters with GenX still working with Gen4 at the moment

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,816
    edited January 2014

funny thing is I have A3 and not V3 but their textures have the same UV
    I have used it quite at bit and with the secondlife plugin can even map Daz faces to my iClone avatars
    was hoping for a genesis version but alas this is not going to happen it seems

iclone_Gwynn.jpg
    1440 x 1080 - 634K
    iclone_Gwynn.jpg
    1440 x 1080 - 748K
    Post edited by WendyLuvsCatz on
    edited December 1969

and using map transfer put Genesis Gorilla converted to M4 onto iClone Gwynn using the secondlife plugin

iclone_Gwynn.jpg
    1440 x 1080 - 753K
  • kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,575
    edited January 2014

Zev0 said:
    Oh Crap, HeraldOfFire you are correct......my mistake...I don't have them either. Why the hell did I think I had them:( sigh...sorry I apologize. Ok this is a clear sign that I need to go sleep:)

...I opened a scene I created with Aiko3 and her UV shows up with a generic label of "default UVs" in the Surfacing/tab. When clicking that selection, no other UV options appear in the drop down menu. Hence why there are no Gen3 UV options that show up for a character built on Genesis.

Yes, someone has to pick up the ball so we can convert Gen3 skins to Genesis (there are actually quite a few nice ones for Aiko3, and MilTeens3 by Thorne/Sarsa).

Yeah, the abandonment of the Windows platform is a bother.

Post edited by kyoto kid on
  • fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565
    edited December 1969

Kyoto Kid said:

...I opened a scene I created with Aiko3 and her UV shows up with a generic label of "default UVs" in the Surfacing/tab. When clicking that selection, no other UV options appear in the drop down menu. Hence why there are no Gen3 UV options that show up for a character built on Genesis.

That's true for all Poser-format figures -- they don't have multiple UV sets. And it wouldn't matter anyway -- the UV sets for Genesis have nothing to do with whether there are multiple UV sets on the figure you're transferring from.

• icprncssicprncss Posts: 3,694
    edited December 1969

The difference between A3 and V3 is that A3 has an extra mat zone in leg. Doesn't the gen 3 Girl have a V3 UV as well as a separate UV?

edited December 1969

...just went though all my Gen3 figures and they show with only the "Default UVs" label under "UV Set" in the surfaces tab.

edited January 2014

Kyoto Kid said:

That's true for all Poser-format figures -- they don't have multiple UV sets. And it wouldn't matter anyway -- the UV sets for Genesis have nothing to do with whether there are multiple UV sets on the figure you're transferring from.
    ...well in this case they do. You first have to switch the UV set for Genesis to the texture's UV set before applying the older texture, otherwise you get seam and mismatch issues. As there is no base "Aiko3, Girl3, etc. UV Set option for Genesis, the texture will simply not transfer over without some form of conversion plugin for that figure like the base TC2/em] or TC2 for V3.

• Herald of FireHerald of Fire Posts: 3,504
    edited January 2014

Kyoto Kid said:
    ...well in this case they do. You first have to switch the UV set for Genesis to the texture's UV set before applying the older texture, otherwise you get seam and mismatch issues. As there is no base "Aiko3, Girl3, etc. UV Set option for Genesis, the texture will simply not transfer over without some form of conversion plugin for that figure like the base TC2 or TC2 for V3.
    What he's saying is that the base figure will always show as having 'default UVs' because unlike Genesis they don't have swappable UVs by default. Genesis doesn't have V3 UVs because the texture maps wouldn't match up (limbs and body are combined on the same V3 texture map, for example) so it can't easily be divided into the new material groups.

You can't map transfer unless Genesis already supports the target UV, which is why it's unsuitable for Generation 3 textures. That being said, you get seams even when they are compatible. I'm not entirely sure how best to remove them, but after looking into it in great detail it seems I'm far from alone in experiencing this issue.

