Save a Character to be accessible from the Smart Content window?

Testing6790Testing6790 Posts: 1,091
edited December 1969 in The Commons

As my title says, I want to be able to save a character with mats, props, hair, morphs, whatever I want and load it from the Smart Content window. I know I can save the desired character in files and open them that way, but I'd prefer the integration. Anyone know how?

Thanks.

Comments

• SpitSpit Posts: 2,342
    edited December 1969

Yeah, but the images don't come up. :ohh:

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,655
    edited December 1969

If you copy the relative path from the clump of html - postimages/.. up to and including the extension - and paste it after http://forumarchive.daz3d.com/ you wil get a valid url for the image. Casual did write a scriptt o automate this.

• cridgitcridgit Posts: 1,757
    edited May 2022

Redacted

Post edited by cridgit on
  • Jeanne MJeanne M Posts: 652
    edited December 1969

YES! Thank you Cridgit! I heard/read you did a great job providing these tutorials but couldn't find them. Now I'm playing a bit with these "supportfiles" because I place the productfiles sometimes (=most of the times LOL) different than the default so I have to adjust them of course. Now I can look and learn from the tutorial. Would be much easier than Trial and Stumble I suppose. :-)

I still think I can access the things I need much easier the way I did it before but I can see the potential of using metadata, whenever I've finished them... :P

Love, Jeanne

edited May 2022

Redacted

edited July 2012

Hi Cridgit,

Well, I'm Dutch so I have to search for the right words in English and often enough I don't choose the exactly right words for what I mean to say so I am not surprised you don't understand what I wrote. :)

I install always into a testfolder, then rename the appropriate folders to my liking, copy them into my "DS4content" folder (what is default My Library) , rar everything in my testfolder -original installer(s) and unpacked files- and put that rar on one of my external drives.

I noticed, after I installed DS4.5 on my test computer, the newer stuff didn't show in the smart content so I opened the supportfiles in my text program (editpad lite) and noticed the paths were different, so I changed the path in the .dsx file.

I use Poser more so on my main computer I have DS4.0.3.47 installed and Poser 9 and I don't use the smart tab nor the contentmanager there. :)

I hope I used the right words and phrases now.

Love, Jeanne

Post edited by Jeanne M on
    edited May 2022

Redacted

edited December 1969

cridgit said:
    Aaah. Well I lived in Holland for several years near Hilversum. I liked it, except for "het rotweer" ;-)

If you like to rearrange folders then you could try to install to the default folder, then in DAZ Studio right-click on a content item and choose Database > Edit Base Paths. That might be an easier way to move files around without hacking the DSX file.

Send me a PM if you want to ask something in Dutch.

mvg

Oh yes, the "rotweer" Tell me about it!! LOL Can you imagine we lived several years at Curaçao and I wanted to go back because I thought I missed that "rotweer"!! Boy, was I wrong!!

But "alle gekheid op een stokje" Do you know that expression? It means -more or less- let's go back to serious talking now. :) I don't have categories in DS. What did they do with that? I used it in DS3 untill I couldn't add more runtimes because every time DS started to complain about too many runtimes :P
    I have everything in external runtimes, about 102 GB in about 55 runtimes, and that's only the Poser runtimes. I also have a DS3 content folder(8Gb) and a DS4 content folder(4.5 G). Can you imagine converting all that to this socalled smart content? Well, I can't ... for now.

But now I'm testing this new version of DS4.5 and I thought let me give the smart content stuff a try and I like the way I can access the things but there is no consistency in the dsx files. I downloaded your tutorials and was reading them today but as far as I could figure one can better start having the categoy view in DS to adjust the metadata, so.... not having that I think I'd better "hack" the dsx files.

You said the paths are relative but when I rename the DAZ Studio Tutorial folder, for instance, in Tutorials... the files don't show up. That's why I thought I change the path in the dsx files because now they show. :) Besides, I'm a bit familiar in modifying script files -as long as they can be opened in a text editor- a bit so I can "read" code more or less.

Oh, another thing, I saw categories showing in DS4.5 so the categories need the content manager I presume? Just like the smart content? Because before I started this manager I didn't see the categories and after I started it, and restarted DS, they showed up. As I said earlier, I don't have this contentmanager installed on my main computer therefore I think there are no categories on that.

And now I'm off to bed, it's already after midnight here in Holland.
    Have a great day and thanks again for the tutorials/manuals. I hope DAZ paid you well for it. ;-)

Love, Jeanne
  • fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565
    edited December 1969

Yes, Categories do require the CMS as well.

You can turn off the warning about "you have ore than 10 content folders" by ticking the check-box "do not show this message again".

Here's how to migrate your DS3 content folder list and categories to DS4:

When you first run DS4 it should ask you if you want to "Import Mapped Folders" and if you want to "Migrate the Content Database". You can access these options from the Content Library options menu if it doesn't prompt you automatically.

It should also ask if you want to import metadata. If you want to put the default content in your own categories, uncheck them -- then the default content will all appear in Default > Unassigned.

First "Import Mapped Folders". If you then look at the Content Library tab you can click on "DAZ Studio Content Folders" or "Poser Content Folders" and see the folders as they are on disk, equivalent to the Folder view in DS3.

Then "Migrate the Content Database" to import the Content Database used in the Category view in DS3. After you do this, clicking on "Categories" in the Content Library tab in DS4 will give you the equivalent of the Category view in DS3, plus an extra top-level category "Default" for the DS4 content.

[Note: Migrating will skip items which have non-English characters, such as diacritical marks.]

edited May 2022

Redacted