• KeryaKerya Posts: 10,943
    edited December 1969

Missing Readme
    http://docs.daz3d.com/doku.php/public/read_me/index/17075/start
    This is a placeholder for the ...

• Mr Gneiss GuyMr Gneiss Guy Posts: 462
    edited November 2013

JOdel said:
    I *have* noticed over on Rendo that a few vendors who ignored Genesis have rather gingerly brought out some items for Gen2F.

I don't know whether that's anything specific to do with Gen2F or that if they were intending to branch out anyway, they prefer to try it with a Genesis-based figure rather than jumping over to Dawn.

The handful or so of vendors who adopted Genesis already have brought out items for the later iteration of Genesis.

It will be interesting to see whether they start playing with M6 quicker than they did V6 (unlikely), or M5 (not difficult).

I'd say part of the reason you are seeing Genesis 2 figure adoption isn't that it is so much better than Genesis was, but I think a lot of vendors who were "Poser Only, DS not supported" focused are starting to realize that the DS using market is a lot bigger than they thought. For years they skated by because we were grudgingly willing to do the grunt work of making DS materials that worked, rather than the "basic mat" that a lot of vendors thought was good enough. But time doesn't stand still, and since some (yes, I know, not all) of the DS market has moved on to Genesis and Genesis 2, we are no longer buying their V4 stuff, I would imagine they start to notice that, and if they want to make a living at this, they have to meet market demand. And I am sure there is a non-zero number of Poser users who also like Genesis, conversion bumps and all.

Dawn just isn't for me. For one thing, despite Hivewire's attempt to accomodate both user bases, a lot of the third party products followed the "DS not supported", or "Not tested in DS" policy that I mentioned above. I can't let my dollars reward that anymore.

Post edited by Mr Gneiss Guy on
  • Mr Gneiss GuyMr Gneiss Guy Posts: 462
    edited November 2013

Rogerbee said:
    I think they are working on Gen X for G2, that should take care of things.

CHEERS!

EDIT:

Oh, by the way, does anyone else keep getting taken to My Account when they try and post replies or click forum links in emails!?

Yes, I've had that happen numerous times, just not in the past few weeks. I use Firefox primarily, but it might have done it to me on IE as well, not sure about that though. With all due respect to DAZ, I liked the old forums better, they just seemed to work better for me.

Post edited by Mr Gneiss Guy on
  • DaWaterRatDaWaterRat Posts: 2,882
    edited December 1969

JOdel said:
    I *have* noticed over on Rendo that a few vendors who ignored Genesis have rather gingerly brought out some items for Gen2F.

I don't know whether that's anything specific to do with Gen2F or that if they were intending to branch out anyway, they prefer to try it with a Genesis-based figure rather than jumping over to Dawn.

The handful or so of vendors who adopted Genesis already have brought out items for the later iteration of Genesis.

It will be interesting to see whether they start playing with M6 quicker than they did V6 (unlikely), or M5 (not difficult).

I'd say part of the reason you are seeing Genesis 2 figure adoption isn't that it is so much better than Genesis was, but I think a lot of vendors who were "Poser Only, DS not supported" focused are starting to realize that the DS using market is a lot bigger than they thought. For years they skated by because we were grudgingly willing to do the grunt work of making DS materials that worked, rather than the "basic mat" that a lot of vendors thought was good enough. But time doesn't stand still, and since some (yes, I know, not all) of the DS market has moved on to Genesis and Genesis 2, we are no longer buying their V4 stuff, I would imagine they start to notice that, and if they want to make a living at this, they have to meet market demand. And I am sure there is a non-zero number of Poser users who also like Genesis, conversion bumps and all.

I also think that part of the reluctance of at least some vendors was having to sculpt clothing on a gender neutral base. I mean, I'm a huge not-fan of the Gender split, but I did dabble in clothing creation, and necklines are hard when you can't see how the bust is going to influence it.

• edited December 1969

A downside to Michael 6 is that we are seeing some issues with autofit in Carrara 8.5. Also, none of our existing texture maps seem to cover him. I know someone came out with a way for older texture maps to work with Daz Studio, is there any plan to come out with one for Carrara 8.5? What sort of a timeline are we looking at?

Boojum

• DZ_jaredDZ_jared Posts: 1,316
    edited December 1969

Autofit for Genesis 2 Figures isn't supported in Carrara 8.5 yet (its listed under the Known Issues section and its something we are working on).

As far as getting your old textures to work you can do that in Carrara. G2M comes with the M5 UV set. If you purchased M4 for G2M you will also have the M4 UV set. Carrara doesn't have a front end to implement UV swapping though. UV swapping has to be done with a .duf Material(s) Preset. So essentially you'd need to create .duf Material(s) Presets in DAZ Studio that load the texture(s) and swap the UV to the correct UV. Then you could apply that .duf file in Carrara 8.5.