Post edited by Herald of Fire on
  • PendraiaPendraia Posts: 3,591
    edited December 1969

Kyoto Kid said:
    Zev0 said:
    Oh Crap, HeraldOfFire you are correct......my mistake...I don't have them either. Why the hell did I think I had them:( sigh...sorry I apologize. Ok this is a clear sign that I need to go sleep:)

Yes, someone has to pick up the ball so we can convert Gen3 skins to Genesis (there are actually quite a few nice ones for Aiko3, and MilTeens3 by Thorne/Sarsa).

Yeah, the abandonment of the Windows platform is a bother.Texture transformer that was released last year currently converts v4 to dawn. The person who created it did have plans to create other conversions...it may be worth contacting the vender. It can be found at a couple of sites.

edited January 2014

Kyoto Kid said:
    ...well in this case they do. You first have to switch the UV set for Genesis to the texture's UV set before applying the older texture, otherwise you get seam and mismatch issues. As there is no base "Aiko3, Girl3, etc. UV Set option for Genesis, the texture will simply not transfer over without some form of conversion plugin for that figure like the base TC2 or TC2 for V3.
    What he's saying is that the base figure will always show as having 'default UVs' because unlike Genesis they don't have swappable UVs by default. Genesis doesn't have V3 UVs because the texture maps wouldn't match up (limbs and body are combined on the same V3 texture map, for example) so it can't easily be divided into the new material groups.

You can't map transfer unless Genesis already supports the target UV, which is why it's unsuitable for Generation 3 textures. That being said, you get seams even when they are compatible. I'm not entirely sure how best to remove them, but after looking into it in great detail it seems I'm far from alone in experiencing this issue.
    ...having a little bit of difficulty understanding this.

Aiko3 actually has more Material zones (mostly for the eyes) than Genesis, Pretty much all the "skin mat zones" are the same. She also has separate torso, head, and limb zones just like Genesis so technically a conversion should work if you had the right UV set.

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,858
    edited December 1969

Kyoto Kid said:
    Kyoto Kid said:

...having a little bit of difficulty understanding this.

Aiko3 actually has more Material zones (mostly for the eyes) than Genesis, Pretty much all the "skin mat zones" are the same. She also has separate torso, head, and limb zones just like Genesis so technically a conversion should work if you had the right UV set.

Genesis cannot use Gen3 textures raw because the material zones are split up differently. The maps must be converted to a fourth generation, or later, mapping using something like Texture Converter. The UV set on Genesis will revert to Victoria 4 for Poser material files, and will need to be changed manually afterwards if some other UV set was used, but DS presets should usually include the UV Set.

• Herald of FireHerald of Fire Posts: 3,504
    edited January 2014

Kyoto Kid said:
    The problems arise when one material zone on Genesis is divided across 2 material files on Aiko. As an example, the head of Aiko is one single material file, but the head is divided between the torso and face maps on Generation 4 and beyond.
    Post edited by Herald of Fire on
  • mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    edited December 1969

As to the seam issue...it seems that textures made with 'hard' edges that stop at the exact edge of the template and have a background color that is very different than the 'base' color are more likely to cause visible seams. Those that have 'fuzzy' edges or have a background color that is the 'base' color don't...and little things like that would tend to be emphasized more during a conversion process.

edited January 2014

...so using an Aiko3 texture requires two conversions then, once Aiko?Vicky4 then from that to Genesis or G2F (if one has the V4 clone for G2F). Unfortunately broke and do not have TC2 (fairly expensive application and I don't see anything about Aiko3 in the plugins, just V3 M4 A4 V4 and a several other figures which makes it sort of pointless).

Abandoning further development for the Windows/PC platform is a serious "downgrade".

Bugger.

• pwiecekpwiecek Posts: 1,538
    edited December 1969

A3 textures are the same as V3 textures except that the legs have different material zones. They will convert.

edited December 1969

...at 35$ for the application and plugin, still can't afford it.

Not been in the mood to work on much anyway these days anyway thanks to the dire situation I and about two million others are in with unemployment benefits having ended as of the close of last year and the extension measure effectively dead due to partisan bickering.

edited December 1969

sorry about your hard times KK (hugs)
    I bought ALL my TC plugins on sale BTW when you are back on your feet another 3DU one might come around

• SlimerJSpudSlimerJSpud Posts: 1,453
    edited December 1969

I picked up the TC2 on sale a while back, with the needed plugins. I thought it did a pretty good job letting me use the Marie Elite V4 texture on Laura3, but I did have to run it multiple times to convert the spec, bump and SSS maps, then apply all textures manually. For A3, all you need to do is convert to/from V3 and apply that leg zone manually.

edited December 1969

they have made David and Michael 3 and the secondlife avatar inactive too by looks
    ( I use it for iClone NOT secondlife BTW)

• JOdelJOdel Posts: 6,253
    edited December 1969

Developing *for* the Mac OSx platform, or developing *on* the Mac OSX platform?

I was always miffed not to be able to use TC2 since I'm on a Mac. But while there are gen3 skins I'd have liked to transfer over, there are so many gen4 skins that I can use natively that it's mostly just a minor grumph.

Of course what matter is what's being developed. Most of 3DU's products are usable on anything.

edited January 2014

...can't use Sadie "classic" skins on Genesis Sadie.

...and Sylfie just isn't Sylfie with someone else's skin.

• KharmaKharma Posts: 3,214
    edited December 1969

I picked up the TC2 on sale a while back, with the needed plugins. I thought it did a pretty good job letting me use the Marie Elite V4 texture on Laura3, but I did have to run it multiple times to convert the spec, bump and SSS maps, then apply all textures manually. For A3, all you need to do is convert to/from V3 and apply that leg zone manually.

So I don't need TC2 for Aiko 3, just the V3 one? that is good to know, now I may grab it when the next sale on 3DU hits

• KatteyKattey Posts: 2,899
    edited December 1969

Kharma said:

So I don't need TC2 for Aiko 3, just the V3 one? that is good to know, now I may grab it when the next sale on 3DU hits
    I never had problems when converting Aiko 3 skins with V3 option.

• SlimerJSpudSlimerJSpud Posts: 1,453
    edited December 1969

Well, proof is in the pudding, as they say. Here's a render with A3 wearing the Marie Elite V4 skin. There are 3 extra zones in the legs: Thigh, Knee, and Shin. In Daz Studio, normally, you can copy one material zone and paste to another, which would have worked fine with the Daz default shader. Using the HSS, I had to invoke the shader separately on each of the three zones before the copy&paste; would work. Otherwise, a "seamless" flow to coin a phrase...

• RCDescheneRCDeschene Posts: 2,799
    edited December 1969

they have made David and Michael 3 and the secondlife avatar inactive too by looks

Yeah, when 3DUniverse's shop went on sale, I went to go look for the M3 & D3 plug-in, only to see the product completely gone!

Is he gradually ripping the TC2 from the DAZ site?

• KeryaKerya Posts: 10,943
    edited December 1969

Yeah, when 3DUniverse's shop went on sale, I went to go look for the M3 & D3 plug-in, only to see the product completely gone!

I am afraid it'sbecause the TC plugin for M3 & D3 constantly is throwing errors with antivirus software - usually I am saving installers on my external harddrives, this one is killed by my Antivirus even when telling it to ignore it.

• DkgooseDkgoose Posts: 1,451
    edited December 1969

can the map transfer in Studio convert like David 5 to Genesis 2 Male? I've never used it.

edited December 1969

Kerya said:

I am afraid it'sbecause the TC plugin for M3 & D3 constantly is throwing errors with antivirus software - usually I am saving installers on my external harddrives, this one is killed by my Antivirus even when telling it to ignore it.
    I noticed that and got it to ignore (malwarebytes)

edited December 1969

...this saddens me because I love 3DU's characters, Sadie in particular.

This also feels reminiscent of Dreamlight's abandoning of the original "LDP" concept.