• TimbalesTimbales Posts: 2,221
    edited December 1969

I'm a little bit confused on some of the pre-Gen2 UV maps - like David 5 and Freak 5. Should their textures work on G2M?

edited December 1969

Off the top of my head I can't think of what UV sets the Freak 5 and David 5 used. If they have their own unique UV sets then no, those textures won't work since G2M only has the M5 UV set. If they use the M5 UV's then the textures will work.

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,219
    edited December 1969

I'm pretty sure F5 had a unique UV set, but few textures used it. If david had his own the same would be true there. Even for V5 many sets used the V5 sahpes but the V4 UV Set.

• Scott LivingstonScott Livingston Posts: 4,331
    edited December 1969

DAZ_jared said:
    Off the top of my head I can't think of what UV sets the Freak 5 and David 5 used. If they have their own unique UV sets then no, those textures won't work since G2M only has the M5 UV set. If they use the M5 UV's then the textures will work.

They use D5 and F5 UVs, which is a shame, IMHO. All is not lost, though: you could try a map transfer to convert the skins to M5 UVs. Also, Slosh has expressed interest in potentially adding Gen5 UVs to Genesis 2 figures, if there is sufficient demand.

And who knows, if they ever do an F6 or D6, maybe those will come with the ability to use F5/D5 skins on G2M.

• ServantServant Posts: 754
    edited December 1969

Rogerbee said:

CHEERS!

EDIT:

Oh, by the way, does anyone else keep getting taken to My Account when they try and post replies or click forum links in emails!?

Yes, I've had that happen numerous times, just not in the past few weeks. I use Firefox primarily, but it might have done it to me on IE as well, not sure about that though. With all due respect to DAZ, I liked the old forums better, they just seemed to work better for me.

I also use Firefox and I experience that often enough that it gets annoying. I think the forum might be optimized for Google Chrome or something.

• JOdelJOdel Posts: 6,247
    edited December 1969

I use Safari and it's only happened once to me so far (quite recently, too). Of course I wasn't logged in and I was trying to post in the member's area, so that may have been the cause there.

I *seriously* doubt that the forums are optimized for Safari.

edited December 1969

DAZ_jared said:

They use D5 and F5 UVs, which is a shame, IMHO. All is not lost, though: you could try a map transfer to convert the skins to M5 UVs. Also, Slosh has expressed interest in potentially adding Gen5 UVs to Genesis 2 figures, if there is sufficient demand.

And who knows, if they ever do an F6 or D6, maybe those will come with the ability to use F5/D5 skins on G2M.

thanks for that. D5 will load on G2M with only the Face and Lips messed up. I'm trying the conversion now.

• edited December 1969

Ok, so since Genx is talking about coming out with support for Genesis 2 male, I've decided to keep the package. Here are some things I'm seeing, however, that I would love to see fixed.

1. Michael 5 Texturemaps show in smart content for Michael 6 and work, but Michael 5 texturemaps for Michael 6 Genitals do not show in smart content. the good news is that once you find the gen texture it works properly.
    2. Genesis 2 Characters that come with the packs can be loaded, but not the textures that go with the characters. They just show black or are hidden from being selected by content management. PLEASE support the characters you release in Carrara, even if it just means loading the Poser textures!!!
    3. Existing Carrara Genesis Shaders misload onto M6. Please update Carrara to support different UV maps or make a version of M6 that can be loaded like Basic Male can for Genesis (Basic Male is Genesis 1 with M4 UV map.)
    4. Autofit for Genesis 1 clothing doesn't work on Genesis 2.
    5. Even if you buy the M4 for Genesis 2, the M4 clothing doesn't autofit in Carrara, just in Daz Studio.

For example. I have Genesis 2 Male and M4 for Genesis 2. Here is what the M4 Bodysuit looks like when you load it with the Supported Figure M4 and full body clothing autofit.

m6misfit.png
    400 x 500 - 124K
    edited December 1969

Ok, so since Genx is talking about coming out with support for Genesis 2 male, I've decided to keep the package. Here are some things I'm seeing, however, that I would love to see fixed.

1. Michael 5 Texturemaps show in smart content for Michael 6 and work, but Michael 5 texturemaps for Michael 6 Genitals do not show in smart content. the good news is that once you find the gen texture it works properly.
    2. Genesis 2 Characters that come with the packs can be loaded, but not the textures that go with the characters. They just show black or are hidden from being selected by content management. PLEASE support the characters you release in Carrara, even if it just means loading the Poser textures!!!
    3. Existing Carrara Genesis Shaders misload onto M6. Please update Carrara to support different UV maps or make a version of M6 that can be loaded like Basic Male can for Genesis (Basic Male is Genesis 1 with M4 UV map.)
    4. Autofit for Genesis 1 clothing doesn't work on Genesis 2.
    5. Even if you buy the M4 for Genesis 2, the M4 clothing doesn't autofit in Carrara, just in Daz Studio.

For example. I have Genesis 2 Male and M4 for Genesis 2. Here is what the M4 Bodysuit looks like when you load it with the Supported Figure M4 and full body clothing autofit.

you may want to apply a smoothing modifier to the bodysuit, set to collide with M6

• edited December 1969

TimG said:

you may want to apply a smoothing modifier to the bodysuit, set to collide with M6

Where in Carrara would I set the smoothing modifier you are referring to? There is no Smoothing choice under the modifiers tab for the Bodysuit. also, the only collide is when you turn on bullet physics, and I am pretty sure that isn't what you mean for me to do. I think your referring to Daz Studio settings that Daz has not supported in Carrara.

Boojum the brown bunny

edited December 1969

TimG said:

Where in Carrara would I set the smoothing modifier you are referring to? There is no Smoothing choice under the modifiers tab for the Bodysuit. also, the only collide is when you turn on bullet physics, and I am pretty sure that isn't what you mean for me to do. I think your referring to Daz Studio settings that Daz has not supported in Carrara.

Boojum the brown bunny

I misunderstood.

• edited December 1969

Ah, nevermind the autofit information. In the Carrara forums I just got pointed to the Carrara 8 Pro What's Included & Features tab where it says "AutoFit does not currently work on Genesis 2"

That would have been nice to have on the Genesis 2 page.

Gee, Genesis 2 Female has been out for a while, and now Genesis 2 male is out. Does anyone here have word on when Autofit is supposed to work for these figures?

Boojum the brown bunny

• CbirdCbird Posts: 493
    edited December 1969

DAZ_jared said:
    Autofit for Genesis 2 Figures isn't supported in Carrara 8.5 yet (its listed under the Known Issues section and its something we are working on).

As far as getting your old textures to work you can do that in Carrara. G2M comes with the M5 UV set. If you purchased M4 for G2M you will also have the M4 UV set. Carrara doesn't have a front end to implement UV swapping though. UV swapping has to be done with a .duf Material(s) Preset. So essentially you'd need to create .duf Material(s) Presets in DAZ Studio that load the texture(s) and swap the UV to the correct UV. Then you could apply that .duf file in Carrara 8.5.

Really appreciate the info Jared. Is the texture swapping also a "known issue" ie may be addressed eventually?

edited December 1969

Cbird said:
    DAZ_jared said:

Really appreciate the info Jared. Is the texture swapping also a "known issue" ie may be addressed eventually?

Well since it's not technically a bug it isn't listed under the "Known Issues," though it is know (as in the developers know about it). We are also aware that having a front end to swap UV's would be nice. I don't know how difficult it would be to implement that front end in Carrara. I doubt it is as simple as copying and pasting a line of code. The point is, I can't say whether or not it is something that will change.

• JOdelJOdel Posts: 6,247
    edited December 1969

Apart from the boxing gloves, I don't think that there was anything in the M6 Pro pack that I mightn't someday use. (Halleluja!) I'd pretty much given up on bundles for V6 and Gia. Not a bloody useful thing in either of them but a reasonably nice swimsuit. At least Girl6 and Josie got sent out with a few things that a person might actually wear.

First, though, I'm looking forward to what the M4 for M6 clone does for the autofit conundrum.

edited December 1969

BorgyB said:
    Rogerbee said:

CHEERS!

EDIT:

I also use Firefox and I experience that often enough that it gets annoying. I think the forum might be optimized for Google Chrome or something.

It happens when posts in that thread are deleted - it is not the browser ...

• ServantServant Posts: 754
    edited December 1969

Kerya said:

It happens when posts in that thread are deleted - it is not the browser ...

I'm not sure about that. I've had several experiences where it happens and once what I post appears, nothing was changed in the thread prior.

edited December 1969

Because there are Spam messages ...
    Do you read the message in the mail you get that there is a new message to a thread you are subscribed to?
    I sometimes do - especially when I get send to my account.
    Either they tell about great handbags - or they wrote something that is moderatable ...

• anikadanikad Posts: 1,919
    edited December 1969

I get taken back to my account after I log in, after being logged out by the forum software while trying to view something in the members forum. It is getting to be very annoying. I'll be viewing something in the MF then click something else and get taken to the log in screen.

edited December 1969

is there a G2M version of Genesis Evolution: Muscularity in the works?

• ScraverXScraverX Posts: 152
    edited December 1969

TimG said:

I hope so, I kinda like it on G1

• BobvanBobvan Posts: 2,652
    edited December 1969

I don't always agree on how Daz does things, having said that they always have given me great customer service.

• KhoryKhory Posts: 3,854
    edited December 1969

I can't imagine there will not be something. I wonder though if there will be an HD version as well. They would be able to add in the veining as they pop up over the muscles. Not something I personally fancy but I know many people do.

• ScraverXScraverX Posts: 152
    edited December 1969

Khory said:

I can't imagine there will not be something. I wonder though if there will be an HD version as well. They would be able to add in the veining as they pop up over the muscles. Not something I personally fancy but I know many people do.

The HD idea could work quite well I imagine.
    Interesting thought